5.0 out of 5 stars Light it, Shoot it, Retouch it.
I bought this book have been recommended by a friend at work. What I liked was how it shows the studio setup and then follows through to a finished product,
Scott Kelby explains his methods very well,along it easy to follow, with the bonus of the link to download the images and complete them as you read through the chapter.
An excellent book with hints and tips...
Published on 3 Dec. 2011 by SJK

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much Photoshop and not enough variety of subjects
Technically this book delivers in that it describes and illustrates some studio set-ups with the work-flow to get a very polished artificial-looking result. Much of this is achieved using a huge studio, very expensive equipment and oodles of Photoshop.

Scott states at the beginning that he didn't spend too much on the equipment but in the UK if you add up the...
Published 4 months ago by Annie MacDonald

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to studio setups for beginners!, 16 Mar. 2012
I've been an amateur photographer for the last 6 years and have mostly been interested in macro, still life and general out-and-about shots. More recently I've wanted to try portrait photography to get some nice shots of the family, so I've been investing in backdrops, additional speedlites, softboxes, umbrellas and even a studio flash. All that was missing was a good book on how to setup all this equipment for different types of shot, to get the best use out of it.

This new book by Scott Kelby is just that, a perfect introduction for beginners to get started with studio lighting setups. With half a dozen different examples, Scott takes you through every step of the process; what equipment he's using, what settings are set, what to place the equipment / your model / your camera etc. through to post processing applied in Photoshop to get to the final image.

This book has been an invaluable resource for me and I will continue to use it as a reference until I'm confident I can do all this on my own. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books on this subject, 16 Nov. 2014
Michael Rooke (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Light It, Shoot It, Retouch It: Learn Step by Step How to Go from Empty Studio to Finished Image (Voices That Matter) (Kindle Edition)
This book (on Kindle FireHD) has been a great help to me. The lighting ideas are presented with full pictorial explanations (real photos) and tips, and providing one has the full range of kit, the results should be reproducible. I have to improvise somewhat, not having a comprehensive range of softboxes and strobes, but I have already managed to improve my portraits very significantly.

I thought I knew Photoshop, but Kelby has raised my skill level at re-touching portraits specifically, to achieve what are, quite honestly, massive improvements. The techniques are explained and shown in great detail, and Kelby's original photographs are available to download to master the method he describes. There is a pattern to the way he works, and this is very useful to know, as well.

I've got Lightroom5 so once I've explored the book fully, I will transfer the techniques learned into the use of that program.

2.0 out of 5 stars Idiots idiot guide to photography, 3 Jun. 2012
Nowade (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Really, this is the idiots-idiot guide to photography. I was disappointed because I expected from the preview pages and comments, a lot greater breadth and depth of the subject of lighting. What the book explains is great but could have been condensed into a tenth of the size and still have maintained easy to access information (and probably cheaper too!).
The problem with the book's style is that it sets out to make things easy; too easy. To explain what settings the camera is set to for each shot (Camera mode, ISO, Aperture, Shutter, lens) apparently requires half a page, which seems like a good idea but it dawns on you that in fact this is simply wasting a large number of pages and thereby padding out an otherwise slim volume of knowledge.
The same philosophy has been applied throughout, so for instance 'Why I include the power settings' takes a third of a page to explain and half a page to show the back of a strobe flash (remember that was 'Why' I include, not any actual information).
Similar treatment is carried out time and again as for instance, a full page dedicated to why a special bonus chapter has been added for hot shoe flash users - not actually the information but waffle and meaningless pictures - all looks very important and pretty but also pretty uninformative.
I have also to question why we are treated to so much Photoshop technique - basic Photoshop treatment. If you have forked out for Photoshop then you have probably spent a lot of time and money learning how to use it and if your are adventurous, also looked at the hundreds of free tutorials on how to obtain effects. The author though, drags you through some pretty basic techniques that you should probably already be either capable of or aware of, and which can be better garnered from the Web.
I have a little handbook produced by Portaflash which came with my first strobe lighting kit. This, in a few pages and some excellent simple graphics and photo examples, goes through very concisely and clearly the basics of lighting, providing you as the user the basics on which to experiment and learn through practice about what lighting works.
Overall then, I found this book terribly disappointing. I felt it was padded out and lacked depth. I liked the philosophy of the book's style but apart from one or two useful explanations this did not make up for what basically was a re-hash of material already available for free on the Web or simply through stacking up a couple of strobes yourself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Retouch it (quickly light it and shoot it), 13 Sept. 2013
The book should have been named "Retouch it (quickly light it and shoot it)" due to the larger part is dedicated to retouching and just a quick glance at lighting the subject and even a quicker glance at shooting (the shooting part is only the shutter speed, ISO and aperture values he used.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Best by a mile, 18 Dec. 2011
D. C. Blanchard (United kingdom) - See all my reviews
Having bought quite a few of these sort of books, i can say without a doubt that if your looking for a step up from basics, then this book will serve you well. Shows you how he lights a shoot then processes it, very useful stuff. I recommend it highly.

