5.0 out of 5 stars Irreverent, comical, off-beat
Ok, that's three words that I'd use to define this book.

The main character has the right name but a seriously wrong attitude for his chosen career. A universe where machines do things so people don't have to, unless they want to. Hal Spacejock doesn't want to. But then he has to and discovers just how little he really knows.

Robots that have...
Published on 6 July 2012 by A. Butler

3.0 out of 5 stars In space, no-one can hear you laugh
Can't believe I have had this in my reading pile for over five years. I picked in up in Oz back in June 2006 and it kind of buried itself in my pile of books.
Published on 8 Sep 2011 by Nick Brett

3.0 out of 5 stars In space, no-one can hear you laugh, 8 Sep 2011
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hal Spacejock (Paperback)
It's not bad and the author does show potential. It took a while to get going, initially I was slightly underwhelmed but by the end I discovered I had grown more fond of Hal and Clunk then I was expecting.

It's slapstick space humour with a daft cago pilot and a sidekick robot that is slightly less daft. Here they try to transport a dodgy cargo in a ship that is barely spaceworthy and mayhem is the order of the day.

So it grows on you and it does have some very nice moments. Not Douglas Adams yet though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Space comedy, 23 Feb 2012
D. J. Ketchin "living in books" (Edinburgh Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hal Spacejock (Kindle Edition)
Hal SpaceJock - broke, dangerously incompetent and about to have his ship repossessed.
Hal takes on a dangerous cargo job and Clunk an obsolete but competent robotic crewmember.
Everywhere they go Hal creates one disaster after another and the sardonic and long suffering clunk cleans up after him.

Amusing but not hugely funny. Very uncomplicated and strightforward read.
Would have much more impact as a comic strip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Irreverent, comical, off-beat, 6 July 2012
A. Butler "tanj666" (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hal Spacejock (Kindle Edition)
Ok, that's three words that I'd use to define this book.

Robots that have attitudes and cowardice. They have loyalties and prejudices too.

The bad guys are really bad, they positively drip with badness.

I read the book a few weeks ago, and it's taken me this long to realise how much I actually liked it. And I did like it. It's not a laugh out loud kind of book, the humour is too quirky for that, it's the kind of book that makes you smirk quietly behind your Kindle.

If sci-fi of late is leaving you a little jaded and fantasy with vampires has gotten a little too boring and samey, if some young rich guy getting it off on every page has annoyed you, then I can recommend this book to bring back the colour in your like.

In fact, I liked it so much that the second book is now on my must-buy list for next months salary.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable book, 9 May 2012
This review is from: Hal Spacejock (Kindle Edition)
I found this book to be an enjoyable read, it was easy to follow and was well written. It had a good sense of humour throughout and is one i would definitely recommend to others. If your looking for a guy bumbling along accidentally getting into adventures then this is the book for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hal, 28 April 2012
This review is from: Hal Spacejock (Kindle Edition)
The book was a easy read at the end of the day,it does go off plot a little and things like the Volent ship had crash
landed but the two droids had managed to reverse a truck out of it, and when Hal went to it with clunk it was on its nose ,.little thing are a bit annoying but still it was enjoyable ..

5.0 out of 5 stars Starships and Aliens Review, 1 Oct 2011
S. J. MacDonald (Wales) - See all my reviews
Concept/World
I loved the rustbucket spaceship, the Black Gull. The description of the food aboard the space station had me in fits.

Story
The story rockets along right from the start. Hal Spacejock leaves a trail of destruction everywhere he goes, with non-stop action all the way through.

Characters
I just loved the characters - Navcom, the spaceship computer with attitude, the brilliant and much put-upon Clunk and, of course, Hal Spacejock himself. Hal is hilariously stupid, doing whatever seems like a good idea at the time with no thought for consequences. He manages to survive far more by luck than judgement, and usually because he's saved at the last moment either by his ship's Navcom or by Clunk, his robot sidekick. The villains are convincingly unpleasant, greedy and ruthless.

Overall
I highlighted parts of this book that made me laugh out loud. By the end of the book I had 29 of them. The only other books I've read that made me laugh this much are Terry Pratchett's. This story does contain swearing so isn't suitable for younger readers. Simon Haynes is also writing a series for younger readers, though,"Hal Junior". I enjoyed Hal Spacejock so much that I bought a copy of that to review as well. I have also bought the next in the series to read just for fun. I'm a big fan of Red Dwarf so I'm not sure I'd agree with the blurb on the cover that says Hal Spacejock is better than Red Dwarf, but it's certainly up there alongside it.

1.0 out of 5 stars This book is Awful, 14 Feb 2014
This review is from: Hal Spacejock (Kindle Edition)
Dont even waste your time reading this, I could not even finish reading it that' how poor this book truly is...

5.0 out of 5 stars A BRILLIANT READ, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Hal Spacejock (Kindle Edition)
This has to be one of the best book I have read in a long time. The characters are great and the story is even better. It is humorous, witty and really ignites your imagination. I certainly recommend reading this and I highly recommend you support this guy by purchasing the rest of the series. Well done mate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hal Spacejock, 19 Jun 2013
This review is from: Hal Spacejock (Kindle Edition)
Very funny in places, excellent fun, a good entertaining read and really holds your attention. I look forward to reading more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 16 April 2013
This review is from: Hal Spacejock (Kindle Edition)
This was a great little read. Disengage the reality chip and just let it flow over you. I got this on a whim and while it will not have you rolling in the isles it will bring a constant smile to the face of even the most hardened - that for me is good.

Hal Spacejock