5.0 out of 5 stars Shiny Gemstones in a riverbed, 10 Sep 2011
This review is from: With a Little Help (Kindle Edition)
I'm loving this book. Each of the stories is a little gem, clever, well crafted, amusing and with a feeling of being real, of being things happening out there right now, maybe somewhere a little ahead of the curve like New York or Beijing, or maybe just round the corner from you in a dull suburban house you might be living next to.

I didn't expect much from this book becuase it seemed so cheap, I thought it might be leftovers or old stuff, but it is some of the best Doctorow I've read. And new, I've read a fair bit of his work and there was only one story I'd come across before, "The Things That Make Me Weak and Strange Get Engineered Away", and that is such a good story that it was nice to come across it again (reminds me of a mini Anathem).

The self publishing aspect is pretty interesting too. Jonathan Coulton talks about the Creative Commons license allowing songs, or stories, to be released into the wild to prosper or fail, and the story "Pester Power" in this collection makes me think of them as attempts at new life sending a trickle of information and money back to Cory, who uses it to craft new stories ever fitter to exist. Wouldn't it be a kicker if Cory actually was an AI?

Only quibble is that although there is a table of contents, you can't 'Go to...' it in the Kindle edition, you have to go to the beginning and then turn to the page before.

Try it if you have any interest in the modern world, you'll love it and it will change how you see things just a little.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to Read Doctorow Again, 17 Aug 2013
This review is from: With a Little Help (Kindle Edition)
not come across Cory Doctorow for a couple of years - was not looking. Good to read his very thoughtful take on the world and the future. I like his short stories. Most of them I have downloaded for free, but these ones I bought - proving his point about creative commons and DRM (and maybe being gamed by the AI in Epoch). Waiting for his next novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing and terrifying, 1 Jan 2013
This review is from: With a Little Help (Kindle Edition)
I haven't finished reading this yet but it's a definite five star work. The scenario in "Scroogled" is so creepily possible that it makes you break out in a sweat thinking about what your internet search history might suggest about you and how that might be used against you, and "Human Readable" weaves romance into a tale of networks and corruption. I've read a lot of his books, especially enjoyed "Makers" and "For the Win" (didn't realise that was for "young adults" until after I'd finished it!). I like the short story format of this one, each tale is thought-provoking in itself - and of course the whole project and the way it's being published is even more thought-provoking. I got my copy free via Google Play, and made a donation via Mr Doctorow's website.

With a Little Help