5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life
Published on 19 Sep 2010 by I eat less!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not entirely convinced
I certainly would not dissuade anybody from buying this book. It seems to have worked for a lot of people but I prefered Overcoming Overeating: Conquer Your Obsession with Food Forever by Jane R. Hirschmann and Carol H. Munter. Riley condemns diets, which I applaud but the pyschological techniques she introduces to prevent overeating did not fully work for me. Whereas...
Published on 27 Jun 2009 by S. Holt

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life, 19 Sep 2010
This review is long overdue but I feel I owe it to Gillian to finally get it out there. Having browsed Amazon for "overeating" I found this book in February 2007 and since then my life has changed for the better. I didn't have a clinical eating disorder - just about 12 years of dieting and overeating in cycles under my belt and after having my first child ended up a good three stone overweight. Looking at my mother and her mother before her I can see that had it not been for this book I was destined to continue in this way for the rest of my life - getting heavier and heavier, fighting a losing battle with my weight and becoming more and more frustrated.

The techniques in this book worked for me - balancing out the two extremes and meeting somewhere in the middle. I had to suspend disbelief at first - I really didn't belive the changes would be dramatic enough to make any difference but slowly and surely they did. Over the past 2 and a half years I have lost all of my excess weight and feel great - but the best thing for me is the psychological differences. I now realise that I got absolutley no enjoyment from overeating - in fact in made me miserable but I felt compelled to continue until the next Monday morning, Weight Watchers meeting, end of my holiday or whatever. It takes a bit of getting used to, and I don't use all of the techniques suggested - just the ones that have solved my particular problems. I can see now that there was nothing in me that predestined me to be overweight - I simply ate too much. When I eat too much now - I just let it go and move on - in my dieting days that would have been the trigger for days of overeating before getting a grip again and starting a new diet. When I hear women talking about diets now I feel so glad that is no longer my way of life - I will never go on another diet. I have saved myself years of anger and resentment and wish I had read it years ago.

Thank you Gillian Riley!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Serious freedom from an eating disorder, 16 Mar 2008
C. Timsan "The change is real" (Budapest, Hungary) - See all my reviews
I have suffered from bulimia and anorexia for over ten years and I
have had many types of therapy, books, hypnosis but everything is
always temporary. I always go back to overeating which in turn goes
back to the bulimia because of the fear of weight gain, which happens
anyway...! I am so happy to have found this way, it sounds so simple
but it is so true and I finally accept that it may be a long road but
IS the right one. One thing I wanted to mention which I really could
recommend for other overeaters. I carry with me now a little card and
make a tally for any times during the day I even slightly want to over
eat or eat when I am not hungry. This is great way to watch progress
without the scales! I started at about 800(!) times a day and
yesterday I was on 14!

These changes will affect you immediately and not from tomorrow morning! The book shows you how to be free from thinking about safe and trigger foods and teaches you how to listen to and respect your body.

The madness can end, trust me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I have read in 30 years of weight struggles., 2 Oct 2008
Discovered this book by chance browsing yet again for something new. A deceptively simple book and technique that is truly wise in that the more you study, the more you realise and learn. Gillian convincingly purports the should -be -obvious truth that the way you eat, not what you weigh is the root of the problem then explores this with great wisdom and insight using an addiction model. Initially like some other reviewers i wondered if this too "would not work" for my weight, then realised that my weight had stopped yoyoing by its usual stone, after 10 months it is now starting to drop steadily though slowly in a way I am confident can be sustained. Like anything lasting, authentic and worthwhile it takes sustained and mindful effort to put the techniques into practice but I can honestly say i have not yet encountered a problem Gillian has not addressed in the book. I don't think I will ever need to buy a "diet book" again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply fantastic!, 14 July 2003
By A Customer
This book makes serious sense. I have tried so many diets and so many self help books (my book shelf is overweight too by now) and I was getting sick of trying different things all the time and in the end feeling more confused than when I started. Then I decided to read this book, armed with an open mind, and - whoosh - it all was clear. I know now what I am suffering from, food addiction, and I know how to combat it. Not a calorie counter in sight and I am feeling great and relieved to have realised what to do. And yes, it works, I am losing weight but somehow the main focus is taken away from that and it's just a pleasant side effect. I am less obsessed with food, I can treat myself to things that I like but I can most of the time just as easily say no. This book is truly great, Ms Riley has written it in a good, down to earth language, there are no recipes nor pictures with stomach exercises included. Just good advice that makes sense. So get the book and start on your way to a better you. I would give this book 6 stars if I could.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite a mind shift!, 28 April 2010
This book has an entirely new approach. Instead of the usual "eat when your body says you're hungry and visualise your slimmer self" it poses a different question "if you had the perfect body now - would there still be a reason for you to change your eating habits?". This challenged me to critically examine what I was doing from a health, and indeed mental health perspective. So when you rebel against your self-imposed restrictions by saying "Oh stuff it - no one is looking at my figure" it takes away the opportunity for justifiable self-sabotage. If you keep returning to considering yourself and your health then other peoples opinions and society's judgements cease to be important. All-you-can-eat buffets and three course business lunches had become a socially acceptable opportunity for me to overeat - now, thanks to the tools in this book, they have become an opportunity to exercise my new-found control over my food consumption. Having struggled with my weight for 30 years and only having started this in mid February I am still naturally cautious but my weight is coming down slowly but surely - and I see no reason to abandon the self-prioritising and health enhancing behaviour this book has encouraged me to adopt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful enough to put other authors to shame, 8 Jun 2006
This is way ahead of other books I've read on the subject: clearer, more humourous, less hysterical, and - most importantly - much more subtle and the level of analysis is on a different plane. I bought several books that I thought looked similar, and this one stood out a mile.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic MUST have book if you want to loose weight and keep it off, 14 Sep 2011
Cinders (BURY, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Gillians book addresses the psychology of overeating. I was overweight and had tried every diet and slimming club on earth. I'd loose and then put it all back again. But,me, over eat? Nah! People that overate were those that ate a whole loaf of bread and a packet of biscuits in one sitting. definitely not me!!! But Gillian made me see that if I had excess weight I was obviously overeating.

