2,232
SoundMAGIC E10 Earphones - Silver/Black
Colour Name: Silver/BlackChange
Price:£29.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 16 November 2011
Nice set of cans. I once spent £90 on a pair of Shures only to find that they didn't sound anywhere near as great as expected so I'm no longer prepared to spend silly money on something that for hygiene reasons you can't really try before you buy. I've been through a few of the usual budget options: Sennheiser CX300 (pretty good), Klipsch X1 (not bad) and Skullcandy Titans (not great) and these SoundMagics beat them all hands down. They have a lovely, warm, powerful sound. Volume is good, bass is deep and rich but doesn't overpower the mids and treble, sonic detail is impressive across every genre of music I've thrown at them so far (everything from pre-war blues to filthy dubstep). I've only had them a few days so it's a bit early to comment on build quality but they seem nice and sturdy; the earpieces, jack attachment and the collar where the wires split are all metal and seem robust. Mine came with 7 different options of ear buds (rather than the usual 3 that most manufacturers seem to supply) which is great as finding the correct fit makes a big difference to the sound of in-ear 'phones. Tempted to buy a 2nd pair for spare.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 29 July 2015
I've owned my E10 for the last 3 years and have been very impressed with the sound and build quality. I'm an ex-Sennheiser CX300-II owner, but moved over to the E10 after reading a What Hi-Fi review.

SOUND QUALITY:
Sound is smooth and well balanced. You get plenty of bass weight, but without the boom at the bottom end that many entry level earphones exhibit. You're not going to get the kind of detail you can expect from a multi-driver earphone, but for a dynamic driver these earphones dig out plenty of detail.

FIT
The earphones are comfortable and easily fit in the bowl of the ear. Standard tips supplied are OK, but I'd recommend trying others. Getting a good fit with the right eartips is essential. Try Comply or custom sleeves if you find bass response is lacking. I upgraded to Snugs custom sleeves, which is a really nice upgrade.

BUILD QUALITY
The earphone and cabling is very well made. The cable is a twisted cable that rejects microphone noise fairly well and is very strong. All components are made of metal and last well. You really can't fault the E10 for the money.
review image review image
on 1 February 2015
Bought to replace my lost Soundmagic PL30 in-ear headphones during a flash sale; this will be a comparison between them and my (old and broken) Sennheiser CX300II. There is a TL;DR.

FIT:
Both Soundmagic pairs come with 7 tip sizes, including one double-flange set and 3 foam tips, Sennheiser came with only 3 pairs of silicone tips.
The Soundmagic pairs therefore allowed me to find a better fit for my ear: The double flange-set isolate noise much better than silicone tips but not as good as foam, however I find the DF more comfortable than foam.
The PL30s have a big advantage for comfort, since they are designed for the cable to wrap around the top of your ear, and even have rubber inserts to use if you wish. This makes them especially good for walking, whereas the other two can easily fall out if your fit is not perfect.

SOUND:
The PL30s come with an inbuilt bass-boost switch on each earpiece, but it can be a bit fiddly to change; you'll want to set if you want it or not, and leave it there. The effect is not massive, but does add a little extra warmth to the sound, and can be useful for more orchestral or heavier music. I would probably recommend just using an equaliser on your music device, but options are always good, and the other two lack this.
I listen to music ranging from symphonic and melodic metal to 80s synth, so I value high range response as well as vocal clarity and bass. The E10 have the weakest bass response out of the three, with the CX300 having the best (PL30 in standard mode), but the PL30s have the clearest high end, though all three are of a high calibre.

USABILITY & PACKAGING:
The E10s easily have the most pleasant day-today experience. While both Soundmagics come with a hard carry case (soft pouch for the Sennheisers), and the round PL30 case being awesome since they have an elastic loop you can use to secure them after rolling them around your hand, the anti-tangle cable of the E10 is really great. Of course they still tangle a little if you just stuff them in your pocket or in a bag, but they are much easier to untie, which was more of a problem for the other two if you're too cool for cases.

The packaging of the PL30s was very pleasing and gave the impression of a quality product. The box was the smallest of the three and has a minimalistic design for colour and flourishes. There was very little excess space compared to the others, and I wasn't keen on the plastic packaging on the Sennheisers (though my pair were old and they may have changed the packaging since).

TL;DR:
If you can afford the Soundmagic PL30 pair, I recommend buying those. They have the best fit, carry case and overall sound quality. If not, the E10s are the next best with the hard carry case and anti-tangle cable. I would avoid the Sennheiser CX300 unless you are desperate for lots of bass, since the soft carry pouch is a turn-off and have the smallest variety of tips.
on 6 June 2013
So I bought these a few weeks ago and have been using them a lot. In a word they are awesome.

The good points?

