5.0 out of 5 stars Initial Struggles Soon Fixed
Well, just bought this SX535WD and here's what I think:
This was bought to replace my previously excellent SX425 (which was given to my granddaughter for school work). The software installed and the printer worked straight out of the box - but not for long.....
Published on 6 Jan. 2012 by Big Hair

3.0 out of 5 stars great little printer but
Published on 29 April 2012 by Chris B

5.0 out of 5 stars Initial Struggles Soon Fixed, 6 Jan. 2012
Big Hair "John" (Cumbria, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Epson Stylus Sx535Wd All-In-One Printer with Wifi and Double Side Printing (Print, Copy and Scan) (Accessory)
Well, just bought this SX535WD and here's what I think:
Started having a persistent problem with my Laptop not being able to see the printer via my BT HomeHub 2. Of course assumed this was a firewall problem, although during installation an option is given (and must be taken) to allow the Epson programs through. To cut a long story short the fault was mine and mine alone....
I hadn't completely removed and uninstalled all drivers, printers and software from my previous SX425. So I performed a system-restore (Windows 7) to before installation of the 535 and set about it. Removed all traces of Epson from my Laptop - reinstalled the 535 and have had perfect performance thus far.

The points below are from the perspective of a former owner (me) of an Epson SX425.

Likes:
*Paper tray means reduced 'headroom' needed for the printer (I just slip it forward a touch when scanning).
*New shape (no sloping panels - all under scanner-lid's footprint) greatly reduces how much dust this printer catches.
*Screen/control 'flap' opens nicely and seems sturdy enough.
*Installation very quick and easy (my above mistakes notwithstanding of course!).
*WiFi range and connection works perfectly all over my house and connects in about 10 seconds.
*It's considerably faster AND quieter than the SX425. (especially the paper transport).
*Scanner works perfectly and quickly (at least as fast as SX425 but haven't really compared this).
******* The double-sided printing works like a dream, is fast and very useful indeed - no more waiting for the first sides, turning the paper, putting it back into the (upright) paper-rack (of the SX425) and waiting all over again with seriously crossed fingers. This feature works perfectly and is definately worth buying this model for.

Reservations (couldn't really call them dislikes):
*The scanner 'lid' is a bit flimsy and flexes a little too much I think, although so far this hasn't affected any scans in any way - just a personal feeling really.
*The paper tray has sliders that position the sheets centrally in the tray and they seem a bit flimsy. They look like they may be a little awkward when using smaller papers than A4 (envelopes for example) - but I haven't tried this yet.

The above is only my experience after light use of this printer but should hold true if my previous SX425 is anything to judge by.

Oh yes - put an SD card from my camera into the slot (front bottom left) and the printer 'loaded the photos' immediately. The SD appears as a network drive on my PC and can be written-to and read-from with no problems - worked fine.

John B

4.0 out of 5 stars Good little printer so far, 16 Jan. 2012
I wanted a basic colour printer for light home use on which I could also print the odd photo. This was in addition to my main B&W laser. I also wanted the printer to be networkable as I have a variety of devices at home which I wanted to use with this printer (Win/Mac/IOS). To have that much for this money (£67+free delivery) is great. As a bonus it has wifi and can scan, copy, and duplex! This is a refined product which was easy to set up with good print quality too. I am a light user however so for heavy use I would have got something more expensive. The software experience is also better than most. No addon programs you wont need, a concise and well designed web installer, top notch scanning utility too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Front loading paper feed, 19 Jan. 2012
S. D. Southam "Shereen" (Essex) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The front loading paper feed tray might be a distinct advantage if the printer is on a low shelf and you cannot easily get to a rear loading paper tray. But I find it EXTREMELY fiddly compared to the simple, top/rear paper feed on all my previous (single function) Epson printers, where you just drop the paper in to the rear paper holder. This is because the paper feed tray on the Epson SX535WD is situated beneath the paper output tray and you have to push the output tray in fully, in order to be able to pull the paper feed tray out far enough to load the paper. You then have to push the feed tray back in slowly and pull the paper output tray out again. Now this might not be too much of a problem if you only or usually print text documents. But if you ever or regularly wish to alternate between photo printing (on photo papers) and text printing (on plain paper) as I did yesterday, this routine quickly becomes irritating and very time consuming!

