4.0 out of 5 stars "Invasion of the Nostalgicons"
A warm and charming book in which the author tells his life story so far, referenced to what Doctor Who stories were showing during key events. Yes I know I've made it sound anoraky, but it isn't.

Published on 19 Mar 2008 by Bob Marlowe

3.0 out of 5 stars Dalek I Loved You: 50th Anniversary Edition
I suppose the book is an enjoyable enough read. The laughs make it worth the 1.02 I paid.

I am, however, baffled as to how this was published. The guy is not really anything more than a nostalgic fan [Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker specifically] of Doctor Who and watches the new series as part of his job.

DILY isn't much more than an updated...
Published 9 months ago by Seekles

4.0 out of 5 stars "Invasion of the Nostalgicons", 19 Mar 2008
This review is from: Dalek I Loved You (Hardcover)

Readers who love Dr Who and are of the same age will find lots to smile and chuckle at, while they are sat on the train or wherever with knowing smiles. The acid test of any book that gives an author's subjective opinion of a Dr Who story is do you want to keep reading when he disses your favourites and in my case the answer was yes.

Readers may find as they did that they compare themselves to Nick Griffiths on the fabled "Anorak Scale" e.g. he will clearly pay considerably more for a piece of Dr Who merchandise than me and it is in these key areas that spell out what kind of a fan the author is, where his humour makes it such an ejoyable read. Parts such as where he deals with friends reaction to a show they hold in much less regard and attempts to buy Dr Who videos from a paper where he makes it sound almost shady are a treat.

If you are 35 plus then you'll find plenty to enjoy especially if you've already done the big 4. Much younger and you won't get enough of the references (not just to The Police Box Show but to events at the time) to get anything out of it.

I definitely think my mate Alastair should be made to read it and I don't say that lightly!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Seventies Memoir Around, 20 Dec 2007
Jl Adcock "John Adcock" (Ashtead UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dalek I Loved You (Hardcover)
Dalek I Loved You looks like it's going to plough the same well-worn material as other seventies memoirs, such as those written by Andrew Collins. Actually - this one is far superior to any of the others in this genre. It's funny, genuine, and Griffiths comes over as a really decent bloke who can't believe his good fortune to be earning a living writing about stuff he loves.

The Dr Who material is well-handled, and brought back loads of great memories for me from the Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker eras of the programme. With a writing style that is slick and easy to read, Griffiths has put together a real page turner of a trip down memory lane that will appeal to lots of people who grew up loving classic Dr Who. Really well done - and a great feel good read!

5.0 out of 5 stars You don't have to be a Doctor Who fan... but it helps, 27 Mar 2007
A. Brideson (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dalek I Loved You (Hardcover)
It's been a while since I've read a book cover to cover in one or two sittings, and Dalek I Love You is definitely one of those. A childhood memoir (that really shouldn't be as highly entertaining as it actually is) intertwined with Doctor Who (and various 80s pop culture) factoids, it really doesn't matter that the narrative frequently jumps around all over the place, as Griffiths' writing style makes things as smooth and effortlessly offhanded as you'd expect from a music journo. There are several laugh-out-loud moments, and it even elicited a few wistful memories, despite my being born a decade later. Oh, and you don't have to be a Doctor Who fan, but it helps!

3.0 out of 5 stars Dalek I Loved You: 50th Anniversary Edition, 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: Dalek I Loved You: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Edition (Kindle Edition)

DILY isn't much more than an updated autobiography of some Radio Times staff member with a loose Doctor Who connection. In fact, I would go as far to say that the legendary David Bowie is mentioned more than that of the show which the book is meant to be about. The anniversary edition is just the same stuff but with abrupt interruption for some side notes, much of which is just interviews that the guy has conducted.

2.0 out of 5 stars None, 7 Feb 2012
M. Jones (UK) - See all my reviews
This guy did not come across as much of a fan or engaging as a person. Im not sure what this book is but it is not fun. This sort of thing can be done well, contrast it to the charm of Moths Ate My Doctor Who Scarf for example.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pointless rambling, 12 Sep 2013
Soze (Plymouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This is essentially the autobiography of a very ordinary man and his very ordinary life and proof positive that fans of Doctor Who will buy anything with the word 'dalek' in the title. Including me it seems! If it wasn't for the fact it regularly references the aforementioned show it would almost certainly never have seen the light of day. For fans of Doctor Who there's some fun to be had reading his reminiscences but other than that it's pure tedium. Once he started talking of his life, friends and family I became incredibly bored...this isn't meant as a put down, I'm sure the writer is a very nice chap but really...why am I meant to be interested in any of this? It's all so unremarkable (as would my autobiography be...which is why I've never written one!), very little of any substance ever happens to him, it's just average Joe spilling out his average life onto paper. Quite possibly the most pointless book I've ever read.

2.0 out of 5 stars The final, dying squeak of the nonentity memoir, 26 April 2012
I suppose Nick Hornby kicked off the idea that the subject of an autobiography need not be that interesting, provided he is interested in something. Hornby also has the advantage that he can write; to the extent that you don't really need to be interested in football or Arsenal, let alone Hornby himself, to find Fever Pitch an intriguing picture of an obsession.

Nick Griffiths' Arsenal equivalent is Doctor Who, but it doesn't really seem to be an obsession; more something he quite likes, his enthusiasm ebbing and flowing. And later he gets a chance to interview a lot of the people involved in the show, which is nice. But to pad it out, we learn about his fondness for the Canadian prog band Rush, his lousy A-level results, his desire to build a fruit machine. He just writes these things down and hopes we care, without any real attempt at self-analysis, or any desire to make himself or his hobbies or his relationships or his work really matter to us.

Moreover, deprived of the editorial support of the Radio Times (his regular employer), there are rather more clunky errors than one might hope for. So we've got an uninteresting person who is a bit interested in something, but hasn't got the talent to write about it. He claims to loathe Adric (the whining, spoddy companion to the Fifth Doctor) but that's who he most reminds me of. And as his final credits run, there will be no music.

4.0 out of 5 stars 70s nostalgia and a deep-seated fear of plungers, 23 Mar 2012
Doctor Who is more than just a TV show. It's even more than a TV cult like Star Trek. With 50 years on British telly (minus that long intermission around the nineties) it is the thing that still culturally links us to the 60s, especially now that Top Of The Pops is over. That's why there's a mini-industry of people with charming Bildungsromans which are mainly based around what they were doing when Terror Of The Autons was first broadcast.

Nick Jones has the drop on his competitors though because, besides the fact that he can tell a story really well, he worked for the Radio Times when Russell T Davies successfully regenerated the show in 2005. So as well as stories of hiding behind the sofa when the Daleks were on, Jones can drop in stories about mingling with David Tennant, Billie Piper and the late, lovely Elizabeth Sladen.

But of course the heart of this book is the story of an English childhood at a time when English childhoods had a little bit of magic (after the war and before happyslapping). We see a child's wonder at the new world before him while Pertwee is rocking the Tardis; the emerging personality of pre-pubesence as Tom Baker dragged his massive scarf around space and time; the agonising nihilism of both adolescence and having to sit through Bonnie Langford as a companion.

It's all here and it's told with spirit and enormous affection. A bit like one of those I Love The 70s shows, except in book form and without the repeated urge to punch Peter Kay.

(reposted from El Dink - eBook Bargain Bin)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great additional material in 50th Anniversary Edition., 22 Aug 2011
Roy WD (ROCHESTER,KENT United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Unlike many Who books that are just a trawl through the episodes, this book is mix of whimsy and laugh out loud humour linked to the context of the author growing up with the programme. The new kindle 50th Anniversary Version has additional photos and author comments.Not just for Who fans. Highly recommended, as are all Griffiths books.

2.0 out of 5 stars My Vision Is Impaired, 20 May 2010
Mr. C. J. Limb "chris_catmachine" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
An amusing read - he's roughly the same age as me so I recognise most of the cultural references.

However, it does seem a bit odd to get someone who went off Doctor Who fairly early to write a Doctor Who themed memoir. Instead of his reflections on the programme in the nineteen eighties, we get an account if his late adolescence and early twenties which are not quite as interesting for most of the people who bought the book. I prefer Toby Hadoke's "Moths Ate My Doctor Who Scarf" show which interweaves his own life with everyone's favourite guilty televisual pleasure far more successfully.