5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Great Smart Phone!
I bought this phone a week ago, and there had not been any user reviews on this phone since then. As I really really like this phone, I think I am obligated to provide some reviews to help the others.

Published on 24 Oct 2011 by Timmy

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Sure
Bought this phone new???? Sim free pay as you go. Found that I could not get on to the internet, went to the 02 shop and they were very helpful, was a little surprised when the shop assistant informed me that this was a contract phone???? or was initially set up as a contract phone.......So is the phone brand new? or not, that is what I am unsure about. Anyway the...
Published 22 months ago by Donna

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Great Smart Phone!, 24 Oct 2011
This review is from: Samsung I8150 Galaxy W Sim Free Smartphone (Wireless Phone Accessory)

Prior to my purchase, I did some research between this phone, Galaxy S2 and HTC Desire S for roughly two weeks. At the end I had decided to go with this one, and yes I think IT WAS THE RIGHT CHOICE! (*huge grin*)

Comparison
-------------------------

Although on Amazon it said this phone would be released on the 18th October, for some reason Galaxy W was already available in the O2, Carphone Warehouse and 3 shops! so I had a chance to look at the phone physically. The reason that I didn't go for Galaxy S2 was I think it was slightly too big. Yes it is really powerful but I don't need all of those powerful ability and I found it a bit noticeably big to carry around. Also I didn't go for HTC Desire S as, to be honest, in my really personally opinion, I didn't think the Desire S looks good in the 'Uni-body' design, I preferred the old Desire S design. I could not get used to the four captive buttons at the bottom (but I found Galaxy W's two captive buttons were totally intuitive to me) and I found that there are some performance issues with the user interface too, for example the screen transition is not as smooth as an iPhone. On the other hand, with 1.4 GHz processor I think the user experience of the UI on the Galaxy W, especially the smoothness of the UI, is really really close to the iPhones IOS.

The Galaxy W is roughly as big as the HTC Desire S, but it is lighter (quite a lot lighter), a bit thinner, and prettier I think. Again the look is really subjective I think. But the mesh look and feel of the plastic back cover really works, I think. Unlike in some video preview the guy thought it feels cheap, I think it feels solid, firm and looks great.

Performance
-------------------------

I am a software engineer, and my colleagues sometimes referred me as the 'Performance Freak'. OK I admit, I cannot tolerate low performance electronic gadgets. But Galaxy W, is absolutely blowing my head off. For last 7 days of usage, I had never found any performance issues. All tasks have been running smoothly (note they are in the multi-threaded environment, and strictly speaking iPhone isn't!); UI has not been frozen up or anything like that, and has always been responsive; Not a single system failure, the Android system has been stable for last 7 days.

Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja have been running smoothly as well, no lagging whatsoever. Comparing to this, Angry Birds on Galaxy Ace does not run smoothly though!

Display
-------------------------

The display of Galaxy W is really impressive. I have to say, it is not as good as iPhone or Samsung Galaxy S2, and not as good as Sony Xperia Arc. However it's good enough for £270 middle range smartphone, it is not a high-end phone after all. The Print-On-Paper effect is pretty obvious on the Galaxy W LCD I found, makes the text both sharp and soft (not contradictory I think!) and the pictures really bright and stand out.

One of my colleagues commented on my phone today, he said "Your phone's display looks much better than my HTC Wild Fire S". Please note during the day I set the brightness of the phone as quite dim but he still reckon it's better. I think the problem of HTC Wild Fire S is that the picture looks quite far away from the glass, so there is a gap in between consequently it doesn't look as good?

Battery
-------------------------

It comes with a 1500 mAh battery, well, not a lot I can say, nothing surprising unfortunately. As I know that, with heavy usages, e.g. lots of gaming, GPS and internet browsing, it won't last a day. Normal internet browsing, some facebook posts, some music, maybe it will last a day and a bit. There are loads of APPs to optimize your battery performance anyway, so please look into that if you are interested.

For last three days I've not played with the phone a lot, as I've been a bit busy last weekend, and not had a chance to play with it. I managed to use only 25% of the battery on day one, 35% on day two, and if I really pushed it, I think it would've lasted over three days. Oh well, I only made two short phone calls I must admit.

Others
-------------------------

I found the internal memory is quite generous. I can't remember what the quoted internal memory was, but when the phone arrived, there were roughly 2.7 GB of available space on it. I was told this is much more than the HTC Desire S? My mate told me he struggled for the available internal memory all the time.

Software, well, what can I say, it's an Android system you know. It's all about the freedom, you can copy in or out anything you want, install anything you want. On top of that, I found the built-in Samsung's Kies Air software is really useful though, you can use it to sync files (photos, music, apps, phone books, SMS and any files) wirelessly with your PC. It's easy for a quick drop of stuff, when you are feeling lazy to plug it into the PC. I installed a number of useful apps from the Android App Market, namely the 'Go' series, Winamp, Advanced Task Killer etc. Consult any Android forum you will know which ones I am talking about.

