4.2 out of 5 stars2,641
Colour Name: Black & Silver|Change

on 30 July 2015
I discovered the E10 when reading a review for Shure headphones. The reviewer compared them favourably given they were significantly cheaper. He was right to and I've been impressed with both the sound quality, which is superb and the look of them. They also feel well made - the earphone body is made from aluminium and seems very solid.
The sound quality is the best I've heard at this price. Plenty of bass and lots of detail. The cabling appears to be strong a well made. The earphones seem like they will last for a good few years yet. The E10 fit well in my ear and isolate the sound well making them great for commuting - I tried all the tips and ended up going back to the medium size.
Overall this is a quality set of earphones that I can highly recommend.
review image review image
on 28 February 2016
The E10s are a great pair of earphones - they sound fairly balanced for the price, have a nice little bit of sparkle and bring a smile to your face.

I'm writing this review having just added my third pair to my basket. This is good and bad. The first set didn't last long - I think they got sat on and broke - or something that you can't really blame them for. The second set Amazon tells me I purchased on '21 Feb 2014'. For a £30 anything, two years of life is good enough for me. Recently, one of ears just stopped working - not sure why, there are no obvious cable breaks or anything like that. I considered getting a different pair, but what's the point when these are still lauded as some of the best value headphones.

They can very occasionally sound a bit muddy (the mid-bass is slightly too high in comparison to the highs). of worth noting this bothers me, but my parents love high-bass and have told me they'd rather a set of beats...

The cable noise is irritating. It really is, if I'm moving around or just getting into a quiet passage in a track, the cable noise is loud, and sounds like an improperly balance record player, overwhelming much of the musical subtlety. Again, the solution for this is to stay still, but I wouldn't suggest them for running.

The straight plug is a mixed blessing, I much prefer them to 90 degree L plugs, but they take up a lot of space and you feel like the end of the cable is left a bit exposed with them.. a 45 degree plug (like on the E50s) would be better.

Finally, the cable. It's ugly, *but* it is great. I normally roll them around my hand and stick them back in their little carry case to transport them, unless they are in my pocket. I must have ravelled them and unravelled them 200 times, but they still lasted 2 years.

They're ugly little things, but they work damn well. I'm going to go ahead and checkout now, because I'm missing my music.
on 16 November 2011
Nice set of cans. I once spent £90 on a pair of Shures only to find that they didn't sound anywhere near as great as expected so I'm no longer prepared to spend silly money on something that for hygiene reasons you can't really try before you buy. I've been through a few of the usual budget options: Sennheiser CX300 (pretty good), Klipsch X1 (not bad) and Skullcandy Titans (not great) and these SoundMagics beat them all hands down. They have a lovely, warm, powerful sound. Volume is good, bass is deep and rich but doesn't overpower the mids and treble, sonic detail is impressive across every genre of music I've thrown at them so far (everything from pre-war blues to filthy dubstep). I've only had them a few days so it's a bit early to comment on build quality but they seem nice and sturdy; the earpieces, jack attachment and the collar where the wires split are all metal and seem robust. Mine came with 7 different options of ear buds (rather than the usual 3 that most manufacturers seem to supply) which is great as finding the correct fit makes a big difference to the sound of in-ear 'phones. Tempted to buy a 2nd pair for spare.
55 comments|205 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 July 2015
I've owned my E10 for the last 3 years and have been very impressed with the sound and build quality. I'm an ex-Sennheiser CX300-II owner, but moved over to the E10 after reading a What Hi-Fi review.

SOUND QUALITY:
Sound is smooth and well balanced. You get plenty of bass weight, but without the boom at the bottom end that many entry level earphones exhibit. You're not going to get the kind of detail you can expect from a multi-driver earphone, but for a dynamic driver these earphones dig out plenty of detail.

FIT
The earphones are comfortable and easily fit in the bowl of the ear. Standard tips supplied are OK, but I'd recommend trying others. Getting a good fit with the right eartips is essential. Try Comply or custom sleeves if you find bass response is lacking. I upgraded to Snugs custom sleeves, which is a really nice upgrade.

BUILD QUALITY
The earphone and cabling is very well made. The cable is a twisted cable that rejects microphone noise fairly well and is very strong. All components are made of metal and last well. You really can't fault the E10 for the money.
review image review image
on 28 April 2016
Bought these for my daughter after her previous House of marley headphones broke. (Not just one but two of the buggers!)
Close inspection deems the build quality to be excellent, also provided are a selection of bud sizes and a nice travel case.

Tested on:
Samsung S6
HTC M8 (With Poweramp)
Cowon X9
Aune X1

Compared to my £70 Final audio headphones the Soundmagic's more then hold their own, only the bass is slightly weaker, but the Soundmagic's counter this with a very engaging sound signature and a superb rhythm. Both earphones isolate the outside world to a large degree so bear this in mind.
Bass is very good without being overblown and uncontrolled, the end result bordering on warm and punchy as opposed to bright and clinical. These ear phones are experts at making music seem just right, bass, mids and treble are woven together to create a engaging and musical experience.
If you love music then your portable source derserves better then the cheapo headphones it came with! (Yes Apple Im looking at you...)
As with most headphones the better the source, the better the sound, but even on lesser sources such as the HTC M8/S6 the sound is very clear and transparent which for the price is staggering.
If you're after studio quality neutral earphones then these are not for you, if you're after bass deeper then the Mariana trench, look elsewhere. After a fun and engaging musical experience on a budget?
Look no further!!

