5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous!
Jim Carey plays Joel, a man who wakes up, and skips work. You just have to some days. He catches a different train, and ends up far away from where he has to be. Here he meets Clementine (Kate Winslet), and they are drawn together.
It turns out they have a past, however. The films runs nearly in reverse, will the events of the past listing themselves in reverse...
Published on 12 Oct 2004 by Mr. Simon Paddon

3.0 out of 5 stars One Enjoyable Watch Is Plenty
Like many other people, I have heard so much about this film being very good so was glad to have caught it on TV recently. I like Kate Winslett and Jim Carrey is good in his more serious roles.

Published on 11 Feb 2009 by Mrs. Sharon L. Lawson

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreakingly brilliant, 8 Jan 2005
By A Customer
This is what love is. This whole film is one of the few to accurately capture the nature, the uncertainty and the beauty of relationships.
The acting is amazing. I was wary that Jim Carrey was in it, but you forget all of his past - he is quite simply Joel. Understated and moving throughout. Kate Winslet is also brilliant. Funny, wacky, but real. This is a rare breed of film when you actually believe that the characters have a genuine deepseated love for each other.
The story is primarily concerned with relationships. We see all aspects. While uncertain at times, it highlights the best and the worst, and I can quite honestly say I don't think any film has capture the beuatiful mundanity of most love affairs. It also raises larger questions that keeps you thinking beyond the last scene.
Special credit also to the music and direction. There are some scenes which are so beautiful, I just replay them over and over. And of course, Charlie Kaufman, ever increasingly one of the best writers today.
I can't recommend this film enough. I have seen it many times now, and everyone I have introduced it to falls in love.
If you have ever been in love, ever broken up, or just believe in love, then watch this film.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, touching film that avoids sentimentality, 8 Aug 2007
C. O. DeRiemer (San Antonio, Texas, USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I reacted to the movie this way...the bad and the good...or the less good and the good, because I think its a fine film.

I started out reluctant to see it. For me, Kate Winslet has always had a kind of calculating look about her that I've never responded to except for Quills. And a little Jim Carrey, for me, goes a long way. I react to him the same way I do to Robin Williams. I like them both, but in smaller doses than I usually get. All that energy wears me out after a while, and when they try to be "serious," I think they often veer off into being mawkish.

With that out of they way, I still didn't respond much to Winslet, but I thought Carrey did a fine job...understated, lonely, lost. Tom Wilkinson, Mark Ruffalo, and Kirsten Dunst are always first rate in what they do, and they were first rate here.

The movie itself was clever by half, but with so much more heart than Charlie Kaufman usually shows. The whole thing of being so hurt by past expectations and hopes that you want out is a powerful plot device. And I think Carrey's performance hit the bulls eye. Swinging back and forth in time, going back and forth between memories and reality, had me quickly paying attention to what was going on. I really like a movie that poses puzzles, with issues that can be figured out only if you don't doze off...and where the writer and director play fair with the audience. Memento and Usual Suspects also come to mind as good examples of this.

I think Eternal Sunshine is Kaufman's best work, as well as Carrey's.

One other thing...

