on 12 January 2013
Easy to read and balanced account of the American Civil War. Does not take long to read. I can recommend it to anyone who would like quick overview of the events leading up to the war and its outcome.
on 7 February 2013
For a short book, this is oddly repetitive in places. And it's structured in a strange way. I'd have thought a straightforward chronological account would be best for a concise book.
on 19 December 2012
Nice and short version. Little more than an hour to complete.
Clear explanations and focus only on facts.
Very good
on 15 December 2012
Love the history in an hour books, informative and quick to read. If you like to read history this is a simple and effective way to get started and highlights which parts interest you most
on 23 August 2013
I'm a little disappointed with this series- it's more like "History in 20 minutes" . Emphasis is on dates and facts- the reasons behind the actions are not explained nor are many assertions backed with evidence . Only about 60% of the book is actual narrative and the remainder consists of appendices. These books are ok as a quick introduction I guess. I paid a discounted price and still thought it poor value- I'd have been livid if I had paid the RRP. Guess it's the wrong concept for me.
on 13 December 2012
I learnt quite a bit that i had no knowledge of so it shows that at 84 one can still learn
TWD
on 25 March 2013
I admit that I knew very little about the American Civil War. Now, though, I do know a bit more but I am still very confused about the nitty gritty of which states were actually involved in the causes and aftermath of the war.

This book is very easy to read and is divided into neat chapters which are all very relevant. There was only one small section devoted to the actual fighting and the battle strategy but that seemed fine to me. I am sure there are more detailed tomes elsewhere for anyone wanting more detail.

All in all, a book ideally suited to anyone wanting a summary of one of the most significant civil wars in world history.
on 25 April 2013
This book is essential for anyone wanting to learn about the reasons behind the American Civil war and how it was fought. The Author does great job of describing characters and their roles in the briefest sense. It is a great basis for anyone wanting to further their study in the area. I recommend the 1989 move 'Glory" after reading this book as it hits on all the main points mentioned in the book and really brings it to life for you.
on 21 February 2013
American children may be well versed in this period of American history, but I am English (our Civil War was 1642-1651) and we don't cover much of the ACW beyond the dates and main players.

This is a good starter to allow you to get the main events - causes of the war, politicians and generals, battles, long term results of the war - in your head and give you a taste for more.

A good starter.
on 12 November 2013
This is ideal if you want a broad brush picture of
the topic. Not a difficult read and easy to digest.