5.0 out of 5 stars Ok - and good price at time of buying (180 august 2012)
Published 23 months ago by Mal

3.0 out of 5 stars Drift HD - Contour Roam - Go Pro Hero2 HD
Drift HD - Contour Roam - Go Pro HD - I Have owned all three of these but have been disappointed. I really can't understand how they can justify these being Hi Definition when the video quality is not crisp in any of them. I do have high expectations and when a camera costs around 200 you want it to meet your requirements. Below is a small review of each...
Published 24 months ago by Mr G

5.0 out of 5 stars Ok - and good price at time of buying (180 august 2012), 4 Sep 2012
This review is from: Drift HD Action Camera (Sports)
STOP PRESS - I used this on a skiing holiday and the quality has to be seen to be believed. I not only gave great videos but going from bright light to shade it changed very quickly when going in and out of tress. What really amazed me is that sometimes I was shooting into the sun and everything was clear - the sun was a glaring yellow on the video and I have no idea how the camera managed to cope but it did. I took spare batteries as the cold affected them, as expected so took one in the camera and two spares.

A few comments -
1. The Drift HD should not be confused with older models still being sold
2. The drift HD should not be confused with the 720 model
3. See Driftinnovation web site for videos of the device in use and videos of how to use the setup (albeit for a different device but it was the same as near as makes no odds.
4. This newer model has a single set of buttons making it shorter than previous ones.
5. Now comes with a replaceable (not supplied) lens cover so if scratched it can easily be replaced albeit at a cost.
6. Many reports on lack of fitting with which I do not agree
Flat attachment
Curved attachment (for fitting to the curved part of, for example, a helmet
Fitting for ski goggles. I have tried this and it seems OK but not used bumping up and down to see hpw well it holds.
Wrist band for remote
7. Battery - the one supplied lasts about 1hr 45 minutes at room temperature with the screen switched off (I have set mine to switch off after 3 seconds - not the camera, just the screen. The video carries on.
8. After about 37 mins on 1080p, the file size reaches maximum 4GB for FAT. The camera automatically starts a new file. I haven't checked how much is lost but I suspect this won;t matter much as most people will not video for a full 37 minutes in one go.
9. There are probaly loads of reviews about but what I was amazed at was the quality - OK I was in 1080p but it was good.
10. Due to wide angle, a fish eye effect was noticed but I'd prefer this to a narrow vision.
11. I have no idea if this is true but it seemed to focus very closely - I was testing it looking at a book less that 12 inches away.
12. As reviews have stated, the lens can swivel, so when mounted, just rotate the lens to get a vertical view.
13. What was not stated anywhere that I have seem, is that the method of attaching allows the camera to be screwed up and then the mounting has some click positions. This allows for up/down pointing in addition to the getting it vertical of the lens swivel.
14. I have read that the settings were difficult. To me, having used a normal digital camera, they were VERY simple. I almost didn't need the online video tutorial ( no detailed manual supplied) but I went through settings step by step to get used to it. I can only think that some reviews were on a completely different model and got posted in the wrong place.
15. Playback on the small screen is OK - not really watchable but a good visual check - I'd highly recommend anyone getting a head cam to have a screen for playback (you use the screen on your camera an phone don't you to check the picture/video is OK?)
16. I have seen a 'kit' on Amazon for two additional batteries and a charger - I will be buying one of these 'kits' and will report when I've tested it in a couple of months.
17. Drift stated (on the phone) that there is no internal battery that holds the settings such as time/date and said you need to change batteries within about 6 seconds to avoid losing these. It is very easy to change. If you have the charged one in your hand, less than 5 seconds would be able in my opinion.
18. One thing that was not supplied with mine was any sort of case/cover. A simple cloth bag would have been good but I will probably use a sunglasses soft bag fr mine, when not in use.
19. Charges via USB from computer. Can also be charged from a car charger or mains charger. I have car and mains adapters already that have a USB socket in so I just switch cables.
20. Last but not least - best to go to driftinnovation site and look at the videos and tutorials and the manual can be viewed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good - on a par with Go Pro for different reasons, 18 Mar 2013
I weighed up the Drift HD and Go Pro Hero. Here's what I found:

* The Go Pro picture quality is better than the Drift HD
* The Go Pro is pricier by about 140 than the Drift HD
* The Go Pro sound handling is limited by its 'on board' mic (no external mic 'in' option)
* The Drift HD has a external 'mic' input which allows me to create professional wide-screen videos where narration is vital

So as it happens, I chose the Drift over the Go Pro for two main reasons: 1) I needed the external mic input option MORE than I needed the slightly better Go Pro video quality and 2) The Drift price was considerably lower than the Go Pro. Where picture quality is your ONLY consideration (and cash isn't an issue) then I would recommend the Go Pro.

