5.0 out of 5 stars A little cracker and the craic...
Published on 13 Oct 2011 by Catweazle

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably not the same level of the debut. Transitional ?
I've loved Sea Sew, the debut album of Lisa Hannigan, and in a previous review I've written that It could be the preview of a masterpiece.
Now, listening The Passenger, the sensation is that this album is a sort of transition, between the beautiful Sea Sew and something we don't know jet.

Passenger is not a bad album, well played, well written and...
Published on 11 Feb 2012 by Ottavio

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A little cracker and the craic..., 13 Oct 2011
Catweazle (Horley, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Passenger (Audio CD)
I loved Lisa's first album, Sea Sew, but Passenger is much more upbeat and has a bit of humour scattered around as well - it just puts a smile on my face every time I play it. And it's a great disc for driving as the songs have a strange calming influence (Sea Sew had the same effect) - road rage never crosses my mind, no matter how rude or incompetent other drivers appear to be.

My favourite song is Knots as it is good ol' foot-stomping FUN! And check out the video on YouTube too (the one with Lisa in the white dress and the paint...) as this will just add to the fun - absolutely inspired, and done in just one take. Safe Travels (Don't Die) is very, very funny - bound to be a great crowd pleaser when played live! I'd not come across Ray LaMontagne before but he sings a fabulous duet with Lisa on O Sleep - their voices hardly need the backing music at all. Little Bird is a little cracker, too - clever lyrics and beautifully sung.

Could it be improved? Well, not much in my view, but I would have loved to have seen Braille on the album as well - another lovely upbeat song that would have fitted in well with the newer songs. I first came across Braille at the end of the enchanting Neil Jordan film "Ondine" - check it out here: Ondine [DVD] Ondine also features Lille from the Sea Sew album - beautiful!

Enjoy the craic!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful cd from Lisa!, 17 Oct 2011
This review is from: Passenger (Audio CD)
It would be hard not to love Lisa Hannigan. Her voice is so soothing that it never fails to quieten the busiest of minds. Passenger is a mixed bag of the sweet, simple styled songs that most instantly loved on Sea Sew cd and more intense tracks, that i can't help but wonder if there was a snow patrol influence to them. Whatever, they are all lush! Well done Lisa for another wonderful cd.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lisa Hannigan - Travelling a different path, 10 Oct 2011
Red on Black - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Passenger (Audio CD)
Those expecting a repeat of Lisa Hannigan's 2009 delightful treat "Sea Saw" will find this album on first listen a bit of a puzzle. Ironically very much like her former musical partner Damien Rice, Hannigan managed to produce a debut so deeply adored by its many admirers that it will cast a very large shadow on any of her subsequent output and it is a high benchmark that she has set herself. It is perhaps because of this that Hannigan's has wisely decided to move away in part from an exclusive focus on sprightly heartfelt balladry and the rather derogatory label of plinky plonk rock into something harder and with a much darker hue on this sophomore album. That's not to say that this album will disappoint for there is plenty on here to demand your rapt attention, The key point of this album is that it accurately fits the old football cliché of being a game of two halves with a largely rock orientated first part and a gentle acoustic return journey. Opener "Home" for example starts off sounding like a big bold Coldplay anthem with its pounding piano and familiar chords. Yet when Hannigan's breathy vocals kick in the song becomes a powerful vehicle with lyrics using the image of "melting snow" to carry its central message. It is perhaps "A Sail" the next song up that is the biggest departure on the album seeming to draw inspiration from either the Pixies or P.J. Harvey and starting with a dark sounding bass line. To fair it works well as does the more jazzy "Knots" which spookily echoes the styles on Laura Marling latest and finishes with a excellent crescendo of strings, where her band make a good old fashioned raucous racket.

All well thus far but then some problems creep in during the albums mid section. Of the next two songs "What'll I do" is probably intended as this album's "I don't know" but is frankly a bit light and twee (the more unkind would say plinky plonky). Equally the duet with Ray LaMontagne "O Sleep" lacks a really strong melody and just because both artists sing well it doesn't make it good. Much better is "Paper house" which will probably grow on further listens. Things are fully put to right however with the shimmering "Little Bird" where you will possibly hear one of Hannigan's greatest self penned songs to date and vocals to accompany it. This song is a thing of true beauty and an absolute standout. The title track equally is a little banjo driven charmer while "Safe travels (don't die)" is a melancholy lament whose lyrics displays that neurosis about a persons safety that sees all everyday hazards as a mortal threat, As Hannigan warns "Don't swallow bleach/out on Sandymount beach/I'm not sure I'd reach you in time my boy/Please don't bungee jump/or ignore a strange lump/and a gasoline pump's not a toy. The final song "Nowhere to go" admittedly does have a slight Damien Rice feel but it's a real wonder and is destined to loved as a beautiful slice of Irish tinged folk.

Credit is due to Lisa Hannigan since there was easy money in the bank if "Passenger" had turned out to be little more than Sea Saw part 2. This album has its faults but as Hannigan seeks to develop and grow not all things will work. That said "Passenger" again shows her to be an artist with a distinctive voice, who is never less than intriguing and at her best truly inspired.