-------------------------
Conclusion
-------------------------

To conclude, as the title says, I think Samsung Galaxy W is a great smartphone and this is definitely my best gadget I bought this year. If you are looking for a middle range, middle spec'ed, middle priced phone, I think it's one of the most popular choices. I chose it over HTC Desire S (with similar spec and price), and I am glad I did. Finally I hope this review could be useful to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Galaxy W, 4 Nov 2011
I decided to get this phone having read Timmy's review and having looked at a lot of alternatives (HTC Desire, Samsung Ace and Mini etc). It's my first Smartphone (I've been a Nokia user for years) and I'm no computer wizard. I've had it for 3/4 days and am enormously impressed with it's power and versatility. The Android marketplace is vast with all sorts of apps to rival I-Tunes and it seems to be cheaper. So far I've only done the basics; downloaded a couple of apps, linked to the car radio via Bluetooth for hands-free, sorted my e-mails to come direct to the phone etc. Everything has worked fine and is quite intuitive even for someone like me with average computer skills. I downloaded the handbook from the Samsung site,as the instructions that come with the phone are pretty sparse, I'm in the generation that likes an instruction book with new gadgets) and it's very comprehensive.
I'm very happy with my choice and there's still lots of capability that I havn't explored. I'm confident that the technology will cope with whatever comes up over the next couple of years. I'm sufficently impressed to be considering buying another one for my daughter for Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars First smartphone - very impressed., 18 Dec 2011
I was initially skeptical about the benefits of owning a smartphone, having gotten by with conventional phones (e.g Nokia 6310i, Samsung D600, D900 & Tocco Ultra) without feeling as if I was missing out on anything. However, having now owned the Samsung I8150 for only a short time, I am very impressed with the additional functionality it offers over non-smartphones. I would recommend the Samsung Galaxy W I8150 to all levels of users for a multitude of reasons.

For those who just want a normal mobile phone for phone calls and text messages, this phone will do this with some nice added touches. The phone book and your call history are accessed through touch sensitive display, and can be viewed / interrogated with ease to find the information you want. Texting is very quick and easy, courtesy of the qwerty touch screen that appears when composing a message. Texts can be typed in landscape or portrait orientation (this gives larger virtual keys in landscape mode). Another nice touch is the way in which texts are stored as threaded conversations, rather than multiple disparate entries in an inbox or sentbox.

If you fall into this category and are concerned about battery life, you can opt to disable many of the features of the phone (WIFI, etc) that consume battery power and reduce the brightness of the dislay, thereby lengthening battery life to several days between charges.

The phone also includes a 5MP camera which can take pictures and video footage either facing away from you or toward you. The interface is very user friendly, with storage being to the phone's internal memory or to an microSD card. Photos can be transferred to pc using the Samsung Kies software, which can also transfer your existing phonebook contact details through a usb cable or wirelessly.

For intermediate users, the android smartphone can be used to access email and internet on the move (via 3G or WIFI). And by setting up a googlemail account (a very easy 5 minute process) you can access their Android Market to download and install applications for just about everything! I have not downloaded many yet, but can see their potential use. For instance, train operating companies usually provide a free app that provides update information on services. Amazon also have a free app which enables you to read their kindle downloads on your mobile phone.

I have yet to grapple with the more complex features of the phone, which includes gps maps along with hubs for social network users (facebook, twitter, etc) and media files. Having visited the Samsung website, I downloaded the 7MB pdf manual which is now stored on my phone for reference.

In summary, I think the Samsung Galaxy W offers significant functionality over non-smartphones whilst not incurring the up-front expense (or contract commitments) of phones having better technical specifications (e.g. the Galaxy SII, with its SuperAMOLED screen). Whilst perhaps not having quite the same kudos as the SII or the iphone4, in my opinion it offers the optimum balance between functionality, cost and style. SAR rate is pretty low, build quality is nice, and the phone is slightly smaller than the aforementioned top end spec phones. Size isn't everything!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone in the £250 price range., 23 Nov 2011
Before release of the W I was looking at getting either the Galaxy Ace or the Galaxy S2 (I'd also looked at similar spec HTC's, but preferred the Samsung designs). The Galaxy Ace seemed like a great phone but I really wanted the extra features of the S2, like higher screen resolution and browser Flash support, but didn't want to pay £500 (I don't do contracts). I decided to wait for the W, and I definately made the right choice.

