5.0 out of 5 stars Who needs a laptop when you've got one of these? :)
Published on 20 Sep 2011 by Paul

3.0 out of 5 stars Amlost a great keyboard case
Published on 24 Jan 2012 by Chris B.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who needs a laptop when you've got one of these? :), 20 Sep 2011
This review is from: New Trent IMP39B Embassy Keyboard Case (Black) for iPad 2, Bluetooth keyboard /w leather finish back cover for Apple iPad 2 3G Tablet, WIFI Model, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, with three different adjustable angles
I'd gotten to the point where dragging the laptop everywhere was becoming ... a drag. My iPad 2, my trusty travelling companion, is now the predominant device in my life - until I have a lot to 'say' (so to speak). A virtual keyboard is great of course, but I find it a bit heavy going when I'm churning out mail after mail, or rolling a doc using Pages. So the idea of a wireless keyboard that I could use - or not use depending on my needs - had a certain amount of appeal.

So, about this keyboard. It's made of a brushed Aluminium and feels rugged. Sturdy. This is something that would kick around in a bag quite happily without fear of destruction. It also compliments the iPad 2's rear very nicely indeed. The iPad 2 rests nicely on top of the keyboard to form a hardened exterior - that screen will be perfectly safe in there. Those who fear the scratches may grizzle at the lack of protection for the rear of the iPad 2, certainly I had to remove my back cover to buddy it up. Might I suggest one of those Invisible Shields to mitigate the risk, if you are that way inclined.

The unit is supplied partially charged, and comes with a handy mini-USB cable to charge it up. I haven't needed to charge it up yet, and I've given it a good old thrashing let me tell you, so if that's anything to go by this device will run and run. It snoozes after a period of inactivity, and wakes up with a button press. Very easy indeed, and of course this can only help the longevity of the battery. Did I mention that it works with the magnets built into the iPad's screen? I have now, and it's a great touch.

Pairing the keybaord is a doddle, and a one-off operation. The supplied 1 page documentation is all you need, and describes the process well for the unordained. I got my technophobe wife to have a try herself, and she was able to pair the device with no problems.

The keyboard is a nice size. The keys are well spaced, with a nice travel. It feels like a real keyboard and behaves like one too. All too often I find that these keyboards trade off size against useability. Not so here. I was able to get through Word Processing and eMail tasks with ease. If I were to have one teeny criticism, it would be that the ridge around the edge of the keyboard can get in the way a little, but it is such a minor quibble, I almost feel embarrassed to mention it. I'd like to give the hotkeys across the top of the keyboard a special mention. They're great! You even have the solitary iPad button replicated in the top left side of the keyboard. Turning on the slide show with a single keypress is a nice touch as well.

The iPad will rest in a special ridge at the top of the keyboard, and can go landscape or portrait. I do like the way I am not constrained with orientation, like you are with some similar keyboards.

In summary then, there's very little to fault. This is a perfect accompaniment to your iPad and once you have it, you'll find the laptop (or indeed your desktop) being used less and less. This is very much the future ladies and gentlemen. Invest in this device and you will not be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality case & keyboard, 9 Aug 2012
Length:: 3:00 Mins

Very good quality keyboard. (Sorry about the video quality but hope it will help others when deciding which keyboard to buy!)

I've already got a clear protective skin on my iPad so the case didn't fit as well as I hoped but I still use it for the keyboard.

Very useful for typing long documents or just writing emails.

I tested the keyboard with the Notes App in the video but I have tested it in Mail, Safari, Chrome etc.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amlost a great keyboard case, 24 Jan 2012
I have really been happy with the other products I have purchased from New Trent and was looking forward to testing this product. I have an iPad 1 with a bluetooth keyboard case from another manufacturer and wanted something similar, but better for my iPad 2. I really wanted to love this case, but due to some limitations it will probably not stay full-time in my bag.

