1 Review

3.0 out of 5 stars o jonkers says, 21 Dec 2011
Mrs. E. A. Ruiterman "o jonkers" (glenbrook new zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tchaikovsky: Symphonies Nos. 4, 5 And 6 (Gergiev) [Blu-ray] [2011] (Blu-ray)
I bought this disc assuming it would be in the new Maryinsky concert hall. I have been in the Salle Pleyel on 3 occasioins prior to 2000 and was neutral re the acoustics of the hall. The revamp of the hall about 2005 was reputed to improve the acoustics but on the evidence of this disc I find this difficult to believe. The 2001? dvd of Berlioz with Tabea Zimmermann also has good acoustics though what must be the worst camera work and editing I have ever had the misfortune to be subjected to. The camera work and editing in the Gergiev disc also leaves much to be desired. One must be careful of "effects" ie. when the image of Gergiev is freeze framed while the music sails on. Most off putting and done more than once. Also recently I have bought 3 discs where all of a sudden most of the lower register instruments are on the left of centre. In one, the double bass, cellos and even the tuba are far left. I thought someone had reversed my L and R speaker leads and had a horrible thought the bass players would have to play left handed. I guess you would get used to it. However the interpretation of Gergiev and the playing could not be faulted so 3 stars.

ARRAY(0xac47d510)