on 5 September 2011
Debated whether or not to buy this CD and have to say when I did I was very disappointed. Dubstep today has very little in common with the dubstep I fell in love with in 2006. The slow pounding Reggae sub bass and clever samples have been replaced by electro/techno like synths and female house style vocals complemented with horrible grime inspired mc'ing.

Dubstep originally was a move against the commmercial overtones of UK Garage and the violent grime scene, blending Reggae, Drum n Bass and taking small bits out of UK Garage to create a whole new muscial genre. It has since been picked up and morphed into a whole new sound-mashing together electro/drum n bass/pop/grime and garage to create some sort of weird hybrid genre with very little in common with its roots. This was always bound to happen when a new chino wearing wannabe gangsta generation came of age and this unfortunately is what this CD represents. There is the odd decent track on it but I actually felt sad after listening to it knowing that the genre and scene I came to appreciate so much has changed beyond recognition.
1010 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 17 November 2011
A lot of people have been talking about how bad the CD edition is, and I agree, the mixes here are not good, but the MP3 edition at least leaves you with the original unmixed tracks, which is superb. It really does annoy me the fact that you can't download one or two tracks as they're "album only" tracks and therefore you have to fork out for the whole thing, when you're only interested in one or two tracks.

Some of the best tracks here are not the bass-heavy, robotic vocals and slamming beats, but the more laid back stuff on the end - tracks like Silkie's Snowed In, and 3.5 Grams by District, even though it is a very dark track. I really don't have time for tracks by Example, and shows me how a club which was so successful like the Ministry has become so commercial now.

The mix - which is probably why people buy this, isn't good. It just seems like it has been mixed by a computer rather than a human. I wish we could go back to the times where we had named DJs on our CD mixes - not like now where it's a droid using Pro Tools in some darkened studio - just being told "play these" by some kid as he realises he's just following the Zeitgeist.

What I'd like to see in Sound of Dubstep 4? A disk dedicated to post-dubstep - new comers to the scene rather than Doctor P and Example. I would also like to be able to buy any track I fancy off this rather than buying the whole release, I don't want their mixes - I want the tracks, complete with no cutting!
on 6 September 2011
I'd just like to add to the 2 other reviews above, for which i'd say are very useful reviews!

I'm no music expert and can't comment on what dubstep was like all those years ago, so I'm just reviewing from a 'average tom' point of view...

I was simply after a up beat and bass filled album which of course this album is full of. Lots of tracks from the charts, which I have to admit add to it for me.

The reason for 3 stars is that the adverts are somehow created to make the whole album seem amazing, when in fact you probably will only listen to maybe 5 or 6 of these tracks. I'd say 50% of them are purely an 'album filler'.

All in all, if you like your dubstep then you can't go wrong, although if you are not a huge dubstep addict it might be worth purchasing individual songs from a 'fruit based' music download device... other devices are available!
on 21 October 2011
I liked Dubstep 2 very much but wasn't very keen on this album. In my opinion there are a few excellent tracks but the rest are average. I sold it on once I'd listened to it.
on 24 October 2013
Bought this for my boyfriend as well as the previous two and the fourth sound of dub-step addition and he loves them, his face lit up when I gave them to him and he still plays them regularly which I think is really amazing because people seem to not play CD's any more as it is all digital. Really good choice of songs, nice variation. Would recommender this so dub-step lovers.
on 8 January 2013
Love, love, love Ministry of Sound stuff. They always manage to select an awesomw range of artists and this was no exception. Thoroughly recommend this to anyone who likes/loves Dubstep.
on 29 July 2013
hated the second cd, so commercial its not even dubstep anymore. i mean come on, if your gonna make a dubstep album, make sure its dubstep. 2009 was the best year
on 17 February 2013
Bought this for my Grandson who said it was "sick" ......apparently, that means great!!!! Dubstep rocks if you're a fan!!!!!
on 1 February 2014
not a big fan of dubstep myself but I gifted this to my bf and they love it! defo recommend
on 29 August 2011
Very disapointing but i wouldnt expect any different from a MOS cd. Captures the mainstream popstep perfectly, full of filth and wobbles that the kids will love. Would have got 1 star if it wasnt for a handfull of decent tracks.
44 comments|6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse