5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant to handle
Now I need to start using it regularly! ;-) This kettlebell comes with a poster of different exercises. I think that's great as it gives me something to follow. I dont have much imagination when it comes to working out. ha!!
Published on 1 Dec. 2009 by Miss Laurence Dana

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not go near this!!!
I work out with kettlebells. I enjoy it. The benefits are obvious and its enjoyable. As a result, I have a few kettlebells of various sizes. The York Vinyl kettlebell is the first time I have moved away from iron kettlebells, a mistake I will not make again.

Published on 9 May 2010 by Blueferret

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not go near this!!!, 9 May 2010

Firstly, the size is an issue. Due to its large bulk, some exercises are difficult. The vinyl kettlebell is considerably larger than its iron counterpart. I am long limbed, but there are some exercises I will not even attempt with this.

Secondly, and in my opinion most importantly, the vinyl kettlebell has a seam which runs aronnd the diameter of the weight. Initially, this is not much of a problem. However, after an intensive workout with this weight, you will inevitably have some unnecessary blistering to your hands. Blisters and freeweight exercise go hand in hand, but I fail to see the point in using a piece of equipment which will certainly aggravate this problem.

Finally, there are superior kettlebells on the market for a similar price to this one.

Dont consider this item. I advise anyone considering exercising with kettlebells to stick with cast iron ones ( Amazon have a few in a similar price range to this vinyl one ).

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid vinyl and look for cast iron, 15 Oct. 2011
I have a couple of the York kettlebells and they really are no substitute for cast iron bells. They are far larger than cast iron bells making it extremely difficult to perform any exercise where you are supposed to hold the ball of the bell. Similarly the handles are too large and are awkwardly shaped meaning that it is difficult to grasp the bell by the 'horns'. The distance between the bell and the handle is too short causing strain on the wrist and the handle does not rotate smoothly in the hand.

They are cheap and I can see that some my find them an attractive option before committing to kettlebell training but in my view they are a waste of money in the long run.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bulkier and not as robust as cast-iron ones, 22 Nov. 2010
I ordered one of these after doing a few kettlebell classes at the gym.

In comparison to the more compact cast-iron bells, these vinyl ones are substantially bulkier. This isn't as noticeable when doing swings and squats but did make it less easy when doing overhead presses etc.

I'd also question how robust it is. The one that I was sent by Amazon was defective; the handle had split and the 'filler' was coming out. This may just have been unfortunate but given that these are likely to hit the floor occasionally, I'm slightly concerned. Btw, Amazon handled the return and refund without any problem.

I'm going to spend the extra cash and get a proper iron kettlebell which should be easier to use and more sturdy.

1.0 out of 5 stars MASSIVE & poorly manufactured., 8 Feb. 2013
Janus Johansen "Muad" (Drumconrath, Meath, Ireland) - See all my reviews
I've uploaded a couple of pictures so you can compare the size of this to other kettles - also there's a picture of the assembly seam running along the inside of the handle.

It's going to set me back about 9gbp to return the kettle, so I guess I'll be hanging on to it, but it's really only to be used as a door stop. The sheer bulk of this kettle makes it difficult if not impossible to use for a number of activities. (Again see the pictures)

At the price, it's cheap - but it's cheap for a reason.. Personally I shant be expanding my York kettlebell collection beyond this one example.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant to handle, 1 Dec. 2009

2.0 out of 5 stars York Vinyl kettlebell 16 KG hand ripper, 30 May 2011
I purchased the york 16 KG Kettlebell after using kettlebells at the gym, The first problem with this unit is the size of it which is only made worse by the very wide sharp handle. The joint of the plastic handle on the under side of the one I purchased was so sharp and poorly finished it ripped my hands to bits and it's not like my hands are not use to them, Also the overall size of the vinyl unit (its the size of a football) makes it impossible to do some of the standard kettlebell moves like the clean and shoulder press.Stick to the cast ones the are smaller and don't rip your hands to bits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Number one piece of exercise equipment, 6 Nov. 2009
Peter Wade (Colchester England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Number one piece of exercise equipment

I have been going ot the gym for the last few years but I have steered clear of weights of any variety,mainly because I did not feel confident to deal with them

Recently I took up body pump which gets you used to light weights and going through a routine of repetitions. I realised that I would have to build some muscle if I was to improve my fat burning. I have been a few times and after the initial leg aches through squatting with weights I am now quite confident that I know what I am doing.

The gym also gave a free demo on kettle bells. I have never seen of heard of kettle bells so I went along for a 30 minutes demo.

The main activity that its different from anything else is the swing whereby you hold the kettle bell with both hands and use the strength of your legs to increase the swing between your legs and maybe up to chest height. It is your legs not your arms which you have to get used to.

I did that a few times and found the technique different. The other parts of the exercise programme are like other weights but it is a handy manageable size and you don't have bars and weights to keep changing or thinking about.

My partner moans that I have a sit up machine a medicine ball and a couple of 3kg dumbbells in the front room even though they are mainly out of sight. As a result she told me I wasn't allowed to buy fitness equipment that would take up space or not be used.

The beauty of the kettle bells that it takes little space and is very versatile. The worst thing that can happen with it is to use it as a door stop.

After my introduction my inner thigh muscles ached for the next four days so it did something. I watched all the videos on YouTube of the kettle bell and also on Muscle TV.

I read the reviews and decided to get a 8 Kg which is not the smallest but should be challenge for a nearly sixteen stone weakling like me.

It arrived the other day and I w as very pleased with it. I am keeping it in my office to allay any criticism my partner. It takes up little space and only a few repetitions will have the heart pumping.

On Muscle TV one of the presenters went through her top ten pieces of exercise equipment and the kettle bell came out at number one

All in all a great piece of kit. Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars great addition, 13 Jan. 2010
as a beginner i wasn't sure of weight to use so bought 3kg and 6kg Yorkies
the 3kg i find heavy enough for now. They are great to handle, i have quite large hands and
the grip is wide enough, and comfortable, you won't need gloves!
Additonal bonus they were delivered the next day along with DVD to snow bound rural Cumbria!

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 23 Feb. 2012
Alexander (Consett, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I got interested in kettlebells and although I've done weight-lifting for many years I went light to be safe, best to learn correct form with a light weight. After playing with it for a few days I initially regretted getting such a lightweight and then fell upon Kettleworx. It is the perfect weight to begin with for kettleworx and probably other such routines.
As its small its not too bulky for the routines. I've got small hand and my hands just say fit on the handle together. I have since bought another kettlebell and found that the hand grip on this is quite wide in comparison to the other one I bought.
It was cheap, I knew the weight wouldn't prove a challenge for me for long so I didn't want to spend too much on a starting kettlebell. This does the job for a starter.

An update:
On the bottom of the kettlebell there is a sticker that states that this item should not be dropped. Couple of days ago that's exactly what I did. I dropped it onto a carpeted wooden floor...fairly soft surface but it was dropped. Result, that small soft drop must have caused a crack in the seam as I felt stuff dropping out of it when exercising. So I've had to order another kettlebell....this time cast iron, I won't go for vinyl again. I've dropped vinyl weights before [ha more than once] and they've not cracked like this.
I've since dropped the star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth buying, 16 Dec. 2011
If you are looking for a way to work out your whole body that doesn't take hours this is for you. You don't need a room the size of Wembley to use it either. Just push back the furniture a bit and you're good to go! Look out for a good dvd to go with it. Try Kettlebell Bootcamp. There is something for everyone in that.

York Fitness Vinyl Kettlebell