2.0 out of 5 stars 15% lighting 85% photoshop, 29 Sept. 2011
In one sense this is quite good but as I wanted a book on lighting setups most of it was wasted. It's all about retouching, removing blemishes, high pass sharpening etc which is all well and good but not what I wanted. There were a few useful tips I picked up but my rating is based on the fact I wish I'd bought something else. Also worth pointing out that the contact sheets are at a terrible resolution as to be almost worthless which on an iPad is criminal. Hope this review helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but biased to the retouching, 5 April 2013
Amazon Customer (Cahir, Co. Tipperary Ireland) - See all my reviews
I have a number of Scott Kelby books and they are all excellent. This one is too but not quite for my needs. I expected more of a balance between the lighting and the retouching but in terms of page count it is heavily biased to the retouching. It is necessary of course but in a controlled studio situation, with tethered shooting for easier shot analysis, you should be able to minimise the need for the retouching.
It is good that Scott uses lighting gear that is within budget for serious enthusiasts (that's if you exclude the £800 ring flash) but the book could benefit from some tips to save money with a bit of DIY. Some outdoor shooting with radio triggers would have been a useful addition too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't recommend this book enough, 8 Jan. 2014
Miss A. E. Hoyle (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This book is brilliant and does exactly what it says on the cover.

There are excellent photographs from various angles showing lighting set ups, contacts sheets from each shoot and finally very in depth, easy to follow, step by step instructions on how to professionally retouch images.

Also provided (for you to download) are the exact images he works with so it makes it that much easier to follow along. In doing this I found it very useful and learnt skills I could apply to my own images.

Lastly, the book is written in a likeable, easy to read tone and you just feel like the author is a friend!

Such an excellent book I would recommend it in an instant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Money well spent, 1 Jun. 2012
This books great for anyone who want's to know more about the lighting setups in the studio.
I also like the way Scott Kelby doesn't leave us amateurs confused with tecno babble!
I was looking for a book that focuses on portrait studio photography & this book does exactly that. If you use photoshop for touching, then this book teaches you what you need to do to improve most aspects of your pictures.
It's easy to follow Kelby's tutorials & the Photos/layout make it so much easier. It's full of good tips on gear you should have.
A must for any photographer wanting to perfect studio lighting. Buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says in the tin, 1 Mar. 2013
Very solid book, Im learning a lot from it.

As the title says, it has a bit of everything - instructions on lighting, settings and photo edition. The part I enjoyed the most was the "making of" photos (a nice plus that other photos with instructions on studio lighting dont have), and the photo edition part (Photoshop made easier with illustrative photos of each step).

The only "flaw" on this book (so to speak) is that it actually makes you wish you see this kind of analysis for more and more and more photos. Very good purchase and I definitely recommend it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›