The phone is positioned perfectly as a mid-range between the Ace and the S2, but is actually much better than the price would suggest in my opinion, and certainly closer to the S2 than the Ace. Essentially you are getting all the good features of the S2 for half the price. The main difference is obviously the screen, but Super Amoled is always going to look better, that's why it's double the price! Then of course there's slightly less internal memory, single vs. dual core processor, and 8MP Camera with 1080p video vs. 5MP camera with 720p video. But these were all compromises I was happy to make for the price difference.

It's still a great display though, and the same high resolution as the S2 means text and images are sharp and clear, unlike the Ace which I thought was a bit too 'pixelly' for my taste, and didn't provide the same legibility as the W. I'd never considered reading books on this phone, but after playing around with Kindle and Google Books, I was pleasantly surprised how good it was. The display also makes web browsing a joy, and the 1.4GHz processor ensures that everything is smooth and responsive. Pinch-zooming and page scrolling is lag-free, and I haven't yet found a website (even full non-mobile sites) that this phone has problems with.

Some people have described this phone as 'plasticy' or feeling cheap, but I really don't see why. To me the phone feels solid and reassuringly heavy, with a nicely textured back giving a great grip. I think perhaps too many people compare to the iPhone, but for me 'plastic' isn't a bad thing.

So, any negatives? Well only a few minors.

Battery life could be better I suppose. A full charge goes down to about half after a few hours of heavy usage e.g. browsing, downloading, gaming, camera, etc. But being a new toy I'm using it a lot more than I guess is normal. Sticking the charger in each night at bedtime is no big deal.

Also, camera pictures aren't quite as 'sharp' as I expected, slighty more grainy and softer edges when compared to my actual Fuji 5MP camera. But I'm really being picky here, it's certainly not what I would call bad.

Overall I'm delighted with my new phone, and I would recommend this phone to anyone shopping for a mid-high range Android phone. There really is nothing out there at the moment in this price range to beat it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, you can't get anything better for this money!, 5 Nov 2011
Yes, there are better phones on the market - htc sensation, S2 just to mention a couple. Question I asked myself is, do I want to spend £400-500 on the best phone on the market if in about six months something better and newer will come up anyway? Simple answer. No. It's just a phone at the and of the day...

W is not dual core but 1.4Mhz, trust me it does the job, this is a core you had in your laptop not long ago.

5MP camera -takes decent pictures, do you need 8MP? - if you are planning to print large posters then yes, but then you'd do better buying a dslr camera.. otherwise, trust me 5MP is just what you need.

3.7"- yes, I know, google nexus is 4.6" but even with my massive hands this size is enough for me.

For me this phone is missing a can opener and build in screwdriver, but if you need these, wait for the iphone 5 , there are rumors it will have them.

You can't go wrong with W, you won't find anything better for £249

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this phone!, 13 Dec 2011
Paul Madge (Uk) - See all my reviews
I wanted to move up to a smartphone mainly to access e-mails on the move, view the odd video and install applications like a QR/barcode reader. I looked at the iPhone and Galaxy S2 but considered them far too expensive now that I've retired. I then saw the Galaxy W which is billed as a medium class smartphone, and, after a week of living with it, I am delighted. It is a naturally intuitive phone to use despite its many functions - it uses Android overlayed with a very logical Samsung interface.

The phone is inclined to look a bit bland but sleek - save a Samsung logo and a bit of chrome around the home key it's all black but soon comes to life when you press the home key. Once "woken up" there are two additional illuminated touch keys for functions and to return. The screen is a 3.7 inch high resolution one but it is not the coveted AmoLED type used on the Galaxy S2, although, it looks very crisp and clear to me. The ergonomics are excellent and the capacitive display is highly responsive with smooth graphics. There are two cameras; a forward facing one for video calls; and; a rear mounted 5Mp "main camera" which gives excellent results and includes autofocus and HD video.

Call reception is loud and clear and the Bluetooth synchs easily with my Audi A1. The sound is also good with ringtones and audio sounding loud and clear through the supplied headphones or on board speaker. The GPS is the best I have used on a phone. Battery life is like every other smartphone - if you don't use many of the functions or, leave items like GPS and Bluetooth on it will last a couple days before needing a charge, but, if you do use applications heavily, it will only last a day or so before needing a charge. You can synch and charge this phone with your PC by downloading Samsung's Kies software which has been refined considerably of late.

If you do buy this phone - remember to update the firmware and ensure you install some kind of mobile security protection.

In my view this phone delivers to a high standard at a very reasonable price - I really like it. Recommended.

