Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.17

on 20 October 2011
The setting is in the distant future, advancements in technology mean that we now travel among the stars, a humanity-wide network that allows everyone to interact and experience things from other peoples perspective and we have overcome that niggling issue of death being permanent.

I found this book weighty but an immensely enjoyable read. It's an sci-fi adventure book with a number of thriller style twists & turns that draw you further into the world and result in you struggling to put it down.

Finally I'd like to say the story contains elements that are thought provoking and I found myself mulling over experiences from the novel and how they would be perceived in today's culture.

I look forward to more from the author and hopefully more story set in this well thought-out universe.
on 19 June 2013
In this world, the goal of 'immortality' has been achieved through regular 're-booting', and childbirth is no longer necessary. On this central concept, Lowrie builds a future world where every aspect is a natural result of its history. It is both familiar and strange to us.

I don't want to spoil a future reader's enjoyment of discovery, so - for science fiction fans - I'll mention PD James (Children of Men) Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov and Robert Silverberg.

I could go on - because this novel meets so many of the most important criteria of excellence in science fiction: a world that is satisfyingly realised; sufficient information for the reader to 'get' it, fed into the narrative without any clunky explanations; characters who are fully formed, with motivations and flaws that don't beggar belief and that lead naturally to their behaviours and actions; a well-rounded story with (mostly) appropriate peripatetic excursions into different communities and ways of living in the fictional world; 'science' that is convincing (along with jargon that originates from familiar terms of today) and a vein of quiet humour that just takes the edge off a building sense of peril.

I find it astonishing that this is his debut novel, because the writing is of a quality that one would expect from a much-published author. I hope John Patrick Lowrie writes more novels - so far this is his first and only. I will certainly be watching for more.
on 23 February 2016
If you like characters bones fleshed out (these characters would be classed as Obese) then you may like this book.
Not all bad as there are some redeeming features, but alas no alien battles or swashbuckling hero's.
One thing I did not understand was the aging of people on a planet called Eden?
It seems that if you leave Eden' and travel 78 Light years to another planet, then return some time latter, all Eden citizens have aged from say 20 years when you left, but when you return these people are 90 years old, but you are only a few weeks or a couple of years older?.
I hate giving bad reviews but you do need something to keep you coming back for more, as someone else stated it starts well but that is as exciting as it gets.
on 16 September 2012
This is a well thought book in a realistically imagined universe. Well worth reading and certainly provokes a lot of thought about the concept of being able to extend life through technologically innovation to the point where we become virtually immortal. This lesds to and is echoed throughout the book with the implications this has on a societal and personal level. The new technology is thoughtfully integrated into the story, and skilfully described without need to delve into intricacies, and is believeable in its context. There are aspects of the style that remind me of Robert Heinlein's work.
I sincerely hope the writer can produced other stories in this universe.
on 4 September 2013
Not since Player of Games have I enjoyed scifi so much. A masterpiece. I think JP has created a universe where we as a human race can only hope, prey and dream we achieve in some sort of fashion.
on 22 January 2013
This book started off with real promise but i only finished it out of utter perseverance.
Reading the second half was absolute torture, it was like wading through waist high mud.
I like detail in a story but this was way to much. Thank god it was a free down load as
i would have felt completely ripped off.