Carrey, I think, hits 50 before long. It will be interesting to see if he can finally break out of his typical image (Dumb and Dumber, The Mask, etc) and become accepted as a serious, disciplined actor. He's not there yet, but he's trying. Before long I expect to see Mick Jagger and Keith Richards shuffle on stage with walkers, with the sound of their creaking joints drowning out Richards' guitar. I hope Carrey can avoid this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astoundingly original, 31 Aug 2005
No Quarter (Lancs, England) - See all my reviews
I had heard great things about this movie and when I finally saw it I was completely blown away. It's brilliantly inventive, with the idea of Joel (Jim Carrey) trying to erase the memory of his girlfriend (Kate Winslet) but his mind tries to stop him. There's much more to it than that but there's no point in spoiling it. This is one you can't really describe but you have to see it.
Carrey gives the performance of his career, and is far away from his more 'zany' roles like in Ace Ventura or Liar Liar. He is truly believable as Joel and Kate Winslet was also a revelation, with excellent chemistry between them. The support cast is also great, with Tom Wilkinson and Kirsten Dunst (I love her) particularly standing out.
It's definitely the best non-action film I've seen for a long time. I say 'non-action' because Eternal Sunshine doesn't really slot into a particular genre, with elements of comedy, drama, romance, sci-fi, fantasy all thrown in for good measure. But if there was a genre called 'Fantastic' then this would fit right in it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Starting anew, and not in a metaphorical sense ...., 26 Feb 2005
"How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!", says a poem. But how much truth can we find there?. What if we could erase our bad memories of a romance gone sour?. Would we be happier, or would we just lose the benefit of experience, and the good memories along with the bad ones?. Of course, posing these questions seems far-fetched, so strange that many people wouldn't even think about it if it weren't for the fact that "Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind" brings to the fore the possibility of starting anew, and not in a metaphorical sense :)
That is as a matter of fact exactly what Clementine (Kate Winslet) does on an impulse, after a particularly awful fight with her boyfriend, Joel (Jim Carrey). Afterwards, Joel doesn't understand why Clementine pretends not to know him, until he discovers she has had an operation to "erase" him. When he confronts the doctor who performed the operation, he decides to undergo the same procedure. But as the operation begins, and his memories start to fade, Joel begins to realize that he wants to remember his good moments with Clementine, even if that means keeping the bad ones too. As a result, he endeavors to hide his memories with her in parts of his brain that weren`t supposed to be wiped by the machine that the doctor manipulates. But will he succeed?.
There are some secondary characters that are quite interesting, for example the unethical technician (Elijah Wood) that helps to wipe memories, and that starts dating Clementine after her operation. However, the best thing this movie offers is the great performances given by Carrey as an introspective and shy Joel, and Winslet as a loveable yet really eccentric woman who changes the colour of her hair to suit her whims. The director (Michel Gondry) and the scriptwriter (Charlie Kaufman) also made a wonderful job of showing us the dynamics of Joel and Clementine's relationship, and of making the spectator believe that what was happening was real...
On the whole, I can say that I loved this movie. The central themes are easy to relate to, because they have to do with feelings we all have experienced at some point in our lives: love, loss, anger, disappointment, the need to start all over again... "Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind" entertains you, but it also makes you think. It isn't a comedy, and it isn't a drama, but it is certainly the kind of film I can strongly recommend you to see....
Belen Alcat

5.0 out of 5 stars A Compelling Masterpiece..., 13 Nov 2004
G "y2penni" (Sanderstead, UK) - See all my reviews
There's just too many good things about 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' to mention, it's hard to fit into one line. To be honest, the first time I saw this film, I was quite baffled, confused and didn't understand most of it at all - which was inevitably what brought me back to watching it again and again... and again.
A first impression of the film title basically gives you an idea of what sort of film this is - "hmm, don't understand that"/"what does that mean?"/"spotless mind...wuh?". To understand the real enigma of this film is to really feel emotionally involved with the story and the characters. If you put yourself in the position of Joel or Clementine, for instance (and also with the help of some breathtaking acting by Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet), you will feel like you are actually in the shoes of the character.
The script touches brilliance in imagination and originality from start to finish. It's visually stunning, but no special effects... just plain simple movie magic. It's clever, funny, sad and thought-provoking, much like most films screenwritten by Charlie Kaufman (Being John Malkovich), and has a European wit and creativity from the direction of French director Michel Gondry. It's a piece of art.
'Eternal Sunshine' is a Romantic/Comic/Fantasy love story. It's about a couple (Joel Barish and Clementine Kruczynski) who are in a struggling relationship, and Clementine decides to erase her memory of Joel, as does Joel of Clementine afterwards. The cast all give fantastic performances. It's almost completely told in reverse order, and there's a lot of changing around as the audience is taken into a journey of Joel Barish's mind...
If you're not into films that make you think and talk about for days afterwards with your friends... well, you simply don't like films. This is a classic example of a great film doing just that.
To be honest, I would be working on my coursework instead of writing this review if it wasn't that good of a film - but it most certainly is, and I just need to boast the brilliance, the beauty, the celestial dreamlike charm and grace, and why it needs everyone's attention.
Yeah, i was touched...

5.0 out of 5 stars I Can't Get This One Out Of My Head, 29 Sep 2008
I watched this film over two days ago, and have found it increasingly difficult to think of anything else since. An unnassuming, honest, off-beat, film , 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' is one of those movies that will grow on you and make you want to watch it time and time again, and is intelligent and thought-provoking enough to keep you captivated on repeated viewings.

