on 19 October 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
One of the first things I noticed about VideoStudio Pro X4 Ultimate is that the interface is slightly scary in terms of all the buttons and tool windows. Whilst this seems common for all "serious" video editing packages, it is worth pointing out as a warning for people who are looking for something a little more amateurish and easy to get into without having to spend several days getting used to the various functions. For example my next door neighbour likes to dabble in a little bit of holiday footage that he sends on to relatives and friends - I would not recommend this package to him as he only has a small amount of computer literacy and would be overwhelmed by the wealth of options here. I should point out that the Ultimate package includes 3D functionality, with a set of 3D glasses included in the box. Overall this is a great package and, as an amateur in the field of video editing, I will probably only scratch the surface of what this software can do.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 October 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have used a number of video editing packages such as Power Director 7 and 9 but often find them frustrating however I have a soft spot for Corel software and found this a great improvement. In addition to the core program the package has a number of additional programs and extras such as Marcella to minimise shake which is surprisingly effective allowing smooth pans and steady zooms. A pair of folding red / blue 3D glasses are also included as well as Boris Graffiti for titles and a voucher for a free download of WinZip pro which is still superb.

The user interface is intuitive and clear and file management is well thought out. Encoding and production seems efficient with support for a wide range of file types such as WMV, FLV, MOV as well as the ability to burn to Blu-Ray or DVD. The interface and actions are slick and responsive however my PC is an Intel i5 so it is quite powerful. In summary this is a comprehensive and easy to use package.
VINE VOICEon 13 October 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Unlike most of the other reviewers I'm something of an amateur in this arena. I've dabbled in a bit of video editing but nothing terribly intense or creative so this has been a bit of an education for me.
At first encounter it's all a bit overwhelming if all you want is to tidy up you video footage and make it look a bit more presentable. But once you get into it the features on the Pro X4 do some pretty amazing stuff. As mentioned elsewhere the Mercalli has the ability to make shoddy hand held footage seem like some tour de force Robert Altman tracking shot (well...almost).
Anyway...still getting to grips with much of what's on offer (can't really be bothered with 3D gimmickry) but this does seems to have everything I could want and more besides. So I guess if you're looking for editing software that you won't feel the need to update with every iteration then this looks like an excellent buy.
VINE VOICEon 19 February 2012
Then look no further!

This is the first video editing package I have ever used and I am impressed with the results. It is easy to use and I think that for anyone, like me, who just wants a simple programme to polish up those holiday videos then this is ideal. The layout is easy to navigate and you can make the video as simple or as complicated as you wish. There are also other features including the stop motion animation and time-lapse photography features which provide further tools for those who want a bit more out of their hobby. Not sure about the 3D feature as I can't get it to work properly. However, I am not a fan of 3D anyway so it is not really a big loss to me!

As I said, I haven't used a video editing package before and therefore have nothing to compare it to, so there may be better packages out there but for me this does the job and I can edit my holiday videos easily!
on 12 January 2012
Bought this in the Amazon Black Friday sale at brilliant price.

Takes a long time to install and you have to Register before using. There were quite a few extra bits to download once up and running.

The layout follows an unusual (style, doesn't really look like a windows application. Very simple menus and I found it tricky to actually finf a menu for some commands.

It's not as slick as Photoshop Elements but once you get it going it runs much quicker.

I think most of this type of package work similar to one another, it's more a question of finding one with an interface you like. For me Corel is just a bit simple to look at but does the job once you understand where controls and functions are located.

I think if you are new to video work and try this one you will not be disappointed but in my opinion other packages have a more serious look to them.

3D glasses are quite honestly just a gimmick.
on 1 September 2012
My MAJOR PROBLEM with this product is that it ONLY works in FULL SCREEN mode. You cannot work on something else at the same time. If you have a dual monitor you can continue to work on the other monitor - but this full-screen-only approach is disgraceful and goes against everything we've come to expect from modern GUI applications. On this alone I would have awarded a single star.

However I have used the product from time-to-time to split up a video to isolate sections I want. But that's it. I wouldn't seriously consider this for producing anything - for mixing videos, sounds, anything.

So - two stars from me: gives me an annoying basic interface I can use for splicing a video file. And that's it. I avoid this application because I usually keep anywhere from 10-40 open on my desktop at any one time and I don't one any single one taking over the entire screen real estate.
on 26 July 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
one of the first thing that use when I owned a camcorder is video studio and they never been owned by Corel before.
But now that this is owned by Corel this product gives a lot of room for improvements and i'm very impressed with the quality and the video that it produce.
video studio is an excellent program to expand your creativeness, with all of the editing tools you will need to create a very nice video output and never leaves you with just a boring and plain captured videos. This product now includes production to the latest and up to date technology: blu-ray, hd and 3d authoring.
With a descent or powerful PC that have a firewire slot where you can connect your DV camcorder up to the latest digital Camcorder, and your creativeness, your can create the video that you desire and share it with your friends by media or online sharing. like you tube.
on 17 October 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
For a while now I've been hanging on to PowerDirector for my more basic day-to-day editing needs, all the while keeping an eye on Corel's VideoStudio as it got better and better and now I'll say it, I'm sold on VideoStudio. For the price this is a fantastic editing suite no matter what level of user you are or what it is you want to edit/produce (okay, you probably wouldn't get away with it if you want to make a feature film, but then again, I've seen some edited with worse!). Pretty easy to use once you get used to the layout, which honestly shouldn't take you too long, especially if you've used editing software before. The 3D is a little iffy but I can forgive them that, it's still a very nice package with all the basics covered and plenty else to keep you busy endlessly. PowerDirector's gone (at least for now), it's VideoStudio all the way for me now.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I passed this program to our 17 yo who is doing media studies at high school. He used it for matriculation level assignment and here are his thoughts:

The program was easy to load - just pop in the disk and go. It's similar to other video editing software so if you know other programs, this one won't be a problem to use. It is really good for working on slower computers because it uses less memory and processing speed than some of its rivals. It doesn't have as many options as Sony Vegas and Premier Elements. A lot of the digital effects available on other programs are not available here. OK for putting things together but a media student needs something bigger and more advanced. But on the plus side, VideoStudio is more user friendly. Good for small projects.

Our 17yo would recommend VideoStudio as a starter package or for anyone who wants to move up from Windows Moviemaker. It allows you to do basic editing.
on 19 December 2012
Purchased this about April 2012 but didn't install until November '12 - had no need! Tried to use it - would not recognised Sony cameras - sent loads of emails to their tech guys - who did respond but did not provide answers that worked. Main problem is that it is impossible to talk to anyone for tech assistance. Oh Yes - Sales have telephones , are polite etc ....but useless!!

After many many hours of frustration I eventually gave up - but as a last chance I went back to Amazon - what a difference - was able to speak to an adviser and got an immediate agreement to take product back and give me a refund. THANK YOU AMAZON - YOU ARE GREAT - but it is a pity that you have to deal with such rubbish companies that don't seem to know the meaning of customer service.