5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect
I have had a bit of trouble getting new earphones since my philips she9800 earphones broke after a year and a half. i loved these earphones, and i bought them off amazon for around 25, now they are about 35. I dont want to get into the habit of spending 35 for earphones especially as i am going to uni this year and money will be tight.

So, i decided to look...
Published on 30 Mar 2011 by Jheaff

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but not much different to other brands
I bought the Soundmagic PL21s to update my Sennheiser CX300s. Given the rave reviews the former have so far received on Amazon I was expecting to notice an improvement in sound quality, even though both headphones are in a similar price bracket.

Published on 30 April 2011 by Bru-C

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 30 Mar 2011

So, i decided to look around for new ones. After searching for a while, i bought Sony XB40- extra bass headphones. The description of these headphones said how they are amazing for hip hop/dubstep/dance etc etc. I mainly listen to acoustic rock to heavy metal, but i thought these headphones will still be good for the music i like. When i bought these headphones, my first reaction was WOW that bass is impressive, and it was. however after listening to my music with them i realised how the bass slightly shadowed everything else; and the part of music i enjoy best is vocals. Some people may not have noticed this, or would be bothered by it, but i was; although the bass was amazing nonetheless. luckily, my friend was looking for new headphones to buy, so he bought the sonys off of me, and he listens to dubstep, dance etc and he enjoys the headphones very much so. so i had a lucky escape, and started searching again for new headphones.

i was very close to buying sennheisers, either cx300, or cx400, but i reviews say they are "bass driven"; which after the sonys didnt look appealing to me. but stumbled across soundmagic. looking at all the soundmagic models on the web, the Pl21 seemed the best for me, as the P11 seem too bassy, and i didnt like the "over the ear" style of the Pl30s. after much searching on the google for reviews of these, i decided to buy them. and i am very glad i did.

After first feeling the headphones, they are very light, and my first thought was that if they do not weigh much the sound may not be good. however i was wrong, the sound is brilliant; especially considering the price. The sound definitely matches the philips she9800, if not better, although the philips have a wider soundstage, the soundmagic have more of a warm sound. The bass is brilliant, not overpowering but packs a punch for sure, the mids and highs are brilliant as well. these earphones are definitely well balanced.

They came with silicone and foam buds, i use the silicon ones put you can choose whichever you prefer. they are VERY comfortable, and they stay in my ears as well. THE CABLE IS SYMMETRICAL!! I really do not like asymmetrical cables and trying to find out if a pair of headphones is symmetrical or not is painstackingly boring (have to read the reviews till you find someone that mentions it), unless of course it gives that info in the description, but most earphones dont.

Couldnt recommend these enough, i feel as if they must break after a month or so because of the price, if not then they are a steal. These earphones are the very definition of bang for buck, you wont be disappionted, and thats coming from someone who has used more expensive (so supposedly better quality) earphones for a year and a half. Once you get good earphones, there is not going back to crappy 5 ones. if you buy these as a replacement for the earphones that come with an iPod, then will be even more amazed.

just buy them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great set of headphones!!, 13 Mar 2011
Received them really quickly and couldn't wait to try them out. All heaphones need time to bed in so writing this review after a few months use.

Opened the box and you get a good choice of ear buds. The provided buds should be sufficient for most people to find a good fit as if you don't have the correct ear buds in your ear then you won't get good sound isolation and bass. You get 3 pairs (small, medium & large) of foam type ear buds and 4 pairs of silicone ear buds. I use the foam ear buds as they fit so snugly - just squeeze them between your fingers and then quickly put them down your ear holes and they expand to create a snug fit.

I've had Sennheiser CX300 and Klipsch Image X1 in the last 3 or 4 years and for me these SoundMagic headphones are the best for sound quality. The bass is punchy without being overpowering whilst the treble and midrange produce a rounded and lovely "warmth" which is not in keeping with headphones in this price range - great sound! The sound does change when you use the silicone ear buds so people will have to play around to see what suits them in terms of comfort and sound quality. As an added bonus the SoundMagic headphones have "better" impedance than the Sennheiser and Klipsch - I don't need to have the volume that high to hear the music and so save a bit of battery on my phone! The heaphones are very confortable to wear and absolutely no problems of noticing them after an hour or two.

The build quality is very good and the design is well thought out - the ear phones are angled slightly so they fit into your ear, you get a shirt clip so you can clip it onto your clothes to reduce the pulling of the cable on the headphone unit.

