4.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia Overload
Published on 10 Dec 2011 by Rachel Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun read
A fun 'pick up and read a few pages' book. It was fascinating to see one's history in a book.
Published 14 months ago by M. C. Kimmance

4.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia Overload, 10 Dec 2011
Rachel Green (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
You really do have to be over thirty to get the most out of this book, though my fourteen-year old remembers some of them. I'm just shy of fifty and will admit I was unaware of some of the toys in here, but yes, I remember Sinclair Spectrums, sweet tobacco (it never encouraged me to smoke) and 8-track stereos. I still think snickers are Marathons, Starbursts are Opal Fruits and G00d God! My daughter tells me Bounty bars have changed their name now, too! I loved Texan bars and Old English Spangles, too.

This is a book to dip in and out of rather than a sit-and-read. Quite a trip down nostalgia lane.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't show it to your husband., 1 April 2012
C. King (France) - See all my reviews
When going on holiday I offered this to my husband as his reading matter. He declined, he's not much of a reader. So I took it instead. The first night went like this:

Me: "Could I have my book back now?"
Him: "Yes of course. Oh my god, yes, ring pulls! Listen to this:" *reads extract*.
Me: "That's funny, so if I could just..."
Him: "Smarties tubes!"
Me: "Charlie, my book?"
Him: "Do you remember ice cream bricks?"
Me: *admits defeat & downloads something else for my kindle*

Moral of the story - don't show it to your husband.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant nostalgia, 2 Feb 2012
Clive Buckley (Birmingham England) - See all my reviews
When my copy arrived I thought I'd just flick through it but ended up reading it from cover to cover. Brilliant, funny and nostalgic. So much "I remember those!", shows I'm getting old. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Dodo Rating for this fabulous book, 21 Nov 2011
K. Mayfield (London, England) - See all my reviews
I love this book. I have a particular interest in all things gone the dodo way, but never mind that.

The entries in Steve Stack's 21st Century Dodos are brilliantly, and dare I say, lovingly chosen. From Ring Pulls to Midland Bank and Green Shield Stamps, the author breezes wittily through, offering fetching fond farewells to all manner of things gone, just plain gone. Or going.

My personal favorite is Texan Bars. As I hail from the American South, rapture was upon me as I first thought that those god-awful Texan drinking bars had finally been closed for health and safety reasons. It's really sad that he was referring to a chocolate bar.

You'll love the way Steve Stack's prose whips across the page:

"Liquorice Pipes"

"Famous pipe smokers of the world include Harold Wilson, Monsieur Hulot, Tony Benn. And seven-year-old Steve Stack, walking home from school puffing away on a liquorice pipe."

I bought two copies of 21st Century Dodos - and please forgive this tired old phrase that is not yet a dodo - because this book makes a perfect gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 11 Mar 2012
One of those rare books that you think to yourself "any minute now he'll mention...." and there it is, uncanny how the author is a step ahead of you so often. 01 811 8055. If that phone number means anything to you or stirs up some dormant sand lying on the ocean bed of your memory then you should buy this book. I wish I'd written it as I imagine it was terrific fun to compile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect toilet reading, 21 Nov 2011
Ian Hocking "author" (UK) - See all my reviews
This book is a great one one for dipping in and out of. It contains a list of near-extinct (or actually extinct) items and customs and is written in an accessible, jaunty style. Can you believe it used to take longer to dial telephone numbers with high-value digits? Great fun - perfect as an Xmas pressie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Softcore nostalgia, 1 Jan 2013
A lot of these things where innovations when I was in my twenties and thirties. In fact I worked on the development of some of them.
So yes it was great nostalgia, but I kept thinking, 70s softies. The early 60s that's when children really ran feral.

Whatever it was by far the best 0p I've spent on Amazon and would say it's worth at least 1.99!

4.0 out of 5 stars In remembrance of things past, 31 Dec 2012
This review is from: 21st Century Dodos: A Collection of Endangered Objects (and Other Stuff) (Kindle Edition)
This is a delightful book, especially for those of us who have been around since the 70s. It evokes a fond nostalgia, as well as some righteous anger: Starbursts and Snickers... huh! They will always be Opal Fruits and Marathons to me.
The book is perfect for dipping into, although such was my need for reminiscence that I read it all in one go.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 29 Dec 2012
Brought back many memories. Enjoyed it. Well worth a read, l would like to find more of the same kind of book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!, 28 Dec 2012
Mr (NEWBURY, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
If you're born around the early 1970's you'll love reminiscing whilst reading this book - Betamax videos, Toothpaste tubes made of metal, Raleigh Grifter bicycles (I had one), this list goes on. A fantastic read, I couldn't put it down.

ARRAY(0xae2fdde0)