5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book
A truly fascinating and at times unbelievable book about a British drug smuggler who was caught and sent to a Bolivian prison.
I am not a big book reader and it usually takes me weeks to get through a book, but I read this in 2 days on holiday, which annoyed my girlfriend no end.
A must read!!!!
Published on 29 Jan 2004 by Mr. Simon N. Clifton

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story
Excellent story! Definitely an eye opener into the unknown truth! It is sometimes so crazy it doesn't seem real. Not a literature master piece but a good interesting read.
Published on 12 Mar 2012 by MR O J BIRKWOOD

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 8 Mar 2009
This review is from: Marching Powder (Paperback)
I thought this would be just another memoir of one mans struggle to cope in third world prison and bought the book thinking i had idea of what to aspect yet i was took by surprise its absolutely fascinating stuff!

I liked Thomas a lot yet i do think its written in false way and we read how Thomas McFadden would like us to see him rather then who he is. I find it hard to belive that he earned the respect he did so quickly without being some nasty sly character yet none of this comes across. However, don't let that put you of this book as it is cracking read and must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Reading, 29 Jan 2009
This review is from: Marching Powder (Paperback)
This is an excellent read! Although not suitable for someone under the age of 16/18. It is very eyeopening about a world not many people are concious of. The most shocking thing about this book is that it is a real story, yet so unbelievable at the same time.

Be warned once you pick it up and start reading it will be hard to put it down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, Gripping, Fantastic, 2 July 2009
H. Moore "Helen" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marching Powder (Paperback)
This is by far one of the most absorbing books I have ever read. Every chapter will have you either laughing, shaking your head in disbelief, tutting or cringing. You truly care about all of the characters and despite the fact that most of what you will read seems beyond the realms of possibility - you know you can believe every word.

5.0 out of 5 stars bolivian marching powder, 1 Dec 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Marching Powder (Paperback)
as someone who has had the misfortune of spending some of there life in a foreign prison this is a total cant put down book(if only the prison i was in was like that).
fantastically written it is 1 of the best books i have ever read,my main subject of reading is true crime & this is up there with the best......excellent a1

4.0 out of 5 stars Another World, 28 July 2008
M. Edney "Board Reader" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marching Powder (Paperback)
Many people have said good things about this book and they're mostly true. Marching Powder takes the reader into another world. Surreal and dystopian, this is travel as you don't want it! If you've missed it so far, read it when you can.
For another view across the world, try Escape by David McMillan. There, we have the true life story of just about the only Westerner to break out of one of the infamous hell-hole prisons.
Escape: The True Story of the Only Westerner Ever to Break Out of the Bangkok Hilton

4.0 out of 5 stars Eye-Opening, 4 Nov 2013
This review is from: Marching Powder (Pan Real Lives) (Kindle Edition)
This isnt what i would call a thrilling read, its not full of twists and turns nor is it dripping of suspense. However, it is profoundly interesting and shocking account of the Bolivian prison system. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, following Thomas' journey inside the prison and feeling dumbfounded when new facts about the prison are discovered. A really enjoyable read that is a must for anyone planning on visiting Bolivia and even for those who dont plan on actually going there, after you read this is will probably make you want to go so you can see for yourself!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 23 Oct 2013
This review is from: Marching Powder (Paperback)
This book was really gripping right from the start. It was honest and when I looked up news/the prison referred to in the book, it was obvious how accurate the protrayal was. It is a page turner, and gives a good insight into life in the prison. Not an uplifting book, however, and left me wanting to know what happened to the guy after leaving the prison.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, will recomment it., 15 Mar 2010
This review is from: Marching Powder (Paperback)
I must say I was not keen after reading the blurb; drugs are not the sort of thing I am interested in. However, this book is nothing about drugs. It was very good, written in a very conversational style and fast paced. Sometimes, I found myself thinking whether everything he has written is in fact true, but it must be. I could not believe he was allowed out to go to the movies and go clubbing. The book made me think about taking cocaine. Lol, but I won't. I was left wondering what Thomas McFadden is up to, now that he has been released.

It was very good and I am glad I read it; goes to show it does not hurt to try something new. Apparently, a movie is to be released and Brad Pitt's production company is holding the rights at the moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 23 Sep 2008
This review is from: Marching Powder (Paperback)
Great, well detailed description of the coruption within the prison system! Really enjoyed this book. Could not put it down! Opened my eyes to how how cocaine is made and exported out of the prison into the market-place! I could not believe how people could be treated in such a way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where is Thomas now?, 12 Aug 2007
This review is from: Marching Powder (Paperback)
The reviews below are all correct - this is one of the fastest paced books myself and my husband have read. Although gory in places, it is a fascinating insight into a world most of us know nothing about.

My brother-in-law is a friend of Rusty's and has met Thomas. No, Rusty is not your average author - but he has a desire to share what others cannot and would not be able to (he is currently writing another book based on another S. American cultural issue - so watch out for it). This book deserves to be read, whatever your moral take on it is. Thomas did wrong but learned to see right. However an insight into another culture is always privilege.

I read one review which asked where Thomas is now - he is residing in his native Tanzania.

Our book is doing the rounds of our local friends who are all amazed at the story, we have bought a copy for a work colleague and I'm now about to buy it for my best mate - it is worth the investment!

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›

Marching Powder (Pan Real Lives)