SoundMAGIC PL21 Earphones - Pink
Colour Name: PinkChange
Price:£25.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 30 March 2011
I have had a bit of trouble getting new earphones since my philips she9800 earphones broke after a year and a half. i loved these earphones, and i bought them off amazon for around £25, now they are about £35. I dont want to get into the habit of spending £35 for earphones especially as i am going to uni this year and money will be tight.

So, i decided to look around for new ones. After searching for a while, i bought Sony XB40- extra bass headphones. The description of these headphones said how they are amazing for hip hop/dubstep/dance etc etc. I mainly listen to acoustic rock to heavy metal, but i thought these headphones will still be good for the music i like. When i bought these headphones, my first reaction was WOW that bass is impressive, and it was. however after listening to my music with them i realised how the bass slightly shadowed everything else; and the part of music i enjoy best is vocals. Some people may not have noticed this, or would be bothered by it, but i was; although the bass was amazing nonetheless. luckily, my friend was looking for new headphones to buy, so he bought the sonys off of me, and he listens to dubstep, dance etc and he enjoys the headphones very much so. so i had a lucky escape, and started searching again for new headphones.

i was very close to buying sennheisers, either cx300, or cx400, but i reviews say they are "bass driven"; which after the sonys didnt look appealing to me. but stumbled across soundmagic. looking at all the soundmagic models on the web, the Pl21 seemed the best for me, as the P11 seem too bassy, and i didnt like the "over the ear" style of the Pl30s. after much searching on the google for reviews of these, i decided to buy them. and i am very glad i did.

After first feeling the headphones, they are very light, and my first thought was that if they do not weigh much the sound may not be good. however i was wrong, the sound is brilliant; especially considering the price. The sound definitely matches the philips she9800, if not better, although the philips have a wider soundstage, the soundmagic have more of a warm sound. The bass is brilliant, not overpowering but packs a punch for sure, the mids and highs are brilliant as well. these earphones are definitely well balanced.

They came with silicone and foam buds, i use the silicon ones put you can choose whichever you prefer. they are VERY comfortable, and they stay in my ears as well. THE CABLE IS SYMMETRICAL!! I really do not like asymmetrical cables and trying to find out if a pair of headphones is symmetrical or not is painstackingly boring (have to read the reviews till you find someone that mentions it), unless of course it gives that info in the description, but most earphones dont.

Couldnt recommend these enough, i feel as if they must break after a month or so because of the price, if not then they are a steal. These earphones are the very definition of bang for buck, you wont be disappionted, and thats coming from someone who has used more expensive (so supposedly better quality) earphones for a year and a half. Once you get good earphones, there is not going back to crappy £5 ones. if you buy these as a replacement for the earphones that come with an iPod, then will be even more amazed.

just buy them.
on 13 March 2011
Received them really quickly and couldn't wait to try them out. All heaphones need time to bed in so writing this review after a few months use.

Opened the box and you get a good choice of ear buds. The provided buds should be sufficient for most people to find a good fit as if you don't have the correct ear buds in your ear then you won't get good sound isolation and bass. You get 3 pairs (small, medium & large) of foam type ear buds and 4 pairs of silicone ear buds. I use the foam ear buds as they fit so snugly - just squeeze them between your fingers and then quickly put them down your ear holes and they expand to create a snug fit.

I've had Sennheiser CX300 and Klipsch Image X1 in the last 3 or 4 years and for me these SoundMagic headphones are the best for sound quality. The bass is punchy without being overpowering whilst the treble and midrange produce a rounded and lovely "warmth" which is not in keeping with headphones in this price range - great sound! The sound does change when you use the silicone ear buds so people will have to play around to see what suits them in terms of comfort and sound quality. As an added bonus the SoundMagic headphones have "better" impedance than the Sennheiser and Klipsch - I don't need to have the volume that high to hear the music and so save a bit of battery on my phone! The heaphones are very confortable to wear and absolutely no problems of noticing them after an hour or two.

The build quality is very good and the design is well thought out - the ear phones are angled slightly so they fit into your ear, you get a shirt clip so you can clip it onto your clothes to reduce the pulling of the cable on the headphone unit.

Overall these headphones are fantastic quality for the price as they are well built and most importantly sound great.
on 18 October 2011
These Sound Magic PL-21's are excellent value for money. The clarity of the sound has to be heard to be believed - much better than my Sony's, which up and until now I thought sounded pretty good. Doing a back to back test with them, the PL-21's have a clearer, well balanced sound, with ample depth of bass - not too much, not too little. I also noticed you didn't need to have the volume up so loud to get the same equivalent sound level as the Sony's. After reading other reviews for in-ear phones I'm glad I made the right right choice. I have always been a big Sennheiser fan, but having read they appear to suffer from build quality issues I went for the PL-21's - okay so far. One other thing, as other reviewers have mentioned, play around with the different size ear buds to get the best sound quality for you. Highly recommended.
on 20 September 2014
I previously had the soundmagic e-11 earphones and loved those. They broke after six months but I do tend to abuse my headphones with very heavy use. after looking at many other brands, I decided to stick with soundmagic as their other product was so good for me. These are considerably nicer than the e-11 earphones and that is quite impressive. The highs and mids are the same but the pll21s have a much deeper bass response, resulting is my music sounding about as full as in ear monitors will ever manage. I havent measured them but in comparison with my hifi speakers, I would say that these earphones go down to around 30 hz before you get any rolloff. With dsp on my phone, I can boost the <30hz region a few db and they sound simply amazing. The deepest wobbles of my dubstep (dubby deep dubstep) are very penetrating.
Imagine the effect of adding a very expensive subwoofer to a pair of very expensive bookshelf speakers. That is the kind of effect swapping the e-11s for the pl21s has.
Admittedly without a little dsp the sub bass is less mindblowing but it's still there and for non bass orientated music is about right.
I turn off my dsp for listening to things such as Opeth and A7X, dsp on for the likes of trolley snatcha and culprate.

