on 29 September 2011
Book arrived today, two days earlier than expected. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and although I am getting a bit too old for Darren Shan, I still think his books are awesome and will continue to read all of the books he publishes. I won't reveal any spoilers about the book, but I recommend it to anyone who likes Darren Shan and has read the previous two.
on 9 October 2011
This book three of the Larten Crepsley series is amazing, very jaw dropping and leaves chills running down your spine. It is the best series of the lot since the saga of Darren Shan. Don't miss out this series of Larten Crepsley bescause it makes you hungery of more! I can't wait for next book in April.
on 24 March 2013
Darren Shan has always been and will be a brilliant author for teenage books; and this is a great continuation of the saga of Larten Creplsey and i would recommend reading this series before the saga of Darren Shan as it is a prequel.
on 14 November 2011
I started reading Darren Shan's books quite late, I was about 17/18 and got them from the kids section in the library and I'm so glad I did! I absolutely love all of his books I've read, and this is the first series I'm reading as and when the books come out.

I'm 20 now and still love them, and this series has not disappointed so far! This series deals with the life of Larten Crepsley, Darren Shan's vampire mentor. Well worth a read!
At the end of Ocean of Blood Larten, half mad with the flu and with grief over the death of his young assistant Malora, slaughters just about everyone on board the ship, including the parents of a baby boy. This book starts with Larten wandering the icy wilderness of Greenland with the baby, seeking death. He comes across Perta Vin-Grah's finally resting place that once was the talk of myths and decided it a very fitting place to die. Once his sets aside the baby he returns to the task at hand, his death. As he's just about to jump to his death the familiar face of Desmond Tiny saves him telling him its not his time. Larten realises he doesn't actually want to die and takes the young baby with him, searching for a way of the ice.

The book skips forward a few years to Larten in Paris with his fiancée Alicia raising the now child , Gavner Purl. There is only one problem, Larten hasn't told Alicia he's a vampire and is going under the name of Vur Horston. He's living as a human and sometimes believes he is. Everything is going well for him and for once he seems truly happy, until one night he bumps into his old Tanish Eul. After a little convincing Larten goes into business with him only to discover that Tanish is still the coward he always was, letting others die at the hands of a vampaneze to save his own skin. Still feeling horrible for the slaughter of all those people on the boat he makes it his mission to save the girls and kill the vampaneze, doing what Tanish never would. Tanish turns on him and knowing its the only way he can get the better of him, blames the death of the girls on him annoucing to the whole world what/who he is.

Once Alicia finds out his true nature, he has no where else to go but home where he becomes a general and see people from his past, the most exciting being Arra Sails and Evanna. After 10 years he decides to take some time away and returns to Paris to check up on Alicia and Gavner but when he gets there he doesn't find them all, Alicia tells him the Tanish came back and soon after Gavner had gone missing.

I loved this book (I think I've yet to find a book by Darren Shan that I don't like) this series focuses so much on Larten feelings and I personally love that. Because I've read The Saga of Darren Shan back to front many times its lovely to see where some of the characters came from, what life they had and why/how important they were to Larten. I'm looking forward to seeing how it ends, but I also don't want it to. In a way I feel like everything I wanted to know how Larten after reading The Saga of Darren Shan has been answered, and when I finish The Saga of Larten Crepsley I can get closure. :)
on 11 November 2011
I've read every Darren Shan novel, usually within a month of them being released. I enjoy reading them, even though they are very clearly written for a young audience and aspects of the stories have a tendency to repeat themselves in different books.

The 3rd book in the Larten Crepsley saga is different. Yes, the setting includes the familiar Vampire Mountain and the characters have shown up time and again in previous books - but this is a sequel, set in a pre-created world; we expect to see familiar faces and in fact it would be odd if we didn't. However, Palace of the Damned is one of the few books where the plot is new territory. There is a darker struggle with morality and an understanding of the depth of character - it is not enough in this book that someone acts in an evil way; instead, we find out what has pushed them in that direction. Most importantly, there is real progression - Shan is not just going through the motions this time around.

Don't get me wrong, this is still a fairly easy read, aimed at the same youthful market and is peppered with short sentences and Shan's familiar style of writing. But this series has finally opened up into something (to pardon the pun) readers can really get their teeth into.
on 10 October 2011
Darren Shan is an incredible write who succeeds very well in making you want more and more with every turn of a page. This book is no exception.

This is book 3 in a series of PREquals to his Saga a.k.a. Cirque Du Freak series Cirque Du Freak (The Saga of Darren Shan Book 1)
Despite this being a prequel you should definitely read the Cirque Du Freak series first as a lot of the revelations (another stunning skill of Darren's, constantly revealing the unexpected) will not be as exciting if you do not know their significance which permeates from the previous 12 book series.

As a book it continues wonderfully from the previous 2 in this saga and I just cannot wait to read the 4th and final one, despite it being a VERY sad time for me as it will be the last line probably ever written in the Mr Crepsley universe.

TL;DR - I've been reading Darren's series since I was 11. I am now 20 and I enjoy them just the same.
Jim
on 25 April 2015
This book is with adventure horror and romance but all the same it is an amazing book and I am really looking forward to read the next book cause after seeing the front cover for the next book looks like he is going to New York city.
on 2 November 2011
Who has been an amazing author to me, who has read all his books that I have heard about for the past six years? The only author I have stayed with for that length of time has been Darren Shan, and do you know why? Because all his books are awesome. I read books like anything, so I cannot say much by how fast I read it, but it is yet another awesome book by an author that is one of the main reasons for my love for books. If you have read any of his before, this is another one, with all the usual elements that this author brings into the story. If you are new to the author, I recommend starting with the saga of darren shan (both the twelve books and the film) and taking it from there, its a great story. Enjoy!
on 7 August 2013
The saga of larten crepsley all the way through so far hasn't been as good as the saga of Darren shan to me. However I like this book as it reminds me more of the original books. A great read and you see more old characters come back, A good read.