5.0 out of 5 stars Chris is back with a bang.
I've got to say that I don't usually do reviews, but being a huge Chris Rea fan from the beginning I thought I would give it a go after receiving his latest album The Santo Spirito Blues this morning (Thanks Amazon).
Published on 5 Sept. 2011 by Alan Lewis

2.0 out of 5 stars Disapointed
Published on 20 Sept. 2011 by Son75

5.0 out of 5 stars Chris is back with a bang., 5 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Santo Spirito Blues (Audio CD)
This is Mr Rea's best album for ages. I do think he lost his way a bit after his near fatal illness and his music reflected this. He seams to have got this off his chest now and this latest offering puts him back at the top of his game. There's not a weak track on it. Buy it, it won't disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chris Rea - The BBC think this album has something missing?, 11 Sept. 2011
J. Watkin (Whitley Bay, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Santo Spirito Blues (Audio CD)
Chris Rea - The BBC reviewer thinks this album has something missing? I don't. If you've followed Chris over the years you'll know his first love is the blues, he even said at one point he wouldn't play his old stuff, like "road to hell" again at his concerts. Well he changed his mind and last year I watched a master of his craft doing his thing at the Newcastle City Hall. This album is Chris at his best and the track "chance of love" is being compared to a Dire Straits track...make up your own mind, and I have no doubt Chris would be not be offended by that comparison?
All I have to say is this is Chris Rea doing what Chris Rea does best. He might not agree?

5.0 out of 5 stars More Rea Quality, 15 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Santo Spirito Blues (Audio CD)
My initial reaction to "Santo Spirito Blues" was a sense of deja vu. Some of the tracks had been released (in different takes) on "Blue Guitars", and I reckon that any song on this set could have found its way into that epic collection.
I don't mean to imply, however, that I have any feeling of "been there, done that" about "Santo Spirito Blues"; on the contrary, the music is absolutely excellent, as it almost always is where Chris Rea is concerned. The man has been producing top quality music for half my lifetime. During all those years he has barely made a false step, and he doesn't make one here. This is another real treat for admirers of this master craftsman's work. Keep on rockin', Chris.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disapointed, 20 Sept. 2011
Son75 (Paris France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Santo Spirito Blues (Audio CD)
I love Chris Rea's music but this time, after listening the disc 5 or 6 times, the over all impression is a certain sense of laziness. There's nothing new here. It's Chris Rea using all the old and tried tropes. He's doing it very well mind you, but unfortunately all this is also marred by my feeling that he thought that he had to up-tempo everything to simulate what is finally a false sense of energy. I came out of listening to the whole album feeling that he was bored and was eager to get over with all the songs. It's too bad because some of them, The Chance of Love for example, given more breathing space, could have been right up there with his Auberge's production.
Not as bad as The Road to Hell Part 2 (1/5 star in my book) but far from his better outings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy Blues, 14 Sept. 2011
R. Muir "fabricationsHQ" (Prestwick, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Santo Spirito Blues (Audio CD)
"...I'll do happy blues... up-tempo, lots of off-the-wall guitar, to try and shake off the blues."

The above comment is the very definition of Spirito Blues, the latest album from Chris Rea.

And the quote comes from the acclaimed singer songwriter himself, who also happens to be a great six-stringer and one of the finest slide blues guitarists in the business.

Santo Spirito Blues follows the form of most of Chris Rea's releases over the last decade. It's an album rooted in the blues, a road the musician purposely found himself travelling at the start of the Millennium after he recovered from serious illness and an operation with a predicted 50% chance of survival.

The album and its up-beat tempo is typified by tracks such as `Rock and Roll Tonight' with its Stones-esque rhythm and riffing and `Never Tie me Down,' a song for the young man with his life still ahead of him.
It's not a one dimensional album, however, and Rea does deliver a tune or three in amongst the thirteen tracks that's more laid back or slow blues.
The two lightest pieces on Santo Spirito Blues close out proceedings - the smoky blues of `Lose My Heart in You' and the country-blues tinged ballad `I Will Go On.'

The album comes in two flavours.
There's the standard album release reviewed here and a multi-disc set.
The box-set edition is a five disc release featuring three CD's and two DVD's.
The DVD's are two films written and directed by Rea.
One is what is described as "a raw and brutally honest" film on bullfighting, while the other is about a man's journey on a search for the truth in the city of Florence.
The soundtracks to both films are featured on two of the CD's while the other CD is the Santo Spirito Blues album.

The multi-disc version is yet another ambitious and interesting release from Rea (who has in the past recorded and released an 11 CD Blues set) and, having started with a comment from Mr Rea, it's only fitting we finish with another:
"I love creating things and passionately believe artists should be looking to try new ways of bringing what we do to the public. There should be no rules whatsoever and, for God's sake, there are alternatives to TV talent shows."

Amen to that, Chris.

5.0 out of 5 stars greta cd, 6 April 2014
This review is from: The Santo Spirito Blues (Audio CD)
Another brilliant cd from Chris Rea. I never tire of listening to his music. The cd came very quickly and I am happy with the supplier

3.0 out of 5 stars Master at work, 11 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Santo Spirito Blues (Audio CD)
I played this C.D. while 'driving home for Christmas' to be with my family.
Loved the tracks, seemed Chris has never lost his unique ability to demonstrate
a crafts man at work.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a superb set from Chris and his musicians ..., 26 Nov. 2013
Mr. Arthur Westbrook "Medic man" (Cumbria UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Santo Spirito Blues (Audio CD)
This is a superb set from Chris and his musicians. I have followed his career since I left Teesside many moons ago and he just keeps getting stronger. Superb!

4.0 out of 5 stars Chris Rea Slide Blues, 6 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Santo Spirito Blues (Audio CD)
Always liked Chris rea as a Blues Artist so enjoyed this offering Probably not for everybody as he has a distinctive voice but the playing is still great Good if you like this type of Blues

5.0 out of 5 stars Chris Rea, 25 July 2013
This review is from: The Santo Spirito Blues (Audio CD)
Chris Rea can do no wrong in my eyes. I have several of his CDs. I love his gravelly voice.

Santo Spirito Blues