Published 18 months ago by M. Kelly

2.0 out of 5 stars No repair outside of 12 month warranty
I ordered a pair from Amazon.de which saved a few pounds.

Comfy, lightweight, and decent sound.

Left channel stopped working after about 15 months and Philips do not offer any repair service outside of the 12 month warranty period.
They did provide a 30% off voucher for their online website, which would bring the price for a replacement down to...
Published 8 months ago by JB of London

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Headphones, Great Price. Couldn't Recommend More Highly!, 27 Jan 2013
M. Kelly - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips SHB9100/00 Bluetooth Stereo Headset - Black/White (Electronics)
These headphones weren't bought from Amazon, and were a bit of an impulse buy on the way through an airport a couple of months ago. I'd forgotten my B&W P5's on a trip, and wanted some relatively cheap 'n' cheerful headphones to use with my iPhone. I thought that I'd give these a try, especially with them being Bluetooth compatible, so that I could listen to my tunes wirelessly. I must admit though, that I wasn't expecting too much in comparison to my P5's, at four times the price.

But something strange happened. I started using them on my trip, and was really blown-away with how good they sounded. At first I thought that my mind must be playing tricks on me. Surely these couldn't be as good as my P5's? I put these considerations to the back of my mind for the time being, and just enjoyed using them. The sound they produce via the Bluetooth connection is simply glorious. The treble is open and transparent, and whilst the bass may not be particularly deep (so maybe no good for Dr. Dre fans!?), to my ears the bass is tuneful and proportionate using a wide range of music from classical to rock/pop.

And oh, what a joy to be without wires! After using a wireless headset, you realise just what a PIA that little wire between your head and your phone/MP3 is! I felt liberated whilst listening to these headphones, free from tangle and weight, and felt I could move with the music completely unhindered. These headphones also double as a Bluetooth headset that I could use with my iPhone, so they are both music headphones and telephone headset in one, and switching between the two is seamless. The microphone for the telephone is extremely discretely built into the headphone housing. Philips also include a regular 3.5mm jack cord, so you can choose to use them in wired configuration rather than by Bluetooth only if you wish.

When I returned back home I did an interesting comparison with my P5's. And remember that these two sets of cans are both about the same size, both 'on ear' designs. I compared the wired P5's (no Bluetooth functionality anyway) to the SHB9100's operating via Bluetooth. What I discovered was startling. Did the P5's sound better? Yes, of course. And so they should, at four times the price. But we're they four times better than the SHB9100's? Far from it, IMHO.

My initial impression about these headphones was correct. They are a wonderful set of headphones, and a proverbial 'steal' at the price they sell for. I really do not have any criticisms at all, given the sound quality and price they sell for, and I would be happy to dispense with my P5's in favour of these, given the sound quality they provide and the ultimate convenience of wireless Bluetooth transmission they offer. Bye-bye P5's!

Some reviewers have expressed reservations concerning build quality, and the lack of a carry-bag. Yes, thee is no carry case, and the ear-pads are covered with synthetic leather, rather than real leather. And the construction, although very strong, is a little plasticky. But these are 70 headphones, not 200 headphones, and IMHO the money has been spent on getting the crucial things right, like sound quality, rather than in aesthetic extras.

I couldn't recommend these headphones more highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fanstastic sound and great battery life, 21 April 2012
Chris (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a decent set of headphones to use with an iPhone and PS Vita.

Considered several in the 50 to 130 price range :
Creative WP-350
JABRA HALO2 Wireless Headphones
Sennheiser PX 210 BT

I plan to use these for music at home mostly, so wasn't too interested in noise cancelling and as the neither the iPhone or Vita support apt-X I couldn't see the point to paying extra (the Sennheiser's) to get headphones that have apt-X

So I ended up with the Philips :

Light, but well made.
Clean simple design.
Great sound quality (You'd be hard pressed to tell they weren't wired).
Pads rest on the ears, rather than enclose the ears, so no sweaty ears.
Pair up with multiple device (not simultaneously, but you don't have to keep repairing when you swap devices)
Great battery life (I charged them on day one, and they still haven't gone flat yet after at least 10 hours use.)
I would have like some kind of storage case to be included.

In summary : Simple, but modern design headphones giving fantastic sound quality and great battery life. I'd buy another pair tomorrow if I broke the ones I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for wireless commuting, 6 Aug 2012
Tired of having to untangle my iPhone earphones every time I take them out of my bag, I decided to try going wireless with a pair of Bluetooth headphones. I initially bought the Creative WP350 but found them a very strange size - they are "on-ear" headphones but are not large enough to cover your ears fully (and I think I have average-sized ears) and so feel like they are constantly going to come off. After sending them back, I've struck gold with the Philips SHB9100/00.

Initially, I was looking for a small-ish pair of headphones, or at least one that folds up neatly to better fit in my work bag. The Philips doesn't do that (though the phones do rotate sideways which makes it a lot easier to slip inside a bag) and while the photos make the headphones look quite big, I'd describe them as medium-sized - bigger than the Creative WP350 "on-ear" style but smaller than the full-sized over-ear cups you see on some really heavy duty headphones. For me, it's perfect - I don't have the feeling that they're falling off or not big enough as I did with the WP350s (and indeed far less sound leakage as a result) but they aren't too big - the cups are cushioned and feel very comfortable.

In terms of sound quality, a lot has been said about this already below. I'm no audiophile, but even I can recognise the difference between my iPhone earbuds and these - the sound quality is very impressive, especially for something which is connecting via Bluetooth and is powered by a battery.

The Bluetooth connectivity has so far been brilliant - very easy to pair with my iPhone 4S and hasn't lost connection yet.

All in all, an excellent purchase - these headphones have great sound quality, feel very comfortable and look expensive and stylish, and provide exactly the sort of wire-free commute I was looking for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product love it, 16 April 2013
Mr. N. F. Plumb (Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England) - See all my reviews
I'd been in the market for a new pair of headphones as was sick of the default ones that came with products.

I had some specific requirements, that it must be wireless, must have media controls and a microphone for voice assistant support on phone, and hopefully block out any noisy passengers on the train and bus.

Happy to say this headset is great and very comfy, I have worn them all day long listening to music whilst I work.

The headset's volume slider control works independently to your device, where you device provides the master volume, I've found this quite useful really and can quickly up or down the volume satisfyingly.

The play/pause button is nice, but the controls are different to the stock in line controls on say an iPhone headphone with mic, and this is my only niggle with it, the action for activating voice control is the same as going to the previous song. So unfortunately you need to pause your media before activating voice assistant/control.

This is something you get used to, most people I know though aren't bothered by this as they rarely if ever use their voice control/assistants.

Sound quality is superb and so is the comfort of the cans on your ears.

I was very surprised and impressed when I was able to keep these on my head whilst mountain biking, Not sure how they'd fair for runners, they can slip off your head at certain extreme angles or sudden violent movements (so no extreme vigorous head banging while wearing these ;-) ) but for general and even moderate movement they stay put.

People have commented how nice they look and comfortable and sound really nice too, also people on the other end of the phone and skype calls can hear me clearly (not so much in windy environments, but what non professional microphone is? Not a priority when many other factors affect phone calls anyway)

When using with the wired adapter these only function as headphones, all controls and mic do not seem to function which is a shame, but more reason to stay wireless.

If a newer model became available with adjusted controls (eg dedicated next/previous buttons or some other gesture for voice activation, or other well thought out control) and could keep media controls working when wired, I would be very interested.

Till then excellent product with a few personal issues, if you actively use voice control on your devices whilst listening to music that is.

I can recommend it and I'm very picky with tech.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, 16 Jan 2013
I am new to Bluetooth and most of all wanted something easy to use. This product does what I need, out of the box, easy quick start instruction, quick to charge. Easy to switch on, paired with my tablet immediately and with nothing to confuse a novice like me.
The headphones are very lite and comfortable, very happy with the feel and comfort of them on my head. Good range from a different room as well.
Control of play back from my tablet is fine, no lag or flutter and the on headset controls for volume, skip, back and on or off are simple to use.
Now having decided to go Bluetooth I deliberately spent less on a wireless speaker to allow me to spend more on headphones as I listen to music on cans most of the time. Happy to say sound quality is very good and better than my aging and now redundant wired cans which cost a lot money some years ago.
All in all I am delighted with the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Look no further, you've found the hidden gem, 20 Jan 2013
After an endless amount of earbuds over the years, I set my sights on a proper headset for Christmas. After a lot of research I ended up putting these on my wish list and have not been disappointed.

= SOUND
Sound quality is incredible if you come from mostly using earbuds. Bass is present and, unlike some other headphones one can think of, not overpowering. I have noticed quite some distortion on very high notes in classical choir music (from the soundtrack of Les Choristes), but even the speakers on my Macbook have a bit of trouble handling those. Equally, the call experience is quite good and if you can make yourself understood and hear a conversation on the crowded stairs coming out of a London tube station with a single bar, there's very little room for complaints.
= USABILITY
Overall I think the controls are very intuitive and quick to respond. There has indeed been an instance where pressing the main button would call my last dialed number, but I'm not sure what the big problem was for the other user as in general you would think you would turn of your bluetooth when not using the headphones. This immediately keeps the headphones from being active, saving battery life, and prevents that unfortunate use of the call back button.
= CONNECTIVITY
Connects flawlessly with my Nexus 4, Nexus 7 and Macbook. I do get quite a bit of interference on my Macbook, specifically at work, but I suspect that interference from the resource heavy magic mouse and working in an IT company with a lot of wireless equipment clogging the airwaves has something to do with it. This brings me to the next plus however.
= FLEXIBILITY
Being able to pop in the provided cable is a huge plus. Sound quality is slightly better using it, but the main benefit is that I can just plug them in whenever I get signal distortion or, even better, when the battery falls out.
= BATTERY
Battery life is very good. First charge lasted me 3 days, constantly using it during the day except for at my work station when it was plugged in using the cable. Using it also doesn't seem to impact the battery life of my Nexus 4 that much, which I find astonishing as I've had problems with other bluetooth products impacting the battery life of my smartphones.
= PRICE
Considering decent wireless headphones used to cost a limb, these are the best bang for the buck. Sure, you have the 20 pound bargain headphones, but we all know those are just a step up from earbuds which are unlikely to last long.