Update - 18 months on. I'm still delighted with this phone and it works faultlessly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A pocket computer that happens to be a phone as well, 17 April 2012
I love gadgets but for some years thought I could really do without a smartphone. Then recently I upgraded my Virgin Media land-line contract to give free calls all day. This move was followed a couple of days later by an offer from VM of various mobile phone contracts that I had then become eligible for. One of these was for a Galaxy W with 100 mins, 500 texts and 500 mb downloads for £12.99 per month over 24 months, a total of £312 for two years of smartphoning so I went for it! How did I ever survive without it?! I had read criticisms of the battery life so I bought a spare battery that I keep fully charged, but I have never needed it. I fitted a 32 gb card which means it is now my mp3 player, and a very good one. I use it as my satnav and it works very well, immediately responding to any errors of mine. With Maverick I use it as my walking and cycling guide (you can download all the OS maps for the UK, find out exactly where you are and record your journey). I take pictures and high quality video with it, not as good as my dedicated devices but perfectly acceptable and much easier to carry. I listen to the radio on it, any channel in the world so long as I am in 3g contact. I browse the net, check my emails, look at Youtube videos, read the Guardian, watch TV on iPlayer and myPlayer, check things on Wikipedia, Skype my grand-children and when I go skiing I recorded all my runs and keep a check on where I am via Satski. Fantastic! And what is more I am continually introduced to new possibilities as new aps become available. Heaven knows what I will be doing through it in a year's time. I have to pinch myself occasionally when I realise that I am getting all this functionality for at least two years for a total of £340 with the micro-sd card (despite all this use, by making sure I wi-fi whenever I can, I have never used up any of my monthly allowances in the three months I've owned it). I cannot recommend this device highly enough. Oh, and by the way, you can make phone-calls with it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Galaxy W, 13 Feb 2012
Bought this just before Christmas and, although Amazon warned it probably wouldn't arrive before 25th December, it did! It's my first smart phone and is a really good one. Mainly I wanted the ability to surf the web and it does that well. I wanted a large screen because of my eyesight. I still need the reading glasses but the resolution of the screen is fine. It was amazingly easy to set up my e-mails on it so now I can check e-mails when away from my computer. The touch screen is very sensitive and I carry the phone in my trouser pocket so I bought some stick-on sheets to protect the screen from rubbing against keys or coins. This is working well and is practically invisible. It has a good camera although the zoom is very small and non-existent at maximum resolution. Had a bit of trouble connecting to a computer with the usb cable until I discovered on the web somewhere that the trick is to tell the phone to connect first and then plug in the cable! Now it's easy to copy photos to the pc.

Only real negative is that sometimes the screen icons get pressed by accident while the phone is in my pocket so it changes settings or logs on to something by itself! There is a screen lock that is supposed to prevent this but it can unlock itself eg when a text or call arrives or when one of the real keys gets presssed. It is also possible to press icons in error when picking it up to use it - handle with care at the edges!

4.0 out of 5 stars Super Slick and Value for money, 11 Nov 2011
I've owned the phone for 2 weeks now, and it's surpassed all my expectations. It's silky smooth, no unexpected crashes, and screen quality/resolution is very good. Excellent value for money at half the price of the S2.

I went for this rather than the S2, because its a handy size, and just as fast. I cant see many apps making use of the dual core abilities of the S2. I added a 32GB external card, but the internal 2GB+1GB is sufficent for most users. If you do synch to PC using Kies, dont forget to unmount the external storage card, as it wouldn't connect otherwise (also had to troubleshoot/re-install Kies drivers again).

This is my first smartphone, previous setup was separate PDA and Phone. As a phone it works well, good clear ringer/mic and highly configurable. Battery life is much better when you switch off packet data (using 2G-3G widget). With packet data off, and clearing memory in task manager CPU memory usage drops down to 200MB in use (out of 500). I switch on packet data as and when required. I dont trust background task communication. Android market has plenty of free useful apps.

One annoying thing with Android s/w is that SMSing google contacts lists both email and SMS numbers for the same contact.

No regrets, well pleased with this purchase, and a highly recommended bit of kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Galaxy of Difference, 23 Jan 2012
Mr. S. A. Smith (Southwick, UK) - See all my reviews
What a great phone. I wasn't in the market for a 4.3 inch monster and the screen size on the W is a happy medium. Text appears crisp and the colours really pop. In terms of speed, the phone is comparable to an overclocked Galaxy S 1. Everything runs smoothly and there is no lag. It runs the most demanding applications and the full flash browser is simply brilliant.

The built and form factor are average but functional. The camera is great (although it struggles a little in low light). Video recording looks good and I've used it on several trips with good results.

Coming from the rather feeble HTC Wildfire, my opinion of Android was very low. Having owned an iPhone previously, it felt cheap, nasty and under developed. It's now apparent that it was the hardware, not the software that let me down. I'm now a convert and Apple will have to offer something a lot more substantial than a talking assistant to win me back.

Lastly, the price. This is a bargain! It is basically an iphone 4 without the trimmings. Do not be put off by the single core processor as the clock speed more than makes up for things and it does not drain the battery as much.

Samsung I8150 Galaxy W Sim Free Smartphone