The Drift scores a 4 stars review for me because it does everything it promises to do well. It captures HD video smoothly (make sure that you have the right Class micro SD card - I'd recommend the more expensive 10), runs for about an hour on a single charge. It's easy to get the video off the unit. The optional suction mount I bought to go with it is robust and strong but you have to be VERY careful about the surface you put it on. For example: on clean glass, it will hold forever. On slightly rougher finish (i.e. smooth kitchen unit veneer) it will drop off in a minute. You have to consider carefully what you trust and don't trust as a surface and be prepared to rig a fail-safe if necessary. I took mine gliding and had to choose carefully the part of the glider I attached it to because 0.5 kilo of camera and suction mount hitting someone from 1000 ft would be fatal.

More plusses for the Drift includes the streamlined shape. Unlike the Go Pro, the Drift is like a tapered rectangle shape designed to be pointed 'thin-end-on' at the subject. The lens also has a unique feature that allows you to turn it once the main unit is locked into place. When you first get it, you have no real idea how this might be useful. Then, one day, having fixed your camera in the only possible position available to you, you look at the little screen to find that the lens is effectively diagonal to the horizon, giving you a slanted picture. A gentle turn of the lens and - presto! - your picture becomes horizontal again. THEN you'll understand what a neat little innovation that is.

Now, the downside.

First, as mentioned, slightly inferior picture quality to the Go Pro. It's not just a nuance, it is noticeable on a side-by-side comparison (and there are plenty available on YouTube). Don't get me wrong, my Drift videos look fine. It's just that the Go Pro look a little bit richer, more saturated and - most importantly - the Go Pro handles the full range of lighting conditions in a single shot better than the Drift does.

Another slight gripe: there is so little feedback from the unit as to whether it is recording or not. The only clear sign once you've hit the button is the numbers running on a miniscule screen. If you're 40+ like me and about to climb into a glider (NOT wearing your reading glasses) you're going to get it wrong 50% of the time....as I did. Luckily, out of 6 flights I got 3 videos. But not good enough in situations where you need to depend on getting the shot. The cute remote control should (could?) have some kind of bright LED or SOMETHING on it to tell you definitively that you've set it on. I trusted the remote SO little that I've never used it, preferring to press the unit itself by hand. Not good enough.

The only other tiny niggle for me was that a very important piece of information is buried, invisibly, in the user guide: the unit is designed to stop recording after 3.6Gb (or 40 minutes in HD) to limit file sizes. Sure it restarts immediately afterwards on a second file. I would have like to have known this from the outset because I bought the camera to record sessions of around 60 minutes. this leaves me with an editing problem I could have done without. When I called Drift support (and emailed and Tweeted) they all told me my unit must be faulty - and, to their, credit recommended I returned for a refund and buy again if I liked. This is what I did - and promptly discovered the same 'problem' with my new unit. When I blogged about it, I got some sanctimonious git tell me that 'Of course all video cameras stop at 3.6gb blah blah'. Well he might know this but I certainly didn't when buying - and nor did ANY of Drift's support people that I talked to. SO be warned. I don't know if this is also the case with the Go Pro (it may be) but in case you're looking for a continuous recording of over 40 minutes in HD... exercise caution.

Overall, great unit and - now I know it's limitations and strong points - well worth having.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, 5 Jun 2012
This review is from: Drift HD Action Camera (Sports)
After a long time "umm-ing" and "ah-ing" between the Drift, Contour and GoPro, I finally got the Drift (persuaded by the sellers cheap price and some amazon vouchers I had burning a hole in my email inbox)

Good Stuff as follows
Used it out while mountain biking Pennines and Yorkshire at the weekend - needless to say there was a bit of rain but it didnt banjax the camera (i believe there is a waterproof case available)
viewing it back on the HD tv, the views were stunning and the colour very true to life.
Excellent pic quality in both 720 and 1080.
Wide angle lens is great.
Remote control is handy, although the camera has to be switched on for this to work - it will not automatically make it switch on.
Decent set of mounts included - although I have combines the goggle mount and remote wrist strap and some cable ties to create a solid helmet mount (right on the top).
the onboard screen is good to give you a good idea of what your shooting. and the swiveling lens means you get a good shot depending on what way the camera is mounted.
i prefer the bullet shape to this which is something that put me off gopro
rubberised outer shell is good protection should it take a fall. probably worth getting the lens protector as the lens protrudes.
its also considerably more compact that the previous hd170 and stealth models, which are the size of a brick.
mic is decent although inevitable moving at speed and in wind made a bit of blustering.
useful firmwear updates from drift innovations website. keep on top of these to get the most from the camera

Things not so impressive are;
No handlebar or helmet mount included which was a bit cheeky considering a lot of (motor)cyclists will be using this.
Battery life of that supplied is SHOCKING! (a couple hours MAX) So purchase a backup (or two).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera!!!, 8 Aug 2012
This review is from: Drift HD Action Camera (Sports)
I bought a Drift HD a few months back after a lot of consideration. Thought about going for a GoPro but got recommended the Drift from a friend of mine. I love the sleek design and the remote. I do a number of sports but the remote helps loads when I'm cycling. I've done lots of comparing with other friends GoPros and I'm super happy with the quality and in my opinion the colours on the Drift are so much better. It's super light too, I hardly notice it when I have it mounted on my helmet. Great, great camera!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money!, 21 Oct 2012
This review is from: Drift HD Action Camera (Sports)
I purchased this after losing my GoPro HD hero & so have experience of both, i paid 160 for it & think that its better value for money than the GoPro, i think the video quality is on par with the GoPro but the Drift HD is much more user freindly with easy to follow menu settings, you don't need to carry the instructions with you its straight forward (unlike the GoPro),its also easier to tell when its recording with an audible beep & visible indicator (the GoPro had the recording light on the front so you could not see it?, although they have addressed that with the new GoPro 2),The Drift HD also comes with a remote control to use to start/stop recording althuogh you can't use it to switch the camera on/off but still handy to have!.
The Drift HD has a built in screen so you can set it up easier by seeing what you will record (an accessory with the GoPro) & the fact you can rotate the lense if you have not mounted it level is a good idea, all in all i like it & think its a better shape than the GoPro.
The negatives (the reason for 4 stars not 5) i have are that it has no protective casing especialy over the lense, its an optional extra but comes supplied with the GoPro, although the Drift HD lense can be replaced if damaged (although i have not looked at the cost of a new lense), other negatives are it uses micro sd cards & it has nowhere near as many mounting options as the GoPro although it has a standard thread for tripods etc so you can source the net & buy & modify mounts to give it more flexibility.
Lastly if its water sports you want one for then the GoPro would be your choice as its waterproof & the Drift HD is not

3.0 out of 5 stars Drift HD - Contour Roam - Go Pro Hero2 HD, 25 Aug 2012

Go Pro Hero2 HD - 1st best video quality
Pros:-
Better video quality but still not perfect
Photo quality was pretty decent
60 fps for slow motion

Cons:-
Sound quality is pretty poor
Case steams up (this is a known issue) I used whilst snowboarding and the case did this numerous times.
No playback screen
Changing settings it difficult without keeping instructions with you.
Fish eye lens (gives a slight curve effect) a con for me.
Sometimes when knocking the device the recording stopped itself.

Drift HD - 2nd best video quality - (be sure to update to latest firmware)
Visible Screen
Rugid Build
Change settings easily
Twistable Lens
Mini Hdmi Output
Option to add external microphone.
60 fps for slow motion
Low light option for video

Cons:-
Video quality is a bit blurry when in motion (not ideal if you're a snowboarder)
Picture quality is awful especially in low light - very grainy
Sound is very muffled even on highest sensitivity
Fish eye lens (gives a slight curve effect) a con for me.
4 x digital zoom also degraded video quality when used.

Contour Roam - 3rd best video quality
Excellent Build Quality, best of all 3
Lens is flat and gave a more realistic POV video.
1m waterproof without cases.

Cons:-
Can only change setting via PC (this is a huge boo boo) So if you're out you cannot change to photo's or change video quality without a PC.
Video quality not great in low light and only average all other times.
Sound is not great

If only we could take the best of all 3 we'd have a decent Cam but I certainly feel the manufacturers have a long way to go in getting both great video and sound quality.

Thanks

1.0 out of 5 stars Great when (if) it works!!, 17 Oct 2013
This review is from: Drift HD Action Camera (Sports)
Had an older version of this camera which performed really well until I broke it so I ordered the new version. The new one worked fine on first charge (over 2 hours battery) with great picture quality. After the initial charge however subsequent charges took well over 4 hours each time and I never got more than 20 minutes battery life. It was clear the unit wasn't charging properly so I sent it back.

Today I received its replacement which will not switch on or charge at all. It's very clear that the replacement box had already been opened (the security tape had been completely removed). So there seems to be a general problem with charging these cameras compounded by Amazon appearing to have sent me some-one else's return. Time for my money back I think.....

5.0 out of 5 stars drift hd very good, 10 Mar 2012
This review is from: Drift HD Action Camera (Sports)
i bought this from here and have posted vids on you tube i am more than happy with is performance great unit try one
i use the goggle strap and it hold well

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, despite the price, 26 July 2013
This review is from: Drift HD Action Camera (Sports)
The camera is great and works really well. I especially like the lens that can be rotated.

I'm also impressed with the "sticker" attached mount; I have at underneath the front of my Yamaha R6 and despite commuting daily through central London (really bad roads!) it's still firmly attached.

The picture quality is really good. it can be a bit unsteady when the speed is high and the roads are bad, but it's really good under the circumstances.

The still pictures are rubbish, but I bought it as a safety measure if any of the nutters manage to cause an accident, so it does exactly what I need it to do.

If you want a bike video camera with really good image quality, then I would recommend the Drift HD.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: Drift HD Action Camera (Sports)
This was a replacement for the same head camera, when it arrived the Battery wouldn't charge so it was returned

Drift HD Action Camera