5.0 out of 5 stars Best Soul Screamers book yet!!
Published on 9 Jan 2011 by Claire Mill

3.0 out of 5 stars My Soul to Steal
Read this book stand alone, not others in the series (this was book 6 I later learnt). Still really enjoyed it, but felt I was missing something. Need to read others first in the series to really appreciate the story.
Published 21 months ago by J. Searle

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Soul Screamers book yet!!, 9 Jan 2011
Claire Mill "Cem" (England) - See all my reviews
I absolutely loved this book! Beginning to end I was captivated and could not put it down. The Soul Screamers series is very different to most YA series out there at the moment with it's focus on bean sidhes rather than the more popular topics of vampires and angels. It gives you something new to get your teeth in to but what really makes this series work is the very creepy dark side found in the Netherworld and the fantastic, realistic characters and the way they develop.

Not only is this a great paranormal story in which Kaylee is attempting to get to the bottom of a spate of sudden deaths and stop them, but she's also battling with very serious personal issues, which Rachel handles incredibly well. At the end of My Soul To Keep (book #3) Kaylee realised how badly her boyfriend Nash had betrayed her, and she was strong enough to walk away. Addiction is a difficult subject to handle, but Rachel has managed it perfectly. She could have easily written it so Kaylee simply forgave Nash and they lived happily ever after, or had her walk away and suddenly stop caring. Neither would have been realistic, but the former something that could possibly have been expected. But instead Rachel deals with it in a very real and honest way. Kaylee isn't about to stop loving Nash or wanting to be with him. And she's also not about to suddenly trust him again. Trust takes work and hard as it is for them, I'm really enjoying seeing both Nash and Kaylee work to make things better. Nash's addiction is not going to be left by the way side and forgotten. It's something that will be ongoing, just as any addiction in real life is. It's handled maturely, without talking down to readers and without glorifying any aspect either. There are plenty of harsh truths involved with addiction and many conflicting emotions, none of which are skipped over, making for an excellent story.

My Soul To Steal sees the addition of Sabine, Nash's ex. And wow, she's a hell of an addition! Sabine was introduced in the short story 'Fearless' (which she narrates) found in the 'Kiss Me Deadly' anthology. I loved that short and fell in love with Sabine then. I actually love her more now, after Steal, although I've no doubt many readers will dislike or even hate her. She's very forthright, very nasty at times, and very, very blunt about her reasons for being at Kaylee's school. She wants Nash back and she doesn't care who she has to hurt to get him. Sabine is such a fantastic, complex character and I also love how she tells Kaylee what's what, revealing some home truths and making Kaylee face them.

Another important character in Steal is Tod. Tod is quite possibly my favourite character in this series. He's funny, caring, selfish and when its really needed, he can be very honest as well. He has a scene with Kaylee in Steal which might well be one of my favourite scenes of the series. Tod clearly cares about Kaylee, but he doesn't protect her from the darker truths she needs to know about. I love the caring honesty he gives her and the way he's developed over the series.

The paranormal aspects of the story are beautifully blended with the personal creating an intense read and like I said at the start, I couldn't put MSTSteal down! This series has just gone from strength to strength. Steal is achingly painful at times, with some fantastic drama, laugh out loud moments and awesome character development as well. Kaylee is growing in strength and self confidence, something I love to see and enjoy following. Steal is easily my favourite book of the series so far and it left me hungry for more! Spectacular work from a wonderful author and a must read series! It just gets better and better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 28 Jan 2011
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Book four of Rachel Vincent's SOUL SCREAMERS series begins with Kaylee trying to figure out how she can work things out with her maybe boyfriend, Nash. Kaylee knows that she can't ignore what happened, but their already strained relationship takes a turn for the worse when his ex-girlfriend transfers to their school.

Sabine appears beautiful, confident, and ready to take Nash away from Kaylee without looking back. She is also a mara, the living personification of a nightmare. She can read your fears and send you nightmares, which she then feeds upon while you sleep.

Sabine isn't above terrifying Kaylee to get her hands back on Nash.

As always, this installment is suspenseful, engaging, and worth every minute spent reading it. Ms. Vincent and her books are definitely worth a look, and once again there are many twists and turns to the story as Kaylee and gang try to figure out exactly what is going on.

Reviewed by: Breia "The Brain" Brickey

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically creepy!, 27 Nov 2011
Jo (London, England) - See all my reviews
WARNING! I cannot review this book without spoiling the others in the series. Read no further if you're planning on reading this series and don't want it spoiled for you.

After finishing My Soul to Keep, I immediately picked up My Soul to Steal, desperately needing to read more of this story I am now hooked on. And it didn't disappoint!

With the introduction of a Mara, a creature that reads your darkest fears and creates nightmares for you to have while sleeping so they can feed from your fear, MSTSteal knocks the creep-factor up a level. What makes it slightly worse is that the Mara in this story, Sabine, is Nash's ex-girlfriend, and he is absolutely certain she is not behind the seriously bad things that happen in the book - which means that what she does might not be because of some evil scheme, but because she simply wants to torment Kaylee. To me, the possibility of her not actually being the one who is killing these people, but just sending Kaylee nightmares through jealousy makes her creepier, because if she's not the villain, how can you get rid of her?

