5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth buying
If you are looking for a way to work out your whole body that doesn't take hours this is for you. You don't need a room the size of Wembley to use it either. Just push back the furniture a bit and you're good to go! Look out for a good dvd to go with it. Try Kettlebell Bootcamp. There is something for everyone in that.
Published on 16 Dec. 2011 by maybknot

1.0 out of 5 stars MASSIVE & poorly manufactured.
I've uploaded a couple of pictures so you can compare the size of this to other kettles - also there's a picture of the assembly seam running along the inside of the handle.

Published on 8 Feb. 2013 by Janus Johansen

1.0 out of 5 stars MASSIVE & poorly manufactured., 8 Feb. 2013
Janus Johansen "Muad" (Drumconrath, Meath, Ireland) - See all my reviews

It's going to set me back about 9gbp to return the kettle, so I guess I'll be hanging on to it, but it's really only to be used as a door stop. The sheer bulk of this kettle makes it difficult if not impossible to use for a number of activities. (Again see the pictures)

At the price, it's cheap - but it's cheap for a reason.. Personally I shant be expanding my York kettlebell collection beyond this one example.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not go near this!!!, 9 May 2010
I work out with kettlebells. I enjoy it. The benefits are obvious and its enjoyable. As a result, I have a few kettlebells of various sizes. The York Vinyl kettlebell is the first time I have moved away from iron kettlebells, a mistake I will not make again.

Firstly, the size is an issue. Due to its large bulk, some exercises are difficult. The vinyl kettlebell is considerably larger than its iron counterpart. I am long limbed, but there are some exercises I will not even attempt with this.

Secondly, and in my opinion most importantly, the vinyl kettlebell has a seam which runs aronnd the diameter of the weight. Initially, this is not much of a problem. However, after an intensive workout with this weight, you will inevitably have some unnecessary blistering to your hands. Blisters and freeweight exercise go hand in hand, but I fail to see the point in using a piece of equipment which will certainly aggravate this problem.

Finally, there are superior kettlebells on the market for a similar price to this one.

Dont consider this item. I advise anyone considering exercising with kettlebells to stick with cast iron ones ( Amazon have a few in a similar price range to this vinyl one ).

2.0 out of 5 stars Bulkier and not as robust as cast-iron ones, 22 Nov. 2010
I ordered one of these after doing a few kettlebell classes at the gym.

In comparison to the more compact cast-iron bells, these vinyl ones are substantially bulkier. This isn't as noticeable when doing swings and squats but did make it less easy when doing overhead presses etc.

I'd also question how robust it is. The one that I was sent by Amazon was defective; the handle had split and the 'filler' was coming out. This may just have been unfortunate but given that these are likely to hit the floor occasionally, I'm slightly concerned. Btw, Amazon handled the return and refund without any problem.

I'm going to spend the extra cash and get a proper iron kettlebell which should be easier to use and more sturdy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid vinyl and look for cast iron, 15 Oct. 2011
I have a couple of the York kettlebells and they really are no substitute for cast iron bells. They are far larger than cast iron bells making it extremely difficult to perform any exercise where you are supposed to hold the ball of the bell. Similarly the handles are too large and are awkwardly shaped meaning that it is difficult to grasp the bell by the 'horns'. The distance between the bell and the handle is too short causing strain on the wrist and the handle does not rotate smoothly in the hand.

They are cheap and I can see that some my find them an attractive option before committing to kettlebell training but in my view they are a waste of money in the long run.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth buying, 16 Dec. 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars great addition, 13 Jan. 2010
as a beginner i wasn't sure of weight to use so bought 3kg and 6kg Yorkies
the 3kg i find heavy enough for now. They are great to handle, i have quite large hands and
the grip is wide enough, and comfortable, you won't need gloves!
Additonal bonus they were delivered the next day along with DVD to snow bound rural Cumbria!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Dec. 2009
S. CORBETT "Granny S" (UK) - See all my reviews
Nicely balanced, well designed handle. A good bit of kit even if it hasn't got the retro style of a traditional kettle bell

5.0 out of 5 stars York 8Kg Kettlebell, 24 Nov. 2010
I recently moved up to this weight from the 6Kg one, also from York. This is a noticable step up as I could feel the weight pulling me when peforming moves like the Figure of Eight, swinging it "round the world" and the alternating swing. Something I didn't experience with the previous weight. If you have a kettlebell you'll know these moves, if your new to them have look on Youtube as there is loads on kettlebells there and the moves are explained in better detail than could be by me.

