5.0 out of 5 stars Buy right or buy twice
This camera is the one I should have bought initially. I went into depth in researching this type of camera before purchasing (mainly: Panasonic Lumix FT3, Olympus TG series, Pentax Optio WG-1 and Fujifilm XP30, to name but a few) and reasoned that cost and need did not warrant the spend. I was sorely mistaken. I bought the Coolpix S3100 before this and it lasted only 4...
Published on 6 Jan 2012 by The Customer is not always right

2.0 out of 5 stars GPS Seems A Bit Hit Or Miss - Moisture In Camera
Just to start, I see a new model is now on offer called the AW100S.

It would seem it is the same but minus the "World Map" function which I guess reduces the price.

Before I ever took my one in the water I noted condensation on the inside of the lens and between photos I had to keep my warm finger on the lens to de-fog it.

I think after...
Published on 16 April 2012 by IM35461

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars A story of poor service and mis-selling, 19 Dec 2013
I bought a Nikon AW100 back in March 2013, specifically for a once in a lifetime trip round Europe on a bicycle. After thoroughly investigating all the options open to me, I chose the AW100 on the strength of its advertised features, such as being waterproof, shockproof, freezeproof and, the deal breaker, GPS geotagging.

Great, I thought, as I set off on my 2500 mile adventure.

Fast forward to month number 2, where I chose to take my waterproof camera into the Adriatic Sea in Croatia. Given that the camera is supposed to be waterproof to depths of 10 meters, I was confident to paddle round in the sea and film some fishes under the surface. Unfortunately, by the time I noticed the stream of bubbles coming from round the lens it was too late, the camera was toast. Back on dry land, I opened the door and sure enough, plenty water came out and I was left with a broken camera in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

I emailed Nikon, hoping that they would provide either a retailer nearby that could swap the camera or courier out a replacement but no dice. They would only repair the camera, which involved sending away the camera for up to 4 weeks which wasn't an option. I spent another £160 on a replacement camera that wasn't waterproof and didn't have GPS.

When I returned to the UK months later, I sent the camera back to Nikon and they replaced the camera with a new unit as the old one was a write off.

By this time it was winter and nice and chilly. Getting back out on my bike, I started using the new camera to film bike rides and mountain biking however when using the camera, the lens kept fogging up! I explained this to Nikon and sent the camera back once more.

A short time later Nikon responded, explaining that the fogging was normal when using the camera for extended periods of time in cold conditions (ie, anything below 5c). They said that the LCD screen getting hot was the cause and that if you turned the camera off, the fogging would clear. Unfortunately, if you turn the camera back on again and start to use it, the fogging starts again when the LCD screen gets warm, rendering the camera useless.

Despite being advertised as being 'freezeproof', Nikon have said that the AW100 camera can not be used in cold conditions for any length of time and if it is, it will fog up and become useless unless you want to film a foggy lens. So in summary, don't bother- unless you want something that isn't waterproof that you can't use outside in winter.

1.0 out of 5 stars This camera let in water the first time it used underwater,ruining the battery and card., 10 Nov 2013
Camera leaked salt water first time it used on holiday, don't buy this camera for underwater use or first test it under water without the battery and card .

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good value for money, 14 Aug 2013
Have only used camera a couple of times so far, once being snorkelling with basking sharks off Tiree in Scotland, but for money seems very good. Very easy to use, as robust as is advertised and quality of photos / video really good.

Example of video taken with Nikon AW100

1.0 out of 5 stars Sadly had to return as it let in water, 23 Nov 2012
This review is from: Nikon Coolpix AW100 Digital Camera - Black (16MP, 5x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)
Managed to get some stunning video and photo footage underwater but sadly after 10 minutes it stopped.

Followed the manaul to the letter for underwater use and after drying out, opened hatch and water trickled out. Contacts and battery corroded and I no longer had a camera for my holiday in Egypt.

I own 5 Nikon SLR's and never had any issues hence why I went Nikon, was so disappointed when this failed on me.

Amazon have handled the return excellently though and has not put me off using Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT CAMERA, 27 Nov 2011
J. L. Walters (Powys Wales) - See all my reviews
actually wasnt the first choice - but as the first choice was faulty and had to go back (amazon do make returns easy)there wasn't any more in stock and this one had just been released....not available in shops at the time.
We are now glad the first was faulty as this is a much better camera, excellent price....spare batteries, although battery life excellent, are also available on here for a couple of quid each!!!

all in all an excellent rugged camera for pictures and video!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible noise, horrible handling., 2 May 2013
Take an indoor photo in good daylight and you will he horrified at the poor quality of the photos. The noise is horrendous, and colour saturation and sharpness poor.

When you playback the photos in camera, there is no way to see the shooting info like ISO/shutter/aperture. So you cant see why a photo is bad.

You cant force flash. It is either Auto, or off.

Anything other than bright light outdoors (ie. anything over ISO 400) is unusable for web or small print. However, on the beach or outdoors, you want to take pictures of kids running around etc. This camera has no tacking focus, so pretty much all your shots with a moving target will be blurred.

Simply the worst camera I have owned for 20 years in terms of picture quality and handling.

Sadly, the other waterproof cameras available seem just as bad.

When is someone going to make a large sensor fixed focus waterproof camera?

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent camera for the traveller, 16 Jun 2012
I chose this camera because it was advertised as waterproof and shockproof. Also Nikon has an enviable reputation for excellent optics. It has lived up to all these requirements, and is in addition SANDPROOF. Sand was the bugbear which ruined my two most recent cameras from another supplier(one was repairable at high cost). The GPS, maps and compass are worthwhile add-ons. The only drawback is that there is no optical direct view-finder, which is useful in bright sunlight when the screen is hard to see.
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Waterproof Digital Camera - Black (16MP, 5x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 23 Feb 2014
Has survived being doused in cold sea water on several occasions on the front of my kayak though I have not yet dropped it. I am impressed by it's versatility. Such programmes as back light and museum really do work. I'm not convinced that the GPS and Compass are more than gimmicks however.
Whatever you do get protectors for the screen. My old olympus was largely ruined by a scratched screen which became unviewable and already the protector is getting scratched and will soon need replacing.I am still amazed how such a small camera can be so strong and so versatile

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little waterproof camera, 13 Feb 2014
Have used this camera on various outdoor activities including boat trips, snorkelling etc. Great colour, camera is strong and hardy. Photos taken outside in good light are of very good quality, underwater photos are quite good too. Camera is not suitable for taking photos indoors with flash.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not waterproof - be warned!, 15 Jan 2014
I bought one of these, despite the negative reviews, from Mediaworld in Sicily as I live in Siracusa. The camera was half price so worth a gamble. Lovely little camera, took it snorkelling on Sunday and got some fantastic underwater photos. It worked fine after carefully cleaning and drying with no sign of water ingress for the rest of Sunday. Monday morning still no fogging or condensation, the screen however remained blank with no images whatsoever. Took it back to the shop and got a full refund. Don't buy!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›