Overall, these provide me with a completely satifying musical experience when faced with even very demanding styles. I would definitely reccomend these, as well as the brand in general. Also have a look at the more expensive soundmagics; my budget couldn't stretch to them but they are likely to be just as good, if not better.

I'm in love.
on 30 April 2011
I bought the Soundmagic PL21s to update my Sennheiser CX300s. Given the rave reviews the former have so far received on Amazon I was expecting to notice an improvement in sound quality, even though both headphones are in a similar price bracket.

What I've found is that there is no noticeable improvement in sound quality in the PL21s overall, but there are some key positive differences. 1) The sound is louder so you don't have to have the volume all the way up; 2) There is virtually no leakage whatsoever and you can't hear the sounds of your own body during silences as you can with the CX300s; 3) The cable is symmetrical and comes with a clip, meaning that I haven't accidentally ripped the earphones out of my ears yet.

On the downside, the earpiece itself is quite long and angular (the CX300s have a smaller and more rounded earpiece) and I've found these uncomfortable to handle, and have not been overly keen on how much they protrude from my ear. However they are comfortable enough when listening to music.

All things considered these earphones are certainly a good piece of kit and you'll appreciate the difference in sound quality infinitely if upgrading from a standard earphone provided with your MP3 player. However I struggle to justify an argument that says these are the best quality IEMs in this price bracket and believe you'd get a similar experience with a pair of Sennheiser earphones. My advice would be to buy whatever is cheapest at the time.

Edit: Had to return these less than 6 months into their life as one of the ear pieces stopped working.I didn't bother getting a second pair to replace them, which tells all really. Sennheisers lasted 5 years, SoundMagic 5 months.
on 21 December 2011
Within the course of about 4 months I'd gone through 3 sets of cheap earphones (£5-£10). I ordered these in May and they lasted all the way to December, which is really good considering how much I used them. I had them in everytime I go running, they were often dropped/squashed (my bad) and I was using them at least about 5 hours a day and I found the sound quality to be very good, with high bass songs simply sounding amazing.

If I'd taken better care with them I'm sure they would have lasted longer. Around Novemeber the head of one of the earphones came loose so I just stuck some cellotape around it to hold it into place and it still worked fine for a while, until eventually it stopped working altogether.

I'd highly recommend these for the price - they last a fair bit of time and have very high sound quality. With these earphones I'd say the length they last is more down to your usage than the build quality.
on 29 June 2011
These are excellent headphones. I've spent years listening to different Sennheisers and was somewhat scptical when I saw a review for PL16 on a Russian HiFi web site. I googled the earphones and came across the P21 model on Amazon and I am absolutely happy abuot my choice.

What needs to be said about the headphones is the overall clarity of the sound they produce. I don't think you will get any-close to this at the price bracket. You can just hear all those instruments right! Excellent for vocal! The base is not too intrusive, if you are a big fan of drum and bass you might wanna look elsewhere but they do produce deep clean bass, I don't think you get deeper bass without distortions at this price.

The headphones will take a few hours to really warm up and work into their characteristics so don't dispair if you find their sound tinny out of the box - plug them in and let play for a day.
on 18 April 2012
These headphones are inexpensive solutions for a the budget conscious audiophile and are great for everyday use.

I like that the headphones can provide a great seal against external noise and can act as a physical means of noise isolation. This really helps make the sound that is transmitted a lot clearer as opposed to normal earbuds.

The frequency response is not amazing and the bass and high can be lacking at times but overall for the price, this is a great product I am happy to take around everywhere with me.

The product comes with three different sized sleeves to ensure a good fit. I have been using them for over a year and they haven't given me any trouble at all.

Overall, these headphones are good value for money based on sound quality and durability.
on 6 May 2011
As the title implies,fantastic.
was a little skeptical,but in this case,cheap doesn't mean crap.Awesome set of in ear headphones,produces good quality sound,good all around bass,treble and mid's (i listen to a broad range of rock from "Brand new" to "Guns n' Roses" to Trivium to slipknot,so think I'm putting them through the paces a little) that you would expect from a more expensive pair.

Comes with a little faux leather bag,different size ear buds (2 pairs of large,1 pair of small and 1 pair of medium) to use as your preference suits,and a little clip to attach to clothing if you want to exercise or just don't want the cable flapping about.

What i also like is the input jack is at a 90 degree angle,so its comfortable to have them attached to a device (psp go! in my case) and not having the worry of the jack snapping or coming out of the device.
Very happy i got these,if your pondering whether to get these or not,just buy them,you wont regret it.
on 3 April 2011
I have tried several ear phones within a similar price range, and i must say, these are the best ones so far.
I've tried earphones from kicker, sony and senheisser cx-300 II and these earphones outperform all of these.

There is almost no sound leakage, so if your on public transport, the person next to you won't hear any of your embarrassing music. lol. but this also means, that more music goes into your ears, so you don't have to turn the volume up as much and you can hear lots of detail.
The bass is punchy. Very Punchy. furthermore, with such decent levels of bass, im surprised to find it doesn't effect the trebles, so the vocals in songs won't be brought down.

In order to get the best sound, you really have to make sure you place the right size ear buds on other wise you won't get a tight fit and you will loose a lot of sound.

The best thing about these is the level of detail you will here and how rich the sound is.