5.0 out of 5 stars most helpful
Published on 18 Mar. 2012 by lh

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read
Good honest opinions on personal views/experiences in regards to autism and the challenges faced. This book is not for everyone you have to read it without getting riled up and understand it's just one person's outlook.
Published 22 months ago by Tracey Phillips

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars most helpful, 18 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Autism By Hand (Kindle Edition)
I am the grandparent of an autistic child and this has been the most helpful book on the subject I have found. It spells out in every day language some practical things one parent found that helped her child. As the author herself points out, nothing helps every child but at least she provides a starting point. So much of the information written on the subject is of the " your child is just terrific as he is so what if he never talks or uses the toilet" variety or even worse " its hopeless so just live with it". Thank you, Lorca for disproving both ideas for those of us who want the autistic people in our lives to live and function in the real world with us. I hope to see a sequel with practical advice for grandparents who want to be helpful but don't really know how.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 31 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Autism By Hand (Kindle Edition)
I don't have autistic children so can't say how I would feel about this book if I did but I did like how it was straight to the point and helped me understand autism more and in particular how individual it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Short, Sweet, Succinct., 9 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Autism By Hand (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book. Written by Lorca Damon. It gives a great insight into her life and that of her autistic daughter Carrie. Her language is very to the point, she does not pretty things up with complicated long words that will confuse or baffle, rather, she gives insightful perceptions and real experiences that give the reader soemthing to grab hold of. I am a mother of a six year old Autistic girl who has Aspergers. Although much of what is written here is not pertinent to my child, I did find a lot of helpful hints and tips, things I could adapt to my daughter's upbringing. I hope there is a sequal, meaning, I hope that we get to read more on how Lorca uses the various techniques she has found invaluable in aiding Cassie as she gets older.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you, Jesus, for sending me this book., 20 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Autism By Hand (Kindle Edition)
Although I bought the e-version of this book on the US' Amazon, I checked to see if the print version was available while looking for a UK-produced DVD (hey, ladies? Check this out! [...] Most fun I've had since high school!). I read the reviews, and after doing so, felt compelled to post my review of the book on the UK site, as well. So here it is.

As a teacher who works with special needs children, I have felt at times like a blind man on a Manhattan sidewalk. Without a dog. Or even a red-tipped cane. There are a million theory-laden textbooks on autism available to me, and another million "I'm okay, you're okay" feel-good tomes. Neither of these serves as much help when I am responsible for getting a screaming, non-verbal, 175-pound pound young man, one who recoils when touched, through the jam-packed hallways, past the shrieking fire alarm, and out the school's front door. Good God, give me guidance.

My prayers were answered when I found Autism by Hand. I have never before seen such a practical, pin-pointed guide on how to help a special needs child. Rather than vague, swooping suggestions, this book gets into the nitty-gritty. It told me that, in order to communicate with an autistic child, I should get some mirrored, wrap-around sunglasses, because "the glasses...block out a large portion of the overwhelming information that is provided by the human face." It goes on to detail said face from the autistic kid's point of view: the fluttering lashes, spiky stray eyebrow hairs, weird colorful makeup, and freaky lines angling out from the sides of your eyes. As a backup plan, the author says, "When my glasses were not handy, I have even just planted myself in front of my daughter and talked to her with my eyes closed, just so she wouldn't be so overpowered by the intensity that is the human eye." In short, I'm not left to figure anything out for myself.

A superfine added bonus is that the book is funny as hell. The author pulls no punches in relation to her husband, her child, society at large...or herself. LOVE a self-satirizing author. Sorry to get all scholarly on ya and give another quote, but you'll be grateful I did after reading this: "Let me tell you a really funny story about how my own parents almost had Social Services take my children away to foster care." She goes on to describe a day at the hell that is Chuck E Cheese, and her own manically-frustrated effort to get her autistic daughter to try "something that was outside of the three categories she willingly ate." The author was trying to expand her daughter's world while still being human. It was, shall we say, an "awkward" moment.

In her willingness to shine a spotlight on her own less-than-shiny parenting moments, she gives the rest of us that spa-day feeling of, "oh, so I AM normal if I get that friekin frustrated battling the Mighty Autie Demon." There is, I believe, no greater gift.

And for that, we can all thank Jesus.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books on Autism!, 13 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Autism By Hand (Kindle Edition)
Lorca Damon gives a real insight to her life and the life of her daughter Carrie. As someone with Autism it was wonderful reading this book from a parents perspective. There are some humorous parts topped off by her hilarious sarcastic comments! Great read, Really recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Realistic view of autism -- a must read!, 18 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Autism By Hand (Kindle Edition)
I love that this book is not the 'unicorns and rainbows' view of autism that people tout. Yes, people with autism are people, too. Of course they are. But what Lorca Damon discusses is the reality of raising a child in a society where she'll not be made to feel special. Where people won't always make her feel special because she doesn't recognize that. Where not everyone will love her like her family does. Like it or not, Ms. Damon is a realist. And she's FUNNY.

For anyone who can handle the truth, this is a great book for you. If you want your autism wrapped in pink cotton candy, look elsewhere.

Rachel Thompson, Author, The Mancode: Exposed and A Walk in the Snark

4.0 out of 5 stars Autism by hand, 25 May 2013
This review is from: Autism By Hand (Kindle Edition)
I ordered this book for my kindle, to read on holiday. I must say this book was most informative about autism. Very interesting. Thankyou very much.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 16 April 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 16 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Autism By Hand (Kindle Edition)
This is the first book I've read in a long time as comprehensive and realistic. Lorca Damon is truthful, heartfelt, and you an really tell she's done her research. I'm surprised I saw a one-star review here, and I can only assume it's from someone who doesn't have the education or experience to review this type of material. Simply brilliant, Lorca. I applaud you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent practical advice on managing life with an autistic child., 12 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Autism By Hand (Kindle Edition)
Written pragmatically and pulls no punches. Life with an autistic child really drive adults to such techniques, it mirrors my own experience . . . wish it had been available years ago, (or perhaps I should have written it then).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›