The kettlebell is easy to hold either in one or both hands and certainly makes me work up a sweat when performing my workout. The stomach crunches are hard work and the military presses certainly make the shoulders feel tired after just a few reps.
The 2 arm swing I can just about keep up with on my DVD programme but boy do I know about it afterwards.

I totally agree with Lovetoshop's comment that "I would recommend this product but start off with a lighter weight first just to get yourself familiarised with the item." as kettlebell exercises are a lot different to dumbbell ones so the weight required does not need to be as high to get the same benefits.

All in all an effective kettlebell and one I highly recommend. (I've also reviewed the 3Kg and 6Kg if you fancy a look, and have a 10Kg that I want to start using ASAP)

Thanks for reading this review and I hope its helpful, however please read other reviews and not just the positive ones. When looking at the 1 star reviews (3 at time of writing though please bear in mind that

Megashelley wrote exactly the same review at exactly the same time for 3 different kettlebell weights, so do they mean this one or one of the others?
Nicolslandie states that the kettlebell was too heavy and so got a kettleworx one. That begs the question is a kettleworx 8Kg bell lighter than a York 8Kg bell? As it isn't surely that would be too heavy as well. So their argument for giving it a one star review is flawed as it isn't the kettlebells fault!
Finally the review by Stefan Milne would be noteworthy as he is according to him a grade2 kettlebell instructor. He slates this product quite vehemetly, and the manufacturer repeatedly, ending his tirade with "poor show Reebok"! As he got that rather fundamental bit wrong what else in the review might not be 100% correct? Indeed a "poor show Stefan!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Number one piece of exercise equipment, 6 Nov. 2009
Peter Wade (Colchester England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Number one piece of exercise equipment

I have been going ot the gym for the last few years but I have steered clear of weights of any variety,mainly because I did not feel confident to deal with them

Recently I took up body pump which gets you used to light weights and going through a routine of repetitions. I realised that I would have to build some muscle if I was to improve my fat burning. I have been a few times and after the initial leg aches through squatting with weights I am now quite confident that I know what I am doing.

The gym also gave a free demo on kettle bells. I have never seen of heard of kettle bells so I went along for a 30 minutes demo.

The main activity that its different from anything else is the swing whereby you hold the kettle bell with both hands and use the strength of your legs to increase the swing between your legs and maybe up to chest height. It is your legs not your arms which you have to get used to.

I did that a few times and found the technique different. The other parts of the exercise programme are like other weights but it is a handy manageable size and you don't have bars and weights to keep changing or thinking about.

My partner moans that I have a sit up machine a medicine ball and a couple of 3kg dumbbells in the front room even though they are mainly out of sight. As a result she told me I wasn't allowed to buy fitness equipment that would take up space or not be used.

The beauty of the kettle bells that it takes little space and is very versatile. The worst thing that can happen with it is to use it as a door stop.

After my introduction my inner thigh muscles ached for the next four days so it did something. I watched all the videos on YouTube of the kettle bell and also on Muscle TV.

I read the reviews and decided to get a 8 Kg which is not the smallest but should be challenge for a nearly sixteen stone weakling like me.

It arrived the other day and I w as very pleased with it. I am keeping it in my office to allay any criticism my partner. It takes up little space and only a few repetitions will have the heart pumping.

On Muscle TV one of the presenters went through her top ten pieces of exercise equipment and the kettle bell came out at number one

All in all a great piece of kit. Highly recommended

2.0 out of 5 stars Arrived damaged! Poor quality, 29 Nov. 2013
This review is from: York Fitness Vinyl Kettlebell (Sports)
This product arrived completely damaged, in a cardboard box that was almost falling apart. The plastic handle had cracked underneath and opened up completely leaving a large gap. This made it impossible to use the product as you couldn't hold it around the handle without the sharp plastic edges cutting into your hand.

Luckily Amazon were great and arranged a courier to pick up the defective product, and had a new one sent to me right away. It arrived within 2 days, so well done Amazon!

The second kettlebell at least arrived intact. But I echo what other reviewers say, it is a very "plasticky" and cheap feeling product compared to the sturdier iron versions. The plastic finish is more slippery, so workout gloves are required to use it safely.

It's usable, just about, for swings and other simple exercises. But I wish now I'd paid a bit more for a superior product. You do get what you pay for!

York Fitness Vinyl Kettlebell