Boasting none of the usual hollywood glitz, though the cast list is definately something to show off about, 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' follows the shy, quite and often seemingly 'boring' Joel Barish, who, after dating a girl called Clementine for several years visits her one day, only to discover she has no recollection of who he is and has in fact had him intentionally and entirely erased from her memory. Joel, distaught, hurt and confused, visits the place where Clementine had her memories of him erased and chooses to do the same to his memories of her. However, once made unconcious so the procedure could occur, he re-lives each of the memories as the team (Patrick, Frank, Stan and Mary) are trying to erase them, and suddenly decides that this may not really be what he wants. As the viewer we are given the chance to see Clem and Joel's relationship through these memroies, how they met, the good times, the bad, why Clem finally decided she no longer wanted to have Joel as part of her life - or memory. And we also watch as Joel discovers that he doesn't, in fact, want to erase Clem from his life forever, and we sit at the edge of our seat willing Joel to find a way to keep his memories safe forever.

I think 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' is a brilliant film, probably my second favourite film I have ever watched (the first being' A Beautiful Mind'). However, I do realise it's limitations too. It feels like a low budget movie (whether it is or not I do not know) despite boasting many hollywood stars in the cast list. However, I feel that this definately adds to the movie rather than takes away from it - it gives the film a sense of character, of individusality, as well as fitting the story well - for neither of the main characters live a glamourous life, so for the film to be filmed in that style would have been untrue to itself. Another limitation some may note would be teh actual story - the idea of having a person fully erased from your memory is absurd, howver, like certain other science-fictional stories I have seen or read (such as the novel, 'The Time Traveller's Wife') the absurdity of the idea comes second to the story, and the message of the story. The film is set in the real world, in our time, so it is easy to forget that memories cannot just simply be erased, and instead, as the viewer you pay attention to the story, and what the film is trying to ultimatley say.

The acting in this film is superb. Jim Carrey (who I have only ever seen in comedic roles previously) makes a breathtaking transformation into a serous role as Joel Barish, pulling off the character of a quite, shy loner with far more integrity and skill than I would have ever believed possible. Kate Winslet too made a startling change in my eyes from the only other role I'd seen her in (Rose in Titanic) to the gritty, fun-loving, unique, emotional, impulsive and incredibly chatty Clementine, who's ever-changing bright coloured hair makes the passage of time in the film slighlty easier to follow. I think my favourite performance however was by Mark Ruffalo as Stan, and this is the second time Ruffalo has blown me away with a role and he will certainly be someone who I will keep my eye on in the fuiture - he is an incredibly gifted actor.

I don't want to say too much about this film as I don't want to give much away. I will say though that the final scenes were very emotionally powerful (which surpirsed me)and that, although the film is only about an hour anda half in length, the character development throughout makes it feel like you have known the main two characters, Joel and Clem, for many years, and you end up caring for them as you would for two good friends, wanting them both to be happy. The film worked enough to have me willing Joel to hide his memory's from the 'evil' eraser team, to remember Clem, and go back to her and make her remember him too, but wehther that happens or not I will not say - you'll just have to watch and see. All I will say is that there are a few surprises that I definaetly was not expecting, that this film is not as predictable as you may expect, it being a love story and all.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly outstanding film..., 12 April 2007
I'm not the sort to post reviews on websites, but having seen this film this week, I feel the need to. It is a classic, wonderfully made, very well acted and thoroughly engaging from beginning to end.

Some earlier reviews have suggested that the film is too long and sags in the middle. I could not agree less. The unusual plot engages the viewer from start to end, and despite the fantastical premise, it all seems incredibly realistic.

