5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!!
Published on 22 Aug 2011 by HOLLY

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, just nice
Bought this off the back of the television series Popstar To Opera Star - Joe McElderry has a lovely voice and has a beautiful tone. He sings with passion and care - some of the tracks were not for me, but in all this is a CD you can listen to in those mellow moments. I also bought a copy of the same CD as a gift and this was very well received. Joe is a talented young...
Published on 27 Sep 2011 by monzafreak

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!!, 22 Aug 2011
This review is from: Classic (Audio CD)
This is Joe at his very best!! FANTASTIC album!!He has worked very hard in the past year and it shows!! These are the type of songs Joe needs to sing.He is NOT a pop singer but an easy listening/classic singer.Thank goodness someone had the sense to save this singer by changing his style of music.Simon Cowells loss!!He is a singer who has not yet reached his full potential because of his age but i see a great future for him if he sticks to this type of music."Over the rainbow" Joe gave a more updated version and he has pulled it off!! BEAUTIFULL!!his voice is superb on all tracks and the high notes just gives goosebumps!! This is a singer who if you like Josh Groban you will love Joe!!BUY this album and you will not be dissapointed!! If you read this Joe how about "YOU RAISE ME UP" i think you could make it your own as you have a voice which is superb for this song!! Well done Joe and all good wishes for your future success!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic & fantastic, 22 Sep 2011
Sandy Pandy (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Classic (Audio CD)
The Voice!!!!!! that's all!!!!!
that is better than what we expect from a singing competition winner. so from a double singing competition winner? that is the perfect result! It's chilling, it's emotional, it's heartwarming!
what a voice! what a kind and friendly man!
I actually cannot wait for the next album already!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning album, showcasing Joe's beautiful voice, 22 Aug 2011
Michelle (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Classic (Audio CD)
Much as I loved Joe's debut album (and still do) for its fun, upbeat feel, this second album is far superior because it truly showcases his best asset ... his gorgeous voice. The production is phenomenal: duet with the talented Milos Karadaglic and wonderful orchestral accompaniment for the rest of the songs. Well done Universal & Decca! And well done to Joe too! From the obvious care and attention lavished on this album, it's hard to believe that all the tracks for this exquisite album were recorded in just 6 days! That's the difference having a great team behind Joe (who evidently know what they're doing) can make.

There is not one weak track on this album. Joe puts his own unique stamp on these timeless classics - and I know I'll be playing this even more often than Wide Awake. My current favourite track is 'To Where You Are' - that had me in tears the first time I heard it and still gives me goosebumps now, several plays later. I'm a bit torn as I really want him to sing this on his tour in November - but I don't want to show myself up by blubbing either (and I know I will - Joe always sounds even better live)! I also love the fresh-sounding, upbeat, calypso style 'Over The Rainbow' - it was a great decision to go with that arrangement.

Definitely an album for discerning listeners who appreciate beautiful vocals. If you love Joe's voice, this album has to be part of your collection.

It's also an album that Joe himself should be very, very proud of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pop Star becomes Opera Star, 19 Sep 2011
This review is from: Classic (Audio CD)
Although I am supposedly at the end of middle-age I voted for Joe throughout X Factor & Popstar to Opera Star feeling he has much talent to share. This is the first album of his that I have bought & I am not disappointed.
It is an ecclectic mix of well known musical pieces to which I think he brings an original & fresh interpretation. It makes wonderful listening in the car - and no-one knows that you're singing along!!
Fabulous Joe - let's have an encore!