My first impressions were favorable. This is a two piece case design, meaning that the back cover can stay on the iPad even when the keyboard isn't needed. It was easy to pop the iPad into the form fitting back and setup/discovery was fast. The keyboard sits inside the case magnetically (unlike the Velcro used in some brands).

Now the details:

Good:
1. The "leather finish" consists of an insert on both the front and back of the case. This is best described as a hard-candy style case. It can be slippery to hold over time, but feels like it wold provide more protection in the event of a drop.

2. The 2-piece design takes a little getting used to, but is great in that it allows you to have the iPad in either a portrait or landscape orientation and still use the keyboard.

3. The battery life was very good. I did not take my laptop on my last trip (5 days) and only recharged once. I really appreciate the fact that it is a standard micro USB connector so I could use a cable already in my bag.

Bad:
1. The keyboard has a removable rubber cover that protects the screen. It is not attached in any way to the rest of the case. Guess how many airplane rides before I lost it? Without the rubber cover, there is nothing protecting the screen from being struck by the magnetically attached keyboard inside the case. I have a good screen protector, but this seems like a miss in the design.

2. The 2 pieces of the case separate pretty easily. I.E. every time I placed the case in my bag.

3. The case is relatively slick, even with the leather inserts. I had several close calls with drops.

4. The keys are smaller than those on my Brookstone case. I am sure I would get used to them over time, but it is noticeable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellant Deal!, 23 Nov 2011
First I'd like to say is if your debating or in the market for a keyboard for your IPAD this is an excellant choice. Very user friendly and easy to set up. After puchasing this product I find myself using my IPAD even more now for things that I normally wouldnt for before I had a keyboard. Also I carry my IPAD around everywhere and always am afraid of it being scratched. Prior to this I used an Otterbox case which was bulky and heavy and this case is alot lighter and thinner and seems to protect it very well. After daily use there is no scratches on IPAD and the case still appears to be brand new.

The only drawbacks I can find is I wouldnt feel comfortable using this on my lap, I feel like the IPAD wants to tip over but when using this on the desk it feels very sturdy and I would recommend having a better way to charge the IPAD while its docked.

But overall I am very pleased with this product and very much recmmend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Case!!, 15 Nov 2011
Tried others, this is the ONE!, November 12, 2011

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: New Trent IMP39B Embassy Keyboard Case for iPad 2, Bluetooth keyboard /w leather finish back cover for Apple iPad 2 3G Tablet, WIFI Model, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, with three different adjustable angles (Electronics)

I have 2 cases w/ keyboards implemented in them for my iPad 2. One is the Belkin which gets rave reviews and is nice. This item however is the one I am keeping.

Why? Because MOST of the time, I don't want my iPad 2 in a case at all and this case can handle that. The Belkin wants your iPad to itself all the time, effectively turning it into a laptop. If I wanted a laptop, I'd use my macbook.

The New Trent Keyboard is really the best of both worlds - the case on the actual iPad is perfect: not too thin, not too thick and integrates very well into the keyboard side of this product, but allows for independent use perfectly.

The keys are responsive and smaller than a full size keyboard, but still very useable.

It also has multiple "iPad" specific keys which is great - allowing you to NOT be hitting the home button on the iPad every 2 seconds...

I will pick up several of these for Holiday gifts...
Comment Permalink

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Keyboard!, 3 Nov 2011
I am using my very cool wireless keyboard to write this review. Granted the keys are a little on the small side, it is a great tool. It makes using the Ipad for actual typing possible. The wireless connects to the keyboard flawlessly. Just charge up the battery, connect the bluetooth once and you are ready to go.

Pros:
It is easy to connect and use.
I love the arrow keys on the keyboard - sometimes I have a hard time getting the cursor to go where I want it to with the touch screen
Long lasting battery.
It's nice that you can adjust the angle of the screen.
The leather on the bottom keeps the whole setup from slipping around.
It is all very compact and light.
I can remove the keyboard and use it separately. I can use it with any bluetooth device including my iphone

Cons:
Personally I prefer the outside to be without company logos and names - the company name is on every side.
Keys are pretty small - okay for me because I have fairly small hands but might be tough for people with big fingers.
I wish the shift key on the right side was bigger. I keep hitting the up arrow when I think I am shifting. The delete key seems to be the same as the "back" key. Maybe if they double the size of the shift key and move the arrows over?

