5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book
A truly fascinating and at times unbelievable book about a British drug smuggler who was caught and sent to a Bolivian prison.
I am not a big book reader and it usually takes me weeks to get through a book, but I read this in 2 days on holiday, which annoyed my girlfriend no end.
A must read!!!!
Published on 29 Jan 2004 by Mr. Simon N. Clifton

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story
Excellent story! Definitely an eye opener into the unknown truth! It is sometimes so crazy it doesn't seem real. Not a literature master piece but a good interesting read.
Published on 12 Mar 2012 by MR O J BIRKWOOD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 29 Jan 2004
A must read!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Intoxicating read., 15 Mar 2008
This review is from: Marching Powder (Paperback)
An insight into one of the most fascinating though thoroughly grim prisons in the world. Its hard to take in what you're reading, knowing it actually happens in a prison. I have moral issues with Thomas, though as a survivor nobody can fault his sheer stamina and drive to better himself in the face of well, some hell of an adversity within prison life. This book offers a truly insightful view of a world a million miles away, totally beyond our own comprehension.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating read!, 11 Oct 2009
Anita McAree - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marching Powder (Paperback)
I had to keep reminding myself that this book wasn't fiction! Marching Powder paints the intricate world inside San Pedro Prison, one as far removed and fascinating as deep space or middle earth.
What makes this story so powerful however is Thomas McFadden; his crime was real, the corrupt system he found himself trapped in was real and the people he met along the way were real. I found this book completely absorbing and I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Marching Powder, 21 Jun 2012
This review is from: Marching Powder (Pan Real Lives) (Kindle Edition)
This book could be fiction with all the events that occur but it's all true. It's a really interesting read. The extent of corruption is unbelievable. I highly recommend. I've been telling everyone about it since. Particularly those traveling to South America. South America is just a completely different world to the Western world and this book epitimises that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating insight into life for a brit in Bolivian prison, 5 July 2003
This review is from: Marching Powder (Paperback)
This book, written by first time author Rusty Young, gives an absolutely rivetting account of life for a british drug-smuggler in what must be one of the most corrupt prisons in the world (not only do inmates have to buy their cell as if they are buying an apartment, they even have to pay an entry fee on first arrival). The book, although actually a biography which is written in the form of an autobiography, combines humour, horror and romance and introduces the reader into the fascinating life of a drug-smuggler, user and convivt and also the truly incredulous corruption found at just about every level in Bolivia to provide a thrilling read. I couldn't put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marching Powder, 3 Dec 2003
This review is from: Marching Powder (Paperback)
I never finished reading any book in that short amount of time, I've read this book just in two days and I got completely blown up.You get read and discover yourself the extraordinary character Thomas Mcfadden and inside world of San Pedro,It's really amazing book.It's worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't believe what you are reading!, 5 Aug 2007
A. Mackie (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marching Powder (Paperback)
Since finishing this book (a fortnight ago) it has been passed on to three of my friends all of whom have found it an amazing read. Having grown up in South America I'm very aware of the corruption that takes place, but I was still completely dumb-struck by the activities of San Pedro prison. My feelings towards Tomas are slightly mixed, while I admire his survival instincts and business accument I can't forget the fact that he is guilty of his crime and hasn't apeared to have learned anything about the effects of drug trafficking/taking. Read it and see for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Money talks!, 13 Dec 2004
This review is from: Marching Powder (Paperback)
It's a kinda Bolivian version of the book 'The damage is done'. Although life inside San Pedro prison is somewhat different in many ways.. Money talks! Inmates buy and sell their own cells, manufacture coke, bribe anyone to get whatever they need and make a little extra cash from backpackers tours of the prison.
Thomas McFadden is a convicted British drug dealer who lived here for 5years.
A truly fantastic read, and Rusty Young certainly takes you into the bizarre prison with every chapter..

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 5 Aug 2003
shakes (sydney, australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marching Powder (Paperback)
Ok, im one of those people who will start a book and either never get it finished or it will take me ages to finish it.. i finished marching powder in 3 days, i could not put it down. It is such an amazing story and the book never gets boring. i would recommend this book to anyone who likes stories about how bizzare the real world can be, it does get a little disturbing in some parts and there is a hell of alot of drug use. an awesome book, i was actually a bit upset when i finished because i have to find something else to do with my spare time now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, a must read!, 28 Jan 2008
This review is from: Marching Powder (Paperback)
A fascinating and extremely well written account of Thomas McFadden's incarceration in Bolivia's San Pedro prison. The stories of the inner workings of this prison are just incredible. It usually takes me weeks, or even months, to read a book (short attention span), but I became so engrossed in this book that I finished it in 3 just days.
Fantastic book! Highly recommended!

Marching Powder (Pan Real Lives)
0.99