I love how amidst all the urban fantasy, Vincent can still give us a human element, or more specifically, in the Soul Screamers, the teenage human element. In the last book it was teens using drugs, in this book, it's boyfriend stealing. Kaylee and Nash are on a break after she discovered, while he was addicted to Demon's Breath, he let Avari, a Hellion in the Netherworld, possess Kaylee's body, and never told her about it. Although she still loves him, she doesn't trust him, and is still hurting from the betrayal. Then along comes Sabine. As I said, Sabine is Nash's ex-girlfriend, and she is determined to get him back. She complicates everything for Kaylee, because although she doesn't want to lose him, she can't be with him right now, where Sabine is quite happy to accept he's done some bad things and love him anyway - and give him things Kaylee is not yet ready to give. Kaylee can't deny that Sabine and Nash obviously have a strong bond, and is terrified Nash will turn to her if she doesn't take him back soon, but how can she take him back so soon when she's still struggling with her trust issues? Add to this that Sabine is happy to play dirty by tormenting Kaylee with seriously freaky nightmares among other things, and you will have yourself one seriously stressed out bean sidhe!

As creepy as she is, I actually really liked Sabine. Sure, she goes about trying to get Nash back completely the wrong way (though frankly, I think she shouldn't have just accepted he loves Kaylee and gave it up), I have to admire her determination, and was impressed, along with sometimes shocked and angry, at how far she was willing to go to get what she wants. She is unbelievable! But I empathise with Sabine too, even if I can't relate to her. She has had such a tough life, and for all her tough front, she just seems so insecure and, well, desperate. Nash may belong to someone else, but he is all she has in the world, and she really does need him. And beyond Nash, Kaylee has absolutely everything Sabine doesn't - a family, friends, people who care about her, and a generally good life. Sabine is just a really complicated character, and I feel sorry for her. And I also think she's going to make make future books that little bit more interesting!

What I've discovered from reading MSTKeep and MSTSteal is that what appears to be the main conflict for the story, despite how big a deal it seems at first, it's nothing compared to what is around the corner - and there's always, always something. And the magnitude of these somethings is just beyond anything you can imagine! There is so much more going on in this book than the freaky events surrounding the Kaylee-Nash-Sabine love triangle, so much more, but I can't say anything about it! It's one of the things I love about the Soul Screamers Series, the mix of urban fantasy - Kaylee and friends in our world, and high fantasy - all the goings on in the Netherworld, which is completely made up by Vincent, so you never know what's going to come next! I love it! It's always big, and scary, and freaking awesome!

And, if I'm reading things right, I believe the current love triangle might actually become a love diamond (sounds much better than a square or rectangle, don't you think?)! There might just be a certain someone who also has feelings for our little bean sidhe, and I think I might possibly be rooting for him! Another incredible book, and I cannot wait for If I Die! I think the Soul Screamers might just be, dare I say it... possibly a little bit better than the Shifters series! I am addicted to these books!

4.0 out of 5 stars Stole my heart!, 10 Nov 2011
This doesn't happen much but Kaylee is a character that doesn't really bug me a whole lot. During a series of books, the main character usually has a point where I want to slap her but not with this one. Even after all Kaylee has had to deal with, she is still strong and mostly knows what she wants. This book is a little bit of an exception when it comes to the latter because of her situation with Nash but I could overlook that. As Nash hurt Kaylee so badly, she has a lot going on in her head and this makes it harder for her to make solid choices but I could totally relate to this. Still, even with this going on, Kaylee still tries to be the best she can be and to stop bad things from happening.

What I loved about this book compared with the rest of the series is that it steps up the adult themes a notch. Now, I know this is still a young adult book but it is aimed at the older end of the spectrum and I like that! Too many authors shy away from the topic of sex and relationships in a real way so I was glad to see this explored a lot more in this book. Sex between Kaylee and Nash has been an issue in the previous instalments but I liked the way the story was taken this time around, especially with the addition of Sabine.

Sabine was really a breath of fresh air for this series and although she causes problems, big problems, for Kaylee, I really want her to stick around. She added a very fresh and new kind of character to an already fantastic series. Due to having a hell of a lot more life experience, everything about her is different; from the way she talks to the way she acts/ reacts to certain situations. I know Kaylee and Emma would never act in the same way but this is why I loved her so much. Sabine also added a real human (forgetting that she is infact not human!) element to the story which hasn't really been seen in this way before now.

As for the plot, I loved it. I am always astounded by how many different situations Rachel Vincent can come up with for Kaylee and the gang without sounding monotonous. Her imagination is certainly wild but it is also extremely entertaining. The Netherworld is brought back into the plot once again but this time, not quite so much. I do love the parts set in The Netherworld but it is also nice to see the characters react in the real world without having crazy plants or demons to contend with at the same time. The main idea of the plot was interesting and instantly had my attention as soon as things began to happen!

