Wild Blessed Freedom
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£8.83+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 21 February 2012
I've been putting off doing this review because I so desperately wanted to love this album as much as their first one. I've listened to it over and over again - but no.

"Coming to Terms" was truly a pop/rock masterpiece with at least half a dozen singles that should have taken Carolina Liar to the top of the charts around the world. There wasn't a bad track on the album. I saw them live in Liverpool in 2010 on a rare UK date and I was hooked!

Not that "Wild Blessed Freedom" isn't good - it's just not outstanding. The single "Drown" is great and a good few of the others will soon get you singing along. "Beautiful People" is heartwarming whereas "All That Comes Out of My Mouth" seems to have ventured into the world of angst-ridden US teenage rock that perhaps doesn't quite suit them. It's difficult to put your finger on why this second album has just fallen short of their superlative debut - I guess it's that the tunes just aren't quite so strong this time round.

That said, in my book, it still knocks spots off 99% of albums released these days - so DO buy it. But buy "Coming to Terms" FIRST!
on 14 October 2011
Wild Blessed Freedom is as brilliant as Coming to Terms and I can't wait until they tour the UK. I hadn't even heard of Carolina Liar until 2 months ago when I kept hearing Show me what I'm looking for on the radio at work. I love all their songs and Chad Wolf has a brilliant and beautiful voice.
on 13 October 2011
I saw these guys in 2009 at the V Festival in Staffs and was blown away by the energy of the performance and the hook laden melodies. I bought Coming to Terms shortly afterwards and it became my favourite album of the year. Coming to Terms provided a great balance of rock tunes ranging from soaring ballads to pumping rock singalongs that the Killers or Coldplay would have died for. I had therefore been eagerly awaiting their next release.

The rock has very definitely been removed from this latest offering, with the single Drown, being the only track with the hint of a bass riff. This is sugary sacharin pop music which is more reminiscent of a second rate boy band. The track Daddys Little Girl would not have been out of place on an 80's Bucks Fizz album. Where their first album provided a wide range of tempo's, the majority of these tracks merge into a bland featureless landscape, with very little to grab your attention.

I'm sure some of the tracks will eventually worm their way in to my consciousness, but this isn't the album to provide a breakthrough in the UK. So if you havent got it, go and buy Coming to Terms and hopefully see them live if they come over to the UK in the near future.