1. Rich, deep, bass. Sounds great with rock and metal. You hear people talk about buying great new earphones and all their favourite tracks sound different. The E10s will do that if you are coming from a budget pair - I heard greater depth, new words and minor variations in bass sounds I hadn't picked up on using budget (£40) Sennheiser's . Prior to that I had a pair of high range Skull Candy's I got in a 70% off sale. Those earphones were 5 times the price and sure, they sounded better than the E10s, but only just.

2. Robustness. These seem like heavy-duty earphones with a virtually indestructible cable and robust ear-pieces. After my Skull Candy's went gaga in one ear I ripped the cable from the connector all too easily. The E10s haven't tried my patience, yet, but they would definitely put up a better fight.

3. Practicality. For me the biggest point. I have had many earphones and all of them tended to slip just a little when moving around. The design of these buds means that most of the weight is resting on the ear and not on the cable, thus they tend to stay in place better. There is a also a simple little clip on the cable you can attach to clothing and a thing that adjusts the length of the cable between the ear piece and where the cable forks. All helps prevent shocks that may pull the earphone out of position.

4. Power. Unless you change the defaults, Itunes follows EU regulations to prevent possible ear damage. With these earphones, unlike any of my 7-8 previous pairs, it feels like the EU needs to tighten up those regulations. Never thought I would hear myself say that. I've always been a full power kinda guy.

5. Noise-cancelling properties. I wore these cutting the grass and while I could feel the vibrations through the handle of the mower, I couldn't hear the engine at all. I was using maximum volume at the time.

6. Delivery arrived within the specified window, package was in good condition

Possible Drawbacks?

1. Volume. Parts of your tracks will have a minor crackling at max volume, more so when you see how to increase the volume on Itunes beyond the factory settings. @ 95% volume there is no crackling whatsoever. This may be a positive though as 100% volume for long periods might actually kill you.

2. Cable. Cable is excellent but is a fraction on the short side if you are tall.
on 4 April 2015
Well made, great sound, and very well packaged. These are a replacement for my iPod earphones, I tried a few other major brands, all were rubbish, either too tiny, not enough base, flat, no depth or just fell out of my ears. These are better than my long defunct and no longer made previous ultimate favourite Sennheiser earphones. They sound as good if not better, just the right balance from hight to low, excellent build quality and come with a full range of ear buds in a stiff zip case that also hold my iPod Shuffle and the USB lead giving them all lots of protection if in my bag.
on 29 March 2015
Great audio quality, as good as the £80 Beats I used to possess (what a waste of money!). My only issue is it holds the folds (it doesn't tangle though) so there are slight folds in the wire as a result of storing it folded.
on 14 January 2015
All you hear anyone say when talking about earphones or headphones is beats, beats, beats. I just could not justify paying the money they are after for a set of headphones. I have a pair of Sennheiser's which are used for the gym and a pair of headphones which came with the iPhone 3G to use in the office. The Sennheiser's are really good for the gym, the only issue I have with them is the cable is too long. The Apple one's have started to become a bit tired and the sound from them is pretty poor to be honest but I have battled on with them as it is only in the office I use them.

I have really been forced into making a purchase as just over a month ago someone new has moved to the desk behind me with a very irritating voice and talks constantly without having any point to any story, whether it be work related or not. So after a quick search for headphones and not wanting to spend a mortgage payment on a decent pair I have arrived at the SoundMAGIC E10's.

Packaged well and came with lots of extra eartips. After plugging them in (and not having any music playing yet) the external sound reduced greatly. Now apply some music and I am in heaven, no need to listen to pointless drivel from said twat anymore! Hurrah!! I have my Windows volume set about 30% and my Spotify volume also about 30% and I cannot hear what anyone is saying. Could probably go lower.

The best £30 I have spent in a long time! The sound quality is great, no tinniness and the bass is brilliant.

Might even get another pair for the gym!
on 26 April 2014
The SoundMAGIC's exceeded my epectations in every way. Great value for money, Well built, Choice of 7 ear buds (take time to try the best fit because that really makes a difference), excellent tangle free cable, unbelievably small and light and with a hard shell carry case and most of all, sound like they cost 3 x the price. What's not to like!!

After reading the rave reviews and checking "What Hi Fi" tests I figured these headphones must be at least good value and sound reasonably good compared to the budget variety I am used to. I was blown away by how good they sound for the price, especially when you factor in the discount on RRP when bought on Amazon. If you are looking for a new set try these before splashing out £50+ on a premium brand.
The sound is precise at all frequencies, spacious, clear and Bass is natural. Switch on the equalizer if your device has one and these phones will deliver the same sound quality but biased to whichever setting you choose. In Google music player the equalizer setting "Normal" produces a much warmer and fuller sound with thumping or booming Bass, depending on the track, but still wih clear Midrange and sparkling Treble and same precision across the range. I'm hearing stuff in my mp3 tracks that I never knew was there, and by that I mean good stuff.
The only in ear phones I ever liked over the years were a pair that came with a "Creative Muvo" player years ago, unfortunately now in bits and replaced with various pairs of very average ones. I was about to invest £50 to £100 in another set of "Creatives" but am glad I spotted these. Pays to do your research I guess.