Overall these headphones are fantastic quality for the price as they are well built and most importantly sound great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, great price, 1 Jan 2013
I was sceptical when I read someone say they heard instruments in the music that they never had before - but its true! A big step up from the 10 to 20 headphones that you can buy in Sainsburys!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - hear what you've been missing..., 18 Oct 2011
I. Paetow (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
These Sound Magic PL-21's are excellent value for money. The clarity of the sound has to be heard to be believed - much better than my Sony's, which up and until now I thought sounded pretty good. Doing a back to back test with them, the PL-21's have a clearer, well balanced sound, with ample depth of bass - not too much, not too little. I also noticed you didn't need to have the volume up so loud to get the same equivalent sound level as the Sony's. After reading other reviews for in-ear phones I'm glad I made the right right choice. I have always been a big Sennheiser fan, but having read they appear to suffer from build quality issues I went for the PL-21's - okay so far. One other thing, as other reviewers have mentioned, play around with the different size ear buds to get the best sound quality for you. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but not much different to other brands, 30 April 2011

What I've found is that there is no noticeable improvement in sound quality in the PL21s overall, but there are some key positive differences. 1) The sound is louder so you don't have to have the volume all the way up; 2) There is virtually no leakage whatsoever and you can't hear the sounds of your own body during silences as you can with the CX300s; 3) The cable is symmetrical and comes with a clip, meaning that I haven't accidentally ripped the earphones out of my ears yet.

On the downside, the earpiece itself is quite long and angular (the CX300s have a smaller and more rounded earpiece) and I've found these uncomfortable to handle, and have not been overly keen on how much they protrude from my ear. However they are comfortable enough when listening to music.

All things considered these earphones are certainly a good piece of kit and you'll appreciate the difference in sound quality infinitely if upgrading from a standard earphone provided with your MP3 player. However I struggle to justify an argument that says these are the best quality IEMs in this price bracket and believe you'd get a similar experience with a pair of Sennheiser earphones. My advice would be to buy whatever is cheapest at the time.

Edit: Had to return these less than 6 months into their life as one of the ear pieces stopped working.I didn't bother getting a second pair to replace them, which tells all really. Sennheisers lasted 5 years, SoundMagic 5 months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set of headphones for the money., 6 May 2011
Scott Adams (UK) - See all my reviews
As the title implies,fantastic.
was a little skeptical,but in this case,cheap doesn't mean crap.Awesome set of in ear headphones,produces good quality sound,good all around bass,treble and mid's (i listen to a broad range of rock from "Brand new" to "Guns n' Roses" to Trivium to slipknot,so think I'm putting them through the paces a little) that you would expect from a more expensive pair.

Comes with a little faux leather bag,different size ear buds (2 pairs of large,1 pair of small and 1 pair of medium) to use as your preference suits,and a little clip to attach to clothing if you want to exercise or just don't want the cable flapping about.

What i also like is the input jack is at a 90 degree angle,so its comfortable to have them attached to a device (psp go! in my case) and not having the worry of the jack snapping or coming out of the device.
Very happy i got these,if your pondering whether to get these or not,just buy them,you wont regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best for it's price range!, 3 April 2011
I have tried several ear phones within a similar price range, and i must say, these are the best ones so far.
I've tried earphones from kicker, sony and senheisser cx-300 II and these earphones outperform all of these.

There is almost no sound leakage, so if your on public transport, the person next to you won't hear any of your embarrassing music. lol. but this also means, that more music goes into your ears, so you don't have to turn the volume up as much and you can hear lots of detail.
The bass is punchy. Very Punchy. furthermore, with such decent levels of bass, im surprised to find it doesn't effect the trebles, so the vocals in songs won't be brought down.

In order to get the best sound, you really have to make sure you place the right size ear buds on other wise you won't get a tight fit and you will loose a lot of sound.

The best thing about these is the level of detail you will here and how rich the sound is.

1.0 out of 5 stars poor quality, 3 July 2013
Eugene Doherty "bargain hunter" (northern ireland) - See all my reviews
I was not very impressed that having only used these head phones only three times, I noticed that the left ear piece casing was starting to come away.so I glued it back together because I could not be bothered with the hassle of returning them back to the sender. now the right ear piece casing is starting to split. I would not recommend these headphones to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 29 Mar 2013
I had a set if PL11s I think, but the wire broke. I made do with some Sony's for a while but they were crap really. They bled allot so people near me could hear my music. These PL21s have no bleed, even with the volume up full the person next to me here's nothing.

They are comfy too. You can see in the pic but they are slightly angled so you can see which is left and right instantly without look befor the little letters.

Sound quality is awesome too. I'm a music producer and a video editor and I use these all the time. Can't rate them high enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really impressive for the price, 17 Oct 2012
These in-ear headphones are really good, for the price you pay it gives you very good sound quality. The treble is clear and the bass is strong without being overpowering. I used these on the London Underground and other train journey's to travel to work and the in-ear canal is very good at isolating noise, when you have music playing even at a low level it completely wipes out all outside noise.

SoundMAGIC PL21 Earphones - Pink