5.0 out of 5 stars Joe McElderry Classic CD, 22 Sep 2011
This review is from: Classic (Audio CD)
At last a CD that shows Joe's magnificent voice. I feel that he has finally found his niche and hope that he goes on to even greater things. Well done Joe!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE RISE AND RISE OF A SANDANCER., 23 Aug 2011
This review is from: Classic (Audio CD)
When you have been a fan of the boy from South Shields ever since the day he walked out onto a stage in a Manchester theatre in 2009 for his X Factor audition, it is very hard to be objective about his album output. 'Wide Awake' was in my opinion one of the most exciting albums to come from any winner of the X Factor competition. Since then a great deal of water has passed under the bridge in Joe's life and career. He is no longer a protege of Simon Cowell and has moved on with his career. He has recently won Popstar to Operastar with a mind numbing 77% of the public vote and was described by one of the greatest tenor voices in World, Rolando Villazon, his mentor on the show, as a potentially great opera singer. Always assuming that he was prepared to enter an opera conservatory for three years or more to dedicate himself exclusively to that artform. Probably one of the most significant events in his relatively short career has been to sign to the Decca Record label, part of the giant Universal group. This collaboration has changed everything for Joe. Decca recognize that Joe is no longer just another pop singer chasing the dragon of pop chart success. He is much, much more than that, he is a truly great vocalist with the ability to sing in a number of different genres. This latest album is the distillation of all the various elements of that diverse talent. It blends the charms of well known standard songs together with more than a passing referance to his newly aquired prowess as an operatic singer. There is little point in analysing this album, it is what it is, a stunning tribute to the vocal beauty and awesome skill of this 20 year old. He is due back in the recording studio next January and I would not mind betting that his next album will be even more spectacular than 'Classic'. Cheryl Cole once said of Joe after he sang an iconic 'Queen' song on the X Factor show in 2009, "The people at home can hear, they've all got ears. That was absolutely fantastic from start to end". If you go out and buy this album and add it to your collection you will never regret doing so, from start to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't stop playing it!, 24 Sep 2011
This review is from: Classic (MP3 Download)
I just play this because it makes me feel so good inside regardless of my moods. A real deep sense of clarity and pleasure is achieved. An enriching voice which has the potential to go very far when he reaches full maturity. I cannot wait to see where this lad heads because with a voice like that he will have many more surprises up his sleeve I'm sure! I am collecting his albums and many more in the future that is for sure. I just hope he is nurtured by the right team who believe in him and allow him to shine even more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most impressive, 22 Aug 2011
Ms. C. M. Triance "carry" (Cotswolds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Classic (Audio CD)
I ordered 'Classic' mainly as a way to show my disgust with Syco for dropping Joe, the 2009 X Factor winner, after such a short time. The fact that he was then still only 19 makes their treatment of him even worse and is a potent argument against allowing the show to include even younger teenagers.

I always thought that Joe had a good voice and a winning personality, but even I was surprised by how good he was on 'Pop Star to Opera Star', and his version of 'Nessun Dorma' is very moving somehow. I have been learning Italian for many years and his ability to sing so clearly and expressively in the language on all the Italian tracks on this album is very impressive.

To be honest, I was sorry when I first saw the track list that there were several very well-known but 'over-sung' songs there: for example, I thought that including 'I Dreamed a Dream' might be a mistake. Now that I have the album, I could still do without the odd song choice ['Solitaire' perhaps, though Joe does sing it well!], but his performance of 'I Dreamed a Dream' is in fact very powerful indeed. It is hard to credit that he recorded the whole album in only 7 days and yet achieved such a high standard of performance. The production is also very high quality and apart from occasional use of a choir [for example, in 'Nessun Dorma'] there are no backing vocals to distract attention from Joe's lovely voice, along with the orchestra and individual musicians, such as classical guitarist Milos.

Joe has a beautiful natural tone to his voice and his weeks of vocal training to tackle operatic arias for the programme have, I feel, given him more depth and power. He obviously has the ability to sing a wide range of musical genres and I look forward with interest to seeing where he will go from here: the West End perhaps?

5.0 out of 5 stars What a treat!, 23 Aug 2011
This review is from: Classic (Audio CD)
This album is amazing! Joe's pure, beautiful voice soars through each song, conveying so much emotion and passion, I defy anyone to listen to this and not feel moved. And Joe's voice is so clear he might as well be in the room with you! My favourites are the very laid-back, unexpectedly pared-down version of Over the Rainbow, Dance with my Father (Joe's audition for X-Factor), the heartfelt Solitaire and the very moving To Where you Are. Also some of the operatic arias Joe sang on Popstar to Operastar such as Canta della Terra (the duet he sang with Cheryl Baker)and Nessun Dorma. Having heard the album, have now ordered another 3 copies to give to friends and family. Though darn it, Amazon had sold out of this album today for a short time- a first in my experience but now sorted, I believe. Basically, anyone who appreciates good music and an incredible voice will love this album. They'll be thanking you for years to come!

5.0 out of 5 stars Joe McElderry classic album, 23 Aug 2011
This review is from: Classic (Audio CD)
This superb album of Joe McElderry is out of this world and his voice is mindblowingly Beautiful and sung with note and word perfection what a fantastic singer his special voice masters all the highest registers and is a delight to listen to so I recommend anyone young or older to purchase this album.

Classic