If you haven't seen this film, see it as soon as you can. It is truly wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Why remember a destructive love affair?", 11 Feb 2005
Meet Joel Barish, a "nice," shy, unassuming man, played by a much understated Jim Carrey. Meet Clementine Kruczynski, a wacky, spontaneous, uninhibited woman who colors her hair as often as she brushes her teeth. Kate Winslet is brilliant here. She bounces with energy as the vibrant Clem. And Carrey gives one of his most mature, deeply felt performances as Barish. Joel and Clementine meet each other. Sparks fly. It's love. The conventional and the eccentric collide. More sparks - a veritable conflagration. And then the inevitable. Kaput! Abruptly. Painfully. Clementine wants to "wash that man right outta her hair," so she literally has him removed from her mind. Dr. Howard Mierzwiak, (Tom Wilkinson), invented a procedure to erase isolated, unwanted memories. He provides this process through his company, Lacuna. Ever unpredictable, Clementine decides this is for her. The next time the ex-couple meets, Clementine acts as if she has never seen Joel before. Joel is astounded, confused. A friend, (the very funny David Cross), finally tells Joel that he has been erased. Devastated and depressed, Joel decides to have the same procedure performed.
Most of the film's action takes place inside Joel's head. Hooked up to the memory-erasing apparatus, which pinpoints each Clementine-related memory in his brain and zaps it, he relives every moment before it's wiped-out. The emotional sense of loss is magnified, as one memory after another is visually annihilated. Unconscious, Joel realizes these moments are far too precious to destroy. Is it too late to save them?
"Why remember a destructive love affair?" So asks, Dr. Mierzwiak, who presides over a hearty-partying Lacuna staff, which includes: Patrick, the unethical technician, (Elijah Wood), who uses ill-gained information to court Clementine; Mary, the ditzy receptionist, (Kirsten Dunst), who fools around with senior technician, Stan, (Mark Ruffalo), while her heart lies elsewhere. This off-beat gang of unprofessionals is responsible for the comic relief. They bring unlooked for depth to their roles also.
Screenwriter Charlie Kaufman takes us on a roller-coaster ride through the remarkable landscape of Joel Barish's mind. This unbelievable visual collage of memories, and shifted, twisted realities, is absolutely brilliant and most memorable. The cinematography, (Ellen Kuras), is amazing! Dreams morph into reality then fade back to fantasy, while people disappear in mid-stride, as Joel's brain cells are destroyed. There are no boundaries here.
WOW! What a whimsical, delightful, poignant, refreshing gem of a film! I laughed out loud at times, and my eyes teared-up at others. Jim Carrey and Ms. Winslet really shine and emphasize, with their performances, our very human need for love. Eternal Sunshine's premise is that we need each other, even during those periods when being together interferes with being happy. As someone once said, "love is hard." And "Eternal Sunshine" is, above all else, an original love story. The movie's title is a quotation from Alexander Pope's poem "Eloisa to Abelard:" "How happy is the blameless Vestal's lot! / The world forgetting, by the world forgot / Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind/ Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd."
Kudos to director Michel Gondry, and Charlie Kaufman. This is one of the best films I have seen in ages!
JANA

3.0 out of 5 stars One Enjoyable Watch Is Plenty, 11 Feb 2009
Mrs. Sharon L. Lawson "Sadakohere" (London, England, UK) - See all my reviews

This film was a bit of an effort to get hooked to and understand what was happening but once I "got it" (after maybe 30 mins) I really enjoyed it. Yes, the couple were very mismatched, even Winslett with Wood was ludicrous as he's just a boy really!

It is a very unusual love story, verging on arthouse but for that reason, I liked it. One viewing was enough because it was pretty taxing and occasionally confusing to watch.

Almost an endurance challenge but strangely worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars No more damaging than a night of heavy drinking..., 4 Aug 2005
This is a touching and funny film which also dissects the way we remember things and why relationships falls apart.
Kate Winslet & Jim Carey are so believable in their roles as the dysfunctional couple Clementine and Joel. We sympathise with them both, we can see why they are together but then we see both of their destructive tendancies that cause things to go wrong.
There some beautiful and very funny sequences, especially those set in the mind. Kaufman is one of few film makers who can actually capture the sketchy and surreal sense of consciousness and memory. The way we jam random things together, the way certain things stick out, the way our memories and life shared with a loved one gives us a sense that we share a consciouness but when that loved one is gone, all that's left is a puppet likeness who can't give us any answers we don't already know and the realisation that their mind is and always will be separate and unknowable.
The idea of the memory erasure to escape grief is a stroke of twisted genius to. I suppose if you were going to be preachy about it the lesson is that our memories, even the bad ones, make us what we are.

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind [Blu-ray]
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind [Blu-ray] by Michel Gondry (Blu-ray - 2011)
6.03