All in all, I really like the keyboard. It makes typing on the iPad do-able! Highly recommended if you are looking for a wireless keyboard.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful design. Works with variety of devices. Cover feels a bit cheap, 3 Mar 2012
Keyboard: keys are larger than other keyboards I have owned (in a good way.) Keys are spaced apart comfortably, and it was very good to type with most of the time. Keys have a nice resistance, except some seemed to require a stronger force to push down. For fast typers (I type at 80-100 WPM), the requirement to push down on some keys harder makes some keys not show up on the screen, prompting for the use of the Backspace key a lot. Maybe the keys will respond better over time as they wear out.

Keyboard skin/cover: the transparent cover that comes on top of the keyboard helps protect the keys from dirt and dust, but makes typing with it on very difficult for touch-typists.

Manual/Packaging: nice packaging. However, the box or the manual doesn't mention that a microUSB cable is included. I accidentally found it in the long, white, unmarked box inside the packaging.

TESTS:

On HTC Incredible Android 2.3 phone:
Paired with keyboard by typing 0000 on the phone and on the keyboard. (Phone did not show the pairing code.) All alphanumeric keys worked. The search, volume, and media playing keys did not work with the phone.

On HP TouchPad running Android 4.03 (CyanogenMod 9 Alpha 3):
Paired with on-screen pairing code. None of the keys worked. However, this could be due to the operating system being still in development stage.

On HP TouchPad running WebOS:
Paired with on-screen pairing code. All alphanumeric keys worked.

iMac: did not test.

Windows 7 PC: did not test.

iPod Touch 2nd Generation:
Paired with on-screen pairing code. Worked perfectly. Most of the keys, including the special-function keys worked. I was able to control brightness, volume, media playback, screen lock/unlock perfectly.

iPad 2:
Paired with on-screen pairing code. Worked perfectly. It was so good, my coworker wanted to buy the keyboard from Amazon right away, but he'll wait until he has sold his current keyboard first.

The back cover (where the iPad would fit) felt very cheap. However, the concept of being able to protect the iPad and transport it with the keyboard is great. It's very useful.

The adjustable-angle stand worked perfectly for the iPod, iPad, and HP TouchPad.

The ability to remove the keyboard was a very welcome addition for the times when you don't want to have the whole tray with or on you.

Issue found: when you are charging the keyboard, you cannot pair with any of the devices. The Charge and CAPS lights stay on, BT light stays off. After disconnecting the charger and turning off the keyboard, then back on, it allowed you to pair with your device again. As a workaround, disconnect the charger, pair to the device, then plug the charger back in.

Manual: the English is not very good. Some grammar/translation work needs to be done there.

Overall, this is the best keyboard my coworker and I have ever used. It worked for a variety of devices, the keyboard was fun to type on (except for the keys you have to push down harder on), and the thoughtfulness into the overall product design was good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Product - Don't Hesitate, 22 Nov 2011
This is exactly what I have been needing. The multi-position option is a great feature. I also like that the keyboard is removable. The right shift key is a bit difficult to find until you get used to its location. The battery life is amazing. I have been using the keyboard regularly for about 2 weeks and have not had to charge it. The case gives the iPad great protection and it looks good. I highly recommend this item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of the box better than the rest!, 22 Nov 2011
My review of the New Trent IMP39B Embassy Keyboard Case for iPad 2, Bluetooth keyboard /w leather finish back cover for Apple iPad 2 3G Tablet, WIFI Model, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, with three different adjustable angles

