5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life
Published on 19 Sept. 2010 by I eat less!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not entirely convinced
I certainly would not dissuade anybody from buying this book. It seems to have worked for a lot of people but I prefered Overcoming Overeating: Conquer Your Obsession with Food Forever by Jane R. Hirschmann and Carol H. Munter. Riley condemns diets, which I applaud but the pyschological techniques she introduces to prevent overeating did not fully work for me. Whereas...
Published on 27 Jun. 2009 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life, 19 Sept. 2010
This review is long overdue but I feel I owe it to Gillian to finally get it out there. Having browsed Amazon for "overeating" I found this book in February 2007 and since then my life has changed for the better. I didn't have a clinical eating disorder - just about 12 years of dieting and overeating in cycles under my belt and after having my first child ended up a good three stone overweight. Looking at my mother and her mother before her I can see that had it not been for this book I was destined to continue in this way for the rest of my life - getting heavier and heavier, fighting a losing battle with my weight and becoming more and more frustrated.

The techniques in this book worked for me - balancing out the two extremes and meeting somewhere in the middle. I had to suspend disbelief at first - I really didn't belive the changes would be dramatic enough to make any difference but slowly and surely they did. Over the past 2 and a half years I have lost all of my excess weight and feel great - but the best thing for me is the psychological differences. I now realise that I got absolutley no enjoyment from overeating - in fact in made me miserable but I felt compelled to continue until the next Monday morning, Weight Watchers meeting, end of my holiday or whatever. It takes a bit of getting used to, and I don't use all of the techniques suggested - just the ones that have solved my particular problems. I can see now that there was nothing in me that predestined me to be overweight - I simply ate too much. When I eat too much now - I just let it go and move on - in my dieting days that would have been the trigger for days of overeating before getting a grip again and starting a new diet. When I hear women talking about diets now I feel so glad that is no longer my way of life - I will never go on another diet. I have saved myself years of anger and resentment and wish I had read it years ago.

Thank you Gillian Riley!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Say hello to contentment and feeling OK, 11 Jun. 2014
At 34 I have struggled with my weight and eating since bulimia in my teens. I made a huge effort last year to count calories, exercise more and eat less. As a result I lost - absolutely no weight at all, and made myself utterly miserable. A friend recommended this book, which I didn't think was relevant to me "as I don't over-eat". But if you eat more than you need, you are over-eating!

Gillian's approach is to take the focus off weight and calories and scales and put it on health. She has changed my outlook. Food, which was my preoccupation 24/7, is now just part of my life - nothing to be dreaded. I found not weighing myself difficult initially and panicked at the thought of being out of control by not counting calories, but the freedom was fantastic. Out of naughty curiosity I weighed myself 3 weeks after I'd started living Gillian's way, as I was about to sell my scales, and found I had lost 10lbs. How? By eating less and eating more healthy stuff, and this was only possible by stopping obsessing. Most importantly I'm much, MUCH happier. I am comfortable in my own skin and in my clothes. I feel fitter and have stopped worrying constantly. Life is short. Let food be a pleasant part of yours, not the element dominating every waking moment.

The scales have been sold. I don't need to weigh myself anymore; my weight doesn't matter, it's how I feel and live that does. Thank you Gillian!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - changed the way I eat, 13 Sept. 2011
I was really suspicious about the claims of this book as basically I've been on every diet going, have tried hypnotherapy, pills, wonder cures you name it. But I have to say that this book has changed my thinking completely. For once I'm not hung up on what I'm going to eat, or if I've been "good" or "bad" and feel that I eat like a normal person. I have now bought this book for my mother and have a friend also following it. My only regret is not knowing about it sooner. As a serial dieter and food addict I would recommend this book to anyone battling with their relationship with food. And yes I have lost weight but thats not the driving goal now its about how I feel about myself and my eating.

5.0 out of 5 stars It definately helps!, 12 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating (Kindle Edition)
I was a bit sceptic when i first downloaded the sample of this book onto my kindle, but was hooked instantly. I have been able to have control and choice over my eating for nearly 3 weeks now. I used to binge eat at nighttime, mainly because it was a habit i had formed since childhood.

I have had quite a stressful life, and have been unable to control a lot of what happened to me, but since reading this book i feel my eating is the one area i am able to control, i still enjoy food, and actually since reading this book i have enjoyed eating immensely, as i am choosing what i put in my mouth, and it tastes good!

I used to have an all or nothing approach, mainly due to being a perfectionist, but i had one night when i caught myself eating after i was full and was able to stop and think about it. Normally i would have thought 'sod it ive done it now might as well carry on' but i was thinking that im not enjoying it any more so why waste it?