When I first tried to print out a plain, black and white text document, I was so horrified by the fact that it was so faint that you could hardly read it and also by the truly deafening noise the printer made whilst printing it, that I initially thought I had made a HUGE mistake in buying this Epson SX535WD! But after a quick look at the print settings, I discovered that the default print setting was Fast print with the quality set as economy. And once I had changed that to Fine, documents then printed out nice and clear with excellent contrast between the black of the text and the white of the paper :-)

Next I tried using the Epson Easy Photo Print facility and on the whole I was very impressed with the amount of adjustments you could make, just with the Epson interface! These include

1) Selecting or changing the paper size
2) how many borderless prints you want on each page
3) adjusting the printer's print quality settings
4) choosing the "scene" ie: standard, people, landscape and night scene
5) Digital camera correction
6) Fixing Red eye, either automatic or manually
7) Portrait Enhance, with which you can increase face definition and skin vibrancy - and even apply a slimming effect!

And every adjustment you make in the Easy Photo Print interface can be applied to the currently displayed image or to ALL the images you are about to print :-) All this makes photo printing very easy. But know that if you choose Best Quality, photos will take AGES to print out :-(

In scanning mode the interface can either be used in Fully Automatic mode, which will rapidly scan the whole document or photo to your pre-selected Save location. OR it can be used in Home, Office, which allows the user to lighten/darken and crop images or Professional Mode which allows the user to change the overall hue of the document and make many other adjustments. Excellent :-)

The front panel displays helpful information about the current printing job etc and can be used to scan X number of copies of a photo or document, which if you choose Copy, are then sent directly to the printer! And copying and printing out scanned documents onto plain paper is very fast indeed :-) Alternatively, you can choose Scan to have them sent to the default Save Location. Excellent.

The only big drawback with Epson printers is that the printheads are on the printer itself and these can and DO get blocked very quickly if you do not use your printer to print out full colour documents regularly :-( The up-side of having the printhead on the printer is that you can get cheap, compatible ink cartridges for all Epson printers :-) Whereas because the printheads are on Canon and HP ink cartridges rather than on their printers, compatible cartridges are more expensive. The upside of having the printheads on the cartridges is that if they do get blocked due to infrequent use, you can just buy a new set of cartridges complete with their brand new, free-flowing printheads!

5.0 out of 5 stars really really easy to set up, 10 Feb. 2012
I spent quite a long time reviewing printers online and settled on the SX535WD as a which best buy and the three year cost of running looked good. Further research indicated that amazon had the best price. Just before I ordered i read the reviews about set up and nearly changed my mind. I am so glad I didnt! It took me well under an hour to set up- all instructions were really easy to follow. You don't need a USB cable (per earlier reviewer) as it can all be done using your wifi network. I have also set up to print from my ipad. I am not particulary IT literate and think anyone should be able to set this up pretty quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent printing at a good price, 23 Feb. 2012
I think its been pretty much said already but this is a very good printer.

I've recently replaced my old R300, where a full set of Epson inks would set one back nearly £90!! Compared to that the printing costs for this printer is a bargain! Not the cheapest inks at around £40 a set but still a good price (especially compared to the R300 prices!).

Its nice having a printer with a paper tray as this keeps paper out of the way, as well as reducing the over all height of the printer. While the printer is wider than the R300, it really doesnt take up the much more space.

Anyway, the printer does come in quite a big box but once everything is out of the box it was a breeze to set up and get going. I have a Mac and it was a peice of cake to set up with the supplied disk. Connecting the printer to the wireless network was straightward and then connecting the Mac to the printer was done for my by the setup software that came with the printer. Epson have made it as simple as possible to set this printer up!

Printing is fast and quiet too. The kids have already found the scan to pc function and have been changing the desktop almost daily with their drawings :)

Over all its a very, VERY good printer with good print costs and results!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good Printer, 1 Mar. 2012
Dave 1410 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a very good Printer and it is so easy to setup. It took about 20 mins from start to finsh to open the Printer and set it up on the p.c. The wifi works very well and it is also a quick Printer. The scan and copy function also is quick. I have not tried the double sided printing yet, however i think it will make live a lot easier than printing one side then putting the paper back in to print the other.
The paper goes in a drawer below the printer which is a very good idea as it is not stuck up. The three ways of connection are wifi, usb and Ethernet. I have always had Epson Printers and each time you get a new one they seem better and quicker. I would highly recomend this Printer to anybody for good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars PC & Mac Friendly!, 30 Jan. 2012
R. Katbamna (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Was looking for a replacement all-in-one printer after my Lexmark was no longer compatible with my MacBook Pro (after upgrading to Snow Leopard 10.6+).