In short these are my new "out and about" in ear phones, marred only by the fact my seventy quid Final Audio's are stuck in a drawer gathering dust.
on 27 April 2016
I've long been an advocate for ~£30 in-ear ear phones. Previously gone through a run of Sony's and Sennheiser's around the same price. These are as comfortable as any I've used, the pre-fitted buds fit my ear very well and provided a good seal to deliver those deep bass notes. I'm no audio expert, but I can't complain one iota about any of the levels, the bass is strong, but not overpowering, the mids are clear and the highs crisp.

I regularly (by accident) whip the ear phones out of my ear at work, where they inevitably whack down on my desk. This has happened too many times and they appear to still be in fully working order.

I love the cable being slightly rigid. Granted I generally leave these plugged in at my computer at work, but I've never managed to tangle them which is quite frankly the best feature of these earphones.

They look good too, the black/gold (which is a copper colour, definitely not gold) has a nice contrast in the two tone. I also like the SoundMagic trait of colour coding the left (red) and right (blue) earphones, as these are symmetrical, it makes it very easy to pick up the right side without having to look for a tiny L or R printed on the side.

They also have a good weight on them being metal - they just feel like they're good quality. They're my second pair of SoundMagic earphones, and I can safely say I will stay loyal to the brand as these are for sure the best all around package ear phones I've ever bought - even if they broke next week, I'd buy another pair!
on 5 April 2016
To keep things simple these headphones are amazing. After using apple ear pods for the past two years as my out and about headphones I couldn't be happier. They are very comfortable (although you will need to spend some time figuring out which tips fit best), build quality is great, they never get tangled and the sound quality is on another level for the price range. I mainly listen to rock, grunge and punk with a variety of other genres but everything so far has sounded great. There isn't a huge amount of bass which is good because i find most earphones are bass heavy these days. The sound is clear and crisp and I've started hearing things in my favourite songs I've never heard before. You definitely need to find the best tips for your ears as this impacts the sound quality but the earphones come with a wide selection of tips. All in all a great set of earphones for daily use and I would highly recommend them!
on 6 June 2013
So I bought these a few weeks ago and have been using them a lot. In a word they are awesome.

The good points?

1. Rich, deep, bass. Sounds great with rock and metal. You hear people talk about buying great new earphones and all their favourite tracks sound different. The E10s will do that if you are coming from a budget pair - I heard greater depth, new words and minor variations in bass sounds I hadn't picked up on using budget (£40) Sennheiser's . Prior to that I had a pair of high range Skull Candy's I got in a 70% off sale. Those earphones were 5 times the price and sure, they sounded better than the E10s, but only just.

2. Robustness. These seem like heavy-duty earphones with a virtually indestructible cable and robust ear-pieces. After my Skull Candy's went gaga in one ear I ripped the cable from the connector all too easily. The E10s haven't tried my patience, yet, but they would definitely put up a better fight.

3. Practicality. For me the biggest point. I have had many earphones and all of them tended to slip just a little when moving around. The design of these buds means that most of the weight is resting on the ear and not on the cable, thus they tend to stay in place better. There is a also a simple little clip on the cable you can attach to clothing and a thing that adjusts the length of the cable between the ear piece and where the cable forks. All helps prevent shocks that may pull the earphone out of position.

4. Power. Unless you change the defaults, Itunes follows EU regulations to prevent possible ear damage. With these earphones, unlike any of my 7-8 previous pairs, it feels like the EU needs to tighten up those regulations. Never thought I would hear myself say that. I've always been a full power kinda guy.

5. Noise-cancelling properties. I wore these cutting the grass and while I could feel the vibrations through the handle of the mower, I couldn't hear the engine at all. I was using maximum volume at the time.

6. Delivery arrived within the specified window, package was in good condition

Possible Drawbacks?

1. Volume. Parts of your tracks will have a minor crackling at max volume, more so when you see how to increase the volume on Itunes beyond the factory settings. @ 95% volume there is no crackling whatsoever. This may be a positive though as 100% volume for long periods might actually kill you.

2. Cable. Cable is excellent but is a fraction on the short side if you are tall.
0Comment|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 October 2013
Bought to upgrade from the standard Apple earphones and as an alternative to cans and after reading a number of reviews for in-ear phones at a variety of price points. These strike a good balance between performance and cost, come with a wide range of soft rubber earpieces for an ideal isolating fit and a soft draw-string carrying pouch large enough to take an iPod or smart-phone as well. There may be higher-performing, generally much more expensive products on the market, but do you want to risk losing them or damaging them in every day use?
I've now been using these E10s for about two months and recommend them unequivocally across a range or music genres. They are clearly very efficient as they operate at half the volume settings of Apple's own.
Examples of performance have included Bill Frisell: Shenandoah (Good Dog, Happy Man album) - an amazing deep resonant base under the guitar but a very balanced range; Jan Gabarek Quintet: Take Off & Land (Neighbourhood) - enables all the players Gabarek, Manu Katche, Marcin Wasilewski, Slavomir Kurkiewicz and Tomasz Stanko to all be sharply and separately defined; Ralph Towner: I knew it was you (Ana) - exploiting the close placement of the to the full in the resonance [and squeaks] of the strings; J.S.Bach: English Suite (Anne-Marie McDermott) - sharply defined piano, spacious, clear and bright and excellent tone.
Treat yourself, you won't regret it whatever music you listen to.
on 25 March 2015
Have been using these for 6 months now, no change in sound quality or volume and the nice little zip up box they come in keeps them free from tangles and knots. Cannot recommend these enough considering the price.