4.0 out of 5 stars 'Hers is the ghost that will not let me go.'
The previous novel by this author, 'This Perfect World', was a gripping emotional read, and deservedly went on to become a Richard and Judy Book Club selection, thereby also garnering a much wider readership. With this novel, the author has again chosen a very emotional storyline. Rachel is devastated to have lost her baby daughter seven months into her pregnancy...
Published on 4 Jan 2012 by L. H. Healy

3.0 out of 5 stars Morbid Lead Character
I thought Suzanne Bugler's first novel This Perfect World was superb and was looking forward to seeing what she would come up with next. The Child Inside deals with a very emotive subject; the death of a child, and like her previous novel it is well-written and at times a very compelling read, but for me there was something lacking.

The lead character Rachel...
Published on 14 Nov 2012 by Lincs Reader

4.0 out of 5 stars Proof that actions have consequences, 1 Feb 2012
Sharon (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Child Inside (Paperback)
Not sure how but I completely missed Suzanne Bugler's previous novel, This Perfect World, which was part of the 2011 Richard and Judy book club. From all accounts it was a fantastic read so I was happy to accept a copy of this book to read and review.

The book centres around Rachel who you can tell is very unhappy with her life and who is still struggling with the after effects of her stillborn daughter years ago. She is also not willing to accept that her son, Jono, now a teenager is no longer her little boy who wants to be with her all the time. Her marriage to Andrew is now also a shell with two people living as individuals and no longer as one happy unit.

One day after dropping off her son at his friends, she encounters the mother of someone she used to hang around with which triggers deep hidden memories of when she used to be on the outside of the 'in-crowd' which Vanessa was the centre of and which ended when Vanessa died. However, when she later visits the woman at her house she is shocked to discover that this woman is denying that she ever had a daughter.

Now that these memories have been unleashed she is not able to let things lie so she decides to seek out Vanessa's brother, Simon, to find out why his mother is denying her daughter. What initially started out as curiosity, created by loneliness, soon turns into an illicit and dangerous affair with devastating effect on her family...

Although I did enjoy reading this book, I did also want to, at times, want to shake Rachel and tell her to get a grip of reality and pull herself together. I'm sure we've all felt frustration and loneliness at times in our lives but that doesn't mean we're going to take actions that could cause upset to those around us. This book certainly proves the point that all actions have consequences.

5.0 out of 5 stars a page turner, 20 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Child Inside (Kindle Edition)
This book gripped me from the first page. The central character has never recovered from the loss of a child. She looks back to a time when life seemed better. When she sees an opportunity to relive those memories she takes it. She cannot see that her family's inability to share their grief and feelings is at the root of their problems. Suzanne Bugler allows the reader to identify with the central character while at the same time being horrified by some of her actions. For me, a thoroughly good read and I will look out for her books in the future

3.0 out of 5 stars Good enough for a quick read, 16 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Child Inside (Paperback)
A fairly enjoyable read, easily got through in a couple of evenings, that tells the story of heroine, Rachel's mid-life crisis. Mourning her still-born daughter, she no longer communicates with her gentle husband and sullen, teenaged son. Having scrimped and saved to send her son to private school, she spends her time comparing herself unfavorably to the mothers of her son's better-off school friends.
An affair with the brother of a friend, who died as a teenager, offers Rachel a way out of her mundane life and allows her to indulge her obsession with the past before she became merely a wife and mother.
Bugler is a good writer who draws you into her story but ultimately Rachel was an irritating character with a huge inferiority complex regarding those she perceives as richer, and therefore leading more rewarding lives, than herself. The story matter was simply not original or interesting enough to give this book more than three stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather bleak, 7 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Child Inside (Kindle Edition)
After enjoying This Perfect World I fell on this with great expectations, only to be disappointed. The first novel was dark but also funny and satirical, several of the characters were engaging. The Child Inside was well written but the bleakness was unrelieved. I did not empathise with any of the characters, this could be because we see them through the narrator's distorted perspective, but I needed to feel for somebody. The narrator had suffered a terrible loss, but because she was frozen I found it hard to identify with her. The sub plot just didn't seem to gel and the narrator's connection with the older grieving mother seemed sketchy and tenuous at best. The author obviously has an understanding of mental illness and an insight into how isolated and insular sufferers can become, but as a novel this did not work for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Enjoyed it, 18 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Child Inside (Kindle Edition)
Lovely book didnt take very long to read and found it difficult to put it down.
A Traumatic experience leads to a home breakdown.
Will probs be read again.

3.0 out of 5 stars well written but .........., 15 April 2012
This review is from: The Child Inside (Kindle Edition)
I haven't actually finished this book, even though I bought it ages ago, as I found it was making me sad. It is well written, but I can't say I have actually enjoyed reading it so far, and I'm not sure I am going to finish it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 15 Mar 2012
L. Trevor (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Child Inside (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this book, a good storyline that kept me hooked from the start. The characters are very realistic and I could sympathise with all of them. I would definitely recommend it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow and long winded, 22 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Child Inside (Paperback)
Found this very slow and painfully long winded. Couldn't warm to the main character of Rachel who strangely seems to be keen on putting herself in social situations where she feels like an outcast. The descriptive text I thought was good but it went on and on often stalling the story and I finally lost interest and skipped so many pages I lost the plot and gave up reading it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting content but I didn't like the writing style, 28 May 2012
This review is from: The Child Inside (Paperback)
I chose this book as it was a book club choice. The fact the author was a richard and judy choice was not inviting.
The subject was interesting but the narration very poorly written. I often wondered how this would be in the hands of Lionel Shriver for example. Basically, feelings were not explored enough, too many subjects tried to be handled at once and none of the characters engaging or non engaging. Probably not a bad holiday read but if you like expressive, descriptive writing this won't be for you.
I won't be rushing to read anything else by the author.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written but depressing, 28 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Child Inside (Kindle Edition)
This is the first time I've read any of Bugler's titles, but I don't think I will be reading any more based on the fact that this book, though very well written and eloquently descriptive, is seriously depressing. The main character is just a black hole of misery. The ending provided only a tiny bit of release, but overall, it was grey and too gloomy.

The Child Inside