4.0 out of 5 stars I am still not sure
I was given this book free to read and review.
Published on 5 Nov. 2011 by Bob

1.0 out of 5 stars took too long to get to the point
I have to disagree with some of the positive reviews on this one. Although the book is mostly well written, it took so long to get to the point that I didn't make it on the first read.
On the second try, once the plot started to move, it was so very different from the lengthy intro, I lost interest.
There are so many good works of fiction, I'm afraid I was...
Published on 4 Aug. 2012 by Your Auntie Betty

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars I am still not sure, 5 Nov. 2011
Bob (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Seven Point Eight: The First Chronicle (Kindle Edition)
I was given this book free to read and review.
This is quite a large book of 466 pages and that is only the start as it is part of a five part serial, note I said serial not series as it does not really stand on its own but ends up with more unanswered than answered questions. I felt the style of the book was almost a nonfiction series of converging autobiographies, this feeling was added to by the addition of a bibliography and throughout the story it mixes recent historical facts and key dates with the fictional elements. Because of this I found that although I liked the story I had difficulty relating to any of the characters. As a science fiction/fantasy it covers a range of subjects as diverse as Quantum mechanics and arranged marriages, there are adult themes as declared by the author but these are in keeping with the story.
Without giving away the plot, it starts with the premise that paranormal activities are real and the story involves the measuring, using and trying to enhance these powers. In the course of this various levels of reality or alternative worlds are discovered and it is clear that the discovery of these will impinge on our current existence, however the book stops here and is to be continued in part 2.
I am still not sure about this book it was one I almost gave up on but after a while the story grew on me and although I liked the story I am not sure I will buy the next one as I just could not feel an involvement with the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good read indeed!, 24 Sept. 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed this book it is very intruiging and not a book that one can easily put down or give up on reading - the characters are very real and the end of the book is especially good leaving one wishing urgently for the second chronicle!

It is not over the top scientific as I am not that way so it would be a very palatable read for many similar to myself and yet at the same would be suitable for those who enjoy books of that ilk.

All in all a very good read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Science Fiction Read, 27 April 2013
This review is from: Seven Point Eight: The First Chronicle (Kindle Edition)
Did the book description relate to the story? Yes it did. The author offered a good insight into what was expected and I looked forward to finding out more.

How did you feel about the opening / ending sequences of the book? I liked the ending sequence more than the end. As things become more resolved Tahra's character becomes stronger and you start to connect with her.

Who was your favourite character and why? I think of all the characters, Tahra was the strongest. She thinks with her head and her heart and as she explores the different planets, she becomes more and more fascinating.

What were the main relationships explored in this book? I would say the main relationship is the one we have with our mind. The one thing this book will is that it will open your mind when you least expect it to. I loved the author's firm voice.

Was this book worth reading? Yes, this book is definitely worth reading. I would definitely recommend it to any science fiction fan.

Disclosure - I received a complimentary copy from the author which did not affect my honest opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Broaden your mind, 27 Mar. 2013
M Medler "Ella" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seven Point Eight: The First Chronicle (Kindle Edition)
Seven Point Eight surprised me, confused me, and then opened my mind. I am so glad it found its way onto my kindle. A word of warning: this is not a quick read and if you're after Hollywood style action, gore and car chases, you'll have to look somewhere else. If you need a fast-paced book to take your mind off your train journey or simply don't want to think, this book is not for you.

I'm finding it hard to categorise this novel, mostly because it wouldn't easily fit anywhere. It has a strong sci-fi undercurrent, but the characters live and interact in a normal way, in what we would perceive as the real world. Having said that, there are paranormal, fantastical threads combined with a highly imaginative take on scientific experimentation. Honestly, at the beginning I thought the author must have come from a scientific background, because of the terms used, the concepts explained and the ease of twisting all these yarns into the story.

The beginning is slow, but persevere and you will find a huge amount of satisfaction. The main plot centres around the age-old wish for acquiring some proof about the existence of the human soul, but that soon transgresses into the realm of non-physical exploration. Yes, they are big words, but even bigger ideas.

Have you ever read a story and thought `that's exactly what's going through my mind, only I've never managed to put it into words before'? No, me neither. Until now. Seven Point Eight is the sort of book that will poke you into thinking, and not just `what's for dinner', but the sort of deep thought modern humans have forgotten how to do. Let me give you an example. On the subject of time, a human being is told `You require it to function in your world, because you require a limited view of reality to survive.' Think about it. As human beings, we are limited -- not because we cannot think wider, but because we won't. We've created our own limitations. The concept of time, the concept of space... we're even trying to define infinity.