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 21 Jan 2013
This review is from: Passenger (Audio CD)
I bought "Passenger" on the strength of seeing and hearing her for the first time supporting Richard Hawley and its very rare for me to go to a concert and be sufficiently impressed with the support act that I went away thinking "I must look into this. If someone is this good live what must the cds be like".
I was not disappointed. A lovely voice delivering some clever and occasionally whimsical lyrics backed by some wonderful musical arrangements. I have to say in track 7 "Little Bird" I am sure I can even pick up traces of that bitter sweet songstress from the 1970s Melanie. Why only 4 stars. Simply because for me out of the 10 tracks there are probably at least 2 possibly 3 that while not "fillers" are not as strong as the majority of the tracks.

4.0 out of 5 stars What a voice, 6 Mar 2013
This review is from: Passenger (Audio CD)
I fell in love with Lisa Hannigan's voice when she was singing with Damien Rice. Passenger is full of quirky and bitter-sweet self-penned songs that show off that magical voice to great effect. If I was on a desert island and allowed one person to sing to me in my isolation I'd have no hesitation choosing Lisa Hannigan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerising, 24 Sep 2012
This review is from: Passenger (Audio CD)
I disagree with the reviewer who said "singing live, she sounds exacty like the CD" because she sounds so much better live!

I saw her recently supporting Richard Hawley & she puts wonderful feeling into her perfomance & her voice has a pitch & purety that is not quite replicated on any of the recordings I have heard. I purchased this CD in the foyer during the interval, where she was on hand to sign it for me..she seems a lovely person too!

Full of beautiful melodies & clever lyrics, there is not a weak track on this CD, I am so glad it is now in my life. She has a new fan!

4.0 out of 5 stars "Passenger" is a great follow up to "Sea Sew", 15 July 2012
Amillionmiles (Hove, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Passenger (Audio CD)
Lisa Hannigan's debut album "Sea Sew", released back in 2008, was quite a treat with some lovely Irish Folk creations such as "I Don't Know" and "Lille". The sophomore album can be quite tricky for a lot of artists who have acheived immediate success with their first offering but with "Passenger", Lisa manages to retain the subtle beauty of "Sea Sew" whilst adding a couple of twists.

The opener "Home" has a much heavier Rock influence than the other songs and is quite a powerful and confident start to the album. It is followed by the highlight of the album "A Sail", a beautiful and delicate Folk influenced track with a strong melody and an addictive bassline. "Knots" is nearly as good with some great string arrangements and "What'll I Do" is a fun song with a very addictive chorus. The duet with Ray LaMontagne "O Sleep" is very sleepy, but quite magical. "Paper House" is a very sweet song with beautiful soft vocals and flowing arrangements. The acoustic guitar led "Little Bird" is gentle and peaceful and it is followed by the Country music influenced title track "Passenger", which has a very infectious chorus and is my second favorite composition. "Safe Travels" has some lovely lyrics and is another pleasantly arranged Folk song. The final track "Nowhere To Go" ends the album on a beautiful and gentle note.

Lisa Hannigan does not move mountains on "Passenger", but there some very emotionally intense moments, some beautifully written melodies and some cleverly thought out lyrics. "Passenger" is a treat to the ears and a must buy album for the fans of her other solo work.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great listen from start to finish, 12 May 2012
This review is from: Passenger (Audio CD)
I notice that some earlier make reference to Lisa Hannigan's first Album and saying that this one might not be quiet as good. Well, I haven't listened to the first album and if it's better than this one it must be excellent. Great voice, great lyrics and great music to go with it. Listened to it a lot this year.
Stand out tracks for me a "Knots", "What'll I do" and "Passenger" with an honourable mention for "Safe Travel...."... definitely worth parting with your hard earned cash!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great album from Lisa, 7 Jan 2012
This review is from: Passenger (Audio CD)
I loved Sea Sew and I was looking forward to this new album by Lisa Hannigan. Bought a copy for myself on the day of release and then bought a few copies for my friends as Christmas gifts.
The album is great. I think I liked Sea Sew a bit more, hence 4 stars and not 5, but it's really great. I find it a very good soundtrack for my train journeys.
I think Lisa is an amazing artist. She has a great voice, a rare talent and she looks a bit shy and very sweet. I like her way of experimenting with different sounds and instruments. Also I liked very much the videos they made for "Safe travels (don't die)" and "Knots".
Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars just beautiful, 14 Oct 2011
This review is from: Passenger (Audio CD)
After Lisa Hannigans first album Sea Sew I was hoping Passenger would deliver much of the same, which it does, and then some.
This album seems to be split into two sides, the mostly upbeat first half with Knots and What'll I do being two of my favourites here, but for me the second half is really where it excels, Little bird, Passenger and Nowhere to go are in my view three of the best songs by Lisa to date, Little bird is a suberbly crafted song which is sung subtely and beatifully as always, with the title song Passenger we're treated to much of the same but with the whole band pitching in perfectly, but for me 'Nowhere to go' is the pick of the bunch and is conformation if needed that Lisa Hannigan is far more than a pretty face and sweet voice, it has a melody to die for and is the perfect way to end this brilliant album.
A word should go toward the production also which isn't over slick which in my opinion so many records are these days, Lisa singing style can be very quite at times and at no point does the music bog down the vocal, unfortunately with Mr Cowell's karaoke singers polluting our airwaves these songs won't be listened to by as many people as they should be, buy this album and support a real artist, it deserves your attention.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Passenger
Passenger by Lisa Hannigan (Audio CD - 2011)