on 10 April 2013
I am 34 and therefore not the typical target audience for the Galaxy Y. People often assume that most owners will be kids or school age. So what if, like me, you're older than that and are simply wondering if this phone makes the saving on your monthly tariff worthwhile?

For me, definitely yes. I have had absolutely no trouble surfing the internet with ease, downloading and using apps including viewing maps, and although the screen is small, typing texts is still faster than my old keypad phone. I wouldn't have thought this was a starter level phone were it not for the word 'Young' when you switch it on.

You do notice the difference in screen size and resolution when you see higher-spec phones, and the keyboard is fiddly if you have large fingers. But then my same tariff with a (still fairly basic) Samsung Galaxy Ace would be £60 a year more, and £120 a year more if I'd chosen the Galaxy SIII Mini. They're more advanced phones, but for me I simply don't think the advantages justify that extra money.

Bear in mind that I upgraded from a very basic Samsung e1100 that doesn't even have a camera, let alone internet. So I am probably easier to impress than many people. But don't think that you need to spend any more money on a higher spec phone than necessary. I am very happy with my choice.

I hope this review proves helpful if you're a similar buyer to me.

Update:
I'm glad this review seems to have proved helpful to most people so far. When I wrote it, it was still quite a new phone, so thought I would update it with a long term comment.

The Galaxy Y has proved a good phone but is not perfect. The main problem over time is the memory issue - I find the phone quickly complains about lack of space if you download a lot of apps, meaning I've needed to delete some to free up space. Perhaps there's a way around this, but I'm not great at working out that kind of thing, and I haven't found it. The phone can also be quite slow to load pages if you're not hooked up to a wifi network - but then it's a cheaper phone, so maybe that's not too surprising. Battery life isn't great, but isn't great on most other smartphones either.

But all things considered I still think this was a great buy. My original point was that there's no need to spend a whole lot extra on your tariff, for the sake of having a flashier phone you don't really need. I can make and receive calls, send texts and messages on WhatsApp, use a select few apps occasionally, and most importantly, not pay very much for it per month. If this sounds like you, then the Galaxy Y is a great buy. If you're into downloading lots of apps and find yourself whiling away many an hour looking at your phone screen, then you may find it worthwhile to pay more for a more advanced device.

Overall, still very happy with the phone and would still give it 4 stars!
33 comments|238 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 2 August 2014
Robust little android touch screen phone that does the basics well at an affordable price. Looks neat, small size (10 x 6cm with a 3" TFT screen), easy to hold and operate in one hand, especially if you get a silicon skin case for it. Advertised as metallic grey, but actually comes with a selection of metallic finish case backs ranging from black through pink and orange - whatever suits your mood!
Touchscreen is suitably responsive and the keyboard is easy to use, though I have some mishits with my blobby fingers. My phone came with a 4Gb micro-SD card to expand the pretty minimal on-board memory.
Easy to set up from scratch - took my O2 sim card no problems at all and worked fine straight out of the box.
Simplicity itself to set up or ratify a googlemail account, and then to add other e-mail providers too, and you can set often used icons to appear on the home screen. Other apps and icons are stored on a series of pages that you can add to as you go along, and of course you have instant access to Google search and the Google app-store too. Downloads and web-page access are quick. Camera is simple to operate and the pics are decent enough quality for my purpose.
I like the way it handles messages, in a series of speech bubbles as the conversation develops, and the operator buttons are nice and clear.
External controls are minimal, with a volume switch on one side and a power/sleep button on the other. Headphone socket and charging socket (micro-USB) are on the top.
I find I am charging it every couple of days with light usage (phone / texts / checking e-mail and sports / weather) which is acceptable.
So, in summary; a good starter touchscreen phone that won't break the bank, either in terms of initial cost or data contract, and ideal for an old git like me who wants to access web / mail etc quickly and easily when I want to, but not let a phone take over my life
This phone is aimed at the 'youth' market, hence the 'Y'. I never bought mine from this seller but from another offering £10 O2 airtime on Amazon. . . this is part of my review for the one I bought a few months ago now. . . hopefully you will find it helpful.

I bought this phone for my son for his 14th birthday. I'm not buying him a BlackBerry/HTC or higher spec phone than this as I feel his lifestyle of a lazy swine who doesn't look after his stuff doesn't warrant it plus this is an Android phone and so he still has access to the app market and can tweet, fakebook and whatever other social websites are out there! Can you tell I hate them! :)

The Galaxy Y is a great little device measuring 104 x 58 x 11.5mm and housing a 3-inch QVGA (240x320) TFT touchscreen.

The screen is certainly small compared to my HTC desire HD, but Android 2.3.5 (Gingerbread) still works well -albeit looking rather grainy due to the low-res TFT display but that won't bother him. Pics taken with the onboard camera look okay.

It fits nicely in the hand, the rounded textured back provides a comfortable and firm grip while weighing in at 98g so having a bit of weight to it.

The build quality of the Galaxy Y is sturdy with a solid feel to the handset when pressure is applied. The back cover is plastic but it fits snugly on the phone and when removed feels thick enough to be protective.

There is just one button on the right hand side which is the power/lock key, it is easy to reach when using one handed.

At the the top there is a 3.5mm headphone jack and a covered microUSB port. the cover is easy enough to remove.

On the left of the handset there is a volume rocker switch and a lanyard hole. Inside there is an 830MHz processor powered by a 1200mAh battery. Not the fastest but adequate enough in my opinion.

Samsung have stuck a tight fisted 160MB of internal memory inside which can be upgraded to 32GB with a microSD card. It came with a 2gb card too!

Here's a quick rundown of the specs. . . .3G enabled, WiFi connectivity, Bluetooth, USB connectivity. Android OS version 2.3, 2mp Camera, no autofocus or flash though. You can record video, play music, there is a FM radio too! Running YouTube, social networking sites and playing games such as Angry Birds is all good! Of course you get a charger, 2gb microSD card as mentioned and the USB cable.

If he drops it or loses it or explodes it somehow. . .it won't be the end of the world, for me. For him it will be! :) I love him really! :S
1313 comments|226 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The Galaxy Y is a basic entry level Android handset, and while it might be on an old version of Android it is still worth considering if you're looking for a low cost mobile.

Even with the battery the handset is very light to carry. The screen is OK, nothing special, and overall it feels well build.

This will run most of the major apps you might want, such as Facebook, Twitter etc, without any problems. As mentioned, it does come with an older version of Android and therefore you might want to consider the newer SONY Xperia Tipo UK SIM Free Smartphone - Black.

If you're looking for a handset as a gift, maybe a childs first smartphone, then this is certainly up to the job and doesn't feel like it'll fall to bits the first tie it gets dropped/sat on.

A great little phone for a great little price.
66 comments|357 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 May 2012
Initially bit hesitant to buy this phone but really happy with its performance. It has all the apps of a smart phone. The picture quality is OK. Broadband speed is quite good. My kid is loving wathing comics in it. If you are looking for a phone which has all the features required for a day to day activities, this is the phone. you will love it.
33 comments|79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 August 2012
i researched long and hard before i bought this ,, i am an aging technophobe that reluctantly ,,felt i should get a smart phone, in order to keep up with grown up kids ,,,,my son had given me his iphone but it was too much for me and i was a bit afraid of it ,,,, however this samsung is brilliant and i am downloading apps and using the internet on it like a woman possessed and growing in confidence daily ,,, i love it and would recommend it highly ,,,, only minus point is that you cannot change the message alert tone except from the few already on the phone ,, otherwise an excellent buy
44 comments|71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 December 2012
My young neighbour thinks that I'm now 'very cool' thanks to this phone!! It looks good and works very effectively. For the most part it is straightforward to use, though I have downloaded a manual to keep for reference if needed. The phone/text part works well for me, though the ease of internet access means that I already regret that I retained my pay-as-you-go since this isn't the most cost effective way to use the phone. I did a fair amount of research on different phones before buying this one - I made a good choice!
on 28 February 2013
This is a great little smartphone. Even though it is Android 2.4, so its a bit behind, you won't notice that much. Bought it for my wife as her first smart phone to see if she could get used to it. So far it seems to be working great and I might get one too! The screen is a bit small for modern standards but if you just want to make calls, send texts and check your emails this is just the ticket. The GPS (while using Google Maps/satnav) was great in the car, never lost satellite lock. Much better than my old HTC wildfire I had a year or so ago. Battery life isn't too bad either, lasts about 2-3 days, but we have a car charger now so that tops it up during journeys to/from work. We've got giffgaff (unlimited data), plugged it in to this unlocked phone and it worked straight away!
on 5 October 2012
Bought this for my 11-year-old daughter. It has all the basics of a smart phone but at a much cheaper price. Very light and good small size to fit into my daughter's hand. It works perfectly so far and the delivery was very prompt by Amazon.
on 6 September 2012
Good value for money phone. Arrived early and was easy to set up. I would recommend purchasing if you want a smart phone but don't want to spend hundreds of pounds.