Gillian treats overeating as an addiction you can control and conquer, like smoking.

her methods are excellent and really worked for me. Gillian shifts the focus from weight loss and looking fabulous and explains why this thinking doesnt work to setting other goals for weight loss such as avoiding heart disease, diabetes , cancer etc.

She gives you concrete advice and plans for how to cut down on how much you eat and plenty of help on how to stay focused and on track.

Understanding why I ate so much and how to turn things around was the key for me.

Personally I'd go round every slimming club and inform them that the chosen method doesnt work long term and give them a copy of Gillians book!-- make sure you buy one too!

P.s whilst Gillian doesnt advocate weighing yourself, i know how peoples minds work, so I'll tell you that All together I've lost 3 stone.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last I have conquered my eating problems, 23 April 2003
By A Customer
I can't believe it,this book makes perfect sense, everything has just fallen into place. I feel so much more confident due to a higher self esteem, which the book talks about. Its about understanding the cause which is the overeating not the sympton which is the weight gain, once you understand and have mastered the cause, the rest falls into place. I read the book in February and so far have lost over a stone with no difficulty whatsover, its amazing. Wish I had read this years ago. Better late than never.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is not the same as all the others you've read!, 1 Jun 2002
By A Customer
I have a bookshelf full of books on eating and weight control which I've collected over the years, I've read every single one and none of them have had any effect on my long-term eating. I'd gradually come to the conclusion that my excessive eating was due to some as yet undiscovered physical problem and when medicine finally caught up and discovered my problem there'd be a pill I could take which would cure me forever!
Anyway, I got fed up with waiting for the miracle cure and read Gillian Riley's book. I had preconceived ideas concerning the book before I started, I thought it would be all that stuff about repressed rage, subconciously wanting to be fat because it felt safer, unexpressed emotions etc etc etc (I'm sure you've heard it all before). As I read, however, her common sense and simple ideas really seemed to strike a chord. I read the book in one day and put her ideas into practice immediately. It was a revelation. For the first time I didn't feel powerless regarding my eating habits.
The book contains simple strategies to gain control of your eating habits NOW,I found that they worked immediately. If you really take on board what the author is saying, you will gain more self-knowledge and experience a real shift in your attitudes and thinking around food. If you think you've read everything there is to know about eating and weight, you haven't. This book contains new ideas and information that I personally found more effective that anything else I have ever read. I would recommend it wholeheartedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, a breath of fresh air... on a tired old subject!, 25 April 2001
By A Customer
I first encountered Gillian's book when I participated in her course of the same name about two years ago now. I think I thought then that I knew it all. How wrong I was! Gillian's methods are such a relief and make such common sense. Taking the emotions, the angst and the stress out of the whole eating and dieting game, she quietly but surely helps you to navigate your way through the whole food addiction maze and gives you real tools, with which to free yourself. Two years down the line, I still re-read the book from time to time, and still benefit from what it has to say. And my own eating patterns? Let's just say that, with a lot of patience and even more practice, her philosphy has helped me discover a far, far healthier relationship with my food and with my eating. Oh, and yes I have lost a significant amount of weight 'effortlessly' (ie without dieting) over this time as well. Actually, about three dress sizes worth... This is no quick fix, fad or diet book. And perhaps if you can combine reading the book with doing one of her great courses, you might get the extra push needed to make those necessarily deep-rooted changes. But even on its own, I would unreservedly recommend this book to you. If you are really serious about making changes, about re-evaluating your life's priorities and about stopping food from ruling your life, buy this book and study it. It's not an easy road, but -take it from me- if you stick with it and take its message to heart, you too will find it changes your life. It has mine that's for sure.