5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money...
Published on 20 Aug. 2012 by N. A. Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound Magic E30 Earphones.
Good quality sound -nice fit into ear canal, plenty of alternative adapters to accomodate a good comfortable seal, very light weight cable - not sure how durable, robust the cable and connections will be in the long term.
Published on 14 Jan. 2013 by Jim Bradford

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money..., 20 Aug. 2012
N. A. Smith - See all my reviews
I spent some time researching earbuds before buying the SoundMagic E30's as I was looking for something that had good sound for a reasonable price, that worked well with audio on an HTC One X mobile phone. I have a number of different sets of headphones for use with different mobile audio devices that I have, and these include Klipsch S4's, Atomic Floyd HiDefJax and Shure E210's. For me, I find that one set of headphones does not suit all audio devices.

My musical tastes run from classical right through pop, rock, metal and dance and trying to find headphones that suit all genres, and that sound equally well on all devices, is near impossible. My Klipsch S4's are the best all-rounders that I have, but they are not a good match for my HTC phone, sounding somewhat muddy. I typically listen to portable audio in either high bitrate (320k) MP3's or FLAC.

So, on to the review...

Pack contents:

Comes in minimal packaging, no fancy boxes or cases here, but then what are you interested in,the product itself or its box ?
There is a small, faux leather, drawstring pouch for keeping the headphones and their accessories in. The accessories comprise two over the ear hooks, and 2 different styles of silicone eartips, each style coming in S/M/L sizes, so plenty of choice to find something comfortable to wear. There are no adaptors or anything else provided.

Those people looking for foam eartips in the box, should look elsewhere. As an aside, the Comply foam tips from the following ranges will fit these earbuds - S400/T400/TS400/TX400. Silicon replacement eartips can be found from Monster tips - you will probably need to buy one of their sample packs initially, to find replacement silicon tips that suit you.

Build quality:

Cable length is 1.2m which should be adequate for most people. The cable is not particularly thick and I don't know as yet how durable it will be - so far it is fine, and it doesn't tangle or coil too much.I have other headphones that coil and tangle far more. The two ear clips provided, are quite a firm silicon and are moulded into a particular shape that may or may not fit round the back of your ear comfortably. The various silicon eartips provided are soft and pliable and most people should find a set that suit their ear canals. The actual headphones are a solid plastic, with some chrome effect highlights on them and one has a red end to the cable and one a blue end, so you can determine left and right ears easily. There is a solid, plastic crocodile clip attached to the cable that allows you to clip the headphone cable to a shirt and the cable itself ends in a metal 3.5mm jack with a gold plated tip, this appears to be of good quality.

Comfort:

These headphones, it should be noted, are designed to be worn up and over the ear, and the headphone moulding is such that wearing them any other way will be uncomfortable. Personally, I find the ear clips that are supposed to route the cable up and over your ears to be both uncomfortable and unnecessary. I just put the headphones in with the cables facing upwards and then route the cable round the back of my ear. If you are intending to use these headphones when exercising, you may find the ear clips useful however.
The silicon eartips provided should cater for most shapes and sizes of ear canals and I found the ones that worked best for me were the longer double-flanged ones. The objective here of course is to find an eartip that fits in your ear canal fairly tightly to provide isolation from outside noise and yet still be comfortable. Too loose and you won't get a proper sound out of the headphones, and too tight and you will suffer discomfort when using them for extended periods - spend some time trying the different sized eartips. Of interest to some people (joggers and gym nuts) will be what is often described as "microphonics" - this is where the headphone cable rubs against your clothing while exercising and transmits noise to the headphones - I have found these headphones to be reasonable in this regard, given that they have a rubber coated cable rather than a braided cable. The headphones, once you have found an eartip that suits you for size and comfort, are very lightweight and can be worn for hours on end without any discomfort, indeed I barely notice they are in my ears.

Sound Quality:

At this price, truly outstanding. They have an open, airy sound, with instruments well separated and defined, and good mid-range and treble response. Bass on these headphones for me, sometimes needs increasing, depending on what I am listening to, but generally speaking, with a decent quality sound source, you can leave the equaliser well alone and these headphones will deliver a wide range of different musical styles with a depth and definition that defies their price. I cannot think of any other headphones in this price range that would come close to the E30's.
These headphones in fact work well across all my audio devices except my iPod - even there, they sound good, but I just prefer the sound from my Klipsch S4's with that device (which are £30 more expensive than these E30's and are not £30 better sounding than them). For those of you that are looking for very good audio quality at a keen price, I genuinely think that in this price range, you can't do any better than the E30's. If you are replacing the stock headphones that came with your phone or MP3 player, with these headphones, then you will be blown away by the sound difference.

