Format: Audio CD|Change

on 8 December 2011
The scores to the Twilight series have been somewhat disjointed. Composer Carter Burwell composed the score for the first film, and was subsequently replaced by Alexandre Desplat for The Twilight Saga: New Moon The Score, and Howard Shore's contribution for The Twilight Saga: Eclipse - The Score (which I considered to be the weakest score in the series). Carter Burwell returns for a second attempt in Breaking Dawn Pt 1, and I think this is one of the strongest scores in the series.

The main difference between Burwell's first score, and those subsequently for New Moon and Eclipse is that the latter two have been more orchestral in nature. This is a move which Burwell has emulated in Breaking Dawn Part 1. The album features a lot of piano, strings, and guitar writing, which sounds very pleasant, but the tempo is fairly slow. There is a lot less reliance on electronic elements which were commonplace in his first score. I wont attempt to go into a track by track analysis of BDP1, because many of the tracks have a similar style to them. In terms of the more action based tracks, "A Wolf Stands Up (track 12), "Playing Wolves (Track 17) and "You Kill Her You Kill Me" (Track 24) provide the more up tempo sections. Even these sound slightly restrained, and I feel Burwell is saving his best for the next installment. That said, the tracks are of high quality, (and despite a few moments of dissonance (eg towards the end of "Wedding Nightmare (Track 4)), the album makes for an easy listen.

The duration of the album is just short of 54 minutes - and I thought this was a little short. Of the 25 tracks present on the album, none reach over 4 minutes in length. This is a shame, because the musical themes established are good, but none are presented in any extended form to provide a longer action cue. On a related note, the film runs for 117 minutes, and I would guess (I have yet to see the film) that this under represents the amount of score that is heard in the film. I would therefore recommend listening to the samples prior to the purchase in case there are cues that you liked within the film that may be missed off the album. Also, I didn't notice any development on any previous themes from either of the three albums, so consider this release to be somewhat of a clean slate from a musical point of view. I would have quite liked to have heard a extension of some of Desplat's themes from New Moon, but I can't say I was hugely shocked at the exclusion.

Overall, I think this is a strong score by Burwell. From my perspective, which favours a more orchestral sound, I thought this was a definite improvement compared to his initial Twilight score (however for those who liked his style initially, you may not like this more orchestral approach as much). This album is slower paced than previous installments, and I would guess this is the calm before the storm for Breaking Dawn Pt 2. I loved Desplat's score for Breaking Moon, and I don't think this album beats that, however, it is a superior effort compared to Burwell's first score and Howard Shore's effort for Eclipse. I wish some of the tracks on the album were longer, and this was the only criticism I could find. An extended presentation of the themes in the form of a longer suite would have been welcome, but this is not a good enough reason not to buy the CD. I have no idea whether or not this will be the case, but with Desplat's scores to the Harry Potter scores for the finale Deathly Hallows Pt 1 and 2, I found Desplat's efforts to be vastly superior in the DHP2 compared to DHP1. If Burwell can find an extra gear for BDP2, and I have a feeling he will, the result will be something pretty epic for Breaking Dawn Part 2.
on 26 December 2011
I love carter burwell's score for the the first twilight. I dont know why he was replaced by alexandre desplat and howard shore! I did not like their scores for the twilight series. I then i listened to the breaking dawn part 1 score and i was blown away! It is brilliant!!!! Carter Burwell at his very best. If you love movie scores, you must get this!
on 9 November 2011
Amazing amazing amazing - nearly took the postman's arm off when he delivered this CD to me this morning.

It has not disappointed - it is just as brilliant as all the other Twilight soundtracks.

BUY IT! It is EPIC!

Arrrrrghhhh excited for 18th Nov! Wooooop woooooop!
on 11 November 2011
i love all the twilight soundtracks and this one is just as brilliant as the others. I am a tad bit disappointed that muse aren't on the soundtrack this year as it was a twilight tradition to have muse on the soundtrack.
the songs are fantastic. i love the wedding version of iron & wine's flightless bird, american mouth. bruno mars' "it will rain" gives me shivers up the spine and christina perri's " a thousand years" is simply beautiful.

It is amazing to have carter burwell back as composer for breaking dawn. i loved his composition "love, death, birth" and it was just fantastic to hear hints of bella's lullaby in that track. it bought me back to when i was 16 and first fell in love and discovered twilight, seeing the movie and reading the books for the first time.

all in all i rate this 5 stars. i love the soundtrack and i cant wait for the movie to come out!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on 29 December 2011
As with the previous 3 scores, this one impresses in its own way. I really like the subtle references to the first one (Twilight) as they help to link the storyline together perfectly. The music covers the whole gamut of emotions, from the uplifting music of the wedding and honeymoon to the more serious undertones of Bella's difficult pregnancy and Edward's inability to cope with the thought of losing her. The final piece is perfect; it gives a flavour of what is still to come!
on 12 December 2011
I may be a bit biased when reviewing this soundtrack as im a fan of the saga and so all the songs will provide some sort of positive reaction. However, being a music lover i will say that based on the soundtracks listed they each provoke a different feeling and will have you listening to the lyrics more deeply. Carter Burwell's Love Death Birth is so moving that you find yourself holding your breath. Christina Perri brings a beautiful tale to life through music. I just simply love Iron and Wine and Angus and Julia Stone. They can never do any wrong in my eyes. Sleeping At Last's song Turning Page is so beautiful that you will find yourself listrning to it over and over.
This album is not only for the Twilight saga fans but anyone who enjoys good music by great musicians
Yet another fantastic mix of artists and music on this album just like it's three predecessors which I also have. If your'e a fan of the film or even if your not then you won't be disappointed with this album. I must admit that these soundtrack albums are some of my favourite to listen to and I think it's because there's a good mix of music on them especially some of the more 'unknown' artists that I have discovered from these albums. I brilliant soundtrack:)
on 17 January 2013
I have all saga's movies and all soundtracks... And I honestly do not understand why this one got so many good reviews. I thought except maybe 2 songs this is boring beyond belief. Twilight soundtrack was in my opinion a masterpiece, New Moon soundtrack was also very good - a bit different but the flow of the music with the movie was perfect, Eclipse - a bit worse although with some real gems (Florence and the Machine), Breaking Dawn - is the worst of them and I suspected it to be watching the movie. If the pattern continues I am definitely not going to buy second part soundtrack. The Vampire Diaries music went different way and even in season four still some good songs.
on 6 March 2013
This is the first time that I have ever purchased an official soundtrack from a film, and spent some time trying to decide which one to buy. The CD arrived yesterday and is absolutly brilliant - can't stop playing it. It has introduced me to artists that I have never come across before and I shall definitely purchase soundtrack CD's from the other Twilight films on the strength of this one. Would recommend this CD to both Twilight fans and non Twilight fans.

I am also considering buying the Breaking Dawn [Part 1] Film Score which has also have very good reviews from other purchasers, and will leave feedback on my findings.
on 10 November 2011
It is undeniably fantastic. Can't wait for the 18th! If the songs are this good, then the film should be even better.