CONCLUSION
For those looking for a product that lasts, is actually stylish (I'm looking at you Sennheiser), and provides the wireless sound and call experience you want, this should probably be your main contender.

5.0 out of 5 stars Serious money for serious quality, 3 April 2012
Ordered on the Tuesday evening, and delivered Thursday morning, not a bad start at all, and it gets better.

I had always thought that bluetooth wouldn't be able to handle music, especially classical, but it does it with room to spare. I have themn married up to a Galaxy S2 running Double Twist as my player. This way I can find the right equaliser setting for the different genres, because with these headphones it makes every difference. Of course, when you are comparing phones of this quality to a pair of ordinary buds it's not that hard to be impressed, but these really are good quality; bass to treble is dynamic, and the clarity means you get all the detail, better than being there.

Signal strength is good, I can leave the phone on the desk, charging up, and still wander round the house without losing quality. The controls are simplicity, e.g...one touch to the headphone to pause, or to pick up an incoming call, 2 touches to redial last number. And yes, the microphone does pick up your voice, even though it is embedded in one of the h/phones.

If you are serious about listening to your music, and you don't want to miss a call, then this is the headset for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Pleased!, 28 Feb 2013
I looked through many reviews on various websites for a pair of bluetooth earphones around the 50-80 price range and these Philips SHB9100/00 consistantly were highly rated by everyone, so I took the plunge and bought a set and I am very glad that i did. They are a nice size not too big and bulky, and they stay on the head well without slipping even when using them while on my treadmill. The sound is excellent and so far I have had no problem connecting them to my various devices, my samsung galaxy3, my samsung 10.2 tablet and my two home pc's. If you are looking for a nice set of bluetooth earphones, not too expensive and of good quality then these are well worth consideration. In my opinion.....a great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing headphones, 9 Sep 2012
P. A. Evans (London) - See all my reviews
I got this when they dropped to 58, i haven't owned a pair of Philips headphones before, only Sony, thus i was taking a chance on this.

After using them every day for a whole week, i can safely say they are one of my best buys.

Not are the only one of the most comfortable (on the ear) headphones i've ever wore, the sound quality is superb over both bluetooth and wired and the battery life does indeed last 9 to 10 hours.

I use bluetooth mostly because i want absolute freedom around my house and the range on these is amazing, definitely at least 15 meters.

I pair these to my PC downstairs in my living room and play music via Winamp with Team Speak 3 on in the background in case one of my online buddies wishes to speak to me; then i walk through around my house / garden doing my chores, so whether i'm n the garden weeding, brushing my teeth in the bathroom or emptying the dishwasher in the kitchen, i've always got non stop music on the go to keep me entertained!

When the battery dies (indicated by a lot of beeping), i simply return them to charge for an hour and a half, if i wish to use them in that time, i plug in the cable.

The cable is a little on the short side but a 3'5 cable extension is a quick and cheap solution to extend it.

Another nice feature of these head phones is if paired and set as default device, they automatically connect to the bluetooth source once switched on.

Overall, i am very happy with these headphones.

The only downside i can find on these is the fact they sound bleed, there is no privacy with these, so if you are listening to music that you may feel would embarrass you if others heard it, these are not for you.

Just a few tips:

My bluetooth adapter is a recent purchase from Amazon also, a Hama Class 1 Version 3.0 Nano Bluetooth USB Adapter with EDR.

Not only is it more up to date than the common v2.1 bluetooth adapters, it is also a more powerful one promising a range of up to 100m instead of the usual 10m offered by class 2.

I haven't tried these headphones with a class 2 adapter so i couldn't commend whether or not the range is worse os if you're serious about moving over to bluetooth wireless listening around your house (from a PC), i'd get the above mentioned adapter.

Another thing i've noticed is that these headphones should be set at 93% volume, any higher causes a high pitched background noise.

I hope you enjoyed my review, if you wish to see a video review of these, it can be found on youtube (i used it as a deciding factor before i purchased myself) :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Headphones are forever..., 30 Aug 2012
R. Patel "Bush4ever" (Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are smashing wireless headphones, they have good sound clarity and good bass, not over-powering. They are solid build and very comfortable, something I expect from Philips brand.

You can tell they have spent time and thought on the design and the controls for wireless use is great. You can use this wired as well, so that is an added bonus. But, I prefer these babies wireless.

You have the control funstion on the right headphone and simple touch can pause etc. It is responsive and good. I like the comfort of these phones, and it is pleasing to use on the London underground.
This is where they come in handy on the underground, where I can sit back and listen to music peacefully, until I reach work, lol.

But, it is very good and functional in noise cancelling, I couldn't hear a sound, while i was on the tube, not even the station announcer. The bluetoth on my android phone was clear and I had no hissing or cackling. I guess it all depends on the bluetooth connection, but my phone and my wifes seem clear as I would expect.
Nice Bluetooth headphones and a good price. Definetly 5 star as it ticks all the right boxes.