5.0 out of 5 stars Good Printer! Good Photos and excellent text print!
Published on 27 Sep 2011 by awswimmer

I purchased the ip4950 a few weeks ago now, and to be honest, I can't say a massive amount positive about it. Ok, the print quality is still better that you would get with most other printers (Epson for example) and I expect the reliability will be also. But that's where the benefits end.

My previous printer, an iP4500, the predecessor to this printer from 4-5...
Published on 21 Feb 2012 by David

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Printer! Good Photos and excellent text print!, 27 Sep 2011
This review is from: Canon PIXMA iP4950 Colour Printer 9600 x 2400 dpi (12.5 ipm Mono and 9.3 ipm Colour) (Accessory)
I purchased this printer to replace a Canon iP5300, 4 years old and dead as a doornail, after some pretty heavy use. I use it to print photos for display and competition, the Canon Pixma printers get excellent reviews for this (from Which?) and I concur, but this one is a step above for depth of colour and clarity of print, even compared to the 5300, the print is excellent. Printed a 10x8 inch from the Cycling tour of Britain - Rabobank team do orange and purple to give the printer a good workout, colours and definition fantastic, as is the overall "life" in the picture.

The one weakness of the 5300, for me, was that text printing tended to be a bit light compared to other printers I have used, no such problems with this one, the text is clear and a definite black, up to the office Laser printer for my money. I will always prefer a good photo printer and a good photo scanner to a reasonable all in one (but then I scan transparency and full photos, so perhaps it is me!). If you want lab-like film-like quality in your photo prints and a good solid text print this is the way to go!

3.0 out of 5 stars 4 years since my last Canon printer... and the product has moved backwards., 21 Feb 2012

My previous printer, an iP4500, the predecessor to this printer from 4-5 years ago, finally gave up on me due to a broken printhead or some other issue. It is a shame, because compared to the iP4500, the 4950:
-Drinks ink like its going out of style
-Makes more noise from the rollers
-Takes seemingly forever to start a print job
-Does not appear to offer an increase in print quality

So, what have Canon R&D been up to the past half-decade? Any ideas?

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon IP4950 printer review., 28 Dec 2011
This printer was easy to set up and gives excellent results. The 5 colour cartridges are easy to replace and photo prints are sharp. The IP4950 replaces my previous IP4500 which gave long and trouble free service.
Swift delivery by Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Misses the mark, 7 Jan 2012
For the last four or five years I have been using a (now discontinued) Canon Pixma iP4300 for full colour glossy A4 prints and printing directly onto discs. I arrived at the iP4300 after going through three awful Epsom printers within six months. It's been the best piece of kit I've ever owned. Reliable, cheap to run, superb results and proof that Canon are capable of manufacturing a little gem. Lately, after heavy use over the years it has sadly started to wear out and develop problems so I had to change it. I researched various other Canon models and settled on the iP4950 which I've been using for a week. What a disappointment.

I've deducted three stars from my rating for three very good reasons. Firstly, the ink tanks are half the capacity of the ones in the iP4300 (my benchmark printer to be clear), so, twice as much replacing and considerably more expense. Printer ink is the second most expensive liquid on the planet (after rattlesnake venom!) so to be forced into paying even more for it is a bitter pill to swallow. One star dropped.

Star two goes on account of the pinch rollers being too tight on this model, resulting in very noticible horizontal gouges on all prints to 135gsm (or above) glossy paper. Yes, it's that bad.

Third star goes due to the poor user-friendliness. On the iP4300 to print to disc you simply drop the front panel and the flap for the disc holder and off you go. On the iP4950 you have to close the flap, hit print, wait 15 seconds for the thing to sort itself out, drop the flap and then continue printing. Every single time. Time-consuming and frustrating. The self-maintenance routines kick in virtually every time you print anything and print times are noticibly slower that the iP4300, with similar results (other than the gougeing).

It will do for now but if you're looking for anything resembling 'professional results', ease of use and value for money prints this is not the printer for you. It's a shame because I was so thrilled with the last one and really wanted to love the iP4950 as much but it's just not up to scratch.

Addendum: Well, 8 months on I'm revisiting this review to drop another star. As I said earlier in the year the business with opening and closing this flap is painful enough but if you happen to hit 'print' for a disc while the flap is closed then make yourself comfortable. This triggers a maintainance routine that takes a full 15 MINUTES to complete. When it does finally complete you'll put the disc in and it will come out with lovely horizontal ink smears all over it. I take back anything good I said about this printer. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

5.0 out of 5 stars ano 2, 20 Nov 2011
excellent printer that does everything the advert says it does. Switches off to save energy which takes time to get used to. Nice colour black!

1.0 out of 5 stars serious printer problem, 24 May 2012
Performance is great, but once the ink absorber is full, I was into disaster
and the replacement/repair requires transporting it to Canon at Woking where a charge of £80 is imposed to repair - much cheaper to throw it away and buy a new printer.

What a rip off!

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon ip4950, 12 Nov 2011
I make around four dozen 12 page calendars a year with coloured photographs this printers quality is excellent although a little heavy on ink it is very easy to use and I had no problem setting it up .Top marks from me I love Canon printers and am also using a ip4300 I have also purchased the Canon ix6550 A3 beautiful prints.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pity about the compatible cartridges, 14 Jan 2012
Delighted with the iP4950, arrived next day & easy to set up. Very disappointed to find it came with compatible ink cartridges, not genuine Canon inks. This was not stated in the sales info and I believe it should have been. I know it was supplied by UK Compatible Ink but I expected Canon to supply their inks with a new machine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ink Economy is Horrendous, 2 Oct 2012
Kez Stone "kezstone" (uk) - See all my reviews
The Title says it all so I'll keep the review short & sweet.

I love (well used to) Canon printers. I arrived at this model as my trusty IP4500 finally gave up. I use my printer regularly, print lot's of photo's & A4 size posters ect. The IP4500 would print on average 70 full sheets of A4 photo quality colour before I got a message saying 'inks are running low get ready to replace' and even then they'd go on for a good while before I eventually had to change them. The IP4950 printed just 20 A4 colour pages before given me the same warning! Absolutely horrendous.

The ink cartridges are much much smaller than anything Canon has produced before, even on the most economical settings it still eats ink like there's no tomorrow, giving you no choice but to purchase compatible inks.

Canon really needs to get it's act together. I find it hard to believe that this machine even went into production given Canons excellent track record. Why release a printer that produces the same quality as earlier models but with less than half capacity cartridges!

My advice avoid at all cost. I'll be returning mine for something much more sensible.

This must be the worst move Canon ever made!

edit:
Another really bad thing I've noticed is that when printing on photo paper, the first couple of prints will have black ink smudges on the first edges white border. It doesn't matter if you've not used the printer for a day or two or if you used it just an hour ago...everytime, the first couple of prints will have this black ink spill on the border. An absolute joke. AVOID

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon Pixma ip4950, 5 Oct 2012
After my Canon Pixma ip 4300 died,I thought I'd replace it with a similar
model.So I bought the Canon Pixma ip4950.
This does the job o.k.but it does take so long to get started.
I can't tell how many times it cleans itself before it consider's
its ready to start work.
Also the ink cartridges are so much smaller than the 4950.
The ink capacity is a problem.If I were a more regular user,
e.g.in an office,I can't see this model being a viable proposition.
One other big minus is,the printer was sold without Canon original Ink Cartridges.
Does this invalidate any Canon warranty?
The printer is fine,but the running costs will soon mount up.
Cromwell.