4.0 out of 5 stars "Invasion of the Nostalgicons"
A warm and charming book in which the author tells his life story so far, referenced to what Doctor Who stories were showing during key events. Yes I know I've made it sound anoraky, but it isn't.

Readers who love Dr Who and are of the same age will find lots to smile and chuckle at, while they are sat on the train or wherever with knowing smiles. The acid test...
Published on 19 Mar. 2008 by Bob Marlowe

2.0 out of 5 stars The final, dying squeak of the nonentity memoir
I suppose Nick Hornby kicked off the idea that the subject of an autobiography need not be that interesting, provided he is interested in something. Hornby also has the advantage that he can write; to the extent that you don't really need to be interested in football or Arsenal, let alone Hornby himself, to find Fever Pitch an intriguing picture of an obsession...
Published on 26 April 2012 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars None, 7 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Dalek I Loved You: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Edition (Kindle Edition)
This guy did not come across as much of a fan or engaging as a person. Im not sure what this book is but it is not fun. This sort of thing can be done well, contrast it to the charm of Moths Ate My Doctor Who Scarf for example.

2.0 out of 5 stars Strictly for hard core fans, 13 May 2008
De Bakey (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dalek I Loved You (Hardcover)
For those of use who remember Dr Who in the 1970s, there is a modicum of interest in this book. But there is too little Dr Who and too much about the author's life. This would be OK if the author had experienced an interesting life, but sadly he hasn't. The story of a shy public school boy at University is a common one and some of the details described about his later romances felt intrusive rather than insightful. OK as a holiday paperback.

5.0 out of 5 stars So true...., 7 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Dalek I Loved You (Hardcover)
Nick and I are very close in age, within a couple of months in 1965, and so our memories plough the same furrow. This was a truly enjoyable read. Nick has a relaxed and warm feel to his writing, and he really doesn't come across as a sad old git who likes Doctor Who (like me, I'm told!) The Doctor Who bit is really just a peg to hang some amusing memories on. I get it! So could you!

5.0 out of 5 stars You dont have to like Dr Who to love this book ..., 17 April 2007
This review is from: Dalek I Loved You (Hardcover)
Somone lent me this book recently. As I don't really like Dr Who I wasn't sure I would like it. But I loved it. I was laughing out loud on the bus on the way to work and even cried a little at one point. It helps that I lived through the era so remember the songs, TV programmes etc - but the stories about growing up, the birth of his son and breaking up with girlfriends are genuinly very touching. I have already recommended this to friends - it's a really fun read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great additional material in 50th Anniversary Edition., 22 Aug. 2011
Roy WD (ROCHESTER,KENT United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Unlike many Who books that are just a trawl through the episodes, this book is mix of whimsy and laugh out loud humour linked to the context of the author growing up with the programme. The new kindle 50th Anniversary Version has additional photos and author comments.Not just for Who fans. Highly recommended, as are all Griffiths books.

3.0 out of 5 stars An easy nostalgic read with a smattering of Doctor Who, 2 July 2013
This is an easy read, when you are tired and would just like something to wistfully remind you of your childhood and early experiences of Doctor Who. Its not profound, its not brilliantly written, but its pleasant. If you come at this from the angle of liking Doctor Who, there is just about enough of that to keep your interest and the rest of the book is mildly entertaining. A lot better than the next book which describes visits to locations used in Doctor Who "Who Goes There", which is really stretching the mileage he can get out of links to Doctor Who.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dalek I loved you - Great! Great! Great!, 25 July 2007
Clare V. Rowsell "C Rowsell-Smith" (Northamptonshire, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dalek I Loved You (Hardcover)
I read this book recently after my husband persuaded me to read it. I good job I did! I found it very funny and engaging.

I am not a Dr Who fanatic and did not know very much about the original Dr Who series (60's, 70's, 80's) apart from what my husband told me about or forced me to watch! I still found it a great read. I actually wanted the book to carry on!
It explores an almost idyllic childhood through to the teenage years and beyond, with regular inputs on Dr Who and life in general.

I have to disagree entirely with the reviewer "Mr Tandoori", it seems he expected the book to be more of a "who's who" (no pun intended) and the segments of the book in which Nick Griffiths describes his friends and family I found to be comic, interesting and endearing. I feel "Tandoori" missed the point of the book and I doubt he could write an engaging sentence let alone a book! If he doesn't like any book, why read them?

Anyway, the book certainly made me reminice about my childhood and how quickly it all seems to have gone by!
Even if you are not into Dr Who, I would reccommend you read it. I look forward to any other books Nick Griffiths writes!

C x

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for Whovians!, 20 April 2007
M. Stay "Mark Stay" (Epsom, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dalek I Loved You (Hardcover)
I was never much of a Dr Who fan when I was a kid... call me shallow, but after seeing Star Wars I couldn't get past Who's shoddy effects. However, this is a great stroll down memory lane for anyone who grew up in the 70s and 80s and now watches the current Dr Who with their kids. He manages to cram in tons of pop culture from the period and it's very funny too! Highly recommended...

4.0 out of 5 stars humorous, 30 Jun. 2012
John Hopper (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Humorous memoir of a Doctor Who fan and music/TV journalist of more or less the same age as me. There's lots in it to enjoy for anyone who grew up in Britain in the 70s and 80s and lived through the music and culture of the time. A lighter read than most of my books;). There is a hilarious quote where the author laments the lack of success in his lovelife "Neither was I Casanova - more Vauxhall Nova, when it came to girls"!

5.0 out of 5 stars A glimpse into the mind of an honest collector, 12 Dec. 2012
As a fan of the good Doctor myself, I was attracted to this book by the title. And in many respects I can relate to Nick Griffiths, especially as it was Spearhed from Space which finally got me hooked on the series too.

I don"t agree with his views on Jo Grant or Ace but that's OK.

Altogether a fine and unusual memoir, and worthy reading matter for fans of Dr. Who and contemporary British history.