4.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia Overload
Published on 10 Dec. 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Fond nostalgia
If you remember sliding your home made mix cassette tape, recorded in silence from the Radio Top 40, into your Walkman and strapping your calculator watch to your wrist before disappearing to play unsupervised in the local park until dinner time, then the nostalgic appeal 21st Century Dodos will be a source of nostalgic appeal.

Subtitled "A collection of...
Published 8 months ago by Shelleyrae

4.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia Overload, 10 Dec. 2011
Amazon Customer (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
You really do have to be over thirty to get the most out of this book, though my fourteen-year old remembers some of them. I'm just shy of fifty and will admit I was unaware of some of the toys in here, but yes, I remember Sinclair Spectrums, sweet tobacco (it never encouraged me to smoke) and 8-track stereos. I still think snickers are Marathons, Starbursts are Opal Fruits and G00d God! My daughter tells me Bounty bars have changed their name now, too! I loved Texan bars and Old English Spangles, too.

This is a book to dip in and out of rather than a sit-and-read. Quite a trip down nostalgia lane.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't show it to your husband., 1 April 2012
When going on holiday I offered this to my husband as his reading matter. He declined, he's not much of a reader. So I took it instead. The first night went like this:

Me: "Could I have my book back now?"
Him: "Yes of course. Oh my god, yes, ring pulls! Listen to this:" *reads extract*.
Me: "That's funny, so if I could just..."
Him: "Smarties tubes!"
Me: "Charlie, my book?"
Him: "Do you remember ice cream bricks?"
Me: *admits defeat & downloads something else for my kindle*

Moral of the story - don't show it to your husband.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant nostalgia, 2 Feb. 2012
Clive Buckley (Birmingham England) - See all my reviews
When my copy arrived I thought I'd just flick through it but ended up reading it from cover to cover. Brilliant, funny and nostalgic. So much "I remember those!", shows I'm getting old. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved Every Page, 19 July 2014
Lincs Reader (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
How can it be so hard to review a book that had me sighing and nodding in agreement all the way through? A book that started so many conversations in this house .... "Oh, do you remember ......"; "bloody hell, I've not thought of those for years ....."; "now I'm craving ....."

This is not a story, it's not fiction, nor is it a history book ~ well, I suppose it is in a way. I defy anyone over the age of 35 to read this without exclaiming in joy at least ten times throughout.

I remember EVERYTHING in this book - every single thing. The shops on the High Street, and not just Woolworths, but Athena and Our Price and C&A (did every C&A smell a bit funny, or was that just the Lincoln branch?). I remember the frustration of arriving in town at 2pm on Wednesday and remembering that it's bloody HALF DAY CLOSING.

Black Jacks and Fruit Salad chews at half a penny each; Spangles and sweet cigarettes; reading Mandy comic and always having a 2p coin so that we could ring Dial-a-Disc from the red telephone box.

21st Century Dodos brings back so many memories, and yes, I do look back fondly and it's easy to forget that this was mainly the 70s - the decade of very bad fashion mistakes, and terrible disco pants and rock stars who wore platform boots and glittery eyeshadow (and that was the men).

This is perfect book for one of those evenings or summer afternoon when you get all of your friends round, down a few bottles and start reminiscing about the 'good old days'. It will spark so many memories, so many conversations and I'd guess there would be a fair few arguments too.

This is funny and charming and will make you crave things that you'd not thought about in years. The writing is great, not stuffy or text-book like - it's easy and friendly and I loved it. I loved every page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 11 Mar. 2012
One of those rare books that you think to yourself "any minute now he'll mention...." and there it is, uncanny how the author is a step ahead of you so often. 01 811 8055. If that phone number means anything to you or stirs up some dormant sand lying on the ocean bed of your memory then you should buy this book. I wish I'd written it as I imagine it was terrific fun to compile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, 9 Dec. 2012
20th Century Dodos catalogues the technology, customs and even confectionary which so many of us grew up with and, like a reluctant car-boot salesman, manages to handle this collection of memorabilia with great care and respect whilst humourously reflecting on its enduring place in our hearts.

There might no longer be room in our fully synced, on demand and high definition world for Dickie Davis, Spangles and Pen friends but Stack acknowledges the enormous contribution that they, and their like, made to the world we grew up in.

He gives credit where its due as well to the ZX81, the recordable cassette and the calculator watch; clunky electronic devices which paved the way for the development of the ipad, the mp3 and the android.

It is painstakingly researched without ever being nerdy and consistantly funny without ever resorting to the obvious cynicism that obsolete technology inspires.

Bring back the Texan bar!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Dodo Rating for this fabulous book, 21 Nov. 2011
K. Mayfield (London, England) - See all my reviews
I love this book. I have a particular interest in all things gone the dodo way, but never mind that.

The entries in Steve Stack's 21st Century Dodos are brilliantly, and dare I say, lovingly chosen. From Ring Pulls to Midland Bank and Green Shield Stamps, the author breezes wittily through, offering fetching fond farewells to all manner of things gone, just plain gone. Or going.

My personal favorite is Texan Bars. As I hail from the American South, rapture was upon me as I first thought that those god-awful Texan drinking bars had finally been closed for health and safety reasons. It's really sad that he was referring to a chocolate bar.

You'll love the way Steve Stack's prose whips across the page:

"Liquorice Pipes"

"Famous pipe smokers of the world include Harold Wilson, Monsieur Hulot, Tony Benn. And seven-year-old Steve Stack, walking home from school puffing away on a liquorice pipe."

I bought two copies of 21st Century Dodos - and please forgive this tired old phrase that is not yet a dodo - because this book makes a perfect gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect toilet reading, 21 Nov. 2011
Ian Hocking "author" (UK) - See all my reviews
This book is a great one one for dipping in and out of. It contains a list of near-extinct (or actually extinct) items and customs and is written in an accessible, jaunty style. Can you believe it used to take longer to dial telephone numbers with high-value digits? Great fun - perfect as an Xmas pressie.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 29 Dec. 2012
This review is from: 21st Century Dodos: A Collection of Endangered Objects (and Other Stuff) (Kindle Edition)
Brought back many memories. Enjoyed it. Well worth a read, l would like to find more of the same kind of book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!, 28 Dec. 2012
Mr (NEWBURY, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
If you're born around the early 1970's you'll love reminiscing whilst reading this book - Betamax videos, Toothpaste tubes made of metal, Raleigh Grifter bicycles (I had one), this list goes on. A fantastic read, I couldn't put it down.