1,077 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly as good as Roald Dahl.
Published on 21 Nov 2011 by Kate Perez

3.0 out of 5 stars sad
Published on 31 Oct 2011 by Mrs. Linda K. Richards

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly as good as Roald Dahl., 21 Nov 2011
Kate Perez (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gangsta Granny (Audio CD)
This is a great story. I really like Walliams's work for children, and I am very impressed that a man with no children (yet) is able to really "get" what children like and what they laugh at. All his stories seem to have a slightly maudlin quality at some point, which is a bit cringe-worthy, but this is a great story for the 6 to 10 year old range, and so are all the others he has written. I recommend the audio-books because Walliams reads his own work really well. We are now hoping that he writes a story specifically about Raj the marvellous shopkeeper who pops up in all the books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gansta Ganny, 19 Nov 2011
This review is from: Gangsta Granny (Hardcover)
Another SUCCESS for David Walliams. Perfect to engage those readers who hate reading. My Class have been caught, 'hook line and sinker' with his books. Ideal for guided reading and audio listening skills in class. My whole class are now looking forward to the next book by David Walliams because they are so caught up with this author's way of writing that captures young minds instantly and is a 110% encouragement to read. Recommended to all class teachers for english and guided reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding book - halarious read, 27 Jan 2014
This review is from: Gangsta Granny (Paperback)
Gangsta Granny is the perfect book if you want a laugh. The book grabs my attention so i can not put it down. I couldn't wait to read the next David Walliams book. I am 10 years old but i have enjoyed thease books since I was 9

5.0 out of 5 stars cracker, 27 Oct 2011
This review is from: Gangsta Granny (Hardcover)
Great book for my 12 year old Grandson, he thinks his Nan is the best!Good stocking filler, viewed David Williams on Jonathon Ross show when he read a short preview, and decided there & then to Purchase Gansta Granny as soon as it came out, when he's read it I think I might borrow it.Great Author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gangsta "brilliant" Granny, 6 Nov 2011
This review is from: Gangsta Granny (Kindle Edition)
this was a brilliant book the had my sides splitting and then my tears rolling (both of these not litretly) david waliams books are the only books that actually make me laugh out loud.
verdict: wonderfull book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiced-up Story, 8 Dec 2011
D. Elliott (Ulverston, Cumbria) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Gangsta Granny (Hardcover)
My first recognition of David Walliams was as a comedy actor on TV, then I was very impressed by his cross-channel swim, and by his increasing involvement in other physical events and support of charities. I can now add to my admiration the writing of children's books - after a sneak read of `Gangsta Granny' which is to be a Christmas stocking-filler for one of my grandchildren. It is most attractively presented with superb dustwrapper, endpapers (hardback) and illustrations, and inside the same techniques of spoofs and caricature are evident as in `Little Britain' for which David Walliams was a co-writer.

`Gangsta Granny' is essentially an outrageously funny story, but it is spiced-up with emotion and poignancy and there is sympathetic consideration of the elderly, illness and death. Behind a storyline appealing to children with straightforward language and dialogue there are personal interjections by the author to influence behaviour - not least to encourage readership, but also dealing with preconceptions and intolerance, and the bringing about of transformation of attitudes and relationships. However narrative skilfully avoids preaching, and with up to date references to TV programs and personalities it remains a slapstick story for kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gangsta Granny, 2 May 2014
This review is from: Gangsta Granny (Kindle Edition)
My son & I love this book! He was initially against the idea of David Walliams as he had been reading Jane Johnson books. But after the first chapter he's hooked.

4.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding., 13 July 2012
This review is from: Gangsta Granny (Hardcover)
Outstanding. This book is incredible. It is funny, adventurous, full of action and has loads of mystery. It is hard to put it down.

There is one cliff-hanger after another and unexpected events throughout; you can't get enough. Why get four different types of books when you can get an all-in-one?

The main characters in this book are Ben and his Granny. Ben dreads staying with his Granny every Friday night. Then accidentally he finds out his Granny has a dark secret. A dark secret that he is now part of... the biggest, most daring crime ever.

This book has amazing description and incredible character development. It is just long enough that you get into the book; but short enough that you don't get bored.

My only criticism is that it takes a bit of time to get into the story. The book takes your mind on all sorts of adventures.

By Jacob

3.0 out of 5 stars sad, 31 Oct 2011
This review is from: Gangsta Granny (Hardcover)
I listened to the audio CD of this book before intending to send it to my grandson. It is fun and entertaining. However I will not be sending it to him as the book has a sad end. He would be in tears ). If I were to read this book to my 8 year old grandson I would change the end to Granny moving into an Old Folks home where she spends her days tunnelling out just like in The Great Escape) using plastic spoons from the dining hall that she steals every breakfast time. For me, it is a good, original story spoilt by a sad end.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book just like all his other books David Walliams!!!!!!! :) ;) :D :3, 26 July 2014
This review is from: Gangsta Granny (Kindle Edition)
I would read this book over and over again as many times as I could.
I would recommend this book for 7+ because it would be too hard to read for 6 and below.
I would also say that adults would enjoy this book very much because every adult I told about the book they said they would watch or read this book.

Gangsta Granny