Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 April 2013
This series of reissues are pure value for your hard earned money. Although the image outside might give you an idea of a box set consisting of small vinyl replicas, you will not get them. Instead you get a double jewel cd case, with four discs with pretty cool labels that might remind you of vinyl with some oldfashionedstyled labels. The included 8 page booklet tell you nothing about the content of the albums, except some noncomplete information about musicians, production and publication dates etc. Who wrote songs etc. are not even mentioned. The sound is - for this price - amazing. Pretty sharp, and no violenting mastering process to be heard.

What makes this a worthy reissue is of course the possibility to listen to the albums as they originally were published. In the case of Ray Charles, I am pretty sure most people know a lot of his songs from this glorious period, but have never heard them in their original context. That is at least the case for me, but now I am given that opportunity, to find the hits; the misses; the fillers; the overall idea of these albums of a giant in the history of music. And you will probably not so often get that much qualitytime in front of the stereo as you are brought through these. Beware! There is another 4 cd box set following this one. No need to miss that either!
Further to Bressons Puddles review I thought the names of the Classic albums would be of use.
Albums included are:
"Ray Charles" 1957,
"The Great Ray Charles"- 1957,
"Yes Indeed", "Soul Brothers"-from 1958,
"Ray Charles At Newport", "What'd I Say",
"The Genius of Ray Charles"-from 1959,
and "The Genius Hits The Road"-1960.

By the age we can see they are over 50 years old and of 'public domain'

Released on 4 CDs each has 2 classic albums on each.

The sound is remastered which is always a good sign but I suggest you read other, better, reviews than this to find out more. Amazon US is always a good place to start- bigger country and therefore more experts on this music.
The full track listing with the important split is as follows.
CD 1:
RAY CHARLES (1957):
1. Ain't That Love
2. Drown In My Own Tears
3. Come Back Baby
4. Sinner's Prayer
5. Funny (But I Still Love You)
6. Losing Hand
3. I Want To Know
4. Yes Indeed
5. Get On The Right Track Baby
6. Talkin' About You
7. Swanee River Rock (Talkin' 'Bout That River)
8. Lonely Avenue
15. Night Time Is The Right Time
16. In A Little Spanish Town
17. I Got A Women
18. Blues Waltz
19. Hot Rod (The Spirit Feel)
20. Talkin' 'Bout You
16. Deed I Do 2.27
17. Just For A Thrill
18. You Won'T Let Me Go
19. Tell Me You'll Wait For You
20. Don'T Let The Sun Catch You Cryin'
21. Am I Blue
16. Carry Me Back To Old Virginia
17. Blue Hawaii
18. Chattanooga Choo Choo
on 17 November 2011
I certainly know these albums and recommend them highly ... but it might have been helpful if Amazon had provided us with a track listing.

So, here's the complete list:

Ain't That Love, Drown In My Own Tears, Come Back Baby, Sinner's Prayer, Funny (But I Still Love You), Losing Hand, A Fool For You, Hallelujah I Love Her So, Mess Around, This Little Girl of Mine, Mary Ann, Greenbacks, Don't You Know, I Got a Women, The Ray, My Melancholy Baby, Black Coffee, There's No You, Doodlin', Sweet Sixteen Bars, I Surrender Dear, Undecided, What Would I Do Without You, It's All Right, I Want To Know, Yes Indeed, Get On the Right Track Baby, Talkin' About You, Swanee River Rock (Talkin' 'Bout That River), Lonely Avenue, Blackjack, The Sun's Gonna Shine Again, I Had a Dream, I Want a Little Girl, Heartbreaker, Leave My Women Alone, Night Time is the Right Time, In a Little Spanish Town, I Got a Women, Blues Waltz, Hot Rod (The Spirit Feel), Talkin' 'Bout You, Sherry, A Fool For You, What'd I Say, Part 1 & 2, Jumpin' In the Morning, You Be My Baby, Tell Me How Do You Feel, What Kind of Man Are You, Rockhouse, Part 1 & 2, Roll With Me Baby, Tell All the World About You, My Bonnie, That's Enough, Let the Good Times Roll, It Had To Be You, Alexander's Ragtime Band, Two Years of Torture, When Your Love Has Gone, Deed I Do, Just For a Thrill, You Won't Let Me Go, Tell Me You'll Wait For You, Don't Let the Sun Catch You Cryin', Am I Blue, Come Rain or Come Shine, Soul Brothers, How Long Blues, Cosmic Ray, Blue Funk, Bag's Guitar Blues, Deed I Do, Alabamy Bound, Georgia On My Mind, Basin Street Blues, Mississippi Mud, Moonlight In Vermont, New York's My Home
California, Here I Come, Moon Over Miami, Deep In the Heart of Texas, Carry Me Back To Old Virginia, Blue Hawaii, Chattanooga Choo Choo.

Phew! That's a grand total of 84 tracks. Goode value or what?
on 11 November 2013
Nothing to add to previous reviews except that you really need to buy this set AND volume 2.Beautifully remastered and nice cd, s to look at replicating as they do the look of a vinyl record.Nice to hear these songs in the context of the original vinyl release.Hours and hours of quality music......Ray really was a genius.Fantastic!!!
on 13 January 2015
These classic CD,s were bought as a present, I cannot claim to have heard them or indeed to be a great fan of the singer. However as with everything in life beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or in this case, listener, the recipient was absolutely delighted!!!!
on 17 September 2013
Instantly recognised with his distinctive voice and musical style. I remember many of his recordings and it's exciting to discover so many more gems in this bargain buy.
on 4 March 2015
What a brilliant compilation, which along with Vol 2, gives you the best music from this Genius's entire career. Absolutely knocked out by the quality and the price.
on 12 August 2013
Bargain basement price for 8 classic albums. If you like Ray CHarles but don't have much of his stuff already this is a great way to start a collection
on 15 January 2016
ere you get 8 of his most wanted albums. A wonderful retrospective of his best performances.
on 6 August 2015