5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensible companion to the I Ching
Published on 30 Jun 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint of heart
While I've only been studying the I Ching seriously for about a year, it's been a fairly dedicated relationship. I delved into this, along with the Wilhelm translation, after several years with the Tao te Ching and a year with the R.L. Wing translation of the I Ching and several journals, thinking I'd step things up a bit.
Well, it could be any number of things, but...
Published on 24 May 2004 by T. Korpi

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensible companion to the I Ching, 30 Jun 2001
This review is from: Guide To The I Ching (Paperback)
This is a truly magnificent work written by a very wise lady. If you are at all interested in developing yourself using the Wilhelm\Baynes edition of the I Ching you will find this book indispensible. It is astoundingly insightful and must be regarded as a major achievement along with her other top book "The Philosophy of the I Ching". I read both of these daily. Many many thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ms. Anthony has obviously used I Ching in her life., 15 July 1998
This review is from: Guide To The I Ching (Paperback)
Ms. Anthony has obviously used the I Ching in her life and in this book shares its' usefulness, and her love for, and insight into, the meanings. Also,she uses the Wilhelm/Baynes translation with which so many of us are familiar and writes this as a "guide" to the use of that. Her paraphrases are exquisite in their ability to simplify for us, the more literate translations.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the best, 28 April 2008
E. Coward - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guide To The I Ching (Paperback)
I have studied Taoism for almost 20 years now and have an extensive library of all the classics in various translations and by many different authors. While I found that all books on the I Ching are useful, this one is the best of the best for the Western mind. Ms Anthony's years of study and meditation have meant that not only is the book clear and insightful, it is also closer to the true meaning of the I Ching than many other translations. This is the only book I recommend to those who are ready for further study of the I Ching and it is a book I use constantly, my copy is very worn. I also recommend all her other books on the I Ching as her insights and interpretations are excellent.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint of heart, 24 May 2004
T. Korpi (Bemidji, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guide To The I Ching (Paperback)
Well, it could be any number of things, but I found myself in a real depression after not very long. The Wilhelm translation is very poetic and indirect and Carol Anthony's Guide is very direct. At first this is a relief, but soon I found myself confused and depressed, criticised into a spiritual corner that became a vicious circle as I tried to seek guidance and, finally, I just let go.
Further reading on Taoism has helped me come out of this-- suggesting basic principals that are far more sympathetic with modern western lifestyles and parenting of young children-- and this has highlighted my folly: serious spiritual studies often assume that one can/does/wants to live like a monk. The Guide definitely is for those in a more monk-like situation than I am.
I feel strongly about Taoism as a, well, a way of life, but found this book just too much for my situation. If you're just looking at divination it's not for you, if you're looking at serious interpretations of the I Ching... make sure you're ready.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking for a great meditative Guide- Look no further!, 4 Nov 1998
This review is from: Guide To The I Ching (Paperback)
Both my wife and my daughter have used this book for many years to sort out the confusion life often presents us with. I was curious about it and looked for another book that wouldn't be exactly the same as theirs. This one is the best!

5.0 out of 5 stars A new classic, 6 July 2006
Paul M. Strong "Paul" (Totnes, Devon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guide To The I Ching (Paperback)
Just to say that I have been consulting the I Ching for 30 odd years - using the Wilhelm translation only - i have returned to using the book recently and found myself a little out of kilter with the imagery - this book was recommended and i have found it to be an invaluable guide to the readings, imagery and philosophy contained in the I Ching - I think this book is a modern classic. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars In short, it's brilliant!, 7 Aug 2014
This review is from: A Guide to the I Ching (Kindle Edition)
I've used this book consistently for over twenty years; it's by far the best I've found on the I Ching. I used to have to take it with me whenever I travelled - now its a lot easier as I have a Kindle version too. Every single time I have used it, there has been a line or paragraph that has spoken directly to me. I'd recommend it very highly indeed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Guide to the I Ching, 24 Jun 2010
Patricia (Wadebridge, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guide To The I Ching (Paperback)
This was recommended to me, after telling someone I was using readers to find guidance. This does away with the third person. It requires total self honesty and openness. Be prepared to look into yourself with humility and without criticism. I have been using this method for a few weeks now and find the truth reflected to be amazing. I consider this to be my guide to an open and honest relationship with myself first, others. It is also nurturing Trust in myself.

4.0 out of 5 stars comprehensive, detailed, thought-provoking, 3 Mar 2014
This review is from: Guide To The I Ching (Paperback)
This is one of my favourite commentary books on I ching.
It is a thorough interpretation focusing more on the psychological and spiritual aspects of readings and unlike some other works such as Sarah Dening, it therefore does not so much draw you into literal understandings. I think both and various levels of interpretation are important but Anthony demonstrates a more personal and general applicability of I ching readings.
It is a very thought-provoking and intelligent guide and certainly worth buying if you are a serious student of the Tao.

5.0 out of 5 stars My lifesaver, 5 April 2009
J. Rogers (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guide To The I Ching (Paperback)
I have used this book on and off now for over ten years, and it's been a lifesaver. At one point of considerable stress in my life, I was waking every night at 4am. This went on for about 6 months. I was greatly supported by this book then - its poetic and wise interpretations of the hexagrams invariably soothed me enough to sleep again. I experience it as both loving and firm, and it always, but always, gives me an answer which eases the part of me that has become discordant.

A Guide to the I Ching