5.0 out of 5 stars This book makes it all seem easier to bear.....
Published on 3 April 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars very informative, although slightly old fashioned
Published on 19 Dec 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars This book makes it all seem easier to bear....., 3 April 2001
By A Customer
This book is a real comfort to me. When I first read John Gray's first book a few years ago, I felt that he was asking women to accept unacceptable behaviour from men. Some years later, having read this book, which is tailored more to single people, I now accept that men truly are wired differently from women, and we often get hurt by things that they do because we take their actions personally, when all they're doing is following their own nature. Whilst girls might be advised to "treat 'm mean and keep 'm keen", at the end of the day, the game plan is to make a relationship, not win a battle; being "mean" hurts us too. John Gray preaches the wisdom of giving things time, of letting the man take the lead, of going with the flow. It deals with the difficult moments that leave women distracted and unhappy, such as what to do when he's not so certain he wants to see you, when he doesn't call etc. Somehow he makes it all seem as though it isn't a major tragedy;dating mishaps begin to seem as if they are less evidence of failure and more the result of a practical mismatch. If you accept John Gray's advice, in my experience everyone's happier. The only thing I would say is that I think there are some cultural differences between UK and US dating habits which make some of the advice hard to apply. Although John Gray advocates dating around until a man asks you to stop, I think most British men would assume that once you've got past the intial few dates that you won't be seeing anyone else, and most British women wouldn't want to do it. (Maybe I'm just old fashioned!).

5.0 out of 5 stars If only I'd read this some 15 years ago!, 8 Jun 1999
By A Customer
Reading this book has given me such power! Now that I understand the way that men's minds work, I can avoid falling into the traps that have plagued my relationships over the last 15 years. It's all such basic and logical stuff, but to read it in black and white is a real revelation. A highly recommended read, with useful stuff for those in relationships, as well as singletons.

3.0 out of 5 stars very informative, although slightly old fashioned, 19 Dec 1998
By A Customer
Grays book outlined many things that i found usefull..He really made me understand that women really are from venus and how we need to understand them better..Although I must agree with one of the previous readers' comments that he does not go too in depth on how to attract a mate but only what to do when you are in a relationship already..Some of his ideas are a bit old fashioned and gender biased, but his views on not skipping stages and ending relationships on a good note helped me. .Overall his book did help me understand more on dating..and most likely will use his principles for future dating..

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent insight into how men and women's needs differ., 22 Dec 1998
By A Customer
Mars and Venus on a Date provides insight into both a past marriage that failed and a wonderful relationship currently developing. After 24 years of single life I've gained understanding as to why I've remained single in the past as well as why my new relationship is as fabulous as it is.
John Gray's information has reinforced some personal decisions I've made as well as made me think twice about some incorrect assumptions I had. I've learned the difference between thinking loving someone means they are right for you and how to really discern Soul Mate possibilities.
My Soul Mate has made me a very happy woman. Dr. Gray has provided me with a foundation of information and understanding that may insure I stay that way!!! Thanks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, solid, easy-reading relationship guidebook, 7 Jan 1999
By A Customer
No one has ever talked about 5 Stages of Dating around me. And I have no idea what stage am I in until I read this book. I get sense of acuity now. I can tell what stage are they in with people around me. After reading the part that John explain how different Men and Women think and react, I realliaze that I just spend 5 years of my relationship to find that out. I wish that people are in relationship or looking for one can have a look at this book. This will save them a lot of mis-unserstanding and pain of quarrels. I sincerely recommand this book to you. Sabina

4.0 out of 5 stars Solves the Modern Liberation vs Romance Paradox, 22 Feb 1999
By A Customer
Gray's book is quite helpful for all of the woman who were raised in the past twenty years. While asking guys out on the first date is liberating, eventually many of those relationship falter. The plain truth is that if you are looking for a romantic relationship, then, as a woman, you need to let the guy take the lead in the first stages of dating or else you won't be happy. Gray has helped me realize this fact in his funny, straight forward work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Success after reading this book, 27 April 2006
S. V. Anderson (England) - See all my reviews
After various unsuccesful relationships I decided to buy this book to see how men's minds work as it has always been a mystery to me. It all became clear after reading the book and the next relationship I had, I decided to handle it differently according to the rules in the book. Well I have success! He is totally besotted with me and I am with him and have not been this happy in a long time. Would recommend that women read this book. Definateley!

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical advice, 16 Jan 1999
By A Customer
I read this book in three days, a very quick read. I was able to understand a lot of the information. It gave me insights that I hadn`t had before. Because of all these things I would recommend this book to anyone who would like to gain a better understanding, but just like anything, evaluate your circumstances.

1.0 out of 5 stars not the best guide for those seeking to marry..., 10 Feb 1999
By A Customer
in fact, not a good guide at all. while gray does show some insight into the different ways men and women think (and if you want that, "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" is much better), this book really lacks a lot. the five stages of dating he gives tend to be very misleading; even he writes that it is sometimes hard to know which stage you are in. he ascribes no importance to the physical relationship - first date or marriage? well, no difference - and focuses on being positive and how to get a good partner for life. the theme of the book seems to be, 'when you meet that right person, you'll just know.' the book treats the subject of marriage too lightly, and is too 'sappy' (almost the right word) to be of any use in real life. a much better book on finding the right person to marry is "I Kissed Dating Goodbye," by Joshua Harris. it is true to life, and is a much better guide. if you are looking for someone to marry, i would seriously go and find this book. it shows that there IS a better way than dating to find your future spouse.

3.0 out of 5 stars Is this book REALLY for singles???, 28 July 1998
By A Customer
Gotta be honest here guys, this book didn't do much for me. I bought the book with the expectation that it would help me in my quest to FIND that special lady I'm missing. Instead, he primarily focused on what to do and how to act AFTER you've found someone to date. Though his words were helpful, I can't use them at this stage of the game. Maybe if he would have stressed what women are attracted to a little more instead of how women should act around men it would be different. That's great that "Men like a woman with a smile." Well, what do women like? He spent very little time on that subject. I was hoping to see more writen about initial attraction, and HOW to approach women...not WHERE to find them. "It just happens" doesn't sit well with me.
On the back of his book there is a statement that reads "You don't have to be single forever..." Well, this book doesn't really support that statement. Very good book, but I think I'll w! ait 'till I find someone before I look at it again.