Highly recommend this book if like me you tend to find any little reason to carry on eating. My main 'reason' was boredom, i used food as a substitute for fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Serious freedom from an eating disorder, 16 Mar. 2008
C. Timsan "The change is real" (Budapest, Hungary) - See all my reviews
I have suffered from bulimia and anorexia for over ten years and I
have had many types of therapy, books, hypnosis but everything is
always temporary. I always go back to overeating which in turn goes
back to the bulimia because of the fear of weight gain, which happens
anyway...! I am so happy to have found this way, it sounds so simple
but it is so true and I finally accept that it may be a long road but
IS the right one. One thing I wanted to mention which I really could
recommend for other overeaters. I carry with me now a little card and
make a tally for any times during the day I even slightly want to over
eat or eat when I am not hungry. This is great way to watch progress
without the scales! I started at about 800(!) times a day and
yesterday I was on 14!

These changes will affect you immediately and not from tomorrow morning! The book shows you how to be free from thinking about safe and trigger foods and teaches you how to listen to and respect your body.

The madness can end, trust me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening, 3 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating (Kindle Edition)
I re-read this book after first getting the paperback and then later the kindle edition (then passing the paperback onto my sister). It's the first time I've ever wanted to re-read a non-fiction book, and I imagine I'll do so once every 6-12 months until these methods have become second nature. Subsequently I also bought the CD to listen to while driving long distances, again to help these methods become instinctive.

I'm currently doing a VLCD (very low calorie diet) with great success, and therefore some of what's described isn't quite usable for me yet, though it will become so once I return to conventional food, and it is nevertheless useful to actually learn those strategies now ahead of returning to conventional food.

There are a couple of cognitive behavioural therapy and transactional analysis therapy books which are also in my arsenal for learning to combat food addiction once and for all, but Gillian Riley's book is the one I prize most. It opened my eyes to what's been going on with me and my overeating all these years, and has had a quite profound (and, I suspect, lasting) effect on my thinking and behaviour around food.

Perhaps not everyone with food addiction is willing to acknowledge it as such at first. It took a short while before I broke that barrier down and accepted that it is what I have. To anyone who dislikes the fact that they overeat and recognises there's a degree of compulsiveness about it, I'd suggest reading this book and to approach it with an open mind. To anyone who already accepts they may well be food addicted, I strongly recommend reading it. It's one of the things which is helping to permanently transform me into someone with a normal, healthy attitude towards food and eating. It could do the same for you.

To anyone reading this - well, there's only one reason we'd be reading reviews for this type of book. Just know that skewed attitudes to food & eating CAN be permanently changed. You have to really *want* to do it, not go at it in a half-hearted, uncommitted way, but if you do have that strong will to change then it's absolutely possible and within your capability. Good luck! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful enough to put other authors to shame, 8 Jun. 2006
This is way ahead of other books I've read on the subject: clearer, more humourous, less hysterical, and - most importantly - much more subtle and the level of analysis is on a different plane. I bought several books that I thought looked similar, and this one stood out a mile.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy!, 14 Jan. 2015
This book is simply amazing. I work in the fitness industry and have qualifications in nutrition and execise but I've always struggled with over eating but have never been able to understand why. This book has finally put me out of my misery and oponed my eyes to my food addiction. This book is fantastically written to inform you with the tools you need to make the right choices. I truly believe this book has permanently changed my relationship with food. I'm very lucky that this book caught my eye on amazon and I decided to give it a read. I never leave feedback on products I purchased on amazon but this book is a Bible for me now. If you ever over eat and then regret it or can't help but have another bite of that pie then purchase this book and I hope it changes your life like it has mine. Thanks Gillian Riley

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent...If you are ready for it, 18 Oct. 2012
I cannot describe in words how much this book has helped me. I have read most of the books available on overeating, binge eating disorder and weight issues. This one is my favourite by far.

You need to get this book if you struggle with overeating, feeling powerless over food and or binge eating.

The premise and most relevant message for me was: CHOICE. We can chose to overeat or binge, but when we make that choice, we also accept the consequences and vice versa. Now, to be real and honest, this book has not "saved me", but it has empowered me to the point where I am no longer obsessed with what I can and cannot eat as I have realised I CAN eat anything and everything I want, as long as I realise I have a choice, then I can chose a healthy choice or a not so healthy choice.

I won't ruin any more of the book as I hope you will buy this, or put it on a gift list. It is amazing. I am a very slow, dyslexic reader and I finished it in 2 days as I could not put it down. And I am getting ready to read it again.

Another plus of this book is it is very British. A lot of the eating disorder/weight books are American, and whilst that's fine, it is nice to have an author who speaks with the same tone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply fantastic!, 14 July 2003
By A Customer
This book makes serious sense. I have tried so many diets and so many self help books (my book shelf is overweight too by now) and I was getting sick of trying different things all the time and in the end feeling more confused than when I started. Then I decided to read this book, armed with an open mind, and - whoosh - it all was clear. I know now what I am suffering from, food addiction, and I know how to combat it. Not a calorie counter in sight and I am feeling great and relieved to have realised what to do. And yes, it works, I am losing weight but somehow the main focus is taken away from that and it's just a pleasant side effect. I am less obsessed with food, I can treat myself to things that I like but I can most of the time just as easily say no. This book is truly great, Ms Riley has written it in a good, down to earth language, there are no recipes nor pictures with stomach exercises included. Just good advice that makes sense. So get the book and start on your way to a better you. I would give this book 6 stars if I could.

Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating