5.0 out of 5 stars The first book that really tells it like it is.....
Published on 14 July 2006 by C. Gilgunn

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Bother With This Book.
I bought this book because of the reviews but I didn't enjoy it at all. After dealing with infertility for the last 2 years and no end in site I thought I could do with someone else's story and I thought that it would be good read to make you feel that you're not alone but I found the book full of doom and gloom and very negative from the beginning to the end. Yes I know...
Published on 19 Sept. 2006 by V. Geddes

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The first book that really tells it like it is....., 14 July 2006
C. Gilgunn (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I spotted this book while surreptitiously scouring the bookshop for books on IVF...like most people who have been diagnosed with a fertility problem, I read anything I can get my hands on that deals with it. I read the book in two hours, and I found myself nodding sympathetically all the way through. There are a lot of books out there that tell you how to get pregnant, and what to do once you are, but very few that tell you how it feels when you can't. Isla McGuckin gives a no-frills, quietly honest account of her struggle to get pregnant, her battle with, and eventual acceptance of her childlessness, in a sweet and dignified manner. This book is a must for anyone who doesn't know what to say to their infertile friend, and is an inspiration to those who are struggling with their own infertility.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was looking for, 2 Jun. 2006
I was eagerly awaiting this book which was recommended by a friend and I have to say,it did not dissapoint

Pink for a girl was open, honest, witty and sometimes tragically sad.

But to follow the author from first imagining starting her own family to finding out that it was never acheivable to seeing her come out of it the other end a stronger, happier, healthier woman was a lifeline for everyone experiening fertility problems.

There is no silver lining, no bouncing baby on the horizon, yet you still ended up feeling uplifted in a glass half full kind of way...definately a recommended read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Daydream Believer, 20 Nov. 2006
I can't say how much this book has helped me to understand and accept my feelings towards my own experience of unexplained infertility. The heartache and yearning in contrast to the often amusing and brutally honest anecdotes have proved a real tonic. It is a compelling read and should be compulsory for all members of the medical profession as well as anybody who has experience of fertility issues. I wish this book had been available five years ago, had it been, I would certainly have made a few of the medical staff who dealt with us read it! A true inspiration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for girls, 5 Jun. 2006
Don't let the words 'pink' or 'girl' fool you into thinking this book is just for girls. It is equally as thought-provoking and informative for guys too (my partner loved it).

It isn't restricted to couples experiencing fertility problems either. It can help friends and family members think twice before blurting out "Don't you want children?" to a childless couple.

Through openly sharing her experience, the author engages with the reader in a sensitive account of her involuntary childlessness. It also proves valuable reading for anybody dealing with any emotionally painful situation through it's promotion of mental and physical well-being.

I can't recommend this book enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Baby pinks and blues, 18 Aug. 2007
As we are a couple faced with infertility who are going through treatment I bought this book in the hope of relating to somebody elses infertility struggle. I was not disappointed. The book is written in an light hearted autobiographical way leaving you smiling and crying throughout. I found I could relate to the same daily issues Isla faced on her infertility journey and felt that I knew her well. This book will be disappointing if you are looking for detailed information about fertility treatments and comfort on your darker days, I found it a bit negative in places. All the same it is a good read which I couldn't put down and it left me looking at things from another point of view.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hallelujah!, 4 July 2006
A. Cowburn - See all my reviews
A book that makes me feel human. It gives me the licence to feel the way I feel and lets me know that I'm not the only one going through it.

This book was recommended by a good friend, a recommendation that I will pass on and on.

It gives hope, inspiration and understanding, the unintentional self book. Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need to know about trying for a baby - and much much more!, 27 Jun. 2006
What a great book - I couldn't put it down. It kept me completely enthralled from beginning to end and my emotions roller-coasting throughout.

Contrary to popular belief, it isn't always that easy to get pregnant! This is one couple's amazing and very personal story of trying for a baby. It's not just for people who are trying for a baby, but should be read by their friends, their family - in fact, anyone who's ever thinking of having a baby!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, 30 April 2007
Once I started to read I couldn't stop! This book gives a brilliant insight into the emotions regarding infertility. It tells it exactly how it is, emotional, sometimes all-consuming but survivable. It also raises some thought-provoking issues regarding the fertility treatments available and what you should expect. A must read for any couple experiencing infertility.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 4 Oct. 2006
H. Thompson (Bedford) - See all my reviews
I'd highly recommend this book. In fact, I enjoyed it so much I read it twice! It's a totally honest and very informative account of a couple's experience of involuntary childlessness. It's also the inspirational story of two people who have been able to reassess their life together, turn their back on successful careers and make courageous decisions to create a more positive and fulfilling lifestyle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for those who do not want to let the hopes of having a baby consume your world., 21 Jan. 2011
G. Mullings (UK) - See all my reviews
I have been trying unsuccessfully for a baby for two years. I have had tests and now am at the point of being referred to a fertility clinic. I am teary all the time, bitter, and starting to feel withdrawn and depressed. I always knew my baby making days would be difficult I wanted a baby long before I tried, and unfortnately I fell madly in love with a man who had had a vasectomy. Despite the urge for a baby I wanted my husband far more than anything else in the world, but we went ahead and paid over £2000 for a vasectomy reversal. When we decided to try for a baby we were thinking well lets see how it goes, if it doesn't happen it doesn't. Unfortunately for me it has started to consume me and I am so fed up of hearing others 'advice' especially just relax. All I hear is find out more about you see if there are 'more' problems. It's all been hell on earth, I've had panic attacks, got my hopes up each month, and been let down each month with flow comes in. So many people have fallen pregnant around me, and I feel alone.

So as time has gone on and I've got more upset friends and family have been putting pressure on me to investigate further and go for treatment. We dont qualify for treatment on the NHS and we dont have the money for IVF ourselves. So we are now making the decision to accept our position, I may need counselling to do this but this book has been brilliant. It was like reading about me, and my feelings at a time where I have felt so alone. It has given me the courage to make the decision to accept my situation. I know I wont stop trying to become pregnant but I certainly choose for it to not consume my life.

I did a goal setting course recently of what I wanted to look back on in ten years time, the first thought was not spending my days in tears and thinking about nothing but babies. So here goes... this book has helped me to take that step to refocus my life on something other than the desperation of baby making!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›