Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 28 April 2012
If like me you were not taught the WW2 period of history at school and gleaned most of your info from films, tv, etc. then this is a great summary account of all the main campaigns and events that span the war years 1939 to 1945. There are also overviews of the main characters of the war, Hitler, Churchill, etc. towards the end of the ebook. All in all, a very inexpensive way to become acquainted with WW2 in a quick easy-access manner. Clearly there are a plethora of other, free, sites on the internet that cover this subject material in a lot more detail but this is neatly packaged together in an accessible format for a quick overview - which is sole purpose of the eBook I think.
on 20 January 2013
This book is very very concise and for that reason alone, it is very well written for a book on the whole of WW2. I undertook quite a bit of research merely into how to introduce myself to WW2 history in the most effective way and almost all the books I came across relentlessly launched me into ridiculous amounts of banal detail which I found both unnecessary and uninteresting.

This book invariably sticks to interesting facts and for all its succinctness; manages to relay the story in an engaging way with clear language in paragraphs & sentences and devoid of rare/defunct lexicon. It is a story told almost consecutively to events unfolding between 1939 and 45 and is nicely divided into sectioned chapters which are also anchor-linked directly to those portions of the book. This allows you to easily re-read a chapter and maybe use it as a springboard into deeper knowledge of an area you found particularly interesting.

It truly is a brilliant introduction into World War Two and became more & more engrossing as I read through. It does a good job at linking everything together and offering a precursor into the character of key WW2 figures. I recommend reading this using the the search facility and visuals of Google-maps; it'll provide a richer experience with geographical understanding of the story which I feel is crucial to the imagination.
on 24 February 2013
I love the in and hour series. This book helped me to see an overview of the war and put in context many of the stories about the war told to me by my parents and grandparents. It is a book to whet the appetite to follow the subject up in more depth.
on 23 August 2014
my grand daughter loved this but wanted something on the world wars that would be a longer read since then i have bought another three books and she just loves them she is twelve
on 6 August 2014
A great overview of WW2. I bought this as I am a history tutor about to embark on a project about the war and wanted to refresh myself with the basics. It was easy to read and covered all of the key facts in a concise and readable way. Excellent explanations of the political situation leading to events. Nothing is covered in too much detail but that gives the opportunity for the reader to research subjects in more detail from other more detailed resources. In summary an excellent overview. I would recommend it to any student studying WW2 as a good starting point.
on 13 January 2016
Not a huge fan because it doesn't explore the subject in enough detail. I would recommend purchasing a more expensive book for a really detailed picture of WW2 (I grabbed one for about £8 which provided at least 20h of reading time! A lot of value). Reading this is akin to the French effort during the invasion of France; it happened but it wasn't that successful!

I have marked it 3 stars instead of 2 simply because it is a cheap purchase and does give an outline of what happened.
on 18 December 2012
This book is dealing with a subject far too coplicated to be dealt with in just an hour.This is the main reason why it is not so absorbing as World War two in an hour,as we are now dealing with War on a much bigger scale.Battles like Midway and Kohima are either glossed over briefly or ignored completely.
Nevertheless this is still an intresting hour or so,and well worth while for those who
are students and who want an overall picture of a dark period in our recent history.
on 28 November 2012
An interesting and easy book to read and understand, especially if you need to gain a quick grasp of the event. A good starting point.
on 6 February 2013
I did very little history at school, and so many years later, I have decided to learn about historic events....I had read world war one, which was a moving read, and this didn't disappoint either. I believe that everyone should read up on the two world wars, and gain an understanding of what our soldiers, navy and pilots went through so that we have the freedom we have now. This book tells it how it was in 60 minutes, but it took me a little longer....great read.
on 19 May 2014
Having grown up a typical boy who would yawn through history lessons and very little actually sinking into my adolescent brain (something about 1066 etc), my knowledge of key, important historical events was limited, to say the least. These history in an hour books are ideal in topping up your knowledge, without getting bogged down in the Author's views. A must read for anyone whose historical knowledge is lacking. If only I'd stayed alert at school...