I searched greatly and took a chance with the SX535WD. To my relief, the printer installed effortlessly on my MacBook Pro and is working perfectly both via USB and Wifi. Simple and easy instructions to follow - no excuses.

The scan/copier is pretty damn fast and the printer is also of good speed. The quality is great in terms of the print.

The printer is also great-looking - matched by a user-friendly interface on the LCD screen.

Having never owned a Wifi printer before, this is a great choice to step up from wired to wireless. To add, there is also the option to print via bluetooth although I will most likely find that Wifi is the more usable option.

Also, I saved money on ink as they printer came with 4 ink cartridges (black, cyan, yellow and blue).

The printer is equally simple to install on multiple computers to use via Wifi - having just performed this on my brother and mother's laptops.

I also understand that the printer is compatible with Mac Lion OSX - bonus!

3.0 out of 5 stars great little printer but, 29 April 2012
A word of warning...setting up the wireless connection to my BThub3 was a nightmare. If the setup utility provided with the printer works then fine but if it does not then most people will find themselves needing to spend a considerable amount of time reading largely irrelevant information from the website and inneffective chat line help. Eventually I cracked it - but by doing exactly the opposite of one of the key instructions 'do not connect the usb cable unless instructed' I was so frustrated that I lodged a formal complaint with Epson and got the brush off. Dont get me wrong, its a great printer for the money at Amazon Prices and if you plan to use a usb rather than wireless connection you will not encounter problems. Once setup the AirPrint system works well with iphone4 and ipad3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epson SX535WD, 24 Nov. 2011
E. J. Dobinson (UK) - See all my reviews
First all-in-one printer that I have bought. Wanted this model because of the auto-duplex and wifi. Have had it just a day but first impressions are very good. It was delivered earlier that I expected. Print quality is good and speed is reasonable. Very easy to set up on multiple pcs. Was able to quickly set up Epson iPrint with Android smartphone and iPad. Printer also supports printing by e-mail to it. Tried this out and it works well. Too early to state anything about running costs but high yield cartridges promise to reduce these from my previous Epson printer. One con is about the instructions for loading paper. It doesn't matter with plain paper which side is up in the paper tray but with headed paper or photo paper the side which is to be printed on must be face down in the paper tray. This isn't mentioned in the instructions and my first photo print was a mess.

Bottom line is that, although early days, I am very pleased with the purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast and compact, 6 Jan. 2012
James Lever (Brighton & Hove, UK) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a printer to replace a 6 year old USB HP printer I had. I've had experience with various printers, HP are generally work horses but I've found the newer home budget versions tend to have problems with paper feeding, and they often lack an interface to tell you whats actually wrong. Having also used Epson printers, I went for a mid-range Epson, separate colours (this has 4 cartridges) my deciding factor for this model was that it stores paper below it, and not sticking out the back in the air, its wifi and has duplex.

I unboxed it, and got it connected to my wifi fairly easily, i thought i'd give the one press wps setup a try, but to be honest i wasn't sure if I was doing it right or not, so cancelled that and manually entered the key, which wasn't that much of a problem.

Printer appeared instantly to my wifi connected iphone, and printed emails and photos no problems.

I have a mac, and it perhaps wasn't quite as simple as I'd hoped. OSX Lion now requires different drivers and apple are meant to be distributing them, during the install you get given a link for OSX Lion drivers which tells you they are shipped with Lion. Anyway, in preferences you browse for printers, it finds it, however in my installation it had to go to apple, started downloading and then failed. I repeated this twice, with the same problems.

I think its installing the driver in the background, because I went away for 5 minutes tried again and this time it worked fine over Wifi. - so 1/2 a point deducted for that.

2nd.. Double sided printing on a mac. Got it all installed went to print, and selected the Layout and found that Two Sided printing was greyed out (hmm), surfed the net found lots of instructions for Snow Leopard with drivers that were not installed with OSX Lion. Then thought I should check the driver and the settings. Whats happened is the duplex option is on its own menu (Output settings) - so 1/2 point deducted for that.

Appears a good compact printer ideal for home sharing, scanning worked over wifi well. Looking forward to printing

haven't tried the google remote printing yet, although i'm sure that's going to be fine.