Overall, I think this is my favourite in the series so far. I am so excited to see what Sabine has up her sleeve next and I am really praying that she doesn't run off any time soon. Once again, Rachel Vincent had me start a book and not move until it was finished!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this YA series, 4 Nov 2011
Since we've been reading all of Kaylee's trials and tribulations, I thought I'd instantly hate Sabine. And I tried, I really did. But I kinda sorta liked her. Yeah, she's a bitch but she's a very likeable and understandable bitch. That being said, I'm still not sure who I want to be together - Nash and Kaylee or Nash and Sabine. Because I'm almost certain there's a certain reaper that has feelings for Kaylee and I kinda sorta like him better than Nash.

I'm still loving this series, Rachel Vincent is an excellent writer and really keeps you gripped. I like both her YA and her adult series, and I'm convinced she can't write anything bad. So obviously, I highly recommend anything written by her.

5.0 out of 5 stars They only get better!, 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: My Soul to Steal (Soul Screamers - Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
4th one in the series and I still can't put the books down!
Love the introduction of the new character's and Kaylee and Nash' s trials in both worlds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series of books, 5 Jan 2014
Highly recommend this series if you of the twilight minded! Bought the first two as paperbacks before I had my kindle and once I got the kindle immediately bought the rest!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Amazing Book In This Series!, 27 Oct 2013
Miss T. R. Snook "Tiffa (:" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I wasn't initially sure whether I had enough opinions on this book to write a good enough review for it. However, seeing as it was sent to me for review, and add in the fact that I've not reviewed a single book in this series yet - I decided to bite the bullet and do so! I've not read any novels with Banshee's in, and I really don't think there are that many out there - so it's great to see an author do something different. Rachel Vincent has created another fantastic book in her Soul Screamers series; my expectations where very high when I started reading My Soul to Steal and I can say they were well and truly met. I expected nothing less from Rachel, who has already wowed me with the first three books in this series.

Kaylee is back and booming - and whining - in this next instalment in the series. Although I've loved her character in the past three books, I have to say she really irritated me in this one! I hated Kaylee's attitude towards the situation with her ex-boyfriend Nash and his ex-girlfriend Sabine. The whole `I'm not taking you back but I'm refusing to let you be with her' attitude drove me insane. I understand that she's hurting due to reasons from the previous book - but couldn't she be man enough (I'm not sure if this is the right phrase to use, but hey!) to be by Nash's side while he's dealing with his problems, rather than bugger off and leave him to suffer alone. I don't think that's the attitude you have towards someone you love - even if they've hurt you.

Nash - oh dear, where am I going to start with you? In the first two books, I was very much so `Team Nash', (I almost started my own fan-club) but in My Soul to Keep - I hated his guts completely. In this book, he definitely scored more points and my hatred of him turned more towards slight annoyance and a bit of a crush. (I'm not going to start waving pom poms and chanting his name though.) Nash has a back bone in the first three books - but in My Soul to Steal, he seems to have let Kaylee rip it out and use it as a musical instrument. Please, Nash - grow back the balls you seem to have lost since you messed up your relationship. If you want her that badly, don't let her treat you like a dog that's misbehaved - you're giving off completely the wrong signal!

Todd is Nash's brother, and gosh - I love him so much! From the moment he was introduced into this series, I felt like throwing my hypothetical `Team Jacob' t-shirt in the rubbish and buying a `Team Todd' one instead. The only problem with Todd is that he's dead - it's really a darn shame, as I think Kaylee and Todd would make an excellent couple. As for Sabine; gosh, I hated her so much - yet at the same time I loved her. Is that weird? Sabine is bad-ass - as in the bad-ass that will try and steal your boyfriend but try and be your friend at the same time. Sabine annoyed me and frustrated me, but by the end of the book I grew quite fond of her. I will admit that I wished she'd get killed off at first - but now I just think she's going to bring quite a lot of laughs to the series.

As much as I criticised and complained about this book, I really did enjoy it - and this book, and the series for that matter - are in my list of favourite books. Rachel Vincent's writing is wonderful, funny and such a pleasure to read. I'm sure all of these irritations are just little road-blocks in the way to her making the series what it is - and I completely understand. This series would not be the same without all the drama! As it turns out, I had a hell of a lot more to say about this book than I thought I would - and I can't wait to pick up the next book in this series and see what happens next! Please, no one take any of my ranting about this book seriously, it's just me letting off some steam and trying to be funny - I really believe this book well and truly earned the 5/5 star rating I gave it. I definitely wouldn't give it anything less.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read, 26 Oct 2013
great book, i find this author easy to read, perfect for relaxing and escaping from the daily work grind or a great beach read

5.0 out of 5 stars love this series!!, 18 Oct 2013
Love this series and the price is always good too!!Rachel Vincent knows how to write books that attract not only the young-ones but adults as well!!!

ARRAY(0xa3cd887c)