These earphones will deliver precision sound with whatever equalizer setting you prefer or a clean "reference" experience without.
on 9 March 2014
First, I'm not a big user of earphones, so bear that in mind with my comments. I'm also a very late adopter of mobile technology. I eventually realised that I needed earphones to make better use of my recently acquired smart phone and I've always thought the 'speakers' on my iPad mini were tinny beyond belief. So I searched for recommendations on the web and these earphones were praised everywhere. Some reviews even suggested you'd have to spend 3-figure sums to get better sound. So I took the plunge.

APPEARANCE: They do look good. I know that shouldn't be a major factor, but the packaging, presentation and the 'phones themselves all contributed to a value-for-money feeling. Here they're described as 'silver/black', but there's no silver visible anywhere - they're a gray/black combination. Personally I find it attractive.

CONTENT: At this price I think I expected to receive a pair of earphones and nothing else. I was surprised, pleasantly so, to see what else was provided. There's a really tidy hard-shell storage case. It's about 2.5" square - jet-black with a bright red zip closure all the way round the middle. Inside, each half-shell has a mesh net pocket extending full-width and about half-way up its open height. Looks well constructed and very useful.
In one of the mesh pockets was a small SoundMAGIC spring-clip, presumably for attaching the earphone cable to a collar or other item of clothing.
In the other was a plastic bag with the writing
"SoundMAGIC
Ear hook
Comfortable rubber earhooks for cable back to ear"
Through the plastic I could see what turned out to be 6 different pairs of rubber tips for the earphones (different sizes and shapes) and what looked like a small pair of bent plastic rods. I assumed they were the 'earhooks'.
Surprise! When I emptied the bag, I got rubber tips, but it turned out the earhooks were actually an image printed on the clear plastic bag. Very strange. I still can't explain this. Nevertheless the different sized tips have provided me with a really comfortable fit, and I don't feel like I need any hooks or clips to keep them in place.

SOUND: The earphones themselves are surprisingly, to me, very good indeed. Since I got them I have listened to classical and jazz music, solo instruments and large ensembles, and the 'phones are genuinely very pleasing and satisfying. However, the cable is incredibly noisy! I don't know if this is a characteristic of all earphones of this type or only these. When I move around, or even just turn my head, the cable brushing against my clothes or head generates thumps and rumbles that are incredibly distracting. To get some idea of what I'm talking about and see if your own 'phones have the same issue try this test: pinch the cable at any point really tightly with one hand, using your thumb and one or two forefingers; now, using the other hand, flick the cable with your forefinger above where you've pinched it and again below where you've pinched it. I find these two conditions massively different. The 'below' flick causes no problems - all the cable vibrations and noise get trapped and damped out by my pinched thumb and fingers. But the 'above' flick produces a massive thump in my ears as all the cable noise is transmitted straight to me ears. It's as if the cables were acting as a microphone. It may be, but it's not clear, that this is exactly why the spring-clip is provided - to anchor the cable as close to your head as possible.

SUMMARY: Build, appearance, extras, basic sound quality, all seem 'good' verging on the 'excellent'. But until I've resolved this cable noise I can't say this will be my preferred method of listening. I'm happy to persevere because the positive impressions of everything else in this purchase make me feel there has to be a way around it.
on 5 March 2014
Like most in-ear earphones they come with a selection of earbuds to choose from. When you find the right set these are some awesome earphones, the noise cancellation is great meaning that you don't have to turn the volume too high and damage your ears. I regularly walk along a busy road in the morning and, with previous headphones, found myself having to turn the volume way up, especially when listening to podcasts. With these earphones I rarely have too, if I do, its only a small increase.

The sound quality is crystal clear, decent bass but if you are so inclined then you'd be better off with over-ear headphones.

With the earphones you get a small carrying case (black and red, pretty stylish), a set of earbuds and a removable clip that can attach to the wire and clip onto clothing and what not if you want to use these during sports.

The wire looks like standard cables but if you look closely you can tell that it is braided (which greatly helps stopping tangles) and sheathed in plastic (Which protects the braiding, giving longer life).

The earphones themselves as you may notice in the product photo have a blue band and band signifying left and right, respectively, which help you figure out which head goes in which ear and is immensely useful.

All of these little design choices come together to make a great pair of earphones that I'd recommend to anyone. They may be expensive but if you're going to be using them day-in and day-out then they are worth it.