My previous printer was a Canon Pixma IP4500. It produced fantistic results and did everything I needed, however it had one MASSIVE flaw. The ink cartridges were tiny and required replacement on a weekly basis. I must have spent a fortune on ink.

Published 22 months ago by Mr. A. G. Orwell

This is a high-specification Workforce model. I switched to this inkjet from a colour laser. Epson saved me money and gave me better quality. But now there is a problem....

- the good news.
Published 11 months ago by Mr. P. Lefrere

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant home printer for those who don't like replacing inks regularly, 18 Oct 2012
This review is from: Epson WorkForce Pro WP-4535DWF A4 Multifunction Inkjet Printer (Accessory)

This Epson 4535 printer is a different beast. It is rather big and ugly but has a few nice tricks up it's sleeve. In addition to printing as good as my old printer, it is MUCH faster, produces decent photocopies, scans well, and the inks last forever. I cannot count how many prints (photo's and standard documents) I have made, but all of the originally supplied cartridges still have plenty of ink left. I estimate these cartridges last 10x longer than my old Canon, and the supplied cartridges are the lower capacity (less than half filled) versions.

WIFI works really well and is easy to setup. The supplied software CD automatically downloads the latest drivers, installs useful (but basic) photo software, and updates the printers firmware (if required). Connecting my home dektop, laptops, iPhone and Android tablets was a breeze.

The only real downside of this printer is that it cannot perform edge to edge photo prints. Whether you print A4, A5, 7"x5", 6"x4", there will always be a 3mm white border around the edges. I guess this saves a little ink and many people like borders around their photos, but it would have been nice to have an edge to edge option.

Photo printing tip:- Always use the rear tray for printing smaller than A4, and when using the Epson Easy Print software boost contrast to +8 in order to produce vibrant images. This is not a dedicated photo printer, but it can perform just as well as my old Canon Pixma if the contast is turned up a bit and output is set to high-quality mode. Without adjusting the contrast prictures appear a little washed out.

So, although this is probably not the best photo printer in the world, it is more than good enough for non-professional pictures, and actually produces prints equal to those at Boots/Tesco's printer Kiosks. I will never use the fax machine, but both the photocopier and scanner are very capable. My kids find this printer ideal for copious ammounts of homework, and I love not having to put up with "low on ink" or "replace ink now" messages. Spend more on the printer now. less on ink later.

Great product and great service from Amazon as always. Using the free delivery option my printer arrived next day.

### edit 31/1/2013: Having owned this printer for more than 3 months now, I thought I should update my comments.

The printer has performed flawlessly. I did experience one paper jam, but this was easy to rectify due to the printer opening fully from the rear and clearly exposing all of it's internals. Inks just last forever... My kids have printed homework on a daily basis but it still reports that the ORIGINAL cartridges are more than half full. Nothing has fallen off, and apart from the odd "empty paper tray" notification (my fault) it just does what it is told. My wife also loves the way she can scan her work documents direct to USB stick without having to turn the PC on. The only negative thing I can say about this device is that it still looks rather large, but that is a price well worth paying for quality and practicality.

It may be built for small-medium office, but it is great for home use too. Well worth the money.

### edit 2 15/5/2013: I replaced my first ink cartridge last week after several days of low ink warnings. Rather than purchasing Epson's own-brand and rather expensive ink, I opted for a box of compatible inks costing 22 for a full set of 4. Needless to say, they work perfectly and print quality and colour of the replaced Cyan cartridge is indistinguishable from the real thing.

The inks I purchased were from the Amazon reseller below. However, if link stops working just search Amazon for "Set of 4 XXL Ink WP4535".
B00AXVJ9QW

My opinions of this printer have not changed. It is well worth the money and saves a lot of time money and effort replacing inks all of the time.

### edit 3 29/5/2013: Two further original ink cartridges ran out in recent days. Both of the replacement "compatible inks" (listed above) were accepted and work perfectly. After 7 months of constant use I have only had to replace 3 of the originally supplied lower-capacity inks. The replacement higher-capacity ink should last much longer. I love this big ugly printer.

### edit 4 11/7/2013: Just replaced the last of my original ink cartridges. Yellow lived the longest and served it's owner well. All five of the replacement inks listed above work fine within the WP-4535, and even the first replaced ink still shows as full. For a printer that sees daily use, I cannot be happier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ticks all the boxes, 22 April 2012
This printer is in constant everyday use in our office. So far it has performed faultlessly: it is very quick, does double sided printing, copies (B&W & colour), scans to USB (very useful, apparently, to the people in the office upstairs!). Colour printing isn't Stylus Photo quality but nevertheless very adequate, ink usage seems very economical, 3 paper trays are useful, especially if you need to constantly change paper type, and a compact footprint. Would like an A3 model . . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely the best at the price, 21 Oct 2012
Big Al (Fife, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I've had Canon printers for the best part of 20 years, but when the heads on my MP610 went I decided to look for something which would be cheaper to run, easily networked and be capable of duplex printing. The Epson has delivered in spades - 2 minutes to set up, sips ink (unlike the canon which drank the stuff) and does everything I need it to do. I plugged it into my router, my Mac found it easily and I haven't had to do anything else. First class.

