4.0 out of 5 stars That AHA! moment! (when using this heater)
Published on 15 Dec. 2012 by Zol.

2.0 out of 5 stars Design flaw !
This on the face of it looks like a good idea. A temperature reading and setting where you can accurately heat a room to precise temperature.

Published 8 months ago by D. Hodgetts

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars That AHA! moment! (when using this heater), 15 Dec. 2012
Zol. (Gloucestershire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dimplex Glofan 2 KW Upright Electric Fan Heater (Kitchen & Home)
This device had me stumped a little at 1st when I bought it (from another retailer) - it was that the heat output seamed quite low for a 2KW heater, but then I read the Instructions (yea, I know, what could that tell me?). I discovered that if the temperature is within 1'C of the set Temperature the unit goes into a reduced heat mode until the temperature is reached. so what this means is that if your room is at 19'C and the heater is set for 20'C - then it will be in reduced heat mode, once it reaches 20'C it stops. But! if your room is 17'C & the heater is set for 20'C it will go into high gear and heat up more quickly, that is until it reaches 19'C and then goes into that reduced heat mode again :)

So, if you want to heat up a room fast, ignore the temperature settings and put it on at least 5'C more than you want - and you will get fast heat output.

Worth noting: the display shows the 2 stage 'volume type' display, but when it goes on to reduced heat mode, it still shows as full - but you will hear a click (which also bugged me at 1st)

Overall, this is a very good device for a small-medium size room/flat - and being able to set the temperature for night time in a bedroom (with no heat) is wonderful - the light from the device providing a slight night-light effect when on standby & red glow when on heat mode, blue when in cool air mode (for summer)

Yes this is a little more expensive than some heaters, but the quiet fan operation & precise temperature setting make this a great buy (try to find it for around £30 or better for exceptional value)

**** 4 star rating from me

2.0 out of 5 stars Design flaw !, 26 Jun. 2014

The problem is, even with the unit in the off position it generates slight heat in and around the LCD display. I suspect the temperature probe is sat in that area because right now it reads 27c and I know for a fact the room is 21c at the level the heater is placed.

This problem becomes worse when the heater is heating. The plastic gets so warm that within a few minutes the temperature probe says "Hey it's 28c in here, lets switch off", so to compensate you have to set the unit to a very high setting, the max is 35c. I have just seen this heater supposedly reach 35c room temperature when my thermometer says the room is 21c.

So, in summary, the temperature reading and temperature settings on this unit are a complete waste of time, you may has well go back to an old model that allows you to turn on/ turn off when you are warm.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 3 Feb. 2012
In follow up to the one star review. I bought this to heat up my shower room. I t works really well for that, probably because it is a small room. Had a Glen heater before and it would switch itself off after 2 minutes and refuse to go back on. This Dimplex heater is so much better

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid - Not reliable, 8 Dec. 2012
I have this Fan Heater although did not purchase it from Amazon, but thought that my experience of it might assist others in their choice.

At the 2000 watt setting it does heat up a room 12ft x 14ft quite quickly. The 1000 watt setting offers enough heat only if the ambient temperature is not too cold. The cool air setting did help cool my living room last summer - what summer? The temperature control/thermostat (called climate control) is very accurate, switching on and off without long periods of inactivity and it has a digital display with a blue backlight. It enables the thermostat to be set to a specific value and the heater responds accurately. The red/blue 'Glo-Light' around the fan wraps you in a kind of psychological warmth or coolness.

However, after a year's use the digital display backlight failed and of course this makes checking and adjusting the temperature setting less visible. Also, the unit developed a serious grating noise in the fan and could no longer be safely used. I received a replacement heater from Dimplex under the guarantee, but this too has a thermostat fault and switches off before the temperature has been reached and will not switch on again. I note that another reviewer has had similar problems- too much for mere coincidence . My experience with other goods 'Made in China' has taught me to be very cautious.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 9 Dec. 2013
This hardly spits out much heat and keeps switching itself off. I would not rate it at all and quite expensive for what it is.

3.0 out of 5 stars good little heater, 4 Feb. 2014
This heater is easy to use, the settings are clear (unlike our other Dimplex products where you need a PhD to figure out how to use them) and it is very responsive to temperature. We bought it to heat our conservatory and to give our other room a boost when the night store heaters were fading. It's a little noisy, but does the job well. If it is knocked in any way the safety mechanism kicks in to turn it off. A good facility if you have animals. I bought it in November 2012. Now the fan has given up and there is no heat at all. I have been able to get the fan working by getting it started manually, but alas it has now declined to respond even to that. We have run it most evening during the cold weather, but I would have expected it to last better than it has done. Disappointing.
I notice they have an updated more expensive model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dimplex DXGL02 GloFan Upright Electric Fan Heater, 2 Kw, 17 Dec. 2012
Excellent Heater, warms a fairly large bedroom, set the temp you want and it maintains is by detecting the room temperature and clicks on to maintain the temp. Very little noise. Have not used the cold blower yet but would expect the same excellent performance.

4.0 out of 5 stars warm and toasty, 19 Dec. 2012
works well to heat the room, cuts in and out at required temp, easy to use.Also cool blow feature useful for when we get warmer weather!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth paying that bit extra !, 16 May 2013
Not the cheapest fan heater, but we had wasted our money on cheaper ones before that just didn't do the job. This was a great buy. It heated up our large motor caravan very quickly, effective thermosat, quiet in use and looks good when it lights .

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Heater, 15 Jan. 2014
The thermostat on this heater is so precise, and the temp is maintained perfectly. It's set at 19 degrees and is only on for a few minutes, quick to heat up the room. When it gets really cold outside this winter I may get another, as it makes you feel all warm and cosy inside.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›