5.0 out of 5 stars One of the coaching classics!, 5 May 2012
Alongside 'Coaching for Performance' by John Whitmore and 'Effective Coaching' by Myles Downey, I recommend this book to newcomers to coaching as one of the original classics. It has a life coaching rather than business coaching bias but I still think there is much in it that is valuable to coaches of any flavour. I particularly like the chapter on listening and the model of listening that is introduced with its three levels. This model helps readers understand the difference between internal listening, active listening and global listening - a very powerful concept in coaching. The emphasis on intuition is also welcome in that it balances the many texts that seem to present coaching as a science rather than an art. A whole chapter on curiosity is also unique in my experience - for me it works to focus on curiosity rather than the associated coaching principles of being non-directive or non-judgemental since it is a positive quality; something we can learn do to better rather than something we are being told we should not do. Overall, it is the writing style of the book that lifts it above the rest of the pack - a warm, expert guidance with some lovely anecdotes and stories scattered in to keep the reader engaged and on their toes.A must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A toolkit that's worth it's weight in gold..., 27 July 2012
Mark Stipanovsky (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
If you're a coach, aspiring to be a coach or just plain curious this is a really helpful book.

Coaching is a skill that is used in every walk of life. It comes in many different guises and has many different names...

Co-active coaching emphasises the importance of "ownership" rather than magic - although it can seem like magic when applied...

This is a journey of discovery, awareness and choice...

I have been really successful in my work as a person who uses coaching, psychotherapeutic models, nutrition, exercise and anything else I feel will be helpful because of my truthfulness...

"The truth according to Mark" may not be what you want to hear - but it will be helpful and that's what shines throughout this book.

An added bonus is the CD and website and downloads and all the multi-media that accompanies a book such as this.

I reckon this is a cross between a "course text book" and a reference book that you can use for life - although you will probably have to buy the latest up to date edition.

Sometimes it's good to buy a previous edition just to see how the model is evolving.

Anyway, very helpful book and like I always mention - this stuff needs to be applied to your own life if you really want to gain the maximum benefit from becoming a successful coach...

Buy it and learn some interesting stuff...

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!!, 21 Jan 2013
This review is from: Co-Active Coaching, 3rd Edition: Changing Business, Transforming Lives (Kindle Edition)
As a trainee coach who has been through the life changing journey as coachee/client I have been eternally grateful for the authors expertise. The co-active coaching model (I believe) is a strategy that should be used for the foundation of all coach training. I have found the toolkit fantastic as a basis of building my resources and I have used all information useful in my experiential coaching journey.

Thank-you for sharing this book which will be my bible as I establish my niche as an independent coach, passionate in the vision that a world with the influence of coaching is a world naturally creative, resourceful and whole.

Lindsey
(Trainee Coach @ McStravick Institute of Coaching, N Ireland)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to coaching, 23 Oct 2011
Wonderful book. Apparently the most recent edition has CDs with audio examples.

I especially liked the material on process coaching - the more formulaic stuff leaves me a little cold.

But this is a great introduction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Co- Active Coaching, 5 Jun 2014
Co-Active coaching is probably one of the best coaching books ever written.
beside the theories, it give practical examples of how to handle conversation with clients.
every coach needs to read it.

Romeo Richards

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 10 Nov 2013
I used this book alongside a coaching course, and it is really very good. Practical examples and also references to the theory for more in depth study. Contains all the basics covered in standard coaching courses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent model and description, 24 Mar 2013
AYdB (Basel, Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This book made me decide to take a formal coaching qualification in co-active coaching. It is written in a very accessible way and the model is a very person - centered approach to coaching. One of the underlying principles, "people are naturally creative, resourceful and whole" says it all for me. Also the best description of intuition I have seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book!!!, 28 July 2014
I absolutely adore this book! It has helped me tremendously to get into a coach mind and what it takes to be a great coach! I totally recommend this book to everyone! Easy to read and it is so engaging!