Summary:

Very good quality headphones at a very keen price. Easily the best sound available in their price range and comparable with the sound of headphones at twice their price. Build quality is fine, and SoundMagic are an OEM manufacturer for better known brands of high quality headphones. What you are getting here is a relatively unknown retail brand, giving excellent sound quality at a good price and you are not paying for a brand name. So, the positives the negatives then...

[+] Excellent sound quality
[+] Decent build quality
[+] Wide selection of eartips in the box
[+] A massive improvement over 'stock' headphones
[+] Very keenly priced. Easily a match for headphones costing twice this price.

[-] No foam eartips in the box, some people prefer these
[-] Relatively unknown brand name that may put off the people that value a well known brand name
[-] Replacement ear tips not available from SoundMagic, you will need to go to Comply or Monster for aftermarket foam or silicon tips

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent budget headphones, 24 May 2012
S. Page "SJP" (UK) - See all my reviews
Headphones are definitely a consumable item to me (and no that doesn't mean I eat them!) - they go everywhere with me, are regularly bashed about, subject to rain, wind, dust, dropped, lost etc. My last headphones were Sennheiser CX 300 II - they were good but made far too much movement noise & fell apart pretty quickly. So, back to the Soundmagics:

Sound - for the price, very good! The better fitting buds have a very good bass response, I found the worse fitting buds had an incredibly muddy sound.

Fit - There's an excellent range of ear buds, allowing you to choose your noise cancellation levels & preferred fit. There's also some handy ear-hook attachments which I guess could be useful. Oh, and there's a clip so you can clip the cable to your clothes.

Quality - They feel very good quality for the price. They don't rattle or feel weak at all. The metal jack feels a lot more sturdy than my sennheiser headphones.

Cons - I prefer headphones with asymmetric cables so that you can run the cable behind your head... not an issue worth crying over though.

Long story short: perfect budget headphones. If you're an audio snob, spend more money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jon - Sound Engineer & Audiophile - E30 review, 2 April 2012
I dont normally write reviews but this product deserves some words.
I bought these buds mainly because I wanted some sound isolating phones for a long flight which would sit flat in the ear... so I could keep them in and sleep! I was surprised at how good they sound especially for the price. The sound itself is remarkably full, the only downside being a little too muddy, warm at the mid-low end. I think they went to some lengths to ensure these tiny buds had some bass...which they succeeded at. the separation is good and with a very pleasing level of detail. they are in essence a warm comfortable reliable pair of buds.
You do need to have them in the right position in your ear. You can see here the correct position: [...]
I have many $500+ headphones / buds and despite the ridiculously low price for the quality these are one of my favourites now and will definatly be used for travelling although perhaps not for more serious audiophile listening.
Highly recommended if they are your first introduction to higher quality earphones.
(It should be noted that there isn't much scope for any position other than up and behind the ears due to the shape of the earbuds themselves)

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional clarity, 30 May 2012
I've eventually found a set of earphones that I can get on with - SoundMagic E30.

I mostly listen to classical, symphonic metal and folk. Around the house I use a pair of high-end full-sized open-back Sennheiser HD598 headphones. Consequently, any pair of earphones for use out of the house has quite a challenge to satisfy me. The E30s do a very good job.

They have a neutral sounding frequency response. That won't please bass fans but does give them exceptional clarity. They don't quite have the clarity of my Senns, but they come close - closer than I would have expected, closer than my Sennheiser P100 travel headphones, and a lot closer than any other earphones I've heard. They may be just a little bright at the high end for my taste, but nothing that a small adjustment of the equaliser on my Cowon J3 MP3 player can't deal with. The low end is extended but not emphasised - no adjustement needed for my taste.

I still have a problem with hearing my breathing (and sometimes my pulse) but that would be the case with anything that shuts off my ear canal. However, the E30s pretty much eliminate the other problems I have with earphones. They are comfortable, they stay in, and I don't have to juggle with the positioning of them to get a consistent sound. Much of this is due to the bit that sticks into the ear canal being angled so that they only fit properly in one position (and that's a natural position once you've figured it out). In that position the lead comes out of the earpiece pointing somewhere between forward and upwards (as if aimed a little higher than my temples). That's just right for me to take the cable over the back of my ear and that means that any cable tug gets taken on my ear rather than the earpiece. With a choice of seven pairs of silicone tips in different shapes and sizes, finding one that's confortable and fits well was easy (if somewhat bemusing initially).