I have taken so much out of this book, I won't ever forget it. Marie Harbon has an intelligent voice and Seven Point Eight is a cleverly written book. Ok, so it could have done with a little editing, and the secondary plot never did meet the main, but this is just book one of a series. I certainly want to see where the story goes. I need this sort of enlightening read, because it reminds me to slow down and gives me the chance to grow.

An intellectual read, but one that is accessible to anyone willing to open their minds, Seven Point Eight is well-deserving of a five star rating. Now on to the sequel...

5.0 out of 5 stars The Beginning of An Epic Odyssey Not To Be Missed, 8 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Seven Point Eight: The First Chronicle (Kindle Edition)
The first novel of the Seven Point Eight series is a stunning beginning to an epic tale that spans generations. Readers will become lost in the story of Paul Eldridge, a knowledgeable but lonely professor who meets his counterparts in the characters of Max Richardson and the mysterious Tahra. The book is a chillingly beautiful tribute to the genre of sci-fi, and left me stunned. I feel as if I am now on a quest for the higher knowledge of what lies beyond life as we know it.

As a person with an interest in the psychic arts, the opening scene in the mental institution captured my interest immediately. One wonders whether illnesses of the mind are the handicaps they appear to be, or if some are indeed a manifestation of a more acute sense of attenuation to an alternate world.

The story is richly textured in its prose, and detailed in its explanations. The voice of the author comes across clearly in this well-written novel. Those who are interested or simply curious about astral projection, psychic abilities, and the advancement of science MUST READ this novel. I am looking forward to reading the next novel in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic and Mind Blowing Read!, 8 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Seven Point Eight: The First Chronicle (Kindle Edition)
I have been meaning to read this book since it was first released back in May. In fact, it's been sitting on my Kindle since then! I have since mentally kicked myself for not reading it sooner, because I loved it!

Dr Paul Eldridge is a fascinating character. He is a scientist, physicist and quantum theorist. He has a keen and sharp mind. I liked this character very much. He is very charming and unassuming, and is very kind. However, he is also dedicated to his research. What he finds out in his quest to measure the soul will totally reshape his understanding of the universe, and have far reaching consequences in the future.

This is a fabulous science fiction story! I struggled to put it down! I'm interested in science, and in all the big questions that everyone has asked for millennia. Are we alone, or is there life on other planets? Are there other dimensions? What are the other planets in the universe like? Do we have a soul? If we do, what happens to it when we die?
This book attempts to answer some, if not all these questions and more. Although it is a work of science fiction, there is a lot of science fact written into this most interesting story. The subjects mentioned in the book seem to have been thoroughly researched by the author, and can be a bit technical for the layman, but gives the story an authentic and original feel. There are a lot of different characters in this story, and also different timelines; there are also different points of view from some of these characters, who come alive in the telling of this tale. Having these time differences, you would think it would be confusing. However, I found myself caught up in the drama as it unfolded. As I was following Ava and Sam, I was wondering what Paul and the others were up to, and visa versa. The story ends on a cliffhanger that has me wanting to find out what's going to happen next!

Marie Harbon has written an intriguing "what if" piece of science fiction that made me think long and hard about why we (and all other life on Earth) are here, and what our purpose on this world could be. There is no easy answer. And, until we (as curious explorers of science and space) can find proof of life after death, different dimensions or life on other planets, we will continue to pose these questions for millennia to come.
I highly recommend this book if you love science fiction. - Lynn Worton

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVED THIS!!!!, 4 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Seven Point Eight: The First Chronicle (Kindle Edition)
The main reason I picked this book to read next, is due to the cover alone. It lends itself very well to the book, although I don't think I quite realised until I finished reading it. It definitely shows that it deals with life, love, spirituality, sexuality and religion, but don't let that put you off!

I'll admit that this book was a little tricky to read to start with. There is a lot of science and theorising that is mentioned, and at quite an in-depth level. It might, at some stages, appear to be a little long winded. However, I found that this was vital, not only in order for the storyline to make sense, but for this to help build up the suspense to an amazing crescendo. It also lays the foundation for the future chronicles, tantalising the reader with expectations of what is to come.

