Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£8.54

on 25 April 2011
I love the book and have been impressed with the ease of the patterns BUT there are errors in my book, the little birds have a page missing and a couple of times I have had to double check numbers of stitches in rows as they don't add up correctly when you get to next row. (This is even taking account of my fairly new knitting skills) Proof reading not up to standard? Or just my copy of book? My chicken turned out great though!
on 1 December 2010
I am rather disappointed with this book. I managed the first pattern for the little bird OK, but have come to a standstill on the kitten due to what seems like an arithmetical error in the pattern. I had not knitted in the round for a long time and although I consider myself a reasonable knitter, I do need the patterns to be explicit and correct! It's put me off trying the rest now, so a good start has left me rather deflated.
on 25 July 2013
I agree with many of the previous comments. This book requires a further addition with mistakes removed. As an experienced knitter I have found I need to alter some of the patters where she has gained and lost stitches to the point where you wonder if she can count! Making Speckle the kitten Rnd 67 is totally incorrect, there are slipped and additional stitches making it complicated and requiring time. However the finished pet are lovely and I would still recommend if you are an experienced knitter. I believe this book would be very difficult for anyone starting out!
on 18 February 2013
Disappointingly complicated with a new pattern vocabulary to learn first. Very few 'real' looking finished products. I'm a reasonable knitter, but my chicken resembles a seal!!
on 2 January 2014
I bought this book for the really cute chickens pattern. Thankfully I am an experienced knitter and worked out the error I found in the first 36 rows of the white hen. I wish I had read the reviews before I bought this book. If I had done I would never have paid money for such poorly written patterns. I will stick with the tried and tested patterns writers from now on!
I have used better written free patterns from the web.
on 6 February 2011
I have knitted the first of my planned items (a hen!) as a gift for a friend who breeds fanch hens, and he was really pleased. However, it was the first time I have used double pointed needles, and it was a bit of a shock to the system!

Almost every one of the pattern requires double pointed needles, and while this is a skill which is not too difficult to learn, some people may find it a bit intimidating to start with, and find it a bit annoying to have to delay a start, if they have to buy the needles too!

Nevertheless, if one gets over this initial perception of difficulty, the patterns seem quite clear and, although I have not read them all in detail, clearly set out. The variety of "pets" range from cats and dogs to chameleons and the rarely kept stegosaurus!

If you are unable to find anything that catches your eye in this book, I will be immensely surprised. I bought for the hens, and I am staying for the ponies and rabbits! I may even make a rat or two for my (real) cats to play with!
on 18 March 2012
I absolutely *love* this book and have now made almost all of the pets. Along with "Knitting new scarves" by Lynne Bar this is my absolute top favourite knitting pattern book. There are a few mistakes in the patterns but given the complexity it's amazing that so few slipped through, I've never had a problem working out what to do. The designer has an amazing knack of producing shaping that so accurately reflects a real animal, they really are brilliantly observed and recreated. I also love the fact that most animals are knitted nose-to-tail which minimises sewing up at the end. Of the animals I've knitted so far the tortoise, snake, chameleon, greyhound, hen and dinosaur were the best. Will definitely make some of them again! Brilliant presents for kids. View my creations on Ravelry (SarahJW).
on 29 October 2011
This book has some adorable patterns in but as others have mentioned there are errors in the patterns, I thought I was going mad when I was trying to knit until I read these reviews and found out the publisher had made errors printing the book. I have contacted David & Charles publishers several times through their website and even telephoned them and I am still awaiting the correct patterns. I am extremelly annoyed as this has been going on for months and months. So, unless you want a battle on your hands with the publishers to receive the correct patterns I would avoid this book as you can't knit some of the patterns!
on 29 November 2010
I bought this as a Christmas present but loved it so much that I have to buy a second copy. The knitted animals have such character when completed and are very different from other knitted animals I have made.
on 30 August 2013
For a fused copy, the condition was very good at an excellent price. I have so far knitted the hen and although the pattern turned out ok, I did need to do a bit of tweeking here and there. I feel sure there is a missprint towards the end of the body. I e the pattern says repeat rows 26 -29. three times. I think this should read rows 32 -35. This would give a much better finished effect. I needed a pattern for a red grouse and this one worked well.