In brief - The iPad 2 is awesome. However productivity beyond quickly pecking out "LOL" with the native on-screen keyboard leaves lots to be desired. Seeking speed of typing closer to traditional laptop key boards opens the iPad 2 user to a growing selection of input devices, most grouped in the $50-$100 price range. The New Trent IMP39B Embassy Keyboard Case for iPad 2, Bluetooth keyboard /w leather finish back cover for Apple iPad 2 is different first on price (sub $50 retail) and again on functionality and overall performance satisfaction. Connect with this combo keyboard and protective iPad 2 tablet case and you've got a svelte productivity tool equal to your much bulkier laptops.
After nearly a month of active use, (see my Unboxing video review for this product [...], I'm very pleased with the New Trent IMP39B Embassy Keyboard Case for iPad 2, Bluetooth keyboard /w leather finish back cover for Apple iPad 2

Here's my uncovered Pros and Cons:
Pros:
* Solid and well designed.
* Superfast set-up - out of the box - set-up, (see my unbox video...)
* Three position screen tilt (40, 6 & 75 degree) preset positions are fool proof and secure
* Keyboard is solid, well-spaced, providing for very acceptable touch typing output.
* The molded leather like finish gives the IMP39B just enough tactical grip to carry it with slip-free confidence.
* Type-through silicon keyboard cover keeps things clean and helps prevent possible impact marring for your valuable iPad screen.
* USB rechargeable battery lasts a LONG time. I used right out of the box for 6+ hours before needing its first charge.
* At less than $50 retail, this is an exceptional value!
* The keyboards construction should last through millions of keystrokes. (I've had friends who made the earlier adopter mistake of investing in the Zagg. Not only does it offer zero back cover protection. They also have had spotty success with the Zagg's USB charging port failing or simply falling into the cavity of the keyboard when attempting to recharge. Not fun!) On the other hand the IMP39B feels and functions like it's built to last)

As happy as I am with the New Trent IMP39B here's a few things that I'd suggest for making the IMP39B even better

Cons:
1. Recharge cut-out for your iPad 2. New Trent has smartly designed a USB cut-out in the base so you can conveniently recharge the wireless key board. If they had only trimmed out a few more millimeters of side material from base you'd be able to also recharge your iPad 2 while it's securely nested in the IMP35B closed position. Yet, now I'm required to slightly open the iPad from its closed position in order to insert the iPad charging / sync cable.
2. Back cover should be designed to be compatible with Apple Smart Covers. Because there are times when you don't need your wireless Bluetooth key board, but you still want the protection for iPad 2's back and screen. Having the IMP39B's back over be similar to New Trent's IMP35B Textured Slim-Fit back cover, which works for the Apple Smart Cover would be outstanding.
3. Add a USB recharging cord holder. The New Trent IMP38B Airbender iPad 2 features a cool storage bay to hold the keyboards USB charging cable. It would be extra great if the engineering wizards at New Trent could figure out a similar way to stow and keep the IMP39B's USB charging cord safely yoked to this outstanding iPad 2 productivity essential.

All in all the New Trent IMP39B Embassy Keyboard Case for iPad 2, Bluetooth keyboard /w leather finish back cover for Apple iPad 2 is an exceptional product for an outstanding price. I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy little keyboard, 17 Sep 2011
I'll cut to the chase with this keyboard.
i have had this product over a week or so and overall its very good but there is some problems which may or may not bother you depending who you are.

Once you place the ipad in the keyboard, no clipping things into place just slide the ipad in the keyboard and done its in. Once you connect via bluetooth the keyboard is good to go.I must say this keyboard layout and space is better than IM38 keyboard they make. its a full sized keyboard with a lot of space who as big fingers, it also is very slick its very thin and suits the style of the ipad very well.

So whats the problems?

the big one for a lot of people will be when you fold the unit and say put it in a bag the back of the unit is completely bare so its prone to damage and the normal wear and tear the ipad back does not fare very well.

Another minor problem is they do not ship a charging lead with the keyboard, which i think is a big problem for someone who just use apple products, luckily for me i had some USB B cables laying about. Its clearly worth noting

id recommend this keyboard for someone who does a lot of typing, but does not want to add bulk and keep the slickness of the ipad

Thanks Naphos