This book has been well crafted, so that it is like a virtual reality. The descriptions of surroundings, relationships and feelings are so graphic that the lines between reading and living felt, at times, quite blurred. I was so caught up in this book that part of me felt like I was actually experiencing this for myself.

It was only as I finished reading this book, nearly 9 months ago, that I realised that I had gotten myself into a five-book chronicle and the second part wasn't even due to be released until the Summer 2013 ?!?!?!? I wondered, how will I ever manage to cope with the protracted wait, to see how it all progresses? I have been so looking forward to reading more not only by this author but in this series and I was ecstatic to hear that the 2nd part came out today on kindle, which I have already bought!!!

Come on Marie........write quickly........I'm already waiting for the next instalment with bated breath.

Plese note that I would only recommend this for adults, as there are some sexually explicit, although not gratuitous, scenes depicted in this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Out of Body to Out of Universe, 31 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Seven Point Eight: The First Chronicle (Kindle Edition)
Seven Point Eight is a twist of scifi confusion that asks some interesting questions. If one had special abilities to travel out of body, what would one do with them? What would the government do with it if they could? How far could one go?

Overall, I enjoyed this book. The idea of remote viewing has always been interesting to me. I like the experiments and the things Paul went through to get to where he was by the time he met Tahra. When it came to Paul and Max and Tahra and the Institute, I connected with their characters, their personalities, major and minor problems, the decisions they had to make. While there were things I would not consider "YA material" in their storylines, I don't think there's much in there that most teenagers these days haven't been exposed to in some form or another.

I was a little thrown off by other characters, like Sam and Ava and their family, because they didn't really fit in with the main storyline. I kept waiting for them to fall into the big picture, and I didn't get that. I'm assuming they will cross in another book, or it will be revealed that Ava's related to one of the main characters, or something like that. There was a bit of hopping back and forth because of this, and once I realized there wasn't going to be a clear connection between storylines, I was kind of disappointed. I wound up forgetting about that line for a while, and suddenly the book was over and I had to go back again, to figure out where Sam and Ava had been left.

As a parent, I wouldn't hand this book to my daughter before I've had some talks with her about hallucinogens, sex and relationship dynamics and that sort of thing. Aside from wanting to clarify my parental stance on these subjects, the book is good buy. It's longer than I originally expected, has a good solid basic storyline and most of the characters are easy to keep track of (there are quite a few). For adults, I'd recommend this to people who are willing to stick to a series, because those with short attention spans may find themselves lost.

Katherine X, Kindle Book Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read., 10 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Seven Point Eight: The First Chronicle (Kindle Edition)
When I first started reading this, I was slightly taken aback by the history and science involved. But the more I read, the more involved with the characters I became. Before I knew it, the journey was over and I was left wanting more.

One of my top reads of the year. This author will go far.

Dawn

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind-opening, interesting and imaginative read! Not to be missed!, 1 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Seven Point Eight: The First Chronicle (Kindle Edition)
This was a well-researched and very interesting read. While sci-fi is not my usual genre, I was completely caught up in this story as soon as it got underway. It begins with a bit of a science lesson, but in the process it sets the tone for Paul and his overwhelming desire to use his knowledge to advance science. By the end of the story, we see how powerful that drive really is. When Paul Eldridge is approached by the mysterious and wealthy Max Richardson, their lives become a web of research, friendship, mistrust, betrayal and admiration that add just the right amount of drama to the story. It culminates with the arrival of Tahra, the powerful psychic who is pursued by Max while she is pursuing Paul, and you are so caught up in the love triangle you can only hope she ends up choosing the man who loves her for who she is rather than what she can do for him.

Others have already commented on the length of the novel. I did not find it too long at all, for there was a lot of information to absorb. While the action took some time to arrive, the steady pace was again fitting for the tone of the story to be set. There is some summary in the story, where the main characters keep a journal. While not always necessary, it did help to allow for the decades to pass quickly. There is a lot of mystery in this story - for instance, who is Ava, her family and the other children the investigator is collecting information on? How are they connected to Max, Tahra and Paul? Considering their lives are set in the 1980s while the former three act out their research in the 60s, you know they are connected, but how? All of this information you suspect will come to light in the subsequent installments, and you are left with your curiosity peaked in just the right way. For a realistic sci-fi novel with just enough drama to keep you turning pages, look no further. This was a mind-opening, very interesting and imaginative read!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›