There are some other accessories that come with the E30s. You don't have to use them, but they may make life a little easier for you. There's a gizmo that allows you to coil up some of the cable on one side so that the cable hangs to your left or right, and a clip for fastening the cable to your clothing to further reduce the effect of tugging. There's also a pair of semi-rigid ear hooks which the cable can be threaded through, but I don't get on with those. Finally, there's a neat little pouch.

One last word - the red earpiece goes in the right ear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch, 9 Oct. 2012
I have seen these reviewed in Stuff/T3 and my mate has a pair so I thought I couldn't go wrong and I was right:).

I had a previous pair of soundmagics a while ago and accidentally bought a different but cheaper model. The point here is that the more expensive Soundmagic range do not get as good feedback as the E30's either. Anyway for the cheaper model (E11 I think) you don't get much earbud choices and comply foam tips aren't supported which was a post purchase issue for me when eartips are as important as the quality of the earphone sound when running and not wanting them to fall out of your ears.

So not only was I blown away with the sound from these despite good reviews but you get good suppplied eartips so the point is I didn't need any extra (foam tips) to go with these - even though I bought them at the same time anyway!

My advice - buy them, I can't tell much different between these a pair of SURE's I had a while ago.

UPDATE: Can they get any better than the gushing review above? Yes! Accidentally left them in jacket which was put in washing machine and then tumble dried and they still work perfectly - how many products do that?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set of buds., 11 Sept. 2014
Stephen Crane (Doncaster) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SoundMAGIC E30 Earphones - Blue (Electronics)
I'm by far not the biggest audiophile around but I am sensible and look around before making a purchase. After reading some other reviews here I purchased these earphones and I'm glad I did.

Comfort is great, the earphones wrap around your ear and sit comfortably without one popping out every so often. The clip is an added bonus too.

Again I reiterate the point that I'm not the biggest audiophile but I feel these earphones are the best I've used to listen to music. There's hardly any background noise with them in and I start to feel immersed in the song I'm listening too more often than not.

The only thing I had to overcome was the confusion of which was left and which was right! But a quick web search told me all I needed to know.

I'd recommend these earphones if you're wanting a decent pair without forking out too much dosh, as these are well worth the money spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really, REALLY good., 18 Mar. 2012
Excellent product.
I got sick of headphones coming out while running so I invested in a pair of seinnheiser's, which had great sound quality and stayed in really well. However, the durability was poor and despite good care they broke within 5mo. Luckily, this is absolutely not the case with the SoundMAGIC E30s. Though the sound quality is similar to the seinnheisers (and maybe a bit better), the durability is far better and, owing to the munltiple in-ear tips of varying sizes, they fit much better too. I do a lot of marathon running and they have yet to fall out or cause me any discomfort. The noise-cancelling is fantastic though, admitedly, dangerous for road-running but for use in the gym or up the hills etc they're just plain awesome. Yeah they're a wee bit pricey but I definitely think they're worth it and would thoroughly recommend them if you're looking for good running headphones or even just some decent headphones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes such a difference, 10 Nov. 2011
I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination and have soldiered on with standard IPOD headphones for years. I do, however, love my music and decided I needed better quality sounds from my Ipod without spending a fortune. I am extremely impressed with these headphones. The sound is 10x better than I had before and the headphones are more comfortable aswell. I am sure there are better options out there but for the price the improvement in my listening pleasure is amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Redefines expectations at this price, 9 Oct. 2014
Excellent earphones at this price point. Well made, secure fitting (with or without supplied ear hooks) and supremely comfortable (I use them mainly in the gym). They also come with an attractive and useful carry case, which keeps them protected in the bottom of my gym kit bag.

Sound quality is outstanding - by far the best I have had at anywhere near this price, particularly in the crucial vocal mid-range (I have a pair of Shure earphones that cost £300 that are better, of course, but not by as much as you might expect). If you have never heard what a high-end pair can do, then these will give you a very good idea at a tiny fraction of the cost. In fact, if these were the first I had tried, I would probably have saved myself a lot of money!

Durability is not something I can comment on yet, but they look well made and I see no reason why they shouldn't hold up well, although careful handling will no doubt make a big difference. I find that sweat damage is often the reason why my gym headphones fail, so I now leave them to air dry for a few hours before putting them back in the carry case.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound Magic E30 Earphones., 14 Jan. 2013