4.0 out of 5 stars Second time lucky..., 13 Nov 2012
A MF printer is not a simple item to review so I expect to add to this review as time goes by. Anyway, the first printer arrived and, during setup, exhibited a number of faults:
1. Didn't recognise the supplied Epson ink cartridges reliably
2. Aborted the setup with error "Remove protective packaging" (even though all packaging was removed prior)
3. Made some awful grinding noises
4. Aborted again with various lights flashing

AMAZON were great and sent a replacement next business day (Ta lads!) and this one setup perfectly well. Happily connected via my WLAN, tested fine. All good.

Initial use showed very good print quality
Print speed is really good, churning out pages much faster than my last (Epson) printer and very speedy for a SOHO printer
I tried some photo printing and, again, much better than previous printers
Build quality is good. Paper output tray stronger than many I've come across.

So... all good so far.
I will add to this review over the coming days and update appropriately.
So 4 stars so far (5 stars for Amazon service).

UPDATE: A couple of months in now and this printer is performing well. It's fast. The print quality is excellent both on text and images. The paper tray hold plenty of paper for a busy SOHO setup. All in all I can recommend this printer if you have need for decent quality, decent duty cycle, trouble-free printing...

UPDATE 2: 12 months in, and the printer is working well. Print quality is excellent. The use of ink is frugal and ink cartridges last a good time. Also photocopying, scanning and printing on glossy, heavy or label paper works well. Still a recommended product.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last...., 6 Nov 2012
Yea, at last a printer that does what you want it to do, with the best colour images I've seen. A bit more than I would normally spend but you only get what you pay for......

1.0 out of 5 stars Great features. Leaking after 9 months - still in warranty, so expect a good outcome., 14 Sep 2013

- the good news.
Initially I was delighted with my choice. I still think its features are superb. For the first few months I found it to be very economical, quiet, reliable, flexible. I guess plenty of purchasers will have a great experience with it. In my case, I was so pleased that I wondered if I'd done the right thing in having a first-year on-site warranty: it seemed un-needed.

- the bad news.
9 months on, I'm so glad that I have a warranty: the ink is leaking. Youtube has videos exactly replicating my experience. In my case, I was still using the original yellow cartridge (most of my work is black and white), and I was surprised when the yellow ink supply showed an overnight change from half-full to near-empty. Worse, there were large drops of yellow ink on the paper and inside the printer. I cleaned the printer and replaced the cartridge. Just 50 sheets of paper later, I've had to replace the yellow cartridge again, and clean the printer again. The leak has got worse. Those other users shared my initial delight with the printer, then a few months later, had a persistent leak of yellow ink. The Youtube videos show the cause of the leak - a break in the seal of the window of the ink reservoirs. It affects the yellow reservoir first, then spreads to adjacent reservoirs. There are Youtube videos that show identical faults on the other Workforce models with that design of reservoir. I'm guessing that Epson knows about this and has a simple fix, which I would expect is already incorporated in all their range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Small-Office printer, 24 Oct 2012
Have been using this printer for about a month in a small office environment. It is well used and is standing up well to the moderate pressure put upon it. The print speed is more than adequate, the scanning quality is excellent and the option of XXL ink cartridges a positive bonus in this world of expensive consumables. All in all a major step up from our previous HP all-in-one printer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Printer, 28 Nov 2012
Linden (BROMLEY, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
fast, great quality and excellent value for money. much more economical with it's separate cartridges. Bit big, but looks good on desk.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast, economical and great quality, 12 Jan 2013
Bill (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
I ordered this nearly three months ago, but decided to wait before posting a review. The main reason I bought it was because I was sick of paying exorbitant prices for ink cartridges the size of a matchbox, and had heard this printer was far more economical.

Well, it is. After frequent, daily use since the first day, I still haven't even replaced the (low capacity) cartridges which it was shipped with, let along try the high capacity Epson XL cartridges which I ordered at the same time.

The printer is very fast, even when powered-up from sleep mode, and reasonably quiet. Text quality is excellent, and graphics too. I use it for publication proofs to submit to clients and (after some tweaking) can get it to print proofs which are close to the final job. No, it's not a photo printer, but it's not far off. You may need to experiment with various settings, but when you get it right, the photos are pretty impressive (although you can see the dots if you look closely). I've used inkjet, premium gloss, matt (double sided) and bog-standard copier paper, and I've been pleased with the result on all of them. Envelopes too.

Copying is good too, but I have no need for the fax option and haven't tried it.

One slight niggle: if you let the printer decide for itself which tray to take the paper from (rear or below) it tends to use the option you last selected. So there have been a couple of occasions when I've printed a document all over a DL envelope (which is what I'd loaded into the rear tray). I suspect there's an easy way of avoiding this if I take the trouble to read the manual. And I haven't got the hang of printing on both sides (sometimes it worked, sometimes not), but again I expect this is more my fault. And it's not an option I need very often (it's just as easy to print one side, and then reload the paper for the other side).

And another drawback is the size; its desk-footprint is pretty massive. Mind you, it looks the business so I don't mind too much.

Unless things go pear-shaped sometime in the future, this is undoubtedly the best printer I've ever had, and ideal for a small business.

5.0 out of 5 stars WFPro, 18 Nov 2012
I have had this about a month or so and so far it has behaved very well. Ink seems to be lasting ok and I do not have any issues with it. A very useful machine for a small office.