on 7 January 2015
These are genteel, amusing mystery tales with octogenarian Myrtle Clover sleuthing her way through a whole host of suspects. Snooping and listening to gossip in her home town, and her ability to assemble those juicy bits of info to work out the who and the why, keep me interested till the end, though I had an inkling of who-done-it towards the end. A recommended, amusing and enjoyable read.
on 14 April 2015
I thought I would give this book a try. a easy to follow, however.s I have never read one by this author. It was good and I got into the book straight away. The story was easy to follow, however, I found it got boring about halfway through. I continued reading and thankfully it got better. I shall get another of these books and hope that I don't get bored!
on 19 June 2013
This took a long time to develop and wasn't very exciting. If you like your crime fiction delivered at a nice low level violence and no big pact ending then this would suit. An elderly Miss Marple type investigates but without Christies pace and flare.
on 23 March 2014
I really like the Myrtle Clover mysteries - I would definitely read this author again. It's sort of Mrs Marple with attitude, I would recommend this to readers of murder mystery who like some humour thrown in for good measure
on 20 July 2013
As a book suggested to me it was not one of my normal ones i would choose. Story was full of little twists and had some black humour in it as the 'little old lady' sought out the killer before the local police.
on 21 July 2013
I started to read this book and expected the getting to know the characters stage to end and the good read to start. It didn't happen and worse i found the characters and the book boring.
on 13 May 2013
Myrtle Clover is an elderly, nosy resident of the small American town of Bradley. Unashamedly based on Agatha Christie's
Miss Marple and using the standard puzzle format, the violent deaths of Myrtle's neighbours are amazingly frequent. Myrtle herself has a less than pleasant personality and apart from her long-suffering gentleman friend, she has a tendency to look down on most of the Bradley inhabitants. Despite employing Puddin, her regular but incompetent cleaner, Myrtle asks her neighbour, Jill, to help out. Jill proves to be a brilliant cleaner but promptly gets herself murdered with her drunken husband the most likely suspect. When he, too, is murdered, the list of suspects widens and Myrtle is apparently the only person able to uncover the true culprit. This is the second Myrtle Clover book I've read and although an improvement on the first, not by much. Nevertheless, it did keep me reading to the end although it would have been better if there had been fewer references to super sleuthing, less admiration for Myrtle's crime solving abilities and more likeable characters.
on 18 June 2013
Well, I finished it but it was a struggle. It was alright, but I'll never read it again. Still, I decided to read the next mystery. Another two star review!
on 7 October 2013
This Kindle book was unusual (an octogenarian ex teacher in North Carolina) but not the most literary style. I did finish it, so it held my interest.
on 1 June 2013
Disjointed American attempt at a Miss Marple mystery that lurches